Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Pictomania is pretty good!

Send me your Pictomania. Seriously, I love Vlaada, I want his games :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Liar's Dice.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I know that Resistance type games wouldn't work (I own them and they are great, but these people won't bother thinking through the roles and so it's a no go) I just want something enjoyable that will avoid Kiranamos' experince with THE LOGO BOARD GAME.

List so far:

Probably
Dixit
Say Anything
Apples to Apples
Tsuro
Love Letter
Skull & Roses

Possibly
Wits and Wagers
Blokus
Time's Up!
Pictomania
King of Tokyo

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 5, 2013

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The General posted:

Send me your Pictomania. Seriously, I love Vlaada, I want his games :(

Tekopo posted:

Pictomania is pretty good!

I would pay a great amount of US freedom dollars for an English language version of this game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I would pay a great amount of US freedom dollars for an English language version of this game.

I feel that way about Bunny, Bunny, Moose, Moose (though I realize this is just an out of print and not English edition issue).

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Indolent Bastard posted:

Party games, what ones don't suck? I will be hosting a birthday party with a group of middle ages folks most of whom don't play any games at all because they are boring (I'm mostly kidding, but one guy is really arrogant about thinking games are stupid childish amusements and normally can't be compelled to play anything). I don't think anything the thread typically recommedns will fly as the rule sets will need to be so simple that a single run through would be enough to grasp the whole game. Any suggestions?

So far I think Dixit would work and I know Fiasco (or any role playing at all) won't work. I just want to avoid shrades, pictonary and other "staple" party games.

Time's Up is the best party game. Yeah it's got charades-type parts, but the point is developing the shared language & experience. As one friend put it "in-joke: the game".

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Dixit would be my normal recommendation for a big mixed group... but after a long string of success I have now seen it fail once. Had a group of idiots that kept giving clues that were either "hilarious" (like "I'm tripping balls!", because the picture is "crazy!") or moronic ("everything's melting" for the picture where everything is melting).

It's not a complex game, but it does lean on the players to come up with creative/interesting/vague clues. If you think the group you're playing with might be complete idiots (but don't actually want to confirm that in your mind), then Dixit could be a poor choice.

(But generally it's still a win, and has been a big hit N-1 times... and actually people liked it OK this time too, I just wanted to strangle them).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
A decent one that I never hear suggested is VisualEyes. It's best described as Boggle with images and compound phrases instead of letters. It's the same sort of "interpret these images" as Dixit but the images are smaller and more numerous.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

I feel that way about Bunny, Bunny, Moose, Moose (though I realize this is just an out of print and not English edition issue).

Starlit Citadel has it in stock, but I have no idea what it would cost shipped south of the border. I was able to get a copy a few months ago from the marketplace on BGG, but I'm pretty sure I paid more than its worth.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

Starlit Citadel has it in stock, but I have no idea what it would cost shipped south of the border. I was able to get a copy a few months ago from the marketplace on BGG, but I'm pretty sure I paid more than its worth.

Amazingly it is $4 cheaper to get it shipped to Illinois rather than my parents in Ontario. But I have issues paying $46 for a game that is listed at $27. Thanks for the heads up though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TobiasMoon posted:

I've found a lot of trivia games work well. Battle of the Sexes is a good little game that gets everyone in the mood to play something. Balderdash is good too to get everyone in a festive, game-type mood. Apples to Apples and Say Anything are fun too.

The worst experience I've had playing a party game was with Balderdash. We had too many people I guess, but it just dragged going around voting.
On the other hand Articulate, or any other game that's in the same vein, had worked well in the past.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Cards Against Humanity has always been popular with people

I really wish they would make this available in Australia. I don't understand the difficulty in posting a bunch of cards to a country.

I get that you can print them out yourself, but producing good quality cards just seems to difficult and the expansion isn't available either. I just want good quality cards in some nice packaging and would be prepared to pay another $10 to get it posted.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Snake Oil is hands down my favorite party game. Its like CAH or A2A except that the jokes don't get stale since the emphasis is more on how you pitch the combination of cards then just happening to have a silly combination in your hand.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Indolent Bastard posted:

Party games, what ones don't suck?

