Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Images look good, but you need to show the special attacks in motion. Youtubes, gifs, anything! The audio alone isn't doing much for me.

(Gifs'd be great for other animations, too, like Wyl getting smacked.)

Other'n that, looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Lost Generation posted:

Be a hero for real this time - Let's Play MediEvil

I looove this game. Played the demo so much as a kid, I still know the gargoyles' intro conversation, even. I think that stretching the game is far nastier-looking than the border boxes (I mean, look at how the X button prompt turns into an oval! Yeeesh.) I'm under the impression that most folks would rather see the games at their natural pixel/aspect ratio than having them stretched to fit, but I might be wrong.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

VoidBurger posted:

I looove this game. Played the demo so much as a kid, I still know the gargoyles' intro conversation, even. I think that stretching the game is far nastier-looking than the border boxes (I mean, look at how the X button prompt turns into an oval! Yeeesh.) I'm under the impression that most folks would rather see the games at their natural pixel/aspect ratio than having them stretched to fit, but I might be wrong.
Yeah, the natural ratio would probably be the best way to go but upscaled to a 720 resolution. That's why usually for PS1 or N64 games, I usually upscale the resolution to 960x720 to get the most out of youtube. Otherwise I thought the video was good; you were clear to hear and you explained everything in a very concise manner.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

VoidBurger posted:

I was really surprised to see it in the unfulfilled part of the lp request thread. I haven't played it anywhere near as much as MediEvil 2, but I'm hoping I can do it justice.

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, the natural ratio would probably be the best way to go but upscaled to a 720 resolution. That's why usually for PS1 or N64 games, I usually upscale the resolution to 960x720 to get the most out of youtube. Otherwise I thought the video was good; you were clear to hear and you explained everything in a very concise manner.

I've heard a bit about this but don't fully understand it; does uploading a 720 video somehow make Youtube upload/encode at a higher quality, even if you then playback at 480?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Stretching is horrible, do not stretch. (Unless you're in YLLS) I have no issue with the "pillarboxing".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lost Generation posted:

I've heard a bit about this but don't fully understand it; does uploading a 720 video somehow make Youtube upload/encode at a higher quality, even if you then playback at 480?
Basically youtube doesn't tell you that it will throttle the bitrate of your video on youtube depending in some part to the resolution. So to get around this ,and to make sure that quality isn't downgraded too much by youtube seeing your video as 'standard definition' (i.e. 480 and below), you can merely have your video be at a 'high definition' resolution (i.e. 720 and above) and that will have youtube allow for a reasonable higher bitrate on your video.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Basically youtube doesn't tell you that it will throttle the bitrate of your video on youtube depending in some part to the resolution. So to get around this ,and to make sure that quality isn't downgraded too much by youtube seeing your video as 'standard definition' (i.e. 480 and below), you can merely have your video be at a 'high definition' resolution (i.e. 720 and above) and that will have youtube allow for a reasonable higher bitrate on your video.

Good to know. I just tried it with Lanczos4Resize in avisynth, since it was recommended on the wiki, and it looks ok.
Is there a better filter for upscaling? If not, I'll re-encode the videos at 960 x 720 and start a thread. Thank you all for the help/feedback so far.

Edit: I've just had a thought; I'm using dailymotion as my backup video host, does this apply to them as well? If it doesn't, I'll probably leave the first two videos as is on dailymotion, since they'll take a long time to upload.

neon flame fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Right, so I took some advice from the thread and redid my test footage. Does it look good enough for an LP, or should I go back and continue fiddling with the MastiDS functions?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

vilkacis posted:

Images look good, but you need to show the special attacks in motion. Youtubes, gifs, anything! The audio alone isn't doing much for me.

(Gifs'd be great for other animations, too, like Wyl getting smacked.)

Other'n that, looks good!

I'll be honest, that was the very first thing I attempted when putting it together, except the gif is quite big for special attacks. (I think it was around 3-4MB at that size) Unless there's some magic trick to shrinking its size (other than cutting out frames, reducing colours, etc.), I may just have to link to clips instead.

I'm definitely going to try putting more gifs in for simpler animations, though.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 5, 2013

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Well it's a good as time as any: Let's all become master thieves in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racconus!

Note that this isn't the final version of the first thread post (me and Serperoth are gonna redo the commentary, I'm gonna do/learn some more editing, etc.) and the reason why this isn't the final version is because I'm extremely paranoid that someone's gonna start their own Sly LP (:tinfoil:).

One thing I want to ask the people who commentate with more then one person however is what you do in order to sync each others videos? Like do you use a program or do you just do some sort of countdown?

