Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brucio
Nov 22, 2004

I could be wrong, but I think this has been on their website for a while. Either way, it's quite the fib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

I swear I heard them saying something at least similar months ago.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah I don't think Holyday has much of a chance either. That's a strong Liberal riding provincially, and frankly he's 71. I don't think he's going to have the energy around him to change the status quo.

Not that strong. In the last two elections, it's been a bit more Liberals, (+13% over the OLP provincial result in 2011, +4% in 2007), but the OLP has tended to underperform a bit in the riding (-2% in 2003, -4% in 1999, -4% in 1995). The CPC managed to wrangle this seat away from a sitting LPC party leader in 2011.

You've got a high-profile city councillor who will have the full backing of the Ford machine in the Fords' backyard. In a low-turnout August election, that'll matter. The OLP aren't safe here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, it's not new by any means and is this weird thing where they're claiming every accomplishment of every single predecessor right-wing party and ignoring the faults and mistakes of those same. It's disingenuous to say the least, and seemed to be part of some weird strategy last year where Harper tried to imply the NDP is the exact same party as the CCF when saying something like "the NDP did not once vote in support of the war against Hitler", neverminding the NDP didn't exist until 1961.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not that strong. In the last two elections, it's been a bit more Liberals, (+13% over the OLP provincial result in 2011, +4% in 2007), but the OLP has tended to underperform a bit in the riding (-2% in 2003, -4% in 1999, -4% in 1995). The CPC managed to wrangle this seat away from a sitting LPC party leader in 2011.

You've got a high-profile city councillor who will have the full backing of the Ford machine in the Fords' backyard. In a low-turnout August election, that'll matter. The OLP aren't safe here.

I wouldn't put too much weight in the fact the CPC was able to wrangle this seat from Igniateff. He wasn't exactly a successful politician, if you ask me.

The OLP candidate Peter Milzcyn has been involved in politics in the riding going back to the early 1990's and is possibly as far on the right politically as Doug Holyday (who used to be mayor of Etobicoke if memory serves). They both sit on Rob Ford's executive committee, oddly enough.

Anyways, lots of history in this race and you're right it probably isn't that safe a Liberal seat. I'm curious to see if his affiliations with Rob Ford will hurt or help him. I can't forget Holyday's infamous quote about downtown Toronto, "I certainly think it’s really not the ideal place that people might want to raise their families." That pissed me off to no end. I suspect he's one bad day away from being Clint Eastwood, yelling at an empty chair and calling it a political statement.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

less than three posted:

This is the first time i recall seeing it, if its old news though then I apologize.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

less than three posted:

You are correct. I remember this quite some time ago. Nothing new.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

blackswordca posted:

This is the first time i recall seeing it, if its old news though then I apologize.

No worries. It looks like they put up a new page on their website about it so people noticed (again.)

Pretty sure they had another "Canada's Founding Party" thing before.

I don't have the exact news article/page, but here's an example of us making fun of it in the last thread.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-planned-to-repay-duffy-from-party-funds-but-balked-at-cost-files-show/article13012003/

Conservatives planned to repay Duffy from party funds, but balked at cost, files show

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
:wow:

Jesus Christ, how bad is the real story when what they're admitting is a blatant conspiracy to obstruct justice?

Also basically confirms all the earlier speculation about the real plan to pay Duffy out of the kitty and puts the lie to the Question period defence that there were no documents or agreements.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

To be fair the Conservatives didn't so much wrangle the riding away as they fell face first into it after Ignatieff performed a disappearing act. Their campaign was just as awful as his in the riding. Also I want to add that Southern Etobicoke isn't really the Ford's backyard. Sure we voted for him (don't remind me) but as the years went on he's become less and less popular down here and I don't think the Ford name does much for Holyday in his area. I'm still pretty convinced that the OLP has this seat, but it's politics so anything can happen.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Should be pointed out that Marjory Lebreton and James Moore are both huge lying sacks of poo poo since they both trotted out the Wright acted alone defence. I guess they were just desperate to keep a lid on those details while QP was still live.

PMO Counsel Benjamin Perrin is also a lying sack of poo poo since his denial of all involvement in the Wright Duffy negotiations has now been contradicted in RCMP documents filed in court, named as one of the half dozen people now involved in L'Affaire Duffy, but since he was obfuscating his involvement in an indictable offence it's a little more obvious why he was lying.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 5, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DynamicSloth posted:

Should be pointed out that Marjory Lebreton and James Moore are both huge lying sacks of poo poo since they both trotted out the Wright acted alone defence. I guess they were just desperate to keep a lid on those details while QP was still live.