Wits & Wagers, it's a competitive trivia game for groups where you don't actually need to know any answers.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

jmzero posted:

I recommend getting in on Paperback, which is a deckbuilding word game. Design looks really solid, but there's a good chance it'll be hard to get outside this KS.

Boss Fight is a goon-made project with a similar theme to Boss Monster (neither of these are really my kind of game, but I figured you might be interested).

Thanks, much appreciated. Anyone else have any suggestion on worthwhile boardgaming kickstarters?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So, Guns of Gettysburg. Got in about half a play yesterday (July 4th, why not play some Gettysburg, y'know?) and it was...interesting. Definitely not anywhere near as much my cup of tea as Napoleon's Triumph, though of course that may change with more plays/more comfort.

Essentially, it is a completely different game, even though the components and map look vaguely similar. You have hidden strength blocks, they move a certain amount, and you attack/retreat with them. That's about it, for similarities.

Differences, though, hoo boy.

First off, reinforcements can come on the board and instantly be at the front, and I do mean instantly. One piece can enter by road per hour (whole lotta hours in the battle) and move any distance as long as an enemy unit doesn't threaten any space along that route. Thus, divisions just magically appear.

Second, variable length turns. Each turn is some number of hours, and if that number is greater than 1, pieces can move extra spaces as long as they are moving to a "safe" (i.e. next to or into the same position as a friendly piece) position. This means, for example, my C.S.A. opponent, in a 5 hour turn, moved a couple divisions about 10 spaces to flank my line. This broke my brain; I'm used to NT wherein units move once. Twice if by road. Three times only by a very limited main road.

Finally, field of fire. Units (as in most wargames, but very specifically not in NT) threaten a range, mostly being in front of them plus sometimes to the side, plus occasionally some extra direction based on terrain. This makes for very odd situations, wherein your pieces cannot move except to withdraw or attack. Again, in NT, you can move, it just may be foolish to. Here, you simply cannot; you can't attack if you didn't choose attack general orders, you can't withdraw voluntarily if you did not choose withdraw general orders, so you're just stuck. I did not like this, but maybe I'll warm to it over the course of a few plays.

Anyway, overall I had a good time, but it was completely, utterly foreign to me, whereas NT just clicked after a single play. Oddly, my opponent still hasn't clicked with NT but feels very comfortable in GoG. Different brains, man. We got halfway through day 2, maybe a bit more, before calling it a draw since neither of us could decipher whether or not he'd be able to smash through my depleted line or not.

Also got to play Castles of Burgundy von berger von burgers again, and owning it means I'm glad I like it more and more. Excellent game, plenty of choices and all of them "good" (i.e. you're always moving forward, just not necessarily as well as you'd like), plus I managed to win so that's always nice.

Bunches of Crokinole was fabulous, and we even got a big 2002 game of The World Cup Game wherein South Korea beat Senegal in the finals, and Germany had an embarrassing defeat in the quarters, as did Brazil. Hilarity, and I'm glad we own this out of print game, even though it's really not that great a game.

Basically, July 4th board gaming is the best and gently caress the fireworks and parades.

edit: during the GoG game, my wife played Battle Cry (and enjoyed it, for her first wargame) and about 6 games of Hanabi. My god.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 5, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any advice for the first time running of dungeon lords? Group is familiar with worker placement games, but it's not a common thing with us.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks, much appreciated. Anyone else have any suggestion on worthwhile boardgaming kickstarters?

Read the TG crowdfunding thread. I'd link, but I'm on my phone.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cassa posted:

Any advice for the first time running of dungeon lords? Group is familiar with worker placement games, but it's not a common thing with us.

Don't bother with the combat tutorial thing, just have people ignore the class abilities in the first year. Do tell them what would normally have happened, though, so they know what to expect next time.

Be sure to tell everyone the game is pretty unforgiving at times and finishing your first game with a positive score is a worth half a victory.

