Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I'm waiting for something good to come out on this Fourth of July sale. So far it's the Warner Bros. and Telltale and I've got everything I want already from these guys, except I might get Poker Night 2. Puzzle Agent looks like it has great animation but I hate random puzzle games.

I hope someone else does a sale, anyway. I'm pumped. USA. USA. I love your holidays.

Sales!

Telltale's adventure catalogue is 99c not including The Walking Dead, but all the episodes of Law and Order are, etcetera.

Warner Bros catalogue is 99c including Bastion, and the Lego DC Batman and Harry Potter games.

Ticket to Ride is now 2.99
Colin McRae Rally is 1.99

Chaotic Box's games are on sale too. I've never heard of them, though. Silverfish MAX and Nozoku are both 99c.

Kill The Clowns is now free, for the fourth of July in what is like, I don't know. I always I feel this weight on my shoulders when I see small desperate developers. Like Miseria dropped to free just after release to get some reviews. What a horrible way to live. The number one thing I hate about IOS and indie gaming is how close you are to the creators themselves. I don't want to know anything about you, your family, your face.
Every time I saw no to a game in this environment, I feel like I just said "sorry bud, no change".

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Quick question: what "fish eating" games would you guys recommend?

I already have Hungry Shark and evolution and like them both a lot. I especially like the games where you eat slightly smaller fish than you and get bigger and bigger. I think I remember a Giant Worm game like that too, where you zipped around and destroyed stuff like Godzilla.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

-Blackadder- posted:

I already have Hungry Shark and evolution and like them both a lot. I especially like the games where you eat slightly smaller fish than you and get bigger and bigger. I think I remember a Giant Worm game like that too, where you zipped around and destroyed stuff like Godzilla.

I love Death Worm, I still have a copy of it when it was just a free game made for a jam(or some such) sitting somewhere on my computer.
but yeah it's called Death Worm.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I bought KOTOR but it won't install due to lack of space. I have 3GB free and the game requires less then 2. Do I just need to reboot my ipad, or make more from for some temp files?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It needs a ton of extra space to actually install.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you install via itunes it doesn't need extra space.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

-Blackadder- posted:

Only slightly related, but do you have Osmos? Because you need Osmos. No sharks, but the "eat stuff smaller than you to get bigger" gameplay is the entire point of the game. I think it went universal, but this is still one of the best iPad games ever made.

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!

Corridor posted:

Layton Bros endgame spoilers:

So what I don't get is why anyone gives a single flying gently caress if Alfendi Layton shot and killed the Makepeaces. I mean, they were both known serial killers who were also both TRYING TO MURDER HIM AT THE TIME. He's a freaking police inspector and has been issued with a gun, what other situations could be possibly be meant to use it if not stuff like that? :psyduck:

It's especially jarring considering the first one happened four years before the game and since Al both admitted the murder and is not in jail and also STILL A POLICE INSPECTOR it's quite clear that the justice system agreed with the fact it was quite OK to shoot Makepeace, and probably would have ended up with the same verdict with Diane if the actual perpetrator didn't try loving around with Al, leading to Lucy feeling the need to 'get him off the hook' and solving the case. Also while I know the connections have been forced into the game after it was more or less complete, the epilogue was a huge LAYTON-SQUEEE when they made hints Hershel is still alive in that time-period and might show up in a sequel

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Duro posted:

Is anyone else having trouble running this game? I click on the icon and I just get a black screen. I'm on an iPad 3 for the record.

I'm so sick of this poo poo. I bought Poker Night 1 for my mac and it constantly froze. I chalked it up to my Macbook Air not being fast enough to run it (even though it didn't seem that graphically intensive)
Now I give them a second chance on the iPad, figuring that by falling between the requirements it would work, and it doesn't even start.....

I have been playing it on my iPhone 5 since it has become my go to ios game device, but just to check it out for you I downloaded it on my ipad 3. Game boots up and ran just fine for the couple of hands I tried

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ota_Himuro posted:

It's especially jarring considering the first one happened four years before the game and since Al both admitted the murder and is not in jail and also STILL A POLICE INSPECTOR it's quite clear that the justice system agreed with the fact it was quite OK to shoot Makepeace, and probably would have ended up with the same verdict with Diane if the actual perpetrator didn't try loving around with Al, leading to Lucy feeling the need to 'get him off the hook' and solving the case. Also while I know the connections have been forced into the game after it was more or less complete, the epilogue was a huge LAYTON-SQUEEE when they made hints Hershel is still alive in that time-period and might show up in a sequel

Seriously, Justin could have just shot Makepeace and Diane on his own and no one would have cared. They'd probably have given him a medal.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Lego Batman is really good and is well worth the buck.

My only complaint is how hard they push DLC (you will run into a lot of things in the game that need DLC characters to access, but its not required), and a lot of reviewers are complaining about DLC purchases being lost.

