Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

floor is lava posted:

but telling people that it's lovely and never should buy it even though it's an unfinished game.

Please point out where I stated no one should ever in the future buy this game. I specifically said that, at this point in time, I do not feel this game is worth $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Al! posted:

can we drop this whole "it's an Alpha don't complain" nonsense? If you are charging money for a product, then people have a right to feel that they aren't getting their moneys worth from that product you just sold them.

You do know that Planetary Annihilation is currently $99 on Steam for a half-finished kickstarted game, right? And there's nothing wrong with that, because you're paying that extra money to access the game early, even though the game is not feature-complete. It is advertised as such, just like Cube World.

I went ahead and bought Cube World and it's great. Now my friends are trying to register but registrations down at the moment for server maintenance. But really great game, and definitely worth my money.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yep. I understand. There is a ton of potential here. I'm not saying this game will never be worth your time. I'm saying that, as the alpha stands now, it isn't worth the asking price. Its best to wait.

edit: Just to be clear, I've bought alphas in the past that I thought were fun, despite being in early alpha. Kerbal Space Program is amazing and well worth the asking price. I'm saying that this particular game should prolly be left in the oven for a while before dumping the cash.

Whats insulting about mobs is that they are worth 1xp for each member. That's ridiculous.

Mobs are worth variable amounts of xp depending on how tough they are. It's easy to solo groups of mobs worth 8 or 9 xp once you get a couple hours in. You're doing a lot of bitching in a thread for a game you haven't played much.

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please point out where I stated no one should ever in the future buy this game. I specifically said that, at this point in time, I do not feel this game is worth $20.

Uhhhh...?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm done with this game until they can fix these core problems. For those that don't have it, don't buy it. It sure as hell ain't worth $20. There are far better, cheaper games worth your time. If you have a PS3 just grab 3D Dot Hero.

You were saying? Really. You basically just came into the thread and yelled "Don't buy this game" for a bunch of reasons people are telling you are terrible reasons. It's fine to dislike the game. You can vent your frustration and move along.

The problem here is there is a huge argument between you and people trying to defend the game because they love it. Do you understand the compromise you have to make here? Some people love it, some hate it. Telling everyone to outright ignore this game and not purchase it because you had a bad time is ridiculous. Let other people try and convince potential buyers that is worth their money.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Where are people getting this idea they need to grind? I don't think I've ever consciously fought a mob for the sole purpose of getting exp, and I'm level 20.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Enzer posted:

Seriously, get 3-4 others together with you, poo poo is a blast. We spent probably four hours last night just exploring trying to find new biomes and hunting for caves for precious iron, gold and silver. We had about 5 guys around level 5-8 and were even dragging a level 2 guy around with us in orange+2 mob areas and he seemed to be having a fun time too.

Hey Enzer, this is JM from WilsonSMP, which server are you playing on? I'd love to join!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Atoramos posted:

You do know that Planetary Annihilation is currently $99 on Steam for a half-finished kickstarted game, right?

There is a lot wrong with charging $99 for any form of that game. For $99, a game better be God's gift to procrastination.

Also, use a weapon with equal to or higher power than a spirit cube to place the spirit cube on it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Anyone got any servers up?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

sct posted:

You were saying? Really. You basically just came into the thread and yelled "Don't buy this game" for a bunch of reasons people are telling you are terrible reasons. It's fine to dislike the game. You can vent your frustration and move along.

I never said don't buy this ever. I was expressing my opinion that the game isn't worth $20 at this point in time. It's baffling that so many people in this thread are taking critiques about this game as personal insults and are ferociously defending this alpha release as if they are the creators themselves or have some sort of monetary gain.
I personally didn't care for it. If you did, great! Enjoy it. I hope to join with you all after these balance issues are fixed. However there is no need to scream and yell at someone who didn't find the game fun so far.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

sct posted:

You were saying? Really. You basically just came into the thread and yelled "Don't buy this game" for a bunch of reasons people are telling you are terrible reasons.
Yeah, if you ignore the part immediately before that where he says "I'm done with this game until they can fix these core problems", then yes, I suppose it does come out as "never buy this game ever". :sigh:

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Some things about running a server:

-People leaving the server crashes it, have it on a error'd shell restart or launch it as a process or something
-There is no DNS resolution in the clients. You have to give people your IP address
-The incoming port is 12345 (the combination an idiot would use on his luggage)
-The seed for your world is in server.txt
-It uses almost 0 resources somehow

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

something posted:

Where are people getting this idea they need to grind? I don't think I've ever consciously fought a mob for the sole purpose of getting exp, and I'm level 20.