Then play it again but with the complete rules, including the Special Events and watch as everyone has their dungeon crumble around them.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

tonedef131 posted:

It seems ridiculous to me that Pictomania hasn't been published in the US. I only know a little about board game financing and distribution, but it seems to me that this is exactly the kind of game that can be mass marketed above and beyond the board gamer niche, and easily stocked at Target, Barnes and Nobles, etc, where random non-gamers would go "oh a drawing game, cool!"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

vulturesrow posted:

As a rule, avoid them. By and large the games aren't well baked unless they're from a major publisher (and even then not all that often).

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Yesterday we went to a board gaming cafe and had a chance to try out some games we haven't played on the table before.(as in not on a tablet or computer)

First, we played Puerto Rico, everyone loved it. It was much simpler than the first impression I had, played fast, had a variety of things to do each turn, different strategies to follow and block other players. But I decided to remove it from my shopping list since I realized that what it does and its mechanics are already inspired (cough*ripped of by*cough) the games that are already in my collection. So I'll first get different games then revisit the classics like this one. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a game that plays similar though.

Then, we played Power Grid, everyone disliked and I hated it. It was so dry and linear that I am not sure how it is so popular even accounting difference in tastes. Every turn was the same thing over and over, until finally someone ended it by deploying enough buildings. Even all the things happening in the cafe, like chatting with the guy who brought his second copy of Earth Reborn to sell to me, checking that out, eating, etc. did no help to make it less boring. Also, I despise paper money in boardgames.

Afterwards, we played Small World. I had very low expectations of it after playing it on iPad and watching all the videos and reading the forum comments. But We all had great fun with it. As a very, very simple wargame, it was so colorful and surprisingly entertaining.

The guy who sold me the Earth Reborn mentioned that 2 of the 4 player screens had misprints at their backs, which I didn't mind since its mostly a 2 player game and 2 screens not having rule summaries wasn't an issue. What he failed to mention that everything else on that same punchboard was also misprinted. Searched and saw that http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/634694/opened-box-to-find-board-misprint others had the same issue too and Jean-Charles Mourey immediately responds to replace any issues like that. I took some photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mtbar0hifxgyss6/MsgQnHcln5 (apparently with the wrong light setting), sent him a mail about it attaching the photos and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, he had already sent a mail asking for my address to send the replacements. Talk about customer service.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 5, 2013

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Any recommendations for a 4x Space Opera-y game that isn't as long as Twilight Imperium - but is still fair deep? Not even sure if that's possible, but a man can dream.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Any recommendations for a 4x Space Opera-y game that isn't as long as Twilight Imperium - but is still fair deep? Not even sure if that's possible, but a man can dream.

Eclipse would be the poster boy here, wouldn't it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crackbone posted:

As a rule, avoid them. By and large the games aren't well baked unless they're from a major publisher (and even then not all that often).

I'm not sure "avoid them" is fair, but just be aware that what sounds great on paper may not actually play out that well in reality. Also, for some reason board games have a really high variance when it comes to what people enjoy, more so than, say, videogames. That's obviously all anecdotal evidence, but even something well regarded like Power Grid or Race for the Galaxy will have people absolutely loathe them. So I would avoid them if you're new to the hobby and still don't have a good idea of what you like in a game, and definitely avoid them if they don't have rules and/or gameplay sessions up.

That being said, I mostly only do board gaming Kickstarters if they're economically viable or are so cheap that I don't really care (Avalon, Coup). Part of the reason why I'm (somewhat) okay with throwing $200 at Sandy Petersen's way for Cthulhu Wars is because even if I hate the game, I can probably recoup the expenses by reselling the game and minis, of which they're giving away at least $200 (MSRP) worth. Hell, I imagine I can sell all the free display minis and recoup a fair amount that way if I knew anyone in the market for Lovecraftian miniatures. Then there are Kickstarters like BattleCON, where I really wanted this small publisher to succeed, although there was less risk with this since he's had previous successful Kickstarters and I enjoyed the previous game in the series.

