Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Cock Soup posted:

Part of an ongoing project of doing a full album of beats using only sample from Quebec music. I'd be glad to have some feedback as to the production/general mood.

https://soundcloud.com/angelure/chanson-triste-pour-gens

This sounds really cool. Trippy, almost BoCesque, and that's me listening on crappy laptop speakers. Could you get some variation on the drums, like a fill or something? That would be my only suggestion.

This is a track I sent Thndrthf so he could diss it like a motherfucking year ago... Being a wage-slave and moving twice hasn't let me produce much poo poo but I'm getting back on track. I wanted to get your opinions on the mixing of the different instruments, cos I don't think I'm adding anything else to it and just want to get the mix to sound as best as possible. I'm going for the mysterious, psychedelic poo poo, with weird samples and stuff. Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: btw do you guys have any tutorial or any primer on how the gently caress does Nebula3 work? Kind of lost there but everyone I read reviewing it says it's wonderful.

KaosPV fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

As far as the mix is concerned, I'd only go for a bassier/kickier kick, right now he's completely swallowed by the bass line. Apart from that, maybe add some kind of panning effect on your samples and perhaps experimenting a lil more with the drums (going with the psychedelic theme). All in all the track sounds great tho.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Cock Soup posted:

As far as the mix is concerned, I'd only go for a bassier/kickier kick, right now he's completely swallowed by the bass line. Apart from that, maybe add some kind of panning effect on your samples and perhaps experimenting a lil more with the drums (going with the psychedelic theme). All in all the track sounds great tho.

Hmm, you mean crazy panning examples, like "from ONE EAR to anOTHERrrrr and back" or what? What kind of experimenting with drums? Fills and stutters, a la DJ Shadow in "building steam...", or dubby delays or what?

And yeah your criticism of the kick totally applies, it was me trying to balance it with the bass but it ended up being weak, will try to get it back in force. Thanks for the compliment on the track, you don't think it's too long/stretched? I kind of like the reverbed washy filtered pad and the sci-fi sounds.

I'm putting your track on my mp3 btw.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I like how loud your mix is.

What did you do it on? I don't recognize your signal chain, it has an odd quality I can't put my finger on, it sounds like the middle is "empty" but not in a bad way, just really spacious or something.

Can you please spill the beans on your program / process, I always have thought you have a cool sound and I don't know how you achieve it. It's very cool and tropical or some poo poo, even when you are doing noisy stuff.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Been mucking around with this the past few days.
https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/gallons

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land
Hey THNDRTHF, you still using that Cold beat from my soundcloud?

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

THNDRTHF posted:

I like how loud your mix is.

What did you do it on? I don't recognize your signal chain, it has an odd quality I can't put my finger on, it sounds like the middle is "empty" but not in a bad way, just really spacious or something.

Can you please spill the beans on your program / process, I always have thought you have a cool sound and I don't know how you achieve it. It's very cool and tropical or some poo poo, even when you are doing noisy stuff.

Haha, do you mean me (this is proof of my producer low self-esteem)?

If so, of course I can send you all the details, once I get home and have a look at the Ableton file for that project. You're a loving long distance hip-hop mentor and between you and some guys in this thread have taught me a lot of poo poo, so anything I can give back won't be enough.
I have to replace the keyboard on my laptop today, but if I can't today, I'll send you an PM over the weekend. If anyone is interested, send me an MP and I'll tell you too.

I like the "it's very cool and tropical or some poo poo".

KaosPV fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 11, 2013

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

KaosPV posted:

Hmm, you mean crazy panning examples, like "from ONE EAR to anOTHERrrrr and back" or what? What kind of experimenting with drums? Fills and stutters, a la DJ Shadow in "building steam...", or dubby delays or what?

And yeah your criticism of the kick totally applies, it was me trying to balance it with the bass but it ended up being weak, will try to get it back in force. Thanks for the compliment on the track, you don't think it's too long/stretched? I kind of like the reverbed washy filtered pad and the sci-fi sounds.

I'm putting your track on my mp3 btw.

Thanks a lot. And yeah, you pretty much understood perfectly what I meant through my comment. It's definitely not too long because you always bring in new/interesting twists. The only way I could see it become boring or stretched is because of the drum that could seem a wee-bit too straightforward compared to the rest of the instrumentation.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Hey THNDRTHF, you still a scrub? :c00lbert:
get at me son

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Tokit posted:

Hey THNDRTHF, you still a scrub? :c00lbert:
get at me son

shut up debit

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

SHOPPA 4 LYFE posted:

Hey THNDRTHF, you still using that Cold beat from my soundcloud?

you never re-sent the correct stems, i'm missing like half the beat

unrelated: i hope camels rear end gently caress tiktok without a rubber on because why would a Camelus bactrianus or Camelus dromedarius find the need for birth control when copulating with such pedantic scum :confused:

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

made this last night for a free mixtape that 'modern folk of america' blog is putting out b/c the name is very misleading and he writes about all sorts of DIY music

anyways i thought i'd share cuz it's all live instrumentation, i played every single thing on here (the drum-kit sounding thing is my new cajón)

its "smoooooth"

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
https://soundcloud.com/jcwbeats/dweep

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
hmmmm what do you guys think about this one https://soundcloud.com/jcwbeats/ladiespls/s-kzSnz

edit: or maybe this version https://soundcloud.com/jcwbeats/ladiesplsbreak/s-KRLdz

JCW fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 16, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I like the 2nd one more by a lot.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

whooooo https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/whats-new/ only $199 now

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/billfold

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Does anyone know how to get that distorted 808 Jeezy sound? I've been loving with 808 samples and sine waves and have had no luck at all.

