Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Spent a couple of hours last night playing with a few friends, it's going to be a great game, I am glad that it seems to be very stable and it looks very pretty too.

when the dev implements everything on his checklist, it'll be a wonderful game, can't wait for pvp arenas.

I know he doesn't want to turn it into minecraft, but the option to have a pvp server with 'teams' building your own fort then attacking each other would be awesome, or some sort of castle siege mod.

anyway great game, not much to do for now but i'm very impressed with the stability and quality of the product, did not feel like an alpha to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This time the server crashed in such a way I can't force kill it, be back in a minute.
e: it's back 107.3.151.128 yo

VVV the save file isn't very big at all. wow

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 5, 2013

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It might have been my fault. I just decided to head in one direction as long as i could :v:.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What are the icons below your pets xp bar ?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Sendo posted:

No idea, but for a rabbit, it's refilled by letting it stand in water. Thirst, perhaps?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

The Mimic posted:

No idea, but for a rabbit, it's refilled by letting it stand in water. Thirst, perhaps?

Yeah it's thirst. If they run out then you won't be able to ride your pet until you refill them.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sendo posted:

As above, thirst. As long as they're near a source of water it refills pretty quickly. Edit: Only shows on pets which can be ridden, not all pets can be ridden.

http://www.twitch.tv/rawrbmb/b/425908844 crazy 7 hour stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_QlDnhazY this was our first mission kill (its about 2.5 hours into the stream), once you get over that hurdle its pretty awesome.

Had a good duh moment, harder to stealth when your lamp is on :downs:

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2013

Damone
May 3, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

This time the server crashed in such a way I can't force kill it, be back in a minute.
e: it's back 107.3.151.128 yo

VVV the save file isn't very big at all. wow

Hoppin' in. Let'see if latency is a big factor.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

The Crooked Warden posted:

This game really shines once you get a group together. My roommates recorded our first encounter with a Saurian and the resulting idiocy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPaqyOoDrc

Combat looks a lot like Tera which is only a good thing, I don't know why but I was picturing some 8-directional cube combat or something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Combat is incredibly smooth and action oriented; quick reflexes and a good sense of timing are absolutely vital to surviving combat with anything stronger than a chicken.

You have a dodge roll move. This is your best friend, learn to love it and it will love you.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Server admins, some guy on Reddit has made an auto-server-starter for crashing servers: http://www.reddit.com/r/CubeWorld/comments/1ho4ez/i_was_bored_so_i_made_an_automatic_server_restart/

No clue if it works properly on Windows 7 as the guy seems to have made it for Windows 8 but worth a shot if you are having crash issues.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Someone was asking about Portals a few pages back. They're in.

They don't teleport you somewhere randomly. They bring up the map interface, feels like you'll be able to zip back to any previously discovered portal. Happy to have found one, travelling from one "zone" to another takes AWHILE.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to freak out (in a good way) if the building system is fleshed out and server admins can set open PvP and looting. Helloooo anime minecraft action combat ultima online.

The fact that the developer (like most game developers) come off as someone who has their own special *~Vision~* for the game and probably won't allow a lot of player modification is kind of a huge buzzkill though. I'm sure there's not a small amount of people who want to take all the anime/JRPG influences from this game and completely forcibly remove them.

E: Yeah this pretty much seems like here's a co-op JRPG with action combat and massive servers won't ever be implemented. Which makes sense since from a technical perspective it's extremely difficult for 2 dudes a dude and his wife to make a massive online action combat open world game. A man can dream though...

vvv :woop: vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 5, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually if you look at the bottom of the features page you'll note that he does plan to test out a massively-multiplayer server architecture once the rest of the game is finished, so if all goes well you may indeed get your minecraft action combat ultima online.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Neruz posted:

Combat is incredibly smooth and action oriented; quick reflexes and a good sense of timing are absolutely vital to surviving combat with anything stronger than a chicken.

You have a dodge roll move. This is your best friend, learn to love it and it will love you.