But i'm not messing with DLC, so it's all good for me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
:siren: EVERYONE :siren:

King of Dragon Pass is on sale for one dollar and fifty cents on GOG. That belongs in this thread, right?

edit: This is the PC version, fyi.

also zafehouse diaries for $1.50 which is totally not an ios game but it's really good

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 5, 2013

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Papa Sangre is on sale for 99c. It's a strange Binaural audio game.
http://appshopper.com/games/papa-sangre
First time in 2 years it's gone below 5 bucks.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Optikalusion posted:

Papa Sangre is on sale for 99c. It's a strange Binaural audio game.
http://appshopper.com/games/papa-sangre
First time in 2 years it's gone below 5 bucks.

This game is really good.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Bummey posted:

King of Dragon Pass is on sale for one dollar and fifty cents on GOG. That belongs in this thread, right?

also zafehouse diaries for $1.50 which is totally not an ios game but it's really good

Please buy and support King of Dragon Pass.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I bought and supported King of Dragon Pass. I will become the King of Dragon Pass if that's even a thing you do in that game.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
It's the end-game goal (you should always play on long mode by the way), I'll be impressed if you do it on your first try though.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bummey posted:

That KODP link is for the windows version. It's still £6.99 in the app store!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:doh: XCOM's got one major flaw I just found out. In cutting down the graphics, they seem to have cut out the fire effect on cars. Cars that are about to explode. You've got no indication that a car is about to blow up and kill everyone taking cover behind it at all.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

monkeytennis posted:

That KODP link is for the windows version. It's still £6.99 in the app store!

I know. It's GOG, after all. It's still King of Dragon Pass and can help people jump into the game for a disgustingly low price. If they like it, they can buy the iOS verison.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

:doh: XCOM's got one major flaw I just found out. In cutting down the graphics, they seem to have cut out the fire effect on cars. Cars that are about to explode. You've got no indication that a car is about to blow up and kill everyone taking cover behind it at all.

The hood of the cars light on fire on my iPad mini and you can see it. Also someone yells out "it's gonna blow!" or something. I can't think of seeing a truck or a van burning, though.

What I do have trouble with is that the game has too much superfluous stuff. I don't want to watch the crappy unskippable cutscenes after my first playthrough. I guess what I'd like is more like a prettier original X-Com. And I'm waiting for the patch that means I can play more than one mission before the game crashes.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Helmacron posted:

The hood of the cars light on fire on my iPad mini and you can see it. Also someone yells out "it's gonna blow!" or something.

Ditto for my iPad 3. There's also a text box that says something to the effect of "car will explode in 1 turn".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was on my iphone 4s when this problem came up. will have to try it out on the pad.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I've been playing it on an ipad 4 and can see the fires just fine and not had any crashing.
From what I've heard it's varying levels of defective on everything else though.

Except that thing about the rockets. I absolutely do not use them after the first few missions where I drat near exploded the hostage I was trying to save.

Edit: in other news I grabbed the 1112 games dirt cheap yesterday. I have no idea if they're worthwhile yet but it's the first time I've seen them priced so very low.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Helmacron posted:

What I do have trouble with is that the game has too much superfluous stuff. I don't want to watch the crappy unskippable cutscenes after my first playthrough. I guess what I'd like is more like a prettier original X-Com. And I'm waiting for the patch that means I can play more than one mission before the game crashes.

What cutscenes are unskippable? I seem to remember that option for all cinematics in the PC version.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

What cutscenes are unskippable? I seem to remember that option for all cinematics in the PC version.

Central, Vahlen and Shen's intro's, the vid for after researching Xeno Biology and the first Terror Attack, that's off the top of my head and I've not finished the game.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I'm a little late on the ridiculous fishing train, but I have a question if anyone can help. It seems that you can only equip one "lure" in the game. So what's the point of equipping fuel if you don't have any of the fancy chainsaw/swiss/whatever lure?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
SurvivalCraft, the "mobile Minecraft by someone that gives a poo poo" is getting an update to 1.22 in a week or two. It's going to add wheat farming, more animals (lions, ostriches, rhinos etc), better terrain generation with rockier mountains, and boats. The boats part is interesting because the dev had to deal with the fact that it had to float, where previously nothing had. Rather than just making boats work and leave it at that, he went back and gave density and buoyancy stats to every item so light things float and heavy things sink. He's also added subtle random currents to water bodies to push floating things around. Check it out:

Buoyancy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrL5I-WFz4w

It's that attention to detail that makes me happy to have given him my money. It'll never rival big Minecraft, but it's so far ahead of the official mobile version it just isn't funny any more.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

^^^^^^
No point in the fuel unless you have a lure capable of the things you mentioned. Don't buy it until you have those.

Every cut scene is unskippable. The first one goes for ages, but obviously they're just loading poo poo and is forgivable, but after that, there's a cut scene for the key thing, cut scenes to show people clapping, when you finish researching certain things, and that green shirt shaking people's hands, the fricking engineer talking, the fricking chick talking. I hate unskippable cut scenes.