A few more questions may be asked about LeBreton's resignation (literally two days ago) as Government Senate Leader now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Polls!

Windsor—Tecumseh
NDP 50
PC 22
OLP 17

Ottawa South (!!)
OLP 42
PC 38
NDP 17

London West
PC 36
NDP 29
OLP 24

Etobicoke—Lakeshore (this was pre-candidates being selected)
OLP 50
PC 26
NDP 21

These are all robopolls held over one day with not immensely big sample sizes, though, so. They didn't poll Scarborough—Guildwood.

e: Flubbed the Ott-Sou numbers.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 5, 2013

Archer
Oct 4, 2002

You were cool, man. Even when you were hasslin' me, you were cool.
A lot closer than I would have expected in Ottawa South. Maybe it's going to be a tight race after all. The article says OLP 42, PC 38 though.

Already saw a few John Fraser signs along Hunt Club yesterday.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Harper is reaching for the plausible deniability line, after repeatedly stating "the facts are clear", "we have clearly stated" blah blah. A PMO guy said he was surprised if Harper wasn't brief.

I'm thinking someone needs to put all of these statements together in a nicely produced video.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Archer posted:

A lot closer than I would have expected in Ottawa South. Maybe it's going to be a tight race after all. The article says OLP 42, PC 38 though.

Already saw a few John Fraser signs along Hunt Club yesterday.

I've seen some signs up as well and all I can think of is how goofy the provincial Liberals logo looks.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Nobody honestly believes Harper didn't know, if he hadn't his first reaction would have been to furiously and publicly upbraid and fire Wright, not heave him to his bosom and try to keep him in office for another week.

The Conservatives think plausible deniability is the same thing as truth because Harper can never admit knowing to the Duffy deal because it was on its face a criminal act.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ottawa is now officially in mourning. Pack up the politics, folks, 'cause the entire city is about to get drunk and very, very depressed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ottawa is now officially in mourning. Pack up the politics, folks, 'cause the entire city is about to get drunk and very, very depressed.

I know that whatever happens tonight, I won't remember it tommorow.

Why 11? WHY?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Why, exactly, are there all these entities lining up to pay off this tub of lard's ill-gotten extraction from the public purse? For the Conservatives to balk at the cost implies that they at least considering actually paying it - but why? As a goodwill gesture to a loyal 'one of their own'? Or something more sinister?

Prior to all this happening, I definitely would've presumed Harper/the Party's stance towards Duffy would've been "tough poo poo, you had a good ride, but it looks bad for all concerned so get yourself a line of credit and sort it out"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Why, exactly, are there all these entities lining up to pay off this tub of lard's ill-gotten extraction from the public purse? For the Conservatives to balk at the cost implies that they at least considering actually paying it - but why? As a goodwill gesture to a loyal 'one of their own'? Or something more sinister?

Prior to all this happening, I definitely would've presumed Harper/the Party's stance towards Duffy would've been "tough poo poo, you had a good ride, but it looks bad for all concerned so get yourself a line of credit and sort it out"

Read any report about Duffy earlier than February and it's clear he had zero intention of paying anything, he could drag his heals for years and the most they could do to him is kick him out of caucus. The problem for the PMO is that the story continuing would inevitably lead to all the other festering corruption in the Senate including the Prime Minister's still loyal creature, Wallin.

The CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY here was to bribe Duffy into paying in the hopes of making the story go away, if Nigel Wright was only acting in some altruistic defence of taxpayer money there are a bunch of other Senators' debts he could start picking up. Based on the documents released it looks like the RCMP are pursuing the quid pro quo on the other end as well following up on the link between Wright and Tkachuk.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Any bets on what the cabinet shuffle is going to look like?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Any bets on what the cabinet shuffle is going to look like?

Well we know Kent and Toews are being put out to pasture, I doubt there will be anything more shocking than that.

Hilariously, Harper's new Senate strategy is to pretend it doesn't exist and exclude a representative from Cabinet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Well we know Kent and Toews are being put out to pasture, I doubt there will be anything more shocking than that.

Hilariously, Harper's new Senate strategy is to pretend it doesn't exist and exclude a representative from Cabinet.

