Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

ShadowMoo posted:

Looking for albums with dark/post-apocalyptic themes similar to Welcome Oblivion - HTDA and Year Zero - NIN mostly looking for some kind of rock or electronic with overarching stories.

Most Current 93 albums tell a loose narrative about a personal experience of sin and falling away from God that is linked with universal apocalyptic imagery. The most rock releases are Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain and the Lucifer Over London ep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGoWH_FX-o

LordPants posted:

I really love The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld. What else is good like that?

You'll like U.F.Orb too, and some of the singles released around then have nice alternate mixes. Also check out their sister band The KLF/The Jams, especially the album Chill Out. Jimmy Cauty of KLF has an album released under his own name called Space that is also very good and in the same vein. Chill Out and The Orb's Adventures together for me are just perfect, eternal take to the grave music.

The first two Biosphere albums, Microgravity and Patashnik are really good and somewhat similar in sound, as is Every Man and Woman is a Star by Ultramarine [ed: originally wrote Ultraworld here].

(Connections: Rickie Lee Jones's voice appears on both Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain and The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.)

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Nice Davis posted:

Thanks for helping me out. Looks like I have some new bands to explore.

Most Superchunk songs aren't like this, but this is a good song for chilling out at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDozRnyrD8

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yad Rock posted:

Most Superchunk songs aren't like this, but this is a good song for chilling out at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDozRnyrD8

Thanks! I did some browsing and like this one even better.

EDIT: Upon reflection and further exploration, I have discovered that the answer to my original question is this thread. The OP even uses the phrase "wall of sound"', which is what I'd come up with on my own to describe these songs. I'd always assumed shoegaze=electronica, but that was obviously wrong. Anyway, I'm happy to finally have a word for the thing I like!

An NMD success story :3:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 11, 2013

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was recently getting into rather aggressive or purely instrumental 'early-sounding' electronica lately, e.g. Perturbator or Nightcall by Kavinsky. Does anyone know anything kinda similar to this (not sountrack to Hotline Miami - I've already heard that)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
To the guy asking about worker's lament type stuff: try some Billy Bragg, especially his stuff from the 80's when he was dealing with Margaret Thatcher's stupid rear end.

A request from me: I enjoyed DJ Shadow's ...Endtroducing. Recommendations?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some stuff I was recommended in this very thread:

J Dilla - Donuts
RJD2 - Deadringer
Blockhead - Music By Cavelight

None of them are exactly like Endtroducing but the first two are heavily sample based and you should find something to enjoy in all of them.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
After listening to Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, I've had a craving for some traditional African and Asian folk music. I don't really care what region the music comes from, though some Mongolian throat-singing would be pretty cool. I'd also prefer vocal songs to purely instrumental ones.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Rollofthedice posted:

After listening to Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, I've had a craving for some traditional African and Asian folk music. I don't really care what region the music comes from, though some Mongolian throat-singing would be pretty cool. I'd also prefer vocal songs to purely instrumental ones.

I haven't listened to much African folk outside of Mali, but as far as that goes, you can't go wrong with Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté. Touré plays guitar with a nice bluesy influence. Diabaté's a master of the kora, which is a big old harp-thing. Anyway, check out Ali Farka Touré's self-titled and Toumani Diabaté's "Boulevard de l'indépendance". Both are solid albums.

Chieko Mori's "Jumping Rabbit" and Goro Yamaguchi's "A Bell Ringing in an Empty Sky" are good if you want Japanese folk.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The new(ish) Fall Out Boy album has had me searching back into the depths of the mid-late 90s, and I've spent the past week or so listening to all the old Green Day, New Found Glory and The Offspring stuff I had totally forgotten about. Apart from FOB and the 2011 Blink-182 album, I haven't really heard much from that pop-punk sort of area in the past few years. It's really cool feeling like I'm 10 again, so I'm looking for more.

What have I missed from the past few years?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Captain, We're Sinking album is pretty spectacular pop-punk, and I normally hate that genre.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

The new(ish) Fall Out Boy album has had me searching back into the depths of the mid-late 90s, and I've spent the past week or so listening to all the old Green Day, New Found Glory and The Offspring stuff I had totally forgotten about. Apart from FOB and the 2011 Blink-182 album, I haven't really heard much from that pop-punk sort of area in the past few years. It's really cool feeling like I'm 10 again, so I'm looking for more.

What have I missed from the past few years?

