Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

At least Freya and Tifa aren't Seven from Xenoblade. She can't make use of her high level buffs unless her boyfriend is in the party. It would have been kind of cute if he needed her for his abilities, but he doesn't.

To be fair, that is her 5th and final skill tree. It is also optional and you pretty much need to be level 95+ to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Suaimhneas posted:

Yesssss they're bringing the best character back,

But Sazh wasn't in that trailer :(

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vanderdeath posted:

But Sazh wasn't in that trailer :(

Why won't Square give the people what they want?! I've said it before, but I'd absolutely play a XIII spin off that was purely Sazh riding about rebuilding civilization on Pulse via haulage jobs and generally being awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Why won't Square give the people what they want?! I've said it before, but I'd absolutely play a XIII spin off that was purely Sazh riding about rebuilding civilization on Pulse via haulage jobs and generally being awesome.

Instead we had to get the characters everyone hates. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think the SA Games forum is really representative of the gaming community as a whole, for better or for worse. The impression that I get is that everybody loves Lightning.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don't know why. Lightning is one of the most boring FF protagonists in the series. It's like if we got a ton of FF8 spinoffs staring Squall. I can't think of a single interesting thing about Lightning aside from her navel ring. It doesn't seem like something she would be into.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mazed posted:

Well, except Tifa is actually a reasonably well-written character. A well-written headcase, sure, but that's kind of a given if you're a PC in FF7. Her reaction in that scene is actually something a human being might do.

There's nothing overly exaggerated about her personality otherwise, and so much else about FF7 that gets hyped up like crazy, that it might be easy to forget that that even happens.

I don't think Freya's reaction is inhumane either. Plenty of people'd throw themselves into something else like fighting to take their mind off something, or focus on the matter at hand rather than their own personal problems.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CottonWolf posted:

I'd absolutely play a XIII spin off that was purely Sazh riding about rebuilding civilization on Pulse via haulage jobs and generally being awesome.

As much as I would prefer a spinoff about Sazh being awesome, I just don't trust Square enough to manage that without turning into into Dirge of Cerberus again. At least with Lightning as the main character there's still the hope that they know what they're doing, and so far they seem to be doing a good job with it.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 5, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah there is a lot of hate for Lightning in certain circles but there is no denying that she's one of the most popular FF protagonist in a loooooong time.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Lighting is awesome for recruiting Mog by defeating him in Rocks, Paper, Scissors. (She threw Scissors three times in a row.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Overbite posted:

I don't know why. Lightning is one of the most boring FF protagonists in the series. It's like if we got a ton of FF8 spinoffs staring Squall. I can't think of a single interesting thing about Lightning aside from her navel ring. It doesn't seem like something she would be into.

Didn't the project director straight-up say he wanted to make a Female Cloud? I think that sums up Lightning's appeal for the FF faithful, they love those dark brooding archetypes with an untold destiny. It also can't be overlooked that she is the first uncontested female main character in the series, although I guess you could make an argument for Terra in VI.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It doesn't help that she's barely in 13-2. You get some scenes at the beginning and end and some fragments that talk about her.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Overbite posted:

Square Soft putting style and art direction above substance and story? Why I never! :monocle:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had no idea about the navel piercing. Guess you learn something new every day. There's very little chance that the story won't be crap, but the gameplay seems like it's going to be pretty fun for once.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 5, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't the project director straight-up say he wanted to make a Female Cloud? I think that sums up Lightning's appeal for the FF faithful, they love those dark brooding archetypes with an untold destiny. It also can't be overlooked that she is the first uncontested female main character in the series, although I guess you could make an argument for Terra in VI.

The fact that she's a female character who is unambiguously the protagonist of her story and isn't romantically involved with any of the male characters is pretty loving singular in an RPG, aside from western games where you make your own character and romantic choices. I also appreciated her presence in the first half of FF13, before Fang was introduced and characters started having their arcs resolved, because the other characters were a vengeful adolescent boy, a mysterious manic pixie, an idealist who immediately becomes a shattered wreck the moment anything goes wrong, and a black guy who seems like he's just there to be a put-upon straight man and react comically to all this danger and craziness and generally fulfil a stereotype.

She's the only focused, competent, serious person in the bunch; they loving need somebody to slap them and tell them what to do, which is a big contrast from Cloud who feigns the appearance of being cool and in control but is actually less together than anybody else he meets to the point that he's like having a nervous breakdown and going into a coma.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

From this: http://www.the-magicbox.com/1307/game130703e.shtml

quote:

Square Enix announced at the Japan Expo 2013, that Final Fantasy XIII will cross-over with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, the MMORPG will have Lightning and Snow costumes for all races, and there will be special quests in which you fight alongside with Lightning. When you cleared the quest you can obtain the Lightning costume and weapon from Lightning Returns FFXIII.

Little Lighting just looks really weird:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty interesting how Lightning will actually be in FFXIV. Did XI have any cameos as well?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gently caress me, can we shoot the FFXIII writers already? I'm so sick of how this story has hijacked the entire franchise.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Renoistic posted:

Did XI have any cameos as well?