When most people are using the term, I think they're using it in the MMO sense of just doing a repetitive task over and over, not necessarily just grinding for XP.

I mean, since the meat of the game is still in development there are basically three activities to do in the meantime: grind monsters, grind dungeons, and explore the world. There is more to do, with the character progression, taming, and the upgrades, but most of the time spent in the game is doing one of those three activities.

I really like the game though, because I enjoy the mage combat (hate the warrior) and enjoy having something lighthearted and a little grindy to do on my PC while I watch plot-heavy movies on my TV.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I never said don't buy this ever. I was expressing my opinion that the game isn't worth $20 at this point in time. It's baffling that so many people in this thread are taking critiques about this game as personal insults and are ferociously defending this alpha release as if they are the creators themselves or have some sort of monetary gain.
I personally didn't care for it. If you did, great! Enjoy it. I hope to join with you all after these balance issues are fixed. However there is no need to scream and yell at someone who didn't find the game fun so far.

For what it's worth I appreciate you pointing out the game's flaws to potential customers. Since the game is in ongoing development, letting people who are still on the fence know whether or not you think a game is fun at any point in time in its development is arguably more important than after the game is out and finished, since by then there will be a plethora of critical media to help people make their purchasing decisions.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 5, 2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

something posted:

Yeah the early levels were a little slow but that's not because of the game being grindy it was because I didn't have combos and dodging down yet and generally didn't know what I was doing. Once I got the hang of things levelling sped up real quick. I just hopped on my server with a single friend during lunch break and we gained 2 levels in under an hour before we had to stop. We're not the "OP" classes either, I'm a fire mage and he's an assassin.

Combat is very skill based, if it's going slow then you probably just don't have the hang of it yet.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Death Himself posted:

Combat is very skill based, if it's going slow then you probably just don't have the hang of it yet.

Yeah, I think that's the other big thing. Once you get the stun and dodge mechanics down the game gets substantially easier and combat gets more fluid and natural.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Priapus Unbound posted:

Hey Enzer, this is JM from WilsonSMP, which server are you playing on? I'd love to join!

I've been playing on Gerdalti's server: riaa.servebeer.com

maketakunai posted:

Yeah, if you ignore the part immediately before that where he says "I'm done with this game until they can fix these core problems". :sigh:

Yeah he said:

"I'm done with this game until they can fix these core problems."

That's his personal opinion, whatever. He then started a new statement:

"For those that don't have it, don't buy it. It sure as hell ain't worth $20. There are far better, cheaper games worth your time. If you have a PS3 just grab 3D Dot Hero."

Which is him directly telling people to not buy this game because he isn't having fun, go buy another game that isn't even in the same genre or provides the same gameplay. But hey, its made of cubes, so that's good enough right? :psyduck:

That is why people are getting pissy.

virtualboyCOLOR comes off as a guy who didn't bother to read what state the game is clearly marketed as being in, what features were currently in and were still yet to be done (which are clearly listed on the game's website) and came in with bloated expectations. If he isn't having fun, then whatever, that doesn't excuse him bitching for several pages about it and then crying that people are telling him to piss off for coming off as annoying as hell.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

OK, we get it, you keep saying this, and no one knows why you keep repeating the same poo poo. You want people to stop being so riled up? Stop posting that the game is poo poo, that you are not having fun, and that people shouldn't buy it because its an alpha. Basically piss off till the game improves then come back, no one wants to hear you bitch and moan dude.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 5, 2013

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I've defeated like three bosses now, and I've gotten no platinum coins. I feel like I'm missing something.

Does it have to be a boss with the swords on the map? Do the swords change up every day?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
My server is still up. It crashes everytime someone quits or disconnects, but it auto restarts a few seconds later, you'll resume where you left off.

see <PGS Thread>

There have been a handful of goons on all day. I asked last night, and the dns name seemed to work in client (it does locally as well, I'm running it on my home server, not my pc).

Edit: Also patched the server earlier when I saw it crash, did not fix the crashing issue.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 7, 2013

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Has anyone found a use for left overs yet?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I've defeated like three bosses now, and I've gotten no platinum coins. I feel like I'm missing something.

Does it have to be a boss with the swords on the map? Do the swords change up every day?

I don't know what decides if a boss gives platinum yet but I am pretty sure every time you talk to an innkeeper the missions all scramble, yeah.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I think it does have to be one of those bosses. I'm not 100% sure the mechanics for that though, since I've cleared three dungeons but have 12 platinum coins.

