Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I want to say that's how it is in WA. My mom gets the tolls when I drive across the bridge in my car and just do pay by mail (she's the co-signer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Around here, the owner of the vehicle is responsible if they catch the plates, unless he can prove that it's someone else. I had to do that when I let a coworker borrow my car, he got caught by a red light camera and denied it. He was hanging his arm out the window. I have tattoos. He doesn't. He paid the ticket.

What a dick.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Pope Mobile posted:

I want to say that's how it is in WA. My mom gets the tolls when I drive across the bridge in my car and just do pay by mail (she's the co-signer).
Red light camera tickets don't require the same level of proof as a more serious offense like evading arrest. Preponderance of the evidence instead of beyond a reasonable doubt.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ugghh I met my first squid yesterday. My friends had a july 4th get together and had some other friend there who rides a harley. He's looking at all my gear and going "yeaaah, I don't wear anything like that, I just wear a tshirt. I don't expect to crash, I haven't crashed yet" christ almighty :doh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm going to stop washing my hands after taking a big stinky poo poo or using a public bathroom because I don't expect to get cholera/ecolli/some other nasty illness. Now please excuse me as I'm going to disconnect the airbags in my car.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Airbags really do more harm than good at highway speeds. They're only there to finish you off and lower insurance payouts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I was riding through traffic the other night with an old dude + wife on their bagger Harley a couple of cars away, and noticed that one of his taillights was out. So I tried to catch up to him so that I could let him know at the next stoplight, but every time I got close I'd see him notice me in the mirror and hit the gas to escape. I even got close once while he was stopped up ahead by splitting through traffic, but as soon as he noticed me coming he suddenly took off.

Oh well.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

eddiewalker posted:

Airbags really do more harm than good at highway speeds. They're only there to finish you off and lower insurance payouts.

Did you know the brace position is only there to kill you quick *and* so your teeth stay intact for dental records?!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

eddiewalker posted:

Not sure if on topic post or serious post.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M42 posted:

Ugghh I met my first squid yesterday. My friends had a july 4th get together and had some other friend there who rides a harley. He's looking at all my gear and going "yeaaah, I don't wear anything like that, I just wear a tshirt. I don't expect to crash, I haven't crashed yet" christ almighty :doh:

To me 'squid' is a mentality, not just a lack of gear, but get used to meeting those types.

Wait till they tell you that all the stuff you wear is the reason that you can ride in the 'cold' (i.e. less than 60F). My buddies dad said to me some time in April or May "Weather's looking good, it's finally time to get the bike out." He'd seen me riding all year round but said it anyway. I bit and said "Hasn't stopped me from riding..."

His response was "Well you got all that stuff on keeping you warm."

As if it's impossible for him to ride wearing anything to keep him warm...guess it's a peek into his mindset, or it's just what he tells himself so he doesn't feel like a pussy for wrapping his bike up 6 months out of the year.

Get used to it, M42. IIRC you just moved from the holy land of riding to the east coast, right? I've never ridden there but if it is anything like the Ohio Valley is you'll rarely see anyone in equal gear to you. Here, gear is so rare that if I happen to see someone with a helmet, gloves, and a jacket (not even pants or boots) I try to catch up with them if I can to say 'Hi' cause I figure their riding mindset might come somewhat close to mine. I can probably count the number of people wearing riding pants on one hand.

Only exception to this is the sportbike bros when they hit up the backroads, but they have too many dumbasses and too much drama to hang around with too much. That, and while they suit up leathers for the backroads, they'll leave the gear at home for wings and beer night at the bar.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

M42 posted:

So?

Maybe it's because I'm older, or maybe I really don't get the internet ATGATT-nazi mentality, but who gives a gently caress? If people want to be stupid, they're going to be stupid. You're not their mom. Nod your head, smile and move on. I don't get the internet message-board feigned sense of offense that people have to poo poo like this. Ride your own ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ThatCguy posted:

So?

Maybe it's because I'm older, or maybe I really don't get the internet ATGATT-nazi mentality, but who gives a gently caress? If people want to be stupid, they're going to be stupid. You're not their mom. Nod your head, smile and move on. I don't get the internet message-board feigned sense of offense that people have to poo poo like this. Ride your own ride.

I got a live and let live(or die) attitude as well but I get why these posts are here. In my experience the guys who don't wear gear at best just have a dismissive attitude towards it, and at worst I can feel them actively taking me down a couple notches and filing me in their 'bitch' category when they see me suiting up. I can understand the goons posting about those people cause of the attitude they put off. On the other hand tho, the smugness and upturned nose that some ATGATTers seem to have to anyone not suited up every time isn't much better.