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 6, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I kind of suck at telling what looks good an what doesn't, so I uploaded some clips setting the quality to 28, 26, 24 and 22. I'm wondering how far I can push it in the effort to make my file sizes not horrible before it starts to become bad.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Carlioo posted:

One thing I want to ask the people who commentate with more then one person however is what you do in order to sync each others videos? Like do you use a program or do you just do some sort of countdown?

Generally you do a countdown and both hit play at the same time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Spiffo posted:

Generally you do a countdown and both hit play at the same time.

Additionally, in order to be able to sync the seperate commentary tracks up with each other, it's a good idea to do a countdown and then say "Sync" at the same time, so you have a benchmark for lining 'em up.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

MooCowlian posted:

I kind of suck at telling what looks good an what doesn't, so I uploaded some clips setting the quality to 28, 26, 24 and 22. I'm wondering how far I can push it in the effort to make my file sizes not horrible before it starts to become bad.

After youtube is done with it I'd say the difference between 24 and 22 is negligible. In other words, stick with 24 if it comes down to picking between 24/22.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Test Post attempt #2 #3:

Forsooth! Let's play Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume!

Minor quibbles: the one screenshot with the boss attacking Wyl looks like it's from your first test (i.e. terrible). I'd also recommend you increase the portrait sizes a bit as these look jaggy as hell.

Otherwise, looks good. CotP is a game I have a love/hate relationship with to this day and I'd love to see someone LP it well, with all its successes and flaws.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

The MediEvil thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558321

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Here's my shot at an OP and first video for a Tomb Raider LP. We're just out of 4 month territory on release just to answer that question, so it should be fair game. There is one sequence I want to edit a bit better and the commentary could be tighter, but this is the first episode and I get fairly few chances to speak due to the amount of character dialog and cutscene in this first video.

Gilligan Ain't Got poo poo On Me! Let's Play Tomb Raider

Latest Episode (YouTube Link)

[url=]Link to Post[/url]

What is this game?
Tomb Raider is the 2013 reboot of the fabled Tomb Raider franchise, which most people agreed was long overdue. The game sold a million copies in 48 hours and has confirmed sales of 3.4 million between the PC, Xbox360 and PS3 since its release in March. Square Enix, the publisher, was hoping for better and called the sales disappointing. This is mostly because Square was hoping the game would do Call of Duty numbers to save the company from a losing quarter and year. Still, the game did more sales than any other Tomb Raider game did after four months, easily turning a profit.

Returning from the previous version of the series is Lara Croft, recast as a recent college grad with an Anthropology degree. Unlike the rest of us with that degree Lara doesn't have trouble finding work in her field and joins an expedition shortly after graduation. She brings her friend Sam along to search for a lost Asian culture called the Yamatai. Lara's research and the fact that her family appears to own the boat the expedition is using leads the captain, family friend Roth, to change course. As things like this go, the boat is soon wrecked in a terrifying and sudden storm. This is where the game picks up. Details about characters and the island are revealed through the story as well as collectibles like journals and artifacts. I'll be letting those fill in the background instead of spoiling it here.

This game plays and acts a lot like the Uncharted series. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but veterans of that series will see a number of similarities, especially when Lara starts climbing something as it is falling apart. Like Uncharted there are also near limitless amounts of collectibles (the aforementioned journals and artifacts, along with geo caches and area specific items), and a fairly small weapon selection. Your main weapon is going to be your bow, which only gets more useful as the game rolls on.

Why Tomb Raider?
When I got this game (for free with my graphics card) it surpassed all expectations I had for it, I completed it over the course of a week and was blown away by the graphics, scale and scenery. The game looks really nice, plays incredibly well and is easily one of my favorite games released this year. I was probably going to do another playthrough at some point, so I figured why not make this a Let's Play so people can see what the game is all about?

You get 360 button prompts, but this game looks way better than when I played it...
Just to get this out of the way: I'm playing this on my PC on Ultra High settings with a gamepad. If you get this for the PC I suggest having a 360 controller handy, it was designed for the consoles anyways, and handles much better with the gamepad.

I heard Lara gets beat up bad...
Yes, yes she does. Lara has more damage inflicted to her than several games worth of male protagonists combined. "A Survivor is Born" was this game's tagline, and Lara earns the survivor moniker. Famously, a producer claimed that Lara would be threatened with rape at one point. Thankfully this was either taken out or not in the game at all. It's hard to put into words how dumb that would have been of Crystal Dynamics to have in this game. Instead Lara is punched, shot, thrown, stabbed, burned and pretty much anything else you can do to harm a person. Her model is constantly accruing cuts, dirt and torn clothing because of this. It's a pretty neat effect and a good visual reminder of just what Lara's had to deal with.