Apparently, the absence of a cabinet member in the Senate means that government bills can no longer originate in the Senate. There have been a bunch of government bills in the Senate lately, so this is a pretty substantial change. I'm happy any time the government takes steps to delegitimise the Senate.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
Is it normal to have Senators in cabinet, though? I thought it was a pretty unusual move in the first place for Harper to appoint one.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It was unusual (though not unprecedented) for Harper to appoint a senator to cabinet as head of a department - Michael Fortier was Minister of Public Works, and it's been very rare for senators to score "real" cabinet posts. The Leader of the Government in the Senate, however, has almost always been a Cabinet post. Wikipedia says only one Leader of the Government in the Senate hasn't been in Cabinet up to now, in 1926. This'll be the first time ever a government does not have a cabinet member in the Senate, and therefore no representative of the government at all in the upper house.

NDP thinking has been, incidentally, that the party would probably have to appoint one single Senator, or get someone to cross the floor, in order for the NDP to have a LGinS if it ever takes power.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

DynamicSloth posted:

Read any report about Duffy earlier than February and it's clear he had zero intention of paying anything, he could drag his heals for years and the most they could do to him is kick him out of caucus. The problem for the PMO is that the story continuing would inevitably lead to all the other festering corruption in the Senate including the Prime Minister's still loyal creature, Wallin.

The CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY here was to bribe Duffy into paying in the hopes of making the story go away, if Nigel Wright was only acting in some altruistic defence of taxpayer money there are a bunch of other Senators' debts he could start picking up. Based on the documents released it looks like the RCMP are pursuing the quid pro quo on the other end as well following up on the link between Wright and Tkachuk.

Humph, interesting analysis. Thanks.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I wonder if Harper has written off the entire Senate caucus and is just hoping that a new batch of appointees will have someone capable of toeing the party line without embarrassing everyone.

Hypnagogic Jerk
Dec 11, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was unusual (though not unprecedented) for Harper to appoint a senator to cabinet as head of a department - Michael Fortier was Minister of Public Works, and it's been very rare for senators to score "real" cabinet posts. The Leader of the Government in the Senate, however, has almost always been a Cabinet post. Wikipedia says only one Leader of the Government in the Senate hasn't been in Cabinet up to now, in 1926. This'll be the first time ever a government does not have a cabinet member in the Senate, and therefore no representative of the government at all in the upper house.
Isn't there a Question Period in the Senate? Who can answer senators' questions if no cabinet member at all has a seat in the Senate?

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Pinterest Mom posted:

NDP thinking has been, incidentally, that the party would probably have to appoint one single Senator, or get someone to cross the floor, in order for the NDP to have a LGinS if it ever takes power.

Interesting, I didn't know that- thanks! A funny way of dealing with the Senate, but if it makes it easier to eventually reform or abolish the thing I'm happy. With any luck, if the NDP ever takes power, they won't have to deal with that antiquated institution for very long.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Cost Cowboy and Rollback Viceroy
Toronto defender and economic mender
Blatant attacks won't make him collapse
Cause Mayor Ford will bounce right back
Mayor Ford, the world remembers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUx-Q-XD08

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Helsing posted:

Oh my God.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Why?

Why does this exist?

... then again, it could be worse. This is an official ad run by Mitch McConnell, leader of the Republican caucus in the US Senate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVkDbQz144

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Helsing posted:

This belongs in the OP.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

JESUS CHRIST that song.

-

I was here to post this, which is also, TBH, pointless distraction:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/02/turks-and-caicos-canadian-province-goldring_n_3536143.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

About a potential "tropical province"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Any makework project that keeps Goldring busy and off the roads is certainly a good idea.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:staredog: that video...

crowoutofcontext posted:

I was here to post this, which is also, TBH, pointless distraction:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/02/turks-and-caicos-canadian-province-goldring_n_3536143.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

About a potential "tropical province"

This is apparently the first my wife has heard of our tropical suitors, and it is less fun that is should be telling her why it will never happen.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Fiery explosions rock Quebec town as train carrying crude oil derails; hundreds evacuated

Doesn't sound like anyone was hurt, but still pretty awful:

Can't wait for this to be used as an excuse to justify pipelines.

e: here's a full gallery that really illustrates the level of destruction: http://imgur.com/gallery/GZQKA

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

Can't wait for this to be used as an excuse to justify pipelines.

It's already happening if you can bring yourself to read the comments on that NatPo article. :negative:

• Locked thread