Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

God drat, far too many answers in this chapter. I don't know if I have any questions left.

And HOLY poo poo YMIR :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Oh, Eren~ You crazy, insane, beautiful nutjob. I love you. :kimchi:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Did Christa lose a leg there?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

I really doubt it - I think Ymir bit off the back of a scabbard-case.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

QuasiQuack posted:

Leg's clearly stuck outside the mouth when it closes. We don't see it actually severed, though, and I think Ymir would want to avoid that if at all possible. So. Broken, at least.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So worth the wait.

But wait a second. I've probably missed something, but a couple chapters back when Bertie swallowed Ymir, he snatched another scout too. Did we ever find out who that was?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Seriously, are Reiner and Bert ever going to figure out that Eren will fight them until every molecule of his being is gone?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Nilbop posted:

So worth the wait.

But wait a second. I've probably missed something, but a couple chapters back when Bertie swallowed Ymir, he snatched another scout too. Did we ever find out who that was?

I think it was just a random dude so he could steal his 3DMG.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Nilbop posted:

So worth the wait.

All we know is that they took his 3DMG.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gyges posted:

Seriously, are Reiner and Bert ever going to figure out that Eren will fight them until every molecule of his being is gone?

I think they know, but I'm getting the impression that it's not actually relevant to whatever their mission is. Laying hands on him is enough, they don't need to turn him.

Speaking of that mission, it looks like they were sent to retrieve something. This "coordinate". So they knocked down the walls... just to stir poo poo up? See what came loose? Just to get inside the walls?

I think the last one was brought up as a theory before.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think they know, but I'm getting the impression that it's not actually relevant to whatever their mission is. Laying hands on him is enough, they don't need to turn him.

I don't know, Reiner fell for the worst feint in history just this chapter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

I don't know, Reiner fell for the worst feint in history just this chapter.

There's crazy, and then there's Eren-crazy. Few can predict Eren-crazy.

I do suspect they mostly want him as a test subject, to see how an indie developer was able to replicate their super-soldier shock-troops. as for why they want him alive... well, we've seen what happens to dead Titans. Maybe that applies to their human forms too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the biggest reveal in this chapter was the implication that apparently all human-Titans are Titans turned Human, not the other way around. Is Eren the lone exception then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I think the biggest reveal in this chapter was the implication that apparently all human-Titans are Titans turned Human, not the other way around. Is Eren the lone exception then?

No - I think they're referring to something like the way Eren almost lost control and got absorbed into his Titan 'suit' during the boulder-lifting operation. Apparently, that's an occupational hazard for all newly-transformed Titans.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RatHat posted:

I dont think so Ymir said she's spent 60 years in titan form, then went back to human. She was human before

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RatHat posted:

I got the impression that Eren was a titan turned human too and just doesn't remember being a titan beforehand at all. That would be a hell of a plot twist, Eren, pre-Mikasa could have been a titan for years before he transformed into a kid or something. .

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
So with the implied revelation in this chapter, it think it may have partially confirmed a theory I had.

The girl Eren was dreaming about at the start is someone from outside the wall. Possibly either his real mother or some other sort of family; The scarf he gave to Mikasa is originally hers. Either Eren himself or his parents are from outside the wall and what Dr.Jager injected him with just awakened powers he already had. Mr and Mrs Jager may or may not be his real parents, and one or both are also possibly originally from outside the wall.

Of course that hinges on what Reiner implies about him being correct, for all we know Eren is something completely different.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Not sure if it's the translation being weird or something, but the mention of saving Christa from a war on that one page makes me think that the theories about two warring countries is correct.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Speaking of that mission, it looks like they were sent to retrieve something. This "coordinate". So they knocked down the walls... just to stir poo poo up?