Episode List

Episode 1: Welcome to the Island
YouTube

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Oh poo poo. I had always had this at the back of my head to LP but combined with the combat and I not gelling and my lack of 100%ing it (yet) I didn't feel equipped to do it (cause I'd have done it as a 100% run, probably). That and I'm still sort of working on my LP video making chops. I'm glad to see someone finally doing it, though. I loved this game despite some of it's shortcomings.

The intro is pretty cool but it cuts off early. The video resolution is weird, too. It's not filling the frame entirely. Commentary/audio sounds fine. I'll edit if there's anything past the 15 minutes I've watched so far worth mentioning.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sundowner posted:

Oh poo poo. I had always had this at the back of my head to LP but combined with the combat and I not gelling and my lack of 100%ing it (yet) I didn't feel equipped to do it (cause I'd have done it as a 100% run, probably). That and I'm still sort of working on my LP video making chops. I'm glad to see someone finally doing it, though. I loved this game despite some of it's shortcomings.

The intro is pretty cool but it cuts off early. The video resolution is weird, too. It's not filling the frame entirely. Commentary/audio sounds fine. I'll edit if there's anything past the 15 minutes I've watched so far worth mentioning.

The audio I have no idea what is going on, two attempts to get the words "Tomb Raider" in there and they both get cut out for some reason. I'm probably going to extract the audio, re say "Tomb Raider" and then mux everything back together.

The resolution is strange because it was done in 1080 and downscaled to 720. I'm not happy with the results either and may go ahead and re-encode this entire thing and deal with the giant file size I'll end up with.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
The downscaling has definitely screwed up somewhere, as both resolutions should have identical aspect ratios.

It should still perfectly fill the box on YT (this was also downscaled from 1080 to 720):

Instead your video shows up like this:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sundowner posted:

The downscaling has definitely screwed up somewhere, as both resolutions should have identical aspect ratios.

It should still perfectly fill the box on YT (this was also downscaled from 1080 to 720):

Instead your video shows up like this:

Strange, I wonder if I screwed up when resizing. I've decided file size be damned anyways and will be uploading a 1.02GB file of this first video done over. Most videos will probably be 20-30 minutes if I can help it, with tombs and collectathons being their own thing so not to bog down the speed which you are expected to play the game.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Yeah doing collection and the "metroidvania"-like aspects as bonus videos would be cool and I've pretty much disregarded any importance on filesizes unless they exceed 3gb. I uploaded three 20 minute videos today at around 2gb each. Granted they were all 1080p and at RF21.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unless there's some magic trick to shrinking its size (other than cutting out frames, reducing colours, etc.), I may just have to link to clips instead.

Sadly no magic. But I think video is better for the attacks anyway, since they have voicing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sundowner posted:

Yeah doing collection and the "metroidvania"-like aspects as bonus videos would be cool and I've pretty much disregarded any importance on filesizes unless they exceed 3gb. I uploaded three 20 minute videos today at around 2gb each. Granted they were all 1080p and at RF21.

So I went and re-encoded at 1080p and fixed the sound issue during the intro (I still don't understand that one). Everything looks great, save for the fact the video still has strange letterboxes on the sides. I recorded some Rogue Legacy the other day to make sure my setup was good and that comes through just fine. I think this is an effect the game was doing due to my aspect ratio being set to "auto" or something of the sort. It's a strange problem and I don't know if it's even fixable as Tomb Raider is the only game to do that to me on this PC. Even the source video has that aspect issue.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Episode List

Episode 1: Welcome to the Island
YouTube

I'd cut that intro down to why you want to play the game, and do it on the Tomb Raider main logo screen without a highlight (spoiler) reel running in the background. There's plenty of time to explain and show everything else while in-game. (You actually already mention the quicktime events a couple minutes later)

I can hear your clicking in the audio, but actually sort of like it since it's only during the quicktime events. Adds a sense of urgency that wouldn't be there without it.

Optional improvements:
The autoducking is fairly noticable, I think it's due to the fade length more than the duck amount. You could try 2 second fades.

There are quite a few times where you get interrupted by the game or hesitate around lara's talking - you could just keep talking normally and move things around in post so that you don't overlap her dialogue. A bit more effort, but should only really require watching through once and shifting audio snippets if something overlaps.

Edit:

Lazyfire posted:

So I went and re-encoded at 1080p and fixed the sound issue during the intro (I still don't understand that one). Everything looks great, save for the fact the video still has strange letterboxes on the sides. I recorded some Rogue Legacy the other day to make sure my setup was good and that comes through just fine. I think this is an effect the game was doing due to my aspect ratio being set to "auto" or something of the sort. It's a strange problem and I don't know if it's even fixable as Tomb Raider is the only game to do that to me on this PC. Even the source video has that aspect issue.

