Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

Is it possible you could also do this for the GoT mod map? I'm not sure if it has the same problem, however.

Sure, the GoT map doesn't seem quite so rugged(?) so it's a more subtle change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/036z4xxuqb0uxsd/GRRMInverted.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How do Great Holy Wars work for Reformed Tengri? The calendar just ticked over to 1100. Can the High Priest only call them on his own volition or is there some way I can make him call one, as his secular liege lord?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Heh, one of my vassals just declared war on East Francia - and by extension, the entire Karling clusterfuck - for a single County. He's called a bunch of other vassals into it, but stil...
Good luck with that, lads.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Sure, the GoT map doesn't seem quite so rugged(?) so it's a more subtle change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/036z4xxuqb0uxsd/GRRMInverted.zip

GRRMInverted sounds like an absolutely terrifying thing, thanks a bunch!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, now my game works fine. No idea what caused that odd day.

Oh, and the Duke of Thrace succesfully revolted and kicked the Basileus out of Constantinople. :psyduck:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm probably an idiot(I really have no idea how this interface works), but I'm warned that I'll lose a title on succession. I play as the king of Gwynedd(Wales) in 1066, and apparently I'm going to lose the county of Powys. What can I do to prevent that?

Edit: Found the name of the dude that's going to get the county, but I have no idea how to find him and do some diplomacy(assassinate him). Is there a search function I can use or something to find a certain person?

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 5, 2013

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm probably an idiot(I really have no idea how this interface works), but I'm warned that I'll lose a title on succession. I play as the king of Gwynedd(Wales) in 1066, and apparently I'm going to lose the county of Powys. What can I do to prevent that?

Edit: Found the name of the dude that's going to get the county, but I have no idea how to find him and do some diplomacy(assassinate him). Is there a search function I can use or something to find a certain person?
Do you have children? If you have more than one, I'm pretty sure Wales is Gavelkind at the game start, so it's being split up between your first and second sons. You can prevent that by switching to primogeniture or one of the other succession laws.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Simply click on the warning and it will take you directly to the guy that currently holds the title you are about to lose.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There's a character search utility that you can use to find anyone. It's one of the buttons on the main screen on the lower right.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
As Haraldr Fairhair, I decided to become the king of Africa instead of Norway, because it'd be more fun and the sun of Libyan coast is much more pleasant than Norwegian winds. When Haraldr was already old, his granddaughter grew up to be this absolutely amazing woman:

Sadly, both Haraldr and his son had lots of sons, and how could they make an unreformed pagan kingdom to accept this woman as their ruler? So when zealous Haraldr died, his much more practical son did the unthinkable - allowed the Christians to preach and turned Catholic. Sadly Ylva, his genius daughter was zealous like her grandfather, so the only way to convert her was to throw her into the dungeon and demand conversion.

It's been difficult to rule a small kingdom - pagan or Catholic - between the super stable Arabian empire and Umayyad kingdom. The latter invaded in a holy war for Kabylia and I only managed to make a white peace by spending the treasury from my raiding days on mercenaries. I went from 1900 gold to 40. But I got the white peace.

The true kicker though? The amazing Ylva the genius died. At the age of 33. Natural death. :negative:

It was all for nothing. I can't even raid anymore, since I'm Catholic. At least I have an elective monarchy, so I might pick a pagan as my successor instead.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

So, let's say I want to cut back on the insane expansionism of Reformed Norse empires by restricting their abilities to do prepared invasions. The current requirements to use the CB is this:

code:
can_use = {
	ROOT = {
		has_opinion_modifier = { who = FROM modifier = preparing_to_invade }
		NOT = { is_liege_or_above = FROM }
	}
}
I plan to change it to this:
code:
can_use = {
	ROOT = {
		has_opinion_modifier = { who = FROM modifier = preparing_to_invade }
		NOT = { is_liege_or_above = FROM }
		OR = {
			is_reformed_religion = no
			independent = yes
		}
	}
}
That should work, right? That way, to do an invasion, you need to be either an unreformed pagan or an independent lord, so a king can't sit back and let his dukes conquer the world for him. The king himself can only do it so much until his realm gets too big, so there's no worry there. The problem is that I don't think this will stop them from planning the invasion in the first place, so I'd see a lot of adventurers rally to a cause and then get bored and go home.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Are there any tips for using your military effectively? I'm really not very good at it.

(Also is the Tutorial LP still being worked on?)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Is there a way to mod in ultimogeniture?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Is there a way to mod in ultimogeniture?

You can't mod succession laws, but I'm pretty sure ultimogeniture is already in the game.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

marktheando posted:

You can't mod succession laws, but I'm pretty sure ultimogeniture is already in the game.

It is.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GunganRevenge posted:

Oh man.

So I'm playing as the Byzantine Empire, CK2+, in the gamemode where everyone starts as only counts.

I formed the Byzantine Empire up from just Constantinople, but that's a whole other story.

I noted the Ilkhanate pushing in from the East. Okay. They took over a good chunk of the Islamic territories, blah blah blah, everything's fine.

For shits and giggles, I sent my Ecclesiarch over there to convert them to Orthodoxy.

