Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any first world war games out there (that are good)?

Some people think pretty highly of Commander: The Great War. Jakse did a pretty good LP of it that you can find at the LP Archive, http://lparchive.org/Commander-The-Great-War/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The best way to learn WITE is to just play some of the super short scenarios, the descriptions tell you what you should be learning from it. Or you could just play a Grand Campaign in multiplayer, that is always fun. Just don't be like Lord Windy and stop doing turns and not responding to PMs or emails. (I am still pretty mad about that.)

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any first world war games out there (that are good)?

Personally I'm a fan of Strategic Command: World War One.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm a big fan of the Decisive Campaigns games but only because we've got goon group running games.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rogue0071 posted:

Speaking of which, the Breakthrough! expansion just got its 1.01 patch which includes an 1870 Franco-Prussian campaign. I haven't had time to try it yet, but I'm mildly amused that the official campaigns coming with a WW1 game now extend from 1870 to 1945...

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Other grand strategy WW1 games that are supposed to be good are 1) World War One Gold, or 2) Guns of August

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Llyranor posted:

Other grand strategy WW1 games that are supposed to be good poo poo are 1) World War One Gold, or 2) Guns of August

I think Commander and Strategic Command are really the ones to go for.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Are they? I remember reading favorable impressions on the two I've mentioned back when I was also looking for a WW1 game (never bit the bullet, though). Though, that was before Commander and Strategic Command came out, I think.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Commander is, like was said before, more of a Panzer Corps beer and Preztels game. Easier to play and easier to get into.

Strategic Command WW1 w/ Breakthrough is a deeper experience with loads of custom scenarios but takes a bit more to grasp.

Choose thy weapon.

Also WiTE is totally playable. Start with the loads of smaller campaigns given, read the manual, read the manual tutorial, and you'll "get" it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
WW1 Gold was a licence of the Ageod engine to some outside developers who crammed a shitload of features into it, I found it to be just an incomprehensible mess. Guns of August is better, but is pretty bland and tedious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of which, the Breakthrough! expansion just got its 1.01 patch which includes an 1870 Franco-Prussian campaign. I haven't had time to try it yet, but I'm mildly amused that the official campaigns coming with a WW1 game now extend from 1870 to 1945...

What does SC:WW1 have that reaches 1945? I'm curious. Is it just a bog-standard WW2 scenario?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Rogue0071 posted:

Reminder stratcom has a demo and it can't hurt to try.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Neither CGW or SC are "true" grognard games in a Gary Grigsby fashion, but otherwise they're deep strategy games, and highly playable. The AGEOD game at least should be more grognardy, but I recall it was released full of bugs and I have no idea if the Gold version made it playable?

gradenko_2000 posted:

What does SC:WW1 have that reaches 1945? I'm curious. Is it just a bog-standard WW2 scenario?

Yep, a WW2 scenario based on the SCWW1 European map. It's not all too exciting, but at least the huge SCWW1 map offers more possibilities for mobile maneuvers in Russia.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 5, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's the WW2 Scenario from gold with all the new bells and whistles and new units. Plus there are lots of WW2 scenarios made for SC:WW1

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like TOAOWIII's WWI scenarios.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Baloogan posted:

I like TOAOWIII's WWI scenarios.

That community is still rabidly active too, still churning out scenarios.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really like TOAOW. Operational level simulation is why I like wargames.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

The AGEOD game at least should be more grognardy, but I recall it was released full of bugs and I have no idea if the Gold version made it playable?

Yep, a WW2 scenario based on the SCWW1 European map. It's not all too exciting, but at least the huge SCWW1 map offers more possibilities for mobile maneuvers in Russia.

AFAIK the AGEOD WWI game wasn't actually made by the AGEOD guys (similar to Paradox's Crusader Kings 1 not being made by Paradox themselves) and that even the Gold Edition is still pretty crap. And by crap I mean according to the standards of the rest of the AGEOD games, which are slow, plodding affairs with lovely UIs.

And thanks for the SCWW1 clarification. I really need to get that one day.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That reminds me, I want to have another shot at Alea Jacta Est if anyone's up for it.

I had to concede the last PBEM I played because Winter Happened and I lost an entire theatre's forces to it. The UI in AGEOD games is... not appreciated.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 5, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I know people have suggested doing some of the smaller scenarios for War in the East but is there any good guides for it? The manual is of course, great but the amount of concepts it introduces is somewhat, well overwhelming.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

SkySteak posted:

I know people have suggested doing some of the smaller scenarios for War in the East but is there any good guides for it? The manual is of course, great but the amount of concepts it introduces is somewhat, well overwhelming.

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/ for the German side and for Russia: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535440&pagenumber=1

You have to get pretty far into both for all mechanics to be covered, but they were enough to get me to actually play a grand campaign online (gonna finish my turn eventually Grey Hunter!)

ElBrak posted:

The best way to learn WITE is to just play some of the super short scenarios, the descriptions tell you what you should be learning from it. Or you could just play a Grand Campaign in multiplayer, that is always fun. Just don't be like Lord Windy and stop doing turns and not responding to PMs or emails. (I am still pretty mad about that.)

I thought I had pm'd you back but just pick a scenario and side and we can start rolling again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Have a number 2x bigger than your opponent when attacking. Don't actually attack when you can bypass. Supplies come from railheads.

That's all the basics you need to know.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Have a number 2x bigger than your opponent when attacking. Don't actually attack when you can bypass. Supplies come from railheads.

That's all the basics you need to know.