In case that doesn't make sense, this sound around 2:13

https://soundcloud.com/phillybaby/sipslow

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

really really dig this a lot. sounds like older 9th wonder or something. on point with the samples for sure

dk2m posted:

Does anyone know how to get that distorted 808 Jeezy sound? I've been loving with 808 samples and sine waves and have had no luck at all.

that's a tuned 808 kick with a poo poo-ton of compression on it and the EQ so maxed out on the bottom end that it's causing the limiter on the mix to clamp down every time it hits. i personally think it sounds like rear end but if you wanna emulate that sound, throw a kick in a sampler, put a compressor on the track with a really low threshold and the ratio cranked to like 8:1, EQ it, and put an adaptive limiter across the whole mix. thats what i would do anyways. but yeah i think it sounds like a big digital butt.

i really love the sample that kicks in when things get 'lush' here but the cymbal sound is really obtrusive and is sort of driving me crazy

in unrelated news, i picked up Logic Pro X and i loving love it so far, the ipad integration is amazing

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

i really love the sample that kicks in when things get 'lush' here but the cymbal sound is really obtrusive and is sort of driving me crazy

thought about that, thanks for confirming. I think it work in 1/4s at the beginning but the 1/8s are too much but it sounded weird when I changed crash samples in between.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

thought about that, thanks for confirming. I think it work in 1/4s at the beginning but the 1/8s are too much but it sounded weird when I changed crash samples in between.

yeah, exactly, the beginning sounds trashy and cool, when it gets into the eighth notes it sort of overpowers the rest of the beat, not so much volume-wise, but because the timbre jumps out at you so much

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

yeah, exactly, the beginning sounds trashy and cool, when it gets into the eighth notes it sort of overpowers the rest of the beat, not so much volume-wise, but because the timbre jumps out at you so much

Yeah i tried to EQ out the punch but it's still grating. I think I need a different sample and maybe some more reverb. The snare is lacking a little too and it has nothing to hide behind in those beat breaks.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
my scruffy amiiigo only one killin y'all bitch made mcs live on the radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0q8VhQhSic&feature=youtube_gdata_player

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this settles iit

@JustBlaze: Sample a toilet flushing I don't care. Just make it good. “@salutations07: @Me What's the importance of sampling a vinyl vs regular wav ”

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

but if you were debating that in the first place you are a clown of the highest order.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

THNDRTHF posted:

this settles iit

@JustBlaze: Sample a toilet flushing I don't care. Just make it good. “@salutations07: @Me What's the importance of sampling a vinyl vs regular wav ”

Also Izotope has an awesome free vinyl plugin soooo

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

whoknew posted:

Also Izotope has an awesome free vinyl plugin soooo

This pretty much. You can get some cool sounds with Camel Crusher too, which is also free.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
HEY i need help with this mix!

https://soundcloud.com/satellite-test/algernon-remix-wip

the first verse is a guy that recorded in a different room than I did, and I'm trying to 'match' it to the timbre of my mic and signal chain but it's still not quite there b/c his recording has a much just different character than mine.

just curious if anybody has any tips about this kinda poo poo, or if you know of any good metering tools to use for this poo poo.

thanks dudez

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

If you have a transient plugin you can mess with the sustain on his part, it sounds like his has some corny reverb/delay thing going on.

Also I think Zynaptiq Unveil does basically what you're talking about but it's stupid expensive if I remember correctly.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/on-train-just-earbuds

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

holy poo poo, this is so good. it's not really my style or i'd be begging you to rap on it hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
OH YEAH here's what i ended up with for the other track. not perfect but good enough, especially cuz last dude on the track sent me a single file of all his main vox and acapellas on the same track that had already been overcompressed to hell

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.
recorded a rough lil something to that "withoutyou" beat the other day. worst mix ever

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

holy poo poo, this is so good. it's not really my style or i'd be begging you to rap on it hahaha

Thanks dude! that means a lot coming from you.

I've been digging the hell out of this guy's stuff lately:
https://soundcloud.com/wun-two/eat-more-greens-another

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks dude! that means a lot coming from you.

psssh whatever

it is a really sick beat tho i've just sorta started to recognize what type of poo poo i sound the best on and it's generally not stuff that is so dramatic. somebody is gonna rip that poo poo up tho, for sure

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
oh also, bay area types, or anybody who's gonna be in the area

i'm opening for blueprint and illogic in august 10th at the legionnaire's tavern in oakland

i'm doin a couple of songs with jesse dangerously at slim's in SF on august sixth

please come say hello!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Looking for some critique on this. Nothing is compressed, eq'd, or mixed but I feel like I have solid samples and I just can't get a consistent groove off them. Right now I kind of just have them as drops on top of the main melody and it feels kind of jumpy or staccato or whatever the technical word for real obtrusive is.

https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/d-porter/s-XNQuz

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 25, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Freddie Gibbis posted:

oh also, bay area types, or anybody who's gonna be in the area

i'm opening for blueprint and illogic in august 10th at the legionnaire's tavern in oakland

i'm doin a couple of songs with jesse dangerously at slim's in SF on august sixth

please come say hello!

We are gonna be up in your area in like 3 days doing some marketing for a new clothing company and I would love to meet your doge and wifey if at all possible as well as be graced by the presence of your majestic beard

I will PM you my info let's get some craft IPA and discuss obscure late 90s hardcore 45s or something bruh

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

We are gonna be up in your area in like 3 days doing some marketing for a new clothing company and I would love to meet your doge and wifey if at all possible as well as be graced by the presence of your majestic beard

I will PM you my info let's get some craft IPA and discuss obscure late 90s hardcore 45s or something bruh

word sounds good. ill hit you up this weekend, busy today but ill get at ya tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

gonna mess with this more

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 29, 2013

• Locked thread