I played a warrior for six or seven levels and I didn't get this. The roll is useless on most enemies (that attack way too quickly to make dodging worthwhile- the one with rogue attacks) but it's still moderately useful on slower enemies. As a warrior, it feels like there isn't enough you can do to really edge combat in your favor. You can block, but only for about half a second, with a shield (or somewhat as a guardian with any weapon)

Wizard has been exactly as you said so far, though. As a warrior I absolutely had to heal after every fight, but I went the first four levels as wizard without healing at all, just dodging/shooting and not getting hit. It's been a lot more fun. So I hope I'm either missing something as warrior, or they go and improve it a bit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It definitely has the whole single-player MMO design aesthetic going on pretty strongly. Which is fine for the most part, I don't mind the gigantic world and the slow scale of progression. I just wish this game had enemy scaling like Diablo because at this point it is just so tedious to fight your way through dungeons and bosses have so much hp that I just avoid them entirely and miss out on a large part of the game.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, agreed. The dungeons are a mess, made messier by the fact that the difficulty seems completely random - as in, not dependent on your own level or your distance from the starting area. However, I suspect they're not balanced for a single person. My guess is that everything is balanced for four people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Warriors are pretty bland yeah. I'd recommend you play one of the other classes.

Where Warriors really shine is in multiplayer though; a good well equipped guardian can tank a boss all day while the rogues, rangers and mages dance around laying down the pain.

And yes; the game is currently set up for 4 player co-op. Dungeons especially pretty much need 4 players, as do bosses. With a bit of grinding and quick reflexes you can take out weaker bosses on your own but it takes loving forever.

I imagine the game's balance will improve with time; frankly I'm surprised it's as balanced as it is and not completely broken to poo poo.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah. I suppose the lack of balance only surprises me because the rest of it is so shockingly stable. Besides people having trouble with their multiplayer server crashing (which I haven't experienced, yet) the game itself is rock solid. I figured by now I'd fall through the ground or get trapped in something, but it hasn't happened. In any case, I'm really looking forward to see where the game goes, because it has had a really solid start.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I hope he decides to take a second look at balance for single-player instead of deciding that it's all part of his VISION like Notch and just leaving it broken. Because at this point, what's even the point of single-player worlds, if all the high level and even some of the low and mid level content is locked out by tedium.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually apart from the dungeons the game runs totally fine in SP and considering the dungeons are probably the least developed part of the game at the moment it's not really surprising that they don't work too well (they need a lot of tweaking). The random roaming bosses are perfectly doable solo when you're at a similar power level to them (their names are white or blue) and you can even kill some of the orange ones solo if you get lucky. It's mostly just the dungeons that are murder without friends.

The only thing you can't reliably get in singleplayer is platinum which can only be gotten by completing missions and at the moment the only mission is 'kill the boss of this dungeon'. Once the quest system is properly implimented and dungeons are tweaked it should be fine in SP.

That's not to say it's perfect as-is; there are a lot of rough edges especially with the power levels of monsters and where they spawn (spawning power ~100 ogres right outside town is probably not intentional) and some types of monsters are substantially more powerful than other types (skeletons are apparently made of some kind of titanium alloy judging by how much punishment they can take before they go down), but given how unfinished it is I'm frankly amazed it's as solid as it is.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 5, 2013

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Mimic posted:

Yeah, agreed. The dungeons are a mess, made messier by the fact that the difficulty seems completely random - as in, not dependent on your own level or your distance from the starting area. However, I suspect they're not balanced for a single person. My guess is that everything is balanced for four people.
Yeah, it quite clearly doesn't scale things for the number of players around, and more importantly the default scaling definitely seems to be towards groups. There's some other balance issues too (such as spellcaster enemies having undodgeable, super-high damage attacks, or bosses having two or three times the HP they really need), but this is the problem that makes soloing painful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah, Wizards with their loving undodgable life-drain lazers.

If you see a group of hostile Witches or Wizards just leave them the gently caress alone; they'll lazer your face off and there's nothing you can do about it. Even a single Witch or Wizard can melt you pretty fast if they decide to pull their laser out.

Apart from the lasers though I find spellcasters to be the easiest type of humanoids to deal with; even the ones using staves that create elemental tornadoes can be dodged quite easily once you work out the timing properly and can recognise the difference between the small tornado and the big one (as they have different dodge timings).