With anything else, there's a lot of poo poo out there, so it's up to you to be discerning enough to know what you want and how much you're willing to risk monetarily for it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I started reading the Mage Knight rules for some weekend gaming.

Mage Knight Rulebook posted:

The Rulebook provides the complete rules for playing the Mage Knight Board Game. It is not intended as a method for learning the game, and especially not as a way to teach others how to play.

:stonk:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Agronox posted:

There's a separate tutorial rulebook for learning the game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Eh, I get that I'm a curmudgeon compared to most people, but ultimately I buy games because I'm going to enjoy playing them. KS doesn't really offer a lot to the buyer. When the game launches, you'll be able to get it significantly cheaper from OLGS unless you HAVE to have promo materials. You don't get any real feedback on the game since nobody/very few have played it, and it's becoming increasingly more common to not even post rulebooks. Hell, I remember at least a few KS recently that were posting in-progress rulebooks - if the game isn't finished playtesting when you post a KS that says to me your priority isn't a good ruleset.

And anymore, my time is too valuable to be farting around with trying to sell/ship a dud anymore. There's exceptions, I'm sure, but for every Zombicide there's half a dozen others where you won't recoup your cost.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah the Mage Knight thing that's not that weird, the Magic the Gathering comprehensive rules are 200 pages of dense text and impossible to understand unless you already have a good grasp on the game. Games with an active competitive scene need these sort of ultra-precise rules so there are no unexpected rules ambiguities at tournaments. These sorts of rulebooks are for judges, though.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Our game group bought Carcassonne and 7 Wonders.

Carcassonne was a whole lot of fun. Coming from Settlers of Catan, the relaxed nature of the turns was familiar and comfortable and provided lots of time for chat. The rules were simple and clear and through 5 rounds we started developing a good feel for the strategy. We played with 4 and 5 players.

7 Wonders was a bit of a letdown. We played with 6 and 7 players and although the rules were extremely simple and clear, the game just wasn't fun for our group. The interactivity was so low, the drafting not terribly exciting, and the payoff from drafting almost nonexistent, as waiting until the end of the game to get victory points just isn't very satisfying. I figure it might be more enjoyable with fewer players, as with the full game you don't get to wheel any cards around. We might give it another few plays but overall it seemed to not promote the best part of board games, which to me is bullshitting and interacting with your friends while playing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'll only kickstarter stuff that I was planning to possibly buy anyway/I heard about before the kickstarter. 18OE, Guns of Gettysburg (If I had managed to get into the KS), that's stuff I'd kickstarter. If I've only heard of it through a kickstarter, I probably will wait and see. Kickstarter feels like pre-ordering videogames.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

echoMateria posted:

Then, we played Power Grid, everyone disliked and I hated it. It was so dry and linear that I am not sure how it is so popular even accounting difference in tastes. Every turn was the same thing over and over, until finally someone ended it by deploying enough buildings.

I'm with you on paper money, but "the same thing over and over" is an uncritical blanket statement that could apply to most games. If you were literally doing the same thing every turn, you were playing it wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I despise games with paper money on principal. :colbert:

Use plastic coins, use tiles with numbers on them, use little wooden cubes, use ANYTHING but cheap paper that will be completely ruined if someone so much as spills a drink.

RE: Board Game Kickstarters - If I'd known it existed at the time, I would have back the Puzzle Strike kickstarter for the standalone expansion.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Agronox posted:

Vlaada. Vlaada never changes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
So far, the only board game I've backed has been Eminent Domain: Escalation, and only because I knew it was something I wanted (I enjoyed the core game, but it was desperately in need of an expansion), and I figured he could deliver since he did so successfully before. Everything else I've backed has been for PDFs of indie RPGs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The KS I've seen that aren't from established publishers seem to all suffer from the same thing: lack of development. Their ideas are good, their basically prototype implementation is decent, but the games aren't finished. Kings of Age and Steam is a fine example. A little Empire Builder love and that game goes from a 6.5 to an 8 for me. But as it is, it's just not quite there. And Express 01 was clearly something the designers friends playtested and were too wimpy to tell him that it was terrible. I could go on and on. I just don't do KS and I haven't missed anything that I would keep.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