One of my favorite pop-punk bands right now are THE STORY SO FAR, although they have a bit more angsty sound (but that is the general trend for pop-punk at the moment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVB_CIplD14

Are you looking for stuff that sounds more like the stuff you remember or how the pop-punk scene in general sounds in 2k13?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Eight Is Legend posted:

One of my favorite pop-punk bands right now are THE STORY SO FAR, although they have a bit more angsty sound (but that is the general trend for pop-punk at the moment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVB_CIplD14

Are you looking for stuff that sounds more like the stuff you remember or how the pop-punk scene in general sounds in 2k13?

If that's what's coming out at the moment, I'm happy with the angsty stuff. Really, any suggestions that side of Paramore would be cool.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Could anyone recommend any more artists like James Vincent McMorrow? I've been listening to him and King Charles recently, really love their style of music.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm searching for music similar to the song Funkentelechy. I liked how long and not repetitive it is.

Interestingly enough, nothing else made by Parliament really does it for me. Any suggestions? I tried a few more funk things, but maybe I just wasn't lucky.

Thanks for help.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I saw MGMT live last night and it was easily one of my best concert experiences. If you can ever go to one you should.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe you're looking for this thread.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

looking for jazz similar to ahmad jamal's freeflight & outertimeinnerspace

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You might like Kid Koala, he uses odd, eclectic samples in really fun and creative ways. Here's a few samples:

Fender Bender
More Dance Music
Moon River

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

If that's what's coming out at the moment, I'm happy with the angsty stuff. Really, any suggestions that side of Paramore would be cool.

Haha, that particular song is actually probably their most upbeat, so listen to this one from their newest release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQg9pZal5_8

I'll hit you up with some more picks later :)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Okay, this might be a little on the weird side, but can anyone tell me the most godawful, lovely, discordant polka you know of? The bottom of the barrel, since to my ears most of it is bad. I really feel like annoying my sister after she blasted J and K-pop at me for the duration of a long car ride. Guess who's driving next time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Missing Name posted:

Okay, this might be a little on the weird side, but can anyone tell me the most godawful, lovely, discordant polka you know of? The bottom of the barrel, since to my ears most of it is bad. I really feel like annoying my sister after she blasted J and K-pop at me for the duration of a long car ride. Guess who's driving next time.

Polka isn't annoying. Play Merzbow.

Or some Stimmhorn. I don't mind them but my wife hates them.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 15, 2013

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You'd probably get a lot out of digging into his sample sources, specifically David Axelrod.
http://www.whosampled.com/artist/DJ%20Shadow/?sp=6

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

me your dad posted:

Polka isn't annoying. Play Merzbow.

i like this idea- Metal Machine Music or some grindcore would be awesome, too.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I just stumbled upon Tina Dico (Dickow) after researching the singer of "Home" by zero7.

Holy poo poo am I happy that tallents like this are still out there.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

me your dad posted:

Or some Stimmhorn. I don't mind them but my wife hates them.

We're getting on the right track in general. The other stuff can be incorporated into my "Annoy The Living Hell Out of Every Member of My Family" playlist for sure.

gently caress it, just give me the worst of all you have. Unless that should be a separate thread altogether.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I am in a summer music class and I have an assignment to listen to some modern (within the last 10 years or so) ragtime music. Does anyone have any recommendations for this kind of thing? I don't think I had ever actually heard any ragtime before this class.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Missing Name posted:

gently caress it, just give me the worst of all you have. Unless that should be a separate thread altogether.

Torsofuck-Raped by Elephants

This is definitely my favourite horrible song to play to unsuspecting victims.

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE
Maybe this is stupid, but I really want more stuff similar to "Top Ranking : a Diplo Dub". I've never heard another tape that sounds quite like it. Any ideas?

Lt Greatsocks
Nov 4, 2009

Missing Name posted:

You could go hard as gently caress and just google the worst song ever. It's like 13 minutes of random bullshit including opera-rapping, annoying kid's choruses shouting political slogans, and some parts with megaphones.

Also, everybody hates Sunn. I recommend Aghartha or Decay2 (I think that's what it's called, it's off of White2 anyways.)

The only band that's really that close to your exact request is Ghosts and Vodka. I guess. At least this is :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9SmQGGBhGc

Most of their stuff doesn't really seem to match up to that song in terms of quality or energy (a lot of their other stuff seems to be real laid back and/or acoustic) but it doesn't matter because that's the best song ever.

Barky and Don Caballero are both great. I swear, math rock drummers are literally always amazing. I haven't heard one math-rock band with a lame drummer.

Lt Greatsocks fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 18, 2013

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Lt Greatsocks posted:

You could go hard as gently caress and just google the worst song ever. It's like 13 minutes of random bullshit including opera-rapping, annoying kid's choruses shouting political slogans, polka, country, holiday songs and some parts with megaphones.