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I ran into a wizard using that death-laser attack. Holy gently caress, someone must have really fudged some damage numbers on that thing. :catstare:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re; Witches and Wizards and their murderbeam, if it's two or one of them just expend your stamina bar rolling and only the last tick will hit you. If it's three of them this'll probably kill you at most levels, but you can survive one tick of two beams (especially as a water mage). It has a pretty long cooldown so if you're anywhere near well geared you can just mop them up after that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

miscellaneous14 posted:

I ran into a wizard using that death-laser attack. Holy gently caress, someone must have really fudged some damage numbers on that thing. :catstare:

Yeah I feel like there's a decimal point on the damage of the life drain beam that is one space too far to the right.

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
So uh, not my finest hour, but I'm guessing if the tech demo crashes when I press a button (it opens up fine and I see the terrain at the bottom) that means my computer isn't suited for it?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

silentpenguins posted:

So uh, not my finest hour, but I'm guessing if the tech demo crashes when I press a button (it opens up fine and I see the terrain at the bottom) that means my computer isn't suited for it?

That is just what the tech demo is meant to do. You're running it fine.

Server is still up but I can't say it'll stay up next time it crashes.

e: okay NEXT time it goes down I won't be around.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 5, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Mimic posted:

I played a warrior for six or seven levels and I didn't get this. The roll is useless on most enemies (that attack way too quickly to make dodging worthwhile- the one with rogue attacks) but it's still moderately useful on slower enemies. As a warrior, it feels like there isn't enough you can do to really edge combat in your favor. You can block, but only for about half a second, with a shield (or somewhat as a guardian with any weapon)

Wizard has been exactly as you said so far, though. As a warrior I absolutely had to heal after every fight, but I went the first four levels as wizard without healing at all, just dodging/shooting and not getting hit. It's been a lot more fun. So I hope I'm either missing something as warrior, or they go and improve it a bit.

Warriors are bad. They're hands down the worst class by a wide margin. Ninjas are the best tanks, while also doing a lot of damage and Water Wizards are the second best tanks while also healing for a lot and doing damage. Fire Wizards are the 3rd best tanks (Mana Shield is really good).

To make Warriors viable they'd need their block durations extended by a factor of 3 at the very least, as well as being given a better passive on both subclasses. A taunt skill would be nice too, but isn't as important because they need to be viable solo as well.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
About the blocking being increased by a factor of three: Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure if I was just missing the point- sometimes blocking gave me MP, and at least once it took MP away and/or put it into the negatives (at least, the bar went left of its designated area.)

Playing a wizard now and it's a totally different experience, even solo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Neat little arabian-esque town textures in rain forest biomes.

E; Fun fact: A perfectly timed roll will negate all fall damage and the stun. (Probably to a point but I haven't found it yet.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 5, 2013

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
^^^ Are you finding biomes like this on particular seeds, or do you just have to travel many regions away from your spawn? The basic forest is nice, but I've been trying to find more exotic places, and it's taking a while.

Orv posted:

You know, I raided in MMOs in an era where you were having a good night if it took you 45 minutes to clear the loving trash, ignoring the tries and failures on the bosses entirely. I even recall making some off-hand statement one night about the trash in Molten Core being the definition of tedium. Cube World has taught me that I should have kept my loving mouth shut and enjoyed my goddamn lava giants. 35 minutes to kill one mob for 33xp.

What class are you playing and at what levels? What everyone else says about ninjas and water mages is absolutely true; I'm rolling a level 12 ninja and soloing bosses for 180-ish xp in under 5 minutes. Been successfully running dungeons solo for the last several levels.

The first few levels are terribly broken, but once you hit a critical mass of gear and levels, the game really opens up. Also, thanks to maketakunai for that seed with the super lantern, it helps a lot!

Cathair fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 5, 2013

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Cathair posted:

What class are you playing and at what levels? What everyone else says about ninjas and water mages is absolutely true; I'm rolling a level 12 ninja and soloing bosses for 180-ish xp in under 5 minutes. Been successfully running dungeons solo for the last several levels.

