Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The General
Mar 4, 2007

echoMateria posted:

The guy who sold me the Earth Reborn mentioned that 2 of the 4 player screens had misprints at their backs, which I didn't mind since its mostly a 2 player game and 2 screens not having rule summaries wasn't an issue. What he failed to mention that everything else on that same punchboard was also misprinted. Searched and saw that http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/634694/opened-box-to-find-board-misprint others had the same issue too and Jean-Charles Mourey immediately responds to replace any issues like that. I took some photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mtbar0hifxgyss6/MsgQnHcln5 (apparently with the wrong light setting), sent him a mail about it attaching the photos and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, he had already sent a mail asking for my address to send the replacements. Talk about customers service.

This is pretty much the standard for any decent company. I've never had a problem getting replacement parts for any of my games. And I would be super pissed of a company gave me a hard time about it. I hear WizKids is pretty bad about replacement parts, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Earth Reborn is an awesome game. Congrats on the purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

vulturesrow posted:

That is pretty much my whole motivation for posing the questions, to see what the posters in this thread specifically had to say. Thanks for all the feedback.

And holy poo poo that 18OE game looks amazing.
It does and has amazing production values considering the genre and the scope of the game. I'm a sucker for well produced 18XX games, I've managed to get a full library of all the Mayfair-produced ones (1870, 1856, 1830 and 1856) and although some people have complained about their aesthetics (and I have my own complaints about the 1830 production), they are really rather pretty to get on the table, especially considering every other 18XX game isn't printed professionally.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crossposting some deals here:

GrandpaPants posted:

Some more games have been put on sale at CSI, including:

City of Remnants for $32.49.
Eclipse for $57.99
Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients for $25.99
Pandemic (2013 edition) for $21.99.
The Ladies of Troyes for $19.99.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LTO0LnaOk

What's the opinion on Village?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tekopo posted:

It does and has amazing production values considering the genre and the scope of the game. I'm a sucker for well produced 18XX games, I've managed to get a full library of all the Mayfair-produced ones (1870, 1856, 1830 and 1856) and although some people have complained about their aesthetics (and I have my own complaints about the 1830 production), they are really rather pretty to get on the table, especially considering every other 18XX game isn't printed professionally.

I really would like to try an 18xx but I think my only option right note is PBEM or PBP so its hard to justify spending that much money even though or looks really nice.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I liked it a lot. There's plenty of different ways to score points and I really like the time/age mechanic. Killing off your family is a good way to score points in the village book, so you can either play the long game and score points with living people, or murder them by fast-forwarding time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Terrible movie. The game always looked interesting to me and every review I've found is fairly positive.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is based off a single play, but I thought it was pretty boring. There's nothing that really excites me turn to turn, no clever interactions with the players, and it feels like you're just collecting cubes a lot of the time towards an end that steers far away from "exciting." The time gimmick isn't even that interesting to play with since it just becomes another resource for you to have to gather for points, albeit with some somewhat tricky timing involved. However novel you may think it is, I don't think it's enough to justify getting another game just because of it.

I don't think it's mechanically bad or anything, just dull if you've already played a lot of Euros. If you don't already have a Eurogame collection, I wouldn't really steer you away from it, but in that same conversation I'll also likely suggest Caylus or Agricola instead.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I was pretty burned out on Euros the first time I played Village, but I found myself enjoying it even though I was predisposed not to. I don't think it's notably dull compared to other Euros.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Crackbone posted:

As a rule, avoid them. By and large the games aren't well baked unless they're from a major publisher (and even then not all that often).