LO AND BEHOLD, THE GREAT KHAN CONVERTED TO ORTHODOXY.

So now, one of the greatest horse armies the world has ever seen now follows the religious teachings of Orthodoxy above all else.

Hahaha, I was in the exact same situation (formed Byzantine Empire in CK2+ Shattered World, had the Ilhkhanate pressing in on my borders, etc.), and I tried the exact same thing, and literally a day later the khan jails my Ecclesiarch. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rincewind posted:

Hahaha, I was in the exact same situation (formed Byzantine Empire in CK2+ Shattered World, had the Ilhkhanate pressing in on my borders, etc.), and I tried the exact same thing, and literally a day later the khan jails my Ecclesiarch. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Nominate all of the people you hate to Ecclesiarch, one after the other, and keep trying!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Geokinesis posted:

Are there any tips for using your military effectively? I'm really not very good at it.

(Also is the Tutorial LP still being worked on?)

It's really more men > less men basically. You can definitely try and make sure each flank has good leadership, and even look at the leader trait combat bonuses. I also try and avoid river crossings and if a province can be approached from a side without a river border, I'll do it. You can find this out by looking at the province border information on the province pop up.

e: Oh, and keep a close eye to make sure you're #'s are decently distributed among each flank. Sometimes after a big fight or for some other reason you can end up with 200 men on your left and 2000 in the center, which means the 200 guys get routed really quickly and suddenly you're being flanked.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 5, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Nominate all of the people you hate to Ecclesiarch, one after the other, and keep trying!
You can't send the new priest to the same pagan ruler's court, at least not for a while.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Did the Empire of Scandinavia thing. Didn't get a chance to reform the faith in my lifetime, so the Empire was split between my nine or so sons. Total chaos. Went from Emperor to King of Sweden/Denmark/Norway to King of Sweden to Jarl of Dal in three generations. Maybe the Muslims were on to something about freely imprisoning and murdering family members. The worst part is thanks to the infighting, outside forces are taking land from the Empire. :sigh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I nominated my layabout, poo poo-son to the clergy so as to get rid of him. Of course this meant that he got himself into an archbishorphic, started a civil war, and successfully pressed his claim, earning me a game-over for my troubles.

:qq:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dirt Worshipper posted:

It's really more men > less men basically. You can definitely try and make sure each flank has good leadership, and even look at the leader trait combat bonuses. I also try and avoid river crossings and if a province can be approached from a side without a river border, I'll do it. You can find this out by looking at the province border information on the province pop up.

e: Oh, and keep a close eye to make sure you're #'s are decently distributed among each flank. Sometimes after a big fight or for some other reason you can end up with 200 men on your left and 2000 in the center, which means the 200 guys get routed really quickly and suddenly you're being flanked.

Thanks!

I think the flanking thing might be letting me down, as I was just testing as Karen and attacked the guys to my east and was doing well till they hired some horse arches which murdered my double sized stack. Then I though I'd try the other guys but my horse archer hired army mixed with normal troops got annihilated maybe due to flanking.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nutranurse posted:

So I nominated my layabout, poo poo-son to the clergy so as to get rid of him. Of course this meant that he got himself into an archbishorphic, started a civil war, and successfully pressed his claim, earning me a game-over for my troubles.

Not so much of a layabout after all, eh?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
I like how my Emperor defaulted to being the empire's custodian. Everyone else expands outwards like a great scourge while I mop up all the subsequent popular revolts.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm also doing the Norse emperor thing in my current game. Just reformed the faith and now waiting on my stupid vassals to stop fighting each other so I can switch to primogeniture.

Gavelkind has decided to really gently caress me over and is going to give the kingdom of Norway (where my demesne is) to my second son, and the kingdom of Sweden (where I have gently caress all land) to my firstborn so those drat vassals better stop fighting soon, my character is almost 50 already. I'm assuming my firstborn will have my demesne but have his brother hate him for owning land in 'his' kingdom. Maybe I should just have the second son murdered.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

marktheando posted:

I'm also doing the Norse emperor thing in my current game. Just reformed the faith and now waiting on my stupid vassals to stop fighting each other so I can switch to primogeniture.

Gavelkind has decided to really gently caress me over and is going to give the kingdom of Norway (where my demesne is) to my second son, and the kingdom of Sweden (where I have gently caress all land) to my firstborn so those drat vassals better stop fighting soon, my character is almost 50 already. I'm assuming my firstborn will have my demesne but have his brother hate him for owning land in 'his' kingdom. Maybe I should just have the second son murdered.

I almost always end up cheating the wars to an end. The AI *loves* getting into 30 year long wars that end with white peace. I'll let them fight if one side is going to win, but if it's just a stupid stalemate, I just use my imperial authority (via console) to tell them to knock that poo poo off.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's within the spirit of the game to mod in titles for other characters, right? Because halfway through a German Baltic game, I noticed that the Dukes of Normandy kept revolting over and over, and eventually won independence. At that point I edited in a Kingdom of Normandy (this being Project Balance, there was no such thing beforehand) and then give_title k_normandy charID'd it to the current Duke of Normandy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

It's within the spirit of the game to mod in titles for other characters, right? Because halfway through a German Baltic game, I noticed that the Dukes of Normandy kept revolting over and over, and eventually won independence. At that point I edited in a Kingdom of Normandy (this being Project Balance, there was no such thing beforehand) and then give_title k_normandy charID'd it to the current Duke of Normandy.