Unless you are Russia in year one, then you can win if you match 1 to 1.

VVV Well I know, but if you are jonesing for some WitE (and don't mind continuing to whoop my rear end).

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 5, 2013

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Jakse posted:

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/ for the German side and for Russia: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535440&pagenumber=1

You have to get pretty far into both for all mechanics to be covered, but they were enough to get me to actually play a grand campaign online (gonna finish my turn eventually Grey Hunter!)

I thought I had pm'd you back but just pick a scenario and side and we can start rolling again.

Well I wasn't talking about you! Well I am hoping to get a Grand Campaign game going but if you don't wanna do that I am open to smaller scenarios.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jakse posted:

(gonna finish my turn eventually Grey Hunter!)

No worries, you've pretty much won. I don't know how to deal with the "run away" defense for the Russians. Plus the random weather crippled me at a critical moment.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

No worries, you've pretty much won. I don't know how to deal with the "run away" defense for the Russians. Plus the random weather crippled me at a critical moment.

Random weather is really, really unfair. I wish I had screenshots but during your biggest salients in the center and south it actually gave me snow and you mud on the most crucial turn for breakthroughs. I get that historical weather is easier for the Russians to plan, but holy poo poo, random weather did more to hurt you than I ever could.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

How to play around WITE's interface: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=416086011

For actual battle tactics: Use your infantry in Deliberate Attacks to open up gaps in the enemy's defensive line three hexes wide, then drive Panzers/Motorized/Mechanized units through the gap. It has to be three hexes so you don't incur additional MP costs. The first units you should be moving are the ones farthest back.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm playing around with Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg and I'm having a blast. Only played the Netherlands smaller scenario so far and managed to make them surrender two days before history :smug: (yeah I know it's a piss easy scenario). I'm really digging the card system, I messed about with the Sealion scenario a little bit and having all these different options was cool.

Baloogan posted:

I really like TOAOW. Operational level simulation is why I like wargames.
Yeah, TOAW 3 is pretty awesome, played a ton of it over the years.

gradenko_2000 posted:

similar to Paradox's Crusader Kings 1 not being made by Paradox themselves)
This is not true. Originally CK1 was being made by some Russian(?) dev, Snowball I think, for Paradox but they got fired for taking way too long (or something along those lines) and Paradox took over development themselves and pretty much re-wrote everything in ten months.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

I'm playing around with Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg and I'm having a blast. Only played the Netherlands smaller scenario so far and managed to make them surrender two days before history :smug: (yeah I know it's a piss easy scenario). I'm really digging the card system, I messed about with the Sealion scenario a little bit and having all these different options was cool.

Add your email to the list (if you haven't already) and we'll work you into the next game. Our Improved Equipment and Strategy Case White game is drawing to a conclusion.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

Can I upload a replay of Squad Battles - Vietnam to someone so they can tell me why I am so goddamned terrible at the tutorial mission?

Also, do those Google Earth Maps work with CO:BfG?

I think most of the tutorial missions are notoriously difficult. I haven't played Vietnam though. You might check on theblitz forums.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

vyshka posted:

I think most of the tutorial missions are notoriously difficult. I haven't played Vietnam though. You might check on theblitz forums.

Thanks for the advice!

In other related news, John Tiller, my boyfriend, Campaign Series is on sale for 20 dollars and you really really really need to buy it. You must. You have to. Buy it now. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/318/John.Tiller's.Campaign.Series A gazillion scenarios in the game, made from players, still played competitively. Buy it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Necroneocon posted:

In other related news, John Tiller, my boyfriend, Campaign Series is on sale for 20 dollars and you really really really need to buy it. You must. You have to. Buy it now. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/318/John.Tiller's.Campaign.Series A gazillion scenarios in the game, made from players, still played competitively. Buy it.

Yeah this game has a poo poo-ton of content, and is special because it covers land battles in the Pacific.

EDIT: Oh jesus why did Battlefront have to go on sale the week before payday :smith:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 9, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So apparently, a year ago, Combat Mission: Shock Force got a retail release in Russia with all three modules for a total price of about :10bux:. On one hand I'm happy that studying Russian finally paid off, on the other hand, gently caress you Battlefront. We should get them on Steam or something.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Necroneocon posted:

It looks like a nightmare to play though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

It looks like a nightmare to play though.

Yeah this is definitely a price at which I'm looking very hard at the game rather than just laughing at it, but it looks suspiciously painful UI-wise.

If your game has over 350 official scenarios then you can work up a demo with just two of them.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
The UI isn't bad at all. If you played Squad Battles or Panzer Campaigns it's really simple.

Look, i'm an idiot with Grognard games, but I understood the game after I read the manual. Plus there are loads of tutorial missions with written documents.

Trust me, it's good. John Tiller is God of Grognard Games

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would consider buying it if there was a demo but I'm not going anywhere near that interface sight unseen for $20.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

uPen posted:

I would consider buying it if there was a demo but I'm not going anywhere near that interface sight unseen for $20.

You are seriously the God of WitE (who taught me how to play with your amazing LP), the interface honestly isn't as bad as you think. Maybe there is a demo via google search.

Again, I am a grognard idiot, but with John Tiller games i'm actually multiplaying on The Blitz with people and I never do that.

I hope you find a demo, because JTCS is really one of the best grognard games ever made.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well there certainly are a shitload of scenarios

It may just be worth it to learn about forgotten little corners of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
There are also really good player made scenarios/mods as well. The game still has a huge following (in Grognard terms)