Since they were talking about the wall cult families it seems their objective is something specific related to that. Knowledge on how the walls were built? Are the walls a prison for specific titans?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6

What the hell is happening with Reiner's body in the bottom right panel?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For the longest time, I've always wondered if Titan powers did more than just limb regeneration. Ymir just spelled out that there is more to them, specifically with aging. She's at least 60 years older than she looks, yet Ymir physically looks about between 20-25 years old (give or take; based on my personal guessing). But, she's only recently been able to regain her human form again. Now, bear with me on this :tinfoil: train for a sec. Given that her true age is unknown, I almost want to say that Ymir may be a survivor of that first encounter with the Titans roughly a hundred years ago, and she got turned into a Titan via whatever means. But, she looks nothing like someone who should be about 125-130 years old. So, she's either regenerated her body back to her early 20s or being stuck in Titan form caused Ymir to regress in age when she finally regained her human form again all thanks to becoming a Titan.

Also, Reiner, take some advice from the readers. Sleep with one eye open. For like, forever. Unless you want to experience a live torture session with Eren "I'm 0.3 seconds away from becoming a Red Lantern" Jaeger.

Soulcleaver posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6

What the hell is happening with Reiner's body in the bottom right panel?
Looks to be a case of awkward art design, from my perspective.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
I suspect that human titans stop aging, but only in titan form. The wall titans, for example. It seems that Ymir/bert/ernie all share a common origin, though they don't know each other personally. So Ymir might be from an earlier generation. But it's clear human-titans are as old as the walls. This cuts our factions from four to three-- humans, human titans, and mr. hairy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, Reiner, take some advice from the readers. Sleep with one eye open. For like, forever. Unless you want to experience a live torture session with Eren "I'm 0.3 seconds away from becoming a Red Lantern" Jaeger.

To be honest I think Atrocitus would be like "Son, you need to calm the gently caress down."

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21416/shingeki-no-kyojin_v5_ch21_by_tdx/30

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21416/shingeki-no-kyojin_v5_ch21_by_tdx/31

So was this the last time Bert saw Annie?

On a more plot relevant note, I think that revealing Bert's interest in her is a set up for some Colossal rage. He and Reiner were both talking about them finishing their jobs and going back to their home village all happy-ending like, which can't be a good sign for them. Bert will learn about what happened to Annie when the rescue crew comes in contact with them, and poo poo will get real.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
So, lots of interesting things revealed, but without a lot of the important details.

Remember the gaps in Eren's memories? I'll bet that everyone loses control the first time they transform. Some forever, I guess? Maybe that is what happened the first time Eren transformed. It seemed to be implied that Riener and Bertholt also ate people during their first transformation, or at least they can't remember what they did. Ymir seems to know her exact punishment as well, to be "eaten by their warriors." And we got the first hint that Annie isn't the only one who expects to be loathed even if she returns from her mission- it seems like human titans are seen as living weapons of mass destruction.

Maybe the "multiple factions" are simply more than one kingdom that is similar to Erin's, except some have their own supply of human titans, used as nuclear weapons. The wall church may even be the party which provided titan walls to places that would otherwise not have been able to produce them. Without its patronage, no place without the titan technology would be able to survive the cast-off titans of the major powers.

Also, it seems like each titan form has it's own advantages. Maybe it's related to the size classes, with each potentially being a different form of human titan if the human regains control?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I wonder if the line about "remember who you ate" was meaningful? Does a human-titan need to eat someone to regain their mind? Seems unlikely at first, but it's a viable interpretation of... well, the translation, not the original. Bert's line does support it and the chapter goes out of its way to give it fodder.

Two things don't click in there perfectly. One is Eren's initial rampage, where he managed to focus on smashing Titans. The other is his second transformation, where he tried to smash Mikasa, not eat her.

One thing that does click: the generic titans. They're all trying to eat people. What if they're all instinctively trying to regain their mind, but (barring Armin's intervention) they way they do that is to eat someone who's special in some way? Ymir ate Berik, and regained her sanity. Titans know that they need to eat this special person, but can't identify them. They just eat humans indiscriminately. This may even link in to titans attacking human-titans; Berik was presumably also a human-titan or at least had the potential. Titans attacking Eren are going "ah, this guy has [quality], go eat him".