She's already heard both the "Worst" and "Best" music. I need something new to make her ears bleed.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I'm trying to find artists who make music similar to Jake Bugg's Lightning Bolt. Any ideas? The rest of his music doesn't sound as retro as this one, so I can't use Last.fm to track down similar artists.

no more books
Aug 4, 2011
My favorite album is The Monitor by Titus Andronicus and want to find new albums that sound kinda like that. Can anyone help me out?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pogobubba posted:

Lately I've been bingeing on a band called Adebisi Shank. I love math rock of all sorts, but I am especially enamored with they way they manage to be rhytmically complex while still writing really catchy, dancy material. Best example of this is probably the end of Genki Shank.

There are a couple of bands they get compared to who occasionally hit similar grooves, namely Battles and Giraffes? Giraffes! (a bit more of a stretch on that one.) Even some mathcore bands like Rolo Tomassi can hit the sorts of grooves I am looking for with their breakdowns.

May be a small niche, but any help finding more hard, syncopated, and mathy grooves along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Bonus points for heaviness and/or dissonance.

Marnie Stern has a math rocky but dancy sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3oxU9-zeiA

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I'm looking for more things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pptFCbYuOIM

Its hard because I can't seem to come up with any blogs or internet radio stations that would allow me to find more music in this vein. So any information is appreciated! Specific genre name, youtube playlists, whatever works. I'd just like to find more like it. Thanks in advance for your help!

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Woah. I don't listen to much Hip-Hop but Run the Jewels blew my mind. It's the first album in a long while that I can listen to the whole thing through, over and over. Anything similar?

I also like Aesop rock, and Yeezus was okay.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Zahi posted:

I'm looking for more things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pptFCbYuOIM

Its hard because I can't seem to come up with any blogs or internet radio stations that would allow me to find more music in this vein. So any information is appreciated! Specific genre name, youtube playlists, whatever works. I'd just like to find more like it. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_jazz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_groove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSUnw3wuYS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEVizRlwIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZhaqfYLRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATAR1OQBi4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FrozenLederhosen posted:

Woah. I don't listen to much Hip-Hop but Run the Jewels blew my mind. It's the first album in a long while that I can listen to the whole thing through, over and over. Anything similar?

I also like Aesop rock, and Yeezus was okay.
Get your hands on as much of El-P's other work as possible. He and Killer Mike collaborated last year on an album called R.A.P. Music, which was the best hip-hop album of 2012. His solo work is excellent (check out Fantastic Damage for starters). The one album that his group Company Flow did (Funcrusher Plus) is also excellent. And he produced The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox which, unsurprisingly, is excellent.

Some other hip-hop you might like:
P.O.S./Doomtree
Sadistik
Eyedea & Abilities

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I like to occasionally take scrolls through pitchfork and find new content to listen to. A lot of the time is just really off sounding music though. But hey, if you want different sounding music then by all means go check out some of the latest pitchfork reviews.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Get your hands on as much of El-P's other work as possible. He and Killer Mike collaborated last year on an album called R.A.P. Music, which was the best hip-hop album of 2012. His solo work is excellent (check out Fantastic Damage for starters). The one album that his group Company Flow did (Funcrusher Plus) is also excellent. And he produced The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox which, unsurprisingly, is excellent.

Some other hip-hop you might like:
P.O.S./Doomtree
Sadistik
Eyedea & Abilities

Yessss, thank you so much. All of these are just what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Pogobubba posted:

Lately I've been bingeing on a band called Adebisi Shank. I love math rock of all sorts, but I am especially enamored with they way they manage to be rhytmically complex while still writing really catchy, dancy material. Best example of this is probably the end of Genki Shank.

There are a couple of bands they get compared to who occasionally hit similar grooves, namely Battles and Giraffes? Giraffes! (a bit more of a stretch on that one.) Even some mathcore bands like Rolo Tomassi can hit the sorts of grooves I am looking for with their breakdowns.

May be a small niche, but any help finding more hard, syncopated, and mathy grooves along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Bonus points for heaviness and/or dissonance.

You're looking for Cinemechanica. The Foals album Antidotes also reminds me of Adebisi Shank a bit, but they're hardly math rock. Whatever, maybe you'll like them. Or maybe DDMMYYY (math rock band names are stupid!!)

Chll Pll and other various Zach Hill projects might be something you're interested in, but they get a little more "out there" than the stuff you've posted.

Lastly, Zu. They're very heavy, very dissonant, and definitely syncopated. Also the sax + distorted bass combo is just so loving cool. that song actually ends like halfway through the video fyi