I don't run into those people much. I more run into dismissive people who just say "I can't believe you wear all of that" or "isn't it hot in all of that stuff". I don't mind that, because I think the opposite about them. Maybe they feel the same way as the judgmental people but they keep their judgement to themselves.

Edit: Also I just thought, and this is only in my own experience as a disclaimer. But I've met a lot of the no gear/not planning on crashing/if I do it's my time/yolo crowd. Some of them have had crashes, some not. Of the ones who did tell me about crashes though, not a single one has ever taken any responsibility for the crash. Even worse and totally stereotypical, at least half include some form of "I had to lay 'er down". Something like:

I was crossin' an intersection when I saw a car comin out on me. I tried to gun it to get out of the way but my bike was a little 700 so I downshifted two gears but it was too late. I knew I had to lay er down so I did that and kicked the bike away from me. That's why you need a 1200 for your first bike, that 700 just had no balls.

Paraphrased but I actually heard that conversation when a friend was talking about first bikes. I've been in accidents and I've been in close calls, and to me there are 2 kinds of accidents. Ones that you can't react to, and so any claim of control or thought of 'layin er down' is just ego cover. The accidents you can react to...well if you're doing things right they don't become accidents. They might have had this kind, but it became an accident when they 'laid it down" cause of locking a brake or w/e.

In my mind at least, I don't care about what they wear so much as their attitude towards riding and learning.

ed2: Woah...[/z3n] :v:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 5, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just tell people that my background in statistics made me realize that gear actually works way better than people give it credit for and road rash isn't so bad until the nurse combs through your open wounds with the same wire brush I use to fling caked oil and grime from my engine block followed by six months of crusting and limited mobility due to realizing your skin is no more than nerves-in-tact neglected meat on a barbecue

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's one thing just passing dudes like that on the road, but when they're in your social circle (or worse, family) they spread the impression that motorcycling isn't safe. Especially when they inevitably have some minor down and mangle themselves and blame the bike, or claim it was inevitable fate, yolo etc etc. Then you get the girlfriend or the grandmother pleading with you to give up riding before you end up crippled.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ThatCguy posted:

Maybe it's because I'm older, or maybe I really don't get the internet ATGATT-nazi mentality, but who gives a gently caress? If people want to be stupid, they're going to be stupid.
:ssh:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo thread.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm getting tired of the "atgatt nazi" poo poo. We're making fun of people who do stupid self destructive stuff. They deserve to be made fun of because they're making stupid self destructive decisions. You don't wanna be made fun of, don't make stupid self destructive decisions. Decisions appropriate for safety in the 1960s included.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

To me 'squid' is a mentality, not just a lack of gear, but get used to meeting those types.

Wait till they tell you that all the stuff you wear is the reason that you can ride in the 'cold' (i.e. less than 60F). My buddies dad said to me some time in April or May "Weather's looking good, it's finally time to get the bike out." He'd seen me riding all year round but said it anyway. I bit and said "Hasn't stopped me from riding..."

His response was "Well you got all that stuff on keeping you warm."

As if it's impossible for him to ride wearing anything to keep him warm...guess it's a peek into his mindset, or it's just what he tells himself so he doesn't feel like a pussy for wrapping his bike up 6 months out of the year.

I've had a couple of fair weather no gear riders at work mention it was too cold or rainy to ride when I was getting my gear on for the ride home. I usually tell them to quit being a pussy, man up and put some gear on.
None of them have yet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeap. In his defense tho we're still bike bros. As I was leaving right after that he told me "Well alright, see ya. Watch out for retards".

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

nsaP posted:

"Watch out for retards".

this is my new "keep the rubber side down, bro".

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

"Watch out for retards".

This isn't bad advice no matter how many wheels. Almost got creamed in my car the other day by a red light running texter driving a Mercedes. I saw the idiot with enough time to accelerate away on any bike I've ever had, but in my Accord I just had to wait and hope the guy behind me was paying attention.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

nsaP posted:

I got a live and let live(or die) attitude as well but I get why these posts are here. In my experience the guys who don't wear gear at best just have a dismissive attitude towards it, and at worst I can feel them actively taking me down a couple notches and filing me in their 'bitch' category when they see me suiting up. I can understand the goons posting about those people cause of the attitude they put off. On the other hand tho, the smugness and upturned nose that some ATGATTers seem to have to anyone not suited up every time isn't much better.

I don't run into those people much. I more run into dismissive people who just say "I can't believe you wear all of that" or "isn't it hot in all of that stuff". I don't mind that, because I think the opposite about them. Maybe they feel the same way as the judgmental people but they keep their judgement to themselves.