If you're recording at 1080p the source video should be 1920x1080 and fill up the entire screen if you play it back fullscreen in VLC. If that's the case then you're doing something wrong in the downsizing, otherwise something went wrong with your recording.

unfair fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

unfair posted:

If you're recording at 1080p the source video should be 1920x1080 and fill up the entire screen if you play it back fullscreen in VLC. If that's the case then you're doing something wrong in the downsizing, otherwise something went wrong with your recording.

I think it was something with the game, not my end of things. Same setup produced ARMA II and Rogue Legacy in normal 1080p, both source and encoded. I re-indexed the source file again and am testing to see if I get the same results.

On the other points; I happen to like the intro, I did one for Black Ops 2, but I didn't do one for Battlefield 3.

First BF3 video

First Black Ops 2 video

Between those two intros, I think I would rather watch what is coming based on the Black Ops 2 video rather than the BF3 intro because someone talking on a start screen is incredibly boring. I'm a big believer in minimizing the time between "hi, I'm..." and gameplay. In the end I don't think there's really any spoilers in the scenes I used either, Lara jumps to things, climbs stuff and chokes a guy out, not a ton there that you don't expect in a game inspired by Uncharted.

The sound is probably the major thing I want to change, the autoducking was to about the right level but wasn't set to the proper timing. Later on I'll probably end up talking over Lara when she's giving herself hints about the levels, but right now I want to let her talk, she's the strongest asset the game has in a lot of ways, so talking over her early on probably wouldn't be for the best. Also, her dialog shows up in subtitles, which are off on a new game by default or something, another oddity on this one. Honestly, the subtitle color and boxes are ugly and I'm not sure who thought florescent blue text in a grey box would be a brilliant idea for a game that works in mostly darker tones.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Do you use MeGui to encode? I know that when I use it for some reason it always wants to resize my videos and I have to specifically uncheck a box that has a weird resolution like 1970x1040 or something stupid like that. It happens every drat time so when I forget to uncheck the box (it doesn't seem to save) I end up with a goofy looking video.

Edit: I think the video is fine. There was nothing in that intro video that wouldn't be in a trailer.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

When did the sandcastle turn into the tech support fort? Like, in general. It's like 2 pages about resolution, 2 posts about commentary with you guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Because the Sandcastle is generally about helping people make their LP as good as they can and sometimes that involves tech support.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

the gif is quite big for special attacks.

Just play around with the framerate a little;

Still over 2mb as is, but it's not that much higher really. You can always just use Minus if you need to.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
You would be significantly better off embedding a video-only...video.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carlioo posted:

Well it's a good as time as any: Let's all become master thieves in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racconus!

Note that this isn't the final version of the first thread post (me and Serperoth are gonna redo the commentary, I'm gonna do/learn some more editing, etc.) and the reason why this isn't the final version is because I'm extremely paranoid that someone's gonna start their own Sly LP (:tinfoil:).

Hate to tell you...

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I don't think there's a problem with LPing a game that has already been done before. That and the one on the archive was finished 4 years ago.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't either, but Carlioo seemed worried about it and i wanted to break his little heart.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Dithiannim posted:

Thread title: Let's go bananas for Ape Escape 2

I got no feedback on this thing. Am I good for a thread?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Dithiannim posted:

I got no feedback on this thing. Am I good for a thread?

It looked good to me and I liked the dynamics you two had.

letmun
May 8, 2013

i want lp this game and i would like some help

side video we did

I'm doing this with my freind who is not on this forum
and i would love some help with the fromat if anyone has played the game
(ps: i lost three hours of recording for not know about a capture problem)
and the title is who put mecha in my level-5 game:Lets play wkc1/2

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
So this seriously was not an ironic joke or something? How can that video have been up for 4 days now without fixing "thigny" in the title? If you "lost" hours of footage then your course of action should be to get those hours of footage back by putting a little effort in, if you really care to LP this game at all. It sucks but sometimes you have to do it but if you're just willing to disregard hours of footage from your LP "just because" then I don't know what to tell you.

I suggest you lurk a bit more and figure out how people do things here or at least skim through some other active threads and see the sort of effort people actually put in to their LPs.

letmun
May 8, 2013

Sundowner posted:

So this seriously was not an ironic joke or something? How can that video have been up for 4 days now without fixing "thigny" in the title? If you "lost" hours of footage then your course of action should be to get those hours of footage back by putting a little effort in, if you really care to LP this game at all. It sucks but sometimes you have to do it but if you're just willing to disregard hours of footage from your LP "just because" then I don't know what to tell you.

I suggest you lurk a bit more and figure out how people do things here or at least skim through some other active threads and see the sort of effort people actually put in to their LPs.

ok dude I'll replay the fist part alone and I'll do some lurking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letmun
May 8, 2013
Also Sir Sundowner I f it would not trouble you could you point me to some LPs that would help me I would be grateful

• Locked thread