Not at all, surprisingly enough; considering alternate universes open up every third week in 11, you'd think it would be prime bullshit crossover bait, but it's remarkably self-contained. The closest thing you get is Gilgamesh, and rather than the character you'd expect he's just some dude:

Admittedly a hilariously awesome dude, but yeah.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 5, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PhilippAchtel posted:

gently caress me, can we shoot the FFXIII writers already? I'm so sick of how this story has hijacked the entire franchise.

Pretty sure it's not FFXIII's writers causing the ONE crossover the series has had with another FF series. That probably has more to do with SE wanting to promote Lightning Returns like good companies do for their upcoming games.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

theonlypie314SA posted:

From this: http://www.the-magicbox.com/1307/game130703e.shtml

Little Lighting just looks really weird:

You mean awesome. Lallafels have the perfect facial expressions for Lightning.

Also this is just cross promotional thing, which is why Lightning gets a Catgirl set in LR. It has nothing to do with them trying to get FFXIII story into FFXIV. Also FFXIV is doing its own thing and its going 100% into fanservice with lots of allusions, classic jobs, airships and crystals.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think the SA Games forum is really representative of the gaming community as a whole, for better or for worse. The impression that I get is that everybody loves Lightning.

I haven't got that impression at all, here or anywhere else. Apart from maybe youtube comments sections.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So there's this new 12 minute gameplay video on youtube of XIII-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjOglJu-Y4

I noticed that there was a real-time clock in the right corner. Does the game actually use it the way I think it does? What if you're on the middle of a side quest, does the world just end? Does this mean I can't race chocobos while meteor is falling???

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

From the OP regarding FF6:

It should be noted that the PSN version of 6 has load time problems.

I have a Vita now so I wanted to pick it up, is it really that bad for loading?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Its not just the PSN version that has problems, the disc version of the game has the same problem.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pretty sure it's not FFXIII's writers causing the ONE crossover the series has had with another FF series. That probably has more to do with SE wanting to promote Lightning Returns like good companies do for their upcoming games.

Considering FF15 is still 13-Versus, which constitutes way more than just a cameo in 14, that's a pretty lovely deal for anyone who doesn't like the FNC universe.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So it looks like in LR that you can customize the colors of each outfit as well as their equipment and ability loadout, but that each outfit has base stats and boosts that you can't change.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

So it looks like in LR that you can customize the colors of each outfit as well as their equipment and ability loadout, but that each outfit has base stats and boosts that you can't change.

The Cloud outfit better let me impersonate any other outfit at the penalty of occassionaly losing control during boss fights.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Barudak posted:

The Cloud outfit better let me impersonate any other outfit at the penalty of occassionaly losing control during boss fights.

Hopefully the outfit's stats make up for the 2-3 days of time you'll lose in-game from the Coma ability.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Hopefully the outfit's stats make up for the 2-3 days of time you'll lose in-game from the Coma ability.

Wait a minute, the pre-order bonus is for the Zack outfit, not the cloud outfit. Instead you're just going to be able to have everyone respect you.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

I hope the Cloud outfit makes Snow wear a Sephiroth outfit and they have an epic sword battle that makes no sense, up in the sky, just because.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pretty sure it's not FFXIII's writers causing the ONE crossover the series has had with another FF series.

Well, the one crossover excluding Dissidia, Theatrhythm, All the Bravest...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, Tidus has been replaced with Lightning in the FFX HD re-release.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Schwartzcough posted:

The laughing scene would be interesting.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Lightning would just spend the game punching Wakka.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

Ooooh. I wonder what Yevon Scripture would say about that.

EDIT: I get the feeling Lightning would make a move a lot faster than Tidus would.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 5, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Lightning would just spend the game punching Wakka.

To be fair who WOULDN'T punch someone with that hairstyle?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

xanthan posted:

To be fair who WOULDN'T punch someone with that hairstyle?

Me, Wakka's a bro :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This was a bit of a mistranslation which has since been corrected.

When they discussed this, they were not talking about Cloud's personality or basic concept. They were instead talking about being a soldier character (and a "serious" one) like Cloud and Squall (who is also mentioned). Lightning's original personality way way back in the design phase was basically closer to Fang and was described as "sexy" and "flirty" but a fair number of those elements got transferred over to Fang or just removed instead and when they changed that around, they told Nomura to design a soldiery character.

A big part of Lightning's popularity in Japan is probably Maaya Sakamoto. She's a very popular voice actress which is why Square-Enix keeps reusing her. (She was also Aerith and Aya Brea. Her husband actually played Zack in FFVII: Crisis Core which is probably why the characters actually have chemistry together.) It also can't be overlooked that FF has a larger-than-average female fanbase and having a female protagonist who isn't there to be "moe" is actually pretty appealing to them. You can say that she's boring, it's up to argument, but there are plenty of boring male protagonists who are popular as well.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mega64 posted:

Well, the one crossover excluding Dissidia, Theatrhythm, All the Bravest...

There's a difference between FF13 had a crossover with another FF and every FF had a big crossover and 13 was one of those games included.