Edit: Also I just thought, and this is only in my own experience as a disclaimer. But I've met a lot of the no gear/not planning on crashing/if I do it's my time/yolo crowd. Some of them have had crashes, some not. Of the ones who did tell me about crashes though, not a single one has ever taken any responsibility for the crash. Even worse and totally stereotypical, at least half include some form of "I had to lay 'er down". Something like:

I was crossin' an intersection when I saw a car comin out on me. I tried to gun it to get out of the way but my bike was a little 700 so I downshifted two gears but it was too late. I knew I had to lay er down so I did that and kicked the bike away from me. That's why you need a 1200 for your first bike, that 700 just had no balls.

Paraphrased but I actually heard that conversation when a friend was talking about first bikes. I've been in accidents and I've been in close calls, and to me there are 2 kinds of accidents. Ones that you can't react to, and so any claim of control or thought of 'layin er down' is just ego cover. The accidents you can react to...well if you're doing things right they don't become accidents. They might have had this kind, but it became an accident when they 'laid it down" cause of locking a brake or w/e.

In my mind at least, I don't care about what they wear so much as their attitude towards riding and learning.

I've heard a few of the 'layer dan' stories and just can't imagine any of them going down nearly the way they make it sound.
If you had enough time to see the car, downshift a few gears, realize that you weren't going to stop in time and then make a conscious decision to lay the bike down you drat well had more than enough time to apply the brakes or swerve or pull off to the side of the road and have a smoke while waiting for the offending car to drive by.

I've never had an ATGATT discussion with anyone really. I've had people ask if I was hot but I just say no (or yes if it's a hot day). I know lots of riders that only wear jeans and a half helmet but I can't be arsed to really care. They know they should wear gear and if they crash it's going to hurt a hell of a lot worse, statistically speaking, than if they had power rangered it up.
Now if someone was making fun of me for wearing gear I'd probably just tell them they are loving stupid and hope they didn't talk to me anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm getting tired of the "atgatt nazi" poo poo. We're making fun of people who do stupid self destructive stuff. They deserve to be made fun of because they're making stupid self destructive decisions. You don't wanna be made fun of, don't make stupid self destructive decisions. Decisions appropriate for safety in the 1960s included.

Ya pretty much this. It's easier to just say "Nearly all motorcyclists are terrible" though.

nsaP posted:

Even roughly the same words I would have posted. Thanks :v:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bugdrvr posted:

I've heard a few of the 'layer dan' stories and just can't imagine any of them going down nearly the way they make it sound.
Nick Ienatsch, the author of sport riding techniques, has some advice on this subject that I find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeMgZ_ZIpU

How exactly does one "Lay it down" anyway? Massive steering input? Lock the front? Jump off?

Bugdrvr posted:

I've never had an ATGATT discussion with anyone really.
I had this conversation with my neighbor. He's smart, he's normally logical, he's an all around good guy, but for the life of me I can't convince him to even wear a half helmet when he's riding. At least he agreed to give me his motorcycle if dies or becomes incapacitated.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KodiakRS posted:

How exactly does one "Lay it down" anyway? Massive steering input? Lock the front? Jump off?

Lock the rear and deliberately low-side the bike.

At least, that's what I was told to do (the "#1 most important riding advice") by an acquaintance of my family. He hasn't been on a bike in like 20 years.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The atgatt smugness thing is pretty annoying. I understand the risks I take when I wear jeans and a hoodie. Sometimes I just want to go to a place and not deal with being sweaty as gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Personally, I want to return in one piece after every ride.

Priorities, I guess.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Lock the rear and deliberately low-side the bike.

At least, that's what I was told to do (the "#1 most important riding advice") by an acquaintance of my family. He hasn't been on a bike in like 20 years.

Isn't the front brake the Layer Dan handle? Perhaps that's only for unintentional Layer Danning.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Gweenz posted:

Isn't the front brake the Layer Dan handle? Perhaps that's only for unintentional Layer Danning.

no you're confused, the front brake causes you to highside 100% of the time, never use it

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
^^ This guy knows what's up. Listen to him.

Gweenz posted:

Are you kidding me? That thing will send you to the moon! NEVER USE

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
People who get in your face about ATGATT are just as annoying as people who wear brainbuckets and denim waistcoats and say if I crash I crash.
Unless I specifically ask, gently caress off with your advice, thanks.
This applies to pretty much everything in life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

echomadman posted:

People who get in your face about ATGATT are just as annoying as people who wear brainbuckets and denim waistcoats and say if I crash I crash.
Unless I specifically ask, gently caress off with your advice, thanks.
This applies to pretty much everything in life.

People who refuse to wear gear are awesome.