Orv
May 4, 2011

gatesealer posted:

Take them to the identifier.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

gatesealer posted:

There are "identifiers" in towns that should help. At least that is what an NPC told me.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I think you automatically get them and don't have to pick them up. I noticed that I have several in my inventory and know I never picked those up.

gatesealer posted:

In town find the shop with a magnifying glass, leftovers can be identified into gear.

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I think they are from missions only? I could be wrong but that's the only time I remember getting them. So yeah, the swords on the map.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Mojangles posted:

It does have to be sword bosses. Giant trees can have bosses without being missions however.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Stop feeding the troll. He does the same thing in nearly every thread he posts in.

Back on topic.

Loving this game. Played with a few friends last night. I really hope they manage to make the terrain moveable ala Minecraft.
Looking forward to the next few patches that come out.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

"Did you miss early EverQuest? It's back, in cube form!"

loving sold.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What, is the update server getting DDOS'd now too? :qq: At least you can still play the game after it fails to update.

v: yeah that's what I meant, sorry.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 5, 2013

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

He's not actually getting DDOS'd. He's saying that his traffic is SO high that it's essentially like a DDOS.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Oh, fun, getting the "game closes immediately at launch" bug. ...except the patcher keeps timing out so I can't patch to fix cursor.plx. :emo: That file wasn't even modified, just db.dat and interface.plx.

Enzer posted:

I think you automatically get them and don't have to pick them up. I noticed that I have several in my inventory and know I never picked those up.
Yeah, you get loot for killing bosses automatically.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

wylker posted:

Some things about running a server:

-People leaving the server crashes it, have it on a error'd shell restart or launch it as a process or something
-There is no DNS resolution in the clients. You have to give people your IP address
-The incoming port is 12345 (the combination an idiot would use on his luggage)
-The seed for your world is in server.txt
-It uses almost 0 resources somehow

We're okay on our end with connecting to hostnames, and not ips.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My server isn't getting the "crash when anyone leaves" thing, not sure why.

I did notice that it's using basically zero resources to run a server with 4 people even when they are spread out. It's like some kind of magic.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Death Himself posted:

My server isn't getting the "crash when anyone leaves" thing, not sure why.

I did notice that it's using basically zero resources to run a server with 4 people even when they are spread out. It's like some kind of magic.

Server I play on doesn't get it either. Are you guys using Hamachi? Maybe that's causing it

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

All the locations with a specific name on the map has bosses, so it seems the mechanic is it's scrambled who gives you platinum coins every day.

Also this game needs someone to adjust the sound levels of some sound effects.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

VarXX posted:

Server I play on doesn't get it either. Are you guys using Hamachi? Maybe that's causing it

Nope, just running the server.exe on a spare computer at my house and everyone connects to my ip. I was prepared to move it to my actual server but found that it uses almost nothing so I can just keep on hosting it here.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

VarXX posted:

Nope, it's just running the server.exe. I wonder why some people are getting it and not others.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Am I doing something wrong, or is it okay to be level 1 for like an hour? This game is in serious need of some XP balancing. Everything I murder is like 1-2 XP, and I've been wiped off the face of the planet a half dozen times by wandering wizard swarms. This game is fun though, wish I had someone to play with.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

We're okay on our end with connecting to hostnames, and not ips.

That's really interesting. I wonder if it just has a problem grabbing cached dns then or something.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

Nope, it's just running the server.exe. I wonder why some people are getting it and not others.

Death Himself posted:

Nope, just running the server.exe on a spare computer at my house and everyone connects to my ip. I was prepared to move it to my actual server but found that it uses almost nothing so I can just keep on hosting it here.

Sorry, I meant the person whose server is crashing whenever someone leaves and doesn't connect to host names. Server I play on doesn't use hamachi and doesn't crash when people leave (crashes at other random times however) and works with host names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

TShields posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is it okay to be level 1 for like an hour? This game is in serious need of some XP balancing. Everything I murder is like 1-2 XP, and I've been wiped off the face of the planet a half dozen times by wandering wizard swarms. This game is fun though, wish I had someone to play with.

Yea, my suggestion is to find orange/white colored mobs, and pick stuff off.

Melee is a lot harder earlier on, ranged has the advantage of huge distance to whittle things down.

Don't forget to dodge, it makes a huge difference.

In the 7 hours me and my friends played last night, I think our first two hours, we got to level 3, then, we rocketed up to level 19~ in the next 5 hours.

• Locked thread