The first few levels are terribly broken, but once you hit a critical mass of gear and levels, the game really opens up. Also, thanks to maketakunai for that seed with the super lantern, it helps a lot!

Is there a specific trick to bosses as a ninja? I just got decimated by a Human +1 Ranger boss with a boomerang.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cathair posted:

^^^ Are you finding biomes like this on particular seeds, or do you just have to travel many regions away from your spawn? The basic forest is nice, but I've been trying to find more exotic places, and it's taking a while.

Water mage, which while incredible still takes some time. Was using bracelets, am now using staff and doing better, but bosses still take a few minutes (~8-10)

The rain forest biome is the first biome immediately out of the starter one on Heran's server. I don't know if he can find out the seed for that map. I found an ice biome immediately out of the starter on my SP map.

E: Heran's seed is 90210. :v: Go NW from the starter.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 5, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cerevisiae posted:

Is there a specific trick to bosses as a ninja? I just got decimated by a Human +1 Ranger boss with a boomerang.

The Ninja passive is that they dodge all attacks while using their special attacks and gain MP and their next special attack is guaranteed to crit whenever they dodge an attack (either through their passive or a dodge roll) so playing a Ninja is all about learning the enemy attack queues and timing your special attacks so that you dodge all their poo poo.

A good Ninja can solo certain types of bosses and take literally zero damage because it's all dodged and turned into even more damage.

With that said; Boomerangs are one of the weapons that Ninjas cannot negate entirely; any boomerang equipped enemy will be a pain in the rear end for Ninjas because they rely on their timed dodges and boomerangs just sit on you and whack you tons of times for a little bit of damage each time and thus cannot be completely dodged like say a Greatclub can.

Ninjas are basically unhittable blenders, but they walk a really fine line of survivability. Mess up your timings and you can get flattened right quick.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Which is really why I think Ninjas are in a good place when it comes to tanking. It'd be pretty great if Ninjas stayed the way they are now, with good tanking which is entirely player skill dependant, and the Warrior got buffed to where he's maybe slightly less good at tanking, but it's a tanking that is much easier to use. Of course both Warrior types need a giant damage buff too.

And hopefully a remake of one of each of the subclasses. Every single class has a subclass with the same "each attack makes the next faster" passive, which seems really drat lazy design.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah I think Ninjas are great as-is. Their dodge mechanic makes fighting as one incredibly dynamic and fun. Warriors definitely need a big boost though; they're way too weak right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

And hopefully a remake of one of each of the subclasses. Every single class has a subclass with the same "each attack makes the next faster" passive, which seems really drat lazy design.

Fire mage gets instant and free spell casts on %-chance per attack/cast. But yeah, pretty generic in between.

Now I'm regretting my getting my mage to 12, as much as I enjoyed it. Just started trying a ninja with longsword and I already love it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cerevisiae posted:

I've never fought a boomerang boss! Haven't fought that many boomerang mobs either, and those that I did were all in hectic mass fights, so I don't have a great grasp on how they work. Most of the time ninjas kill bosses the same way they kill everything else: by staying up in their face and remaining invincible as Neruz describes. If I had to guess at how to deal with boomerangs, though, I'd say you may want to try roll-dodging them, because the boomerangs I've had thrown at me tended to stick around a little too long for the special attack dodge to handle. As a ninja, even regular dodges cause mana generation and the guaranteed-critical condition, so I'd try to save up for 100-mana special attacks to keep the boss stunned as much as possible.

As I said though, this is just conjecture, so I'm sorry if it gets you killed. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G.I.Jebus
Jun 19, 2004
G.I.Jebus
Yeesh this game's tuning needs a lot of work.

I cheatedengine'd myself half a million XP and I still only ended up at "power" 97. At level 2000 something finally get 100 power. Skill points don't mean much beyond 5 or so and equipment means everything. Naked level 2000 mage is helpless and even with the highest powered wand you're only cranking 60 damage.

Be nice to try this game again when it's fine tuned and fleshed out.

G.I.Jebus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 5, 2013

• Locked thread