Ymir practically confirms this, too. She expects to be eaten by Reiner's warriors. Why? To get them back from titan state.

We've got a bit more confirmation that the wall titans are special, too. I still think that they're going to turn out to be conscripts, controlled just long enough to make them harden into place. Somewhere in the walls is something important, though...

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I wonder if the line about "remember who you ate" was meaningful? Does a human-titan need to eat someone to regain their mind? Seems unlikely at first, but it's a viable interpretation of... well, the translation, not the original. Bert's line does support it and the chapter goes out of its way to give it fodder.

Two things don't click in there perfectly. One is Eren's initial rampage, where he managed to focus on smashing Titans. The other is his second transformation, where he tried to smash Mikasa, not eat her.

One thing that does click: the generic titans. They're all trying to eat people. What if they're all instinctively trying to regain their mind, but (barring Armin's intervention) they way they do that is to eat someone who's special in some way? Ymir ate Berik, and regained her sanity. Titans know that they need to eat this special person, but can't identify them. They just eat humans indiscriminately. This may even link in to titans attacking human-titans; Berik was presumably also a human-titan or at least had the potential. Titans attacking Eren are going "ah, this guy has [quality], go eat him".

Ymir practically confirms this, too. She expects to be eaten by Reiner's warriors. Why? To get them back from titan state.

We've got a bit more confirmation that the wall titans are special, too. I still think that they're going to turn out to be conscripts, controlled just long enough to make them harden into place. Somewhere in the walls is something important, though...

The thing I took away from Eren's first few forays into shapeshifting is that, until you learn how to finesse it and retain your sanity, the titan form you summon acts according to your strongest desire at the time of shifting. For Eren's first time, that was " :frogsiren: KILL ALL THE TITANS :frogsiren: ", but for his second major (third actual) transformation, it was ":frogsiren: BECOME A BIG-rear end TITAN :frogsiren: (also pick up a boulder maybe)". He wasn't thinking all that much on picking up the boulder, he was just focused on shifting first. So, OK, newbie titan shifters probably mostly think "become a titan" as their first priority, and lacking a clear focus after that, they revert to standard titan behavior until they learn how to control themselves.

Given this, I'm thinking that titan-shifting still isn't super common amongst Bert and Ernie's village (or at least, wasn't at the time they learned how), or else they'd have knowledgeable teachers and procedures in place to control newbies while they come to grips with their transformations. Given Ymir was a Titan for 60-ish years, we can't assume she's from the same place, nor can we assume anything regarding her situation when she first transformed.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
God damnit Hannes.

Someone duct tape that man's mouth shut before he gets himself killed through death flagging.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Batigh posted:

The thing I took away from Eren's first few forays into shapeshifting is that, until you learn how to finesse it and retain your sanity, the titan form you summon acts according to your strongest desire at the time of shifting. For Eren's first time, that was " :frogsiren: KILL ALL THE TITANS :frogsiren: ", but for his second major (third actual) transformation, it was ":frogsiren: BECOME A BIG-rear end TITAN :frogsiren: (also pick up a boulder maybe)". He wasn't thinking all that much on picking up the boulder, he was just focused on shifting first. So, OK, newbie titan shifters probably mostly think "become a titan" as their first priority, and lacking a clear focus after that, they revert to standard titan behavior until they learn how to control themselves.

Given this, I'm thinking that titan-shifting still isn't super common amongst Bert and Ernie's village (or at least, wasn't at the time they learned how), or else they'd have knowledgeable teachers and procedures in place to control newbies while they come to grips with their transformations. Given Ymir was a Titan for 60-ish years, we can't assume she's from the same place, nor can we assume anything regarding her situation when she first transformed.