They make it so much easier to spot the people that I should never ride nor socialize with.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

People who wear all their gear never bring up wearing all the gear and you can tell by talking to them that they're usually more intelligent in general and have racked enough miles on their bikes to have fulfilling conversations about motorcycles

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

echomadman posted:

I fully agree with that. But I think making-fun-of-on-the-internet is totally different from getting-in-your-face. I meet plenty of people riding in flip flops and half helmets all day, I don't say a word about it unless they ask about what gear to get, and even then I keep it down to one sentence about full gear and then I show them all the goggles and half helmets on the shelf.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

KozmoNaut posted:

People who refuse to wear gear are awesome.

They make it so much easier to spot the people that I should never ride nor socialize with.

As a cruiser rider I think I'm exposed to this more often. The only people I take issue with are the ones that are convinced, and work to convince others that gear is actually bad for you. They latch onto various stats such as helmet law having stats that show more fatalities happen on helmet wearing riders vs non-helmet wearing riders. They ignore the obvious flaws in such an overall stat. Even when I find what they're talking about, and show that 90% of riders had a valid motorcycle endorsement... so I guess training hurts too eh? Oh an x% were sober... guess we should always ride drunk.

The logic is that safety gear gives you a false sense of security and the act of wearing a helmet instantly blinds you to the several ton vehicles around you and lovely road conditions. Wearing a helmet = instant superman feeling. So by not wearing a helmet you're sure not to crash because you're more alert. That is why they knew they had to layer dan that one time.

quote:

Assholes on sportbikes are always zipping through traffic because they think they're god thanks to all that safety gear mmmmhhmmmmm. I know I'm vulnerable thanks to my FREEDOM suit. That is why I will never crash.
*zips off in shorts and sandals on a bike far beyond their riding limits, which is equipped with a rear motorcycle tire on the front and a car tire on the rear because motorcycle tire manufacturers are all in a mass conspiracy to sell lovely tires and make mad money on making you replace them more often. Promptly runs a ride light because there's no way they could have stopped in time, and honks at cars that had the nerve to clear the intersection they were already in the middle of to make a left turn*

I don't care about that loving guy. What I care about is the fear I have that somebody out there is going to take their advice when learning to ride and not knowing any better. It's going to take a Mythbusters episode to reverse even half the dumb poo poo these guys spout out as fact.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halo_4am posted:

I don't care about that loving guy. What I care about is the fear I have that somebody out there is going to take their advice when learning to ride and not knowing any better. It's going to take a Mythbusters episode to reverse even half the dumb poo poo these guys spout out as fact.

AND they cause the general public to have a severely twisted view of how bike owners act, leading to laws specifically targeting motorcycles in a negative way.

Who comes into contact with bike riders the most? Car drivers.

Who owns cars? Everyone, including millions of people who don't like anything that's different, anything that makes noise, anything that even looks the slightest bit dangerous or god forbid, anything rebellious. Car enthusiasts mostly 'get' motorcycles, even if it's not their thing for most of them. But they're vastly outnumbered by normal people, for whom cars are simply an expensive necessity of modern life, and mostly a nuisance.

Do we really need to give them even more reason to dislike bike owners?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Met a guy who owned this beautiful piece of machinery the other day. He was wearing flip flops and shockingly (seriously, peel me off the floor here) holding a cup from the Starbucks across the street.

He explained that he bought it last year, and while it only has 600 miles on it he loves how much attention it gets.

He was pretty much every weekend rider/ducati rider stereotype ever. Nice guy though. Started it for me. Sounds meaner and hairier than anything I'd ever experienced.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

That's not a Squid, that's just a (stereo)typical Harley owner.

Squids ride gixxahs and are into sick stunting. They may or may not wear gear/helmets.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just followed a guy on a sport bike who was wearing a helmet, that vest thing and what seem to be his gym attire, shorts and a t-shirt. But the amazing thing was that attached to his vest was not one, but two gun hostlers, one on each side, both sporting some sort of Glock. Nothing else, no bags or backpack where one would keep ammo or accessories. I guess he could ride to the range, fire both guns and then head home to reload. The most poser thing I've seen so far.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's not a Squid, that's just a (stereo)typical Harley owner.

Squids ride gixxahs and are into sick stunting. They may or may not wear gear/helmets.

Squids buy a literbike for their first bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Nitrox posted:

I just followed a guy on a sport bike who was wearing a helmet, that vest thing and what seem to be his gym attire, shorts and a t-shirt. But the amazing thing was that attached to his vest was not one, but two gun hostlers, one on each side, both sporting some sort of Glock. Nothing else, no bags or backpack where one would keep ammo or accessories. I guess he could ride to the range, fire both guns and then head home to reload. The most poser thing I've seen so far.

Wyatt Derp.

• Locked thread