I played to level two in Ghost Trick and somehow, it didn't save it so I have to replay it to see the rest of the game, and I can't bring myself to do it. I finished the first story of The Walking Dead on my iPhone, then downloaded it on my iPad, along with all the other levels and again, I cannot imagine a day I want to sit around through the first story again.

To be fair, I may be a little impatient, a wee bit intolerant, but to be fair, they're pretty lovely plots.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

edit: This is the PC version, fyi.

gently caress, that must have been one short lived sale. :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It ended about and hour and 20 minutes ago. Best sale I've ever seen on GOG.com, lots of great stuff. They might do something similar around Christmas though. It was a weeklong 50% off almost-everything sale with rotating bundle/game deals each day, so I'm guessing they'll compete against the Steam seasonal sales again.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Helmacron posted:

I played to level two in Ghost Trick and somehow, it didn't save it so I have to replay it to see the rest of the game, and I can't bring myself to do it.

Important to note for any Ghost Trick players, it DOES save your progress, but to access that save you have to go about it in a very non-intuitive way. It says something like if you want to load your last auto save when you boot it up. I forget exactly, but the logical thing to do is say "yes" when it comes up. Trouble is, that thing it offers is not your most recent save. I got caught with that, had to replay a couple of chapters twice over due to crashes etc. and it really took the edge off a brilliant game.

What you actually need to do, is say no when you boot up, then it's something like choose a continue option from the menu when you go in. Sorry for being vague as it was so backwards it's hard to recall from memory, but saying no at the start will let you go through and load up where you actually did reach in the game. Once I discovered that (halfway through and having wasted 2 hours of my life replaying sections) I was gold all the way through to the end.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

SurvivalCraft, the "mobile Minecraft by someone that gives a poo poo" is getting an update to 1.22 in a week or two. It's going to add wheat farming, more animals (lions, ostriches, rhinos etc), better terrain generation with rockier mountains, and boats. The boats part is interesting because the dev had to deal with the fact that it had to float, where previously nothing had. Rather than just making boats work and leave it at that, he went back and gave density and buoyancy stats to every item so light things float and heavy things sink. He's also added subtle random currents to water bodies to push floating things around. Check it out:

Buoyancy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrL5I-WFz4w

It's that attention to detail that makes me happy to have given him my money. It'll never rival big Minecraft, but it's so far ahead of the official mobile version it just isn't funny any more.

The problem I have is that controlling Minecraft on a touch device is pure poo poo.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Helmacron posted:

^^^^^^
No point in the fuel unless you have a lure capable of the things you mentioned. Don't buy it until you have those.

Err, I'm sorry I'm being dumb. I have a bunch of lures and I bought fuel but I can't seem to equip them at the same time? If I have the lure equipped, then hit equip on the fuel tank, it unequips the lure and all I have is extra fuel and nothing to use it with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The problem I have is that controlling Minecraft on a touch device is pure poo poo.

Hopefully the situation gets better this fall when Apple finally standardizes controller inputs with iOS 7.

Well, maybe next spring when actually decent controllers make it to market. But improvement is coming!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
But then you have to carry a controller around with you which is equally balls.

e: along with a way of standing the iDevice up at a comfortable viewing angle

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Yodzilla posted:

But then you have to carry a controller around with you which is equally balls.

e: along with a way of standing the iDevice up at a comfortable viewing angle

I'm carrying around a Vita and a 3DS. People who want to play games that require real sticks and buttons won't mind slipping a controller into their bag/pocket too.

Man, official controller support is going to be huge for iOS. Apple have built a stealth console. Connects to TVs, everyone has one, and they've just handed devs the keys to make games that can compete (on a control level) with dedicated game devices. A year or two from now and things are going to be very interesting as iDevices get more and more power to go with those games. Interesting times.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone know if the PC version of KoDP has been getting all the content updates that the iPad version has? I'm kind of assuming that it hasn't based on their blog, which is why I've been ignoring it on GOG.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm carrying around a Vita and a 3DS. People who want to play games that require real sticks and buttons won't mind slipping a controller into their bag/pocket too.

Pretty much this.. while it would certainly be nice to carry around nothing but my phone and get a top notch gaming experience, it's pretty obvious the state of the art just isn't there yet. We've been playing games with d-pads and thumbsticks too long to throw them away.

Every portable gaming device I've ever owned has been a pain in the rear end to lug around, but if I want to be playing games on the road, I find a way to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kenny Logins posted:

It ended about and hour and 20 minutes ago. Best sale I've ever seen on GOG.com, lots of great stuff. They might do something similar around Christmas though. It was a weeklong 50% off almost-everything sale with rotating bundle/game deals each day, so I'm guessing they'll compete against the Steam seasonal sales again.

I think I picked up a dozen games/packs for about $25-30 total during that sale, including stuff like SimCity2000, Syndicate(wars), QFG 1-5, and a few others I'd wanted to replay at some point. :yayclod:

• Locked thread