This was really heavily suggested when Eren tried to pick up a spoon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jonjonaug posted:

God damnit Hannes.

Someone duct tape that man's mouth shut before he gets himself killed through death flagging.

I hear he's set to retire next week and just got engaged to a lovely woman.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gyges posted:

I hear he's set to retire next week and just got engaged to a lovely woman.

Don't forget the orphanage he runs on the side and depends on him to stay afloat.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

PowFu posted:

On a more plot relevant note, I think that revealing Bert's interest in her is a set up for some Colossal rage. He and Reiner were both talking about them finishing their jobs and going back to their home village all happy-ending like, which can't be a good sign for them. Bert will learn about what happened to Annie when the rescue crew comes in contact with them, and poo poo will get real.

I thought it was made apparent Annie has the hots for Eren and Eren likes her too but is too oblivious to acknowledge it. I think Miska was hinting at that in the tunnel.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Hum, Does this mean Eren ate his father and that's why he disappeared?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Batigh posted:

but for his second major (third actual) transformation, it was ":frogsiren: BECOME A BIG-rear end TITAN :frogsiren: (also pick up a boulder maybe)".
That and "shut the hell up Mikasa just leave me alone jeez."

Thoren
May 28, 2008

PowFu posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21416/shingeki-no-kyojin_v5_ch21_by_tdx/30

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21416/shingeki-no-kyojin_v5_ch21_by_tdx/31

So was this the last time Bert saw Annie?

Wow. What a subtle hint. This is the kind of poo poo that shows the extensiveness of inter-character drama the author has planned out far in advance.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So apparently all human-titans were titans first including Eren. They seem to be looking for a specific titan for some reason. It's possible it's Eren. When they say they're searching for a certain "coordinate" it kind of makes me think that they're looking for a certain piece of the wall to knock down to free a particular titan.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Eren resisting every single step of the way will never not be amazing. "Hey, look at my arm. Haha, like I could even beat you when I'm like this. MOTHERFUCKER LIKE THAT WILL STOP ME FROM TRYING" :black101:

I also don't think that Eren was necessarily a titan before he was a human, they may have just meant that the first time you transform you don't remember anything. He totally could have been a titan who the Jaegers rescued as a baby titan, but I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions like that.

Also:
Same

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

Eren resisting every single step of the way will never not be amazing. "Hey, look at my arm. Haha, like I could even beat you when I'm like this. MOTHERFUCKER LIKE THAT WILL STOP ME FROM TRYING" :black101:

I also don't think that Eren was necessarily a titan before he was a human, they may have just meant that the first time you transform you don't remember anything. He totally could have been a titan who the Jaegers rescued as a baby titan, but I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions like that.

Also:[/timg]
Same

That pictures is a metaphor for the entire series, the jaws of despair snatching away hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

So, lots of interesting things revealed, but without a lot of the important details.

Remember the gaps in Eren's memories? I'll bet that everyone loses control the first time they transform. Some forever, I guess? Maybe that is what happened the first time Eren transformed. It seemed to be implied that Riener and Bertholt also ate people during their first transformation, or at least they can't remember what they did. Ymir seems to know her exact punishment as well, to be "eaten by their warriors." And we got the first hint that Annie isn't the only one who expects to be loathed even if she returns from her mission- it seems like human titans are seen as living weapons of mass destruction.

Maybe the "multiple factions" are simply more than one kingdom that is similar to Erin's, except some have their own supply of human titans, used as nuclear weapons. The wall church may even be the party which provided titan walls to places that would otherwise not have been able to produce them. Without its patronage, no place without the titan technology would be able to survive the cast-off titans of the major powers.

Also, it seems like each titan form has it's own advantages. Maybe it's related to the size classes, with each potentially being a different form of human titan if the human regains control?

Could even be that the wall cult were part of some other group (maybe scientists like Eren's dad?), broke off because they were horrified by the human titans, and them being WMDs and are trying to repent/move on from their past.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 6, 2013