7 Wonders was a bit of a letdown. We played with 6 and 7 players and although the rules were extremely simple and clear, the game just wasn't fun for our group. The interactivity was so low, the drafting not terribly exciting, and the payoff from drafting almost nonexistent, as waiting until the end of the game to get victory points just isn't very satisfying. I figure it might be more enjoyable with fewer players, as with the full game you don't get to wheel any cards around. We might give it another few plays but overall it seemed to not promote the best part of board games, which to me is bullshitting and interacting with your friends while playing.

With 6, you should play the team version... The mechanics work better, and it certainly solves any lack of interaction (you'll be constantly discussing picks with your partner, and the stakes on interactions with neighbors become higher and clearer). You don't really see the interaction in the single-player base game until everyone is really familiar with the game.

The Leaders expansion is also almost essential - you need it to support effective variety in strategy.

--

And I'll agree that almost all Kickstarter games are poorly designed; quite often you can tell the designer doesn't play a lot of games, and is often playtesting with people who don't play a lot of different games. I look through most of them, and there's a few common death-holes:

1. Multiplayer card game with Magic-inspired permanents/instants and every "comes into play" ability the designer could think of. Lately the trend is to have a griddy battlefield and a fierce hatred for players.
2. Educational games; usually via roll-and-move and trivia/role-play-scenario on cards. I don't think I've ever seen one of these funded, but holy nuts are these common.
3. Crazy Chess: game like chess (and sometimes exactly chess) but with some wacky/educational/serious twist. I think there's currently Kickstarters up for some underwater shark chess poo poo, and some American Football/chess hybrid poo poo. At absolute, absolute best these games could be Dungeon Twister, a game which has been out of its box once for us.
4. 4 games in one: I can't even read these.
5. RPG with no content yet, but a roster of DeviantArt users signed up to draw more incompatible steampunk vampires.
6. Miniature sales with small games possibly attached. I'm told absolutely every one of these has great minis, and the key differentiator in terms of success is usually how labyrinthine the upgrades and stretch goals are. I think buyers just get trapped in a maze of options and the only way out is STRIKE TEAM ALPHA level, which is clearly 3% cheaper per mini according to the 3rd party spreadsheet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

echoMateria posted:

Then, we played Power Grid, everyone disliked and I hated it. It was so dry and linear that I am not sure how it is so popular even accounting difference in tastes. Every turn was the same thing over and over, until finally someone ended it by deploying enough buildings. Even all the things happening in the cafe, like chatting with the guy who brought his second copy of Earth Reborn to sell to me, checking that out, eating, etc. did no help to make it less boring. Also, I despise paper money in boardgames.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have only played Power Grid with poker chips and that definitely helps, but that's not really the critical issue here.

I'll agree that Power Grid is very dry and lacking in theme. I have found Power Grid to be an incredibly intricate mathematical puzzle with very tight balancing and one of the best catch-up mechanics in any game I've played. I don't even like arithmetic and I absolutely love Power Grid.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tekopo posted:

I'll only kickstarter stuff that I was planning to possibly buy anyway/I heard about before the kickstarter. 18OE, Guns of Gettysburg (If I had managed to get into the KS), that's stuff I'd kickstarter. If I've only heard of it through a kickstarter, I probably will wait and see. Kickstarter feels like pre-ordering videogames.

That is pretty much my whole motivation for posing the questions, to see what the posters in this thread specifically had to say. Thanks for all the feedback.

And holy poo poo that 18OE game looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini posted:

I just don't do KS and I haven't missed anything that I would keep.

That's kind of the bottom line for me; even if I did miss something that was truly fabulous, I'll just buy it when it hits retail. The only exception might be new GameSalute games since they don't offer any online discounts, but the number of those I want is small and I had such a bad experience trying to buy poo poo from them I'm kind of holding off on principle.

• Locked thread