Sentinels of the multiverse was kickstarted and is an amazing game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh wow, those are actually pretty snappy deals. I went to Amazon to check Ladies of Troyes, expecting to be able to smugly say how it's cheaper there, but it's $15 less on CGI. Definitely gonna snatch that up, my group loves Troyes.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Exmond posted:

Sentinels of the multiverse was kickstarted and is an amazing game

Except for the art which is so poor it has no business being on a deviantart page, much less a published game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I wouldn't say don't kickstart boardgames. But the calculus for me is basically:
1) Are the promos and stretch goal additions enough to counterbalance the likely cheaper prices that will be available after launch?
2) Is this a promising enough concept that I'm willing to put money down without having played it or even having word of mouth? (Usually, no, so most of my boardgame KSes are either reprints of older games like OGRE or expansions for established games like Sentinels of the Multiverse, Zombicide, and Flashpoint where I can speak to people who've played them and then get a copy of the base game alongside the expansion.)
3) Am I willing to wait on production, delays, and cheap, slow shipping?

Questions of quality aren't unique to Kickstarter. I've played plenty of games with severe issues that were released by major publishers (coughFantasyFlightcough), or that just didn't suit my tastes at all even when they looked on the box like they might. And I've played a number of excellent Kickstarted games, Sentinels foremost among them. It's just a different business model, that's all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

Vlaada. Vlaada never changes.
The ancients played games using dice and self-made pieces. GW build an empire from its lust for pewter and nerd money. Teuber shaped the battered Germany into a boardgaming superpower.

But Vlaada never changes.

In 21st century, arguments were still fought over boardgames. Only this time, the topics of argument were also its weapons.

Mechanics and theme.

In 2009, Dungeon Lords were released. In two brief hours, all over the world nerds were reduced to tears. And from the slaughter, a new breed of gamer would arise, one that knew the new words of power. Through The Ages. Mage Knight. Space Alert.

The world has changed. But Vlaada, Vlaada never changes.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Crackbone posted:

Except for the art which is so poor it has no business being on a deviantart page, much less a published game.

It's really not that terrible. It's not great or even good, but it's sufficient at the very least.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Pierzak posted:

All the useless and excessive (also usually green) chits are the currency in this new dystopian world.

I see that there is a new expansion coming out for Mage Knight!
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/144763/mage-knight-board-game-krang-character-expansion

Apparently it is just a "Character Expansion" which seems odd but should be fun. I didn't care much for Wolfhawk from the Lost Legion expansion so hopefully the new orc character Krang (insert Ninja turtle reference to the brain guy) will be cool.

Also Vlaada mentioned on BGG that there is a digital version of Mage Knight in the works too. Multiplayer Mage Knight with full rules implemented to play online? :getin:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Any recommendations for a 4x Space Opera-y game that isn't as long as Twilight Imperium - but is still fair deep? Not even sure if that's possible, but a man can dream.

Eclipse is a great fit for this, once you add the expansion. Without it, it's pretty much an economic driven war game. With it, it's still an economic war game, but the new factions and techs bring more assymetry to the game, and the universe becomes more flavoursome with more ancients and unique hexes.

Responding to the other guy.

Power Grid is the arch Euro-game. The theme is a micron thin veneer over a very very cool, quickly learned but never mastered set of mechanics. Once you have a set of players who are completely au-fait with the rules, it becomes very cut-throat and can be very tight. A classic for a reason IMO.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?
Anybody have experience with Wings of Glory? CoolStuff is having a sale and I was thinking of grabbing the WWII starter + a couple of plane minis but wasn't sure what to get. Unless somebody has gameplay reasons otherwise, I think I'll pick up 2-4 planes I like for historical reasons.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Is pandemic a good game for a husband wife couple who are just starting to venture into board games?

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

Ropes4u posted:

Is pandemic a good game for a husband wife couple who are just starting to venture into board games?

Yes. Easy to pick up, some tense moments, but will become easy after a while - if you think you'll like it grab On the Brink now too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Honest Ray posted:

It's really not that terrible. It's not great or even good, but it's sufficient at the very least.

Uh huh.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Isn't that from the free online promo comic? I don't think that's actually in the game anywhere.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Crackbone posted:

Again we hit this argument. The artwork is designed to emulate silver age comic book art.

I can't make this argument for their other game though.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Psyker posted:

Again we hit this