Totally within the spirit of the game! I've created the Norse Kingdom of Hammersland after the Hammers of Denmark conquered most of Prussia.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Is making titles a relatively easily thing to do? Also, is there a guide to basic modding for CK2? I'd like to try my hand at it at some point.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Crusaderking posted:

Is making titles a relatively easily thing to do? Also, is there a guide to basic modding for CK2? I'd like to try my hand at it at some point.

Very easy, and there are a few guides about. Check the CK2 modding forums as well as the CK2 wiki. To be honest, most of the modding that I've learned I've learned through looking at the CK2 files and then messing around. There's no doubt you'll break something, but Paradox's games always are some of the easier things to mod and are pretty clear/straightforward once your get used to the langauge—this is coming from someone who does not program either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I'm nearly 1000 posts behind, and gently caress that, not reading through them. Can everyone who's doing part of the LP just give me an update on how you're doing, progress-wise? (Fair's fair: I myself have finished one update.)

Also, does someone want to volunteer to write the basic "here are all the terms, this is what they mean, this is the interface, here's what each button does" stuff? Because I really really don't want to do it.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

CapnAndy posted:

So I'm nearly 1000 posts behind, and gently caress that, not reading through them. Can everyone who's doing part of the LP just give me an update on how you're doing, progress-wise? (Fair's fair: I myself have finished one update.)

Also, does someone want to volunteer to write the basic "here are all the terms, this is what they mean, this is the interface, here's what each button does" stuff? Because I really really don't want to do it.

I've been slowed down by school and bad luck in games, so I'm at roughly half an update. After Monday I'm going to hit it hard and get it done.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

beefart posted:

In CK2+ at the 1066 start, Erik the Heathen has a courtier named Dan Lind who is a Shia Swede with a pure white COA and a pretty rad martial score. He's been in there since The Republic at least... Was he some kind of historical figure or is it a running joke by Wiz or something?

That's Podcat and it's from Vanilla. A bunch of us are in the 1066 start, mostly in Sweden. I'm hanging out in Scotland though.

Rincewind posted:

I had literally no idea duchy revocations were free to the Byzantine Emperor, so thanks for this post. I should probably break up some mega-duchies this way before my super-emperor who founded the empire (I was playing Shattered World) kicks the bucket and his dumb heir takes over.

Related question: Is there any reason not to hang onto the three kingdom titles I had before I formed the empire? I've noticed I don't get the opinion hit you get for owning too many duchies, although some of my dukes have a slight penalty if they desire a particular one of my kingdoms.

You can also freely retract vassals, plus I think now if you revoke a Duchy you can revoke the capital county if it is not their primary one.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

CapnAndy posted:

If you have the archives upgrade (because I don't), I started an LP that I was forced to abandon a few months back wherein I had two long updates explaining the Muslim UI. I can see if I have those updates backed up somewhere as well.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Can you not usurp a title that you wouldn't be able to create?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."

:getin:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

crm posted:

Can you not usurp a title that you wouldn't be able to create?

Correct. Although for some reason I've been able to usurp the Byzantine Empire as a Norse.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

Correct. Although for some reason I've been able to usurp the Byzantine Empire as a Norse.

Yeah this pretty much kills the game for me. Sigh.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

kingturnip posted:

Also, one of the half-brothers I banished somehow found his way back to my court. He wasn't even that pissed off at me. Which made me feel bad when I realized he doesn't even have any claims. I've married him off to a random Countess in Scotland. If he causes any trouble, he's somehow got another 500 gold I can steal when I banish him again.
I tried to imprison someone for a plot against me and they ran off to another court. They Immediately accepted my offer to join my court, where I tried to imprison him again and he got away again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sonendar Status Update

So, it turns out that the Rozhan "Corner the Global Gold Market Scheme" was broken. I have since fixed it!

In addition to forcing almost half of the independent dukes and counts of the world to capitulate to your rule, every ruler who decides not to bow the knee to you is forced to pay you gold. For every non-emperor ruler who does not capitulate, you will receive 250 gold for each Count, 500 gold for each Duke, and 1000 gold for each King. (AI Kings will never submit)

EDIT: Here it is seen from the other side. Rulers who join instead of suffering bankruptcy will be forced to convert.

You also get a :krad::black101: flag.

Also, here's a small preview of the upcoming update. Sonendar v.1.05.2 will be about The Faith of the Driftwood King! It'll add more flavor events and unique decisions for the followers of the Driftwood King, and help flesh out the Kingdom of Ghanipur.

The Kingdom of Ghanipur also follows the faith of the Driftwood King, but they go about honoring their deity through somewhat more militaristic and violent means. The Faith of the Driftwood King is one of the more missionary religions on Sonendar-- its conniving, subterfuge aspect embodied by the Rozhans and its proud, naval conquest and imperialistic aspect embodied by the Sindraghari.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 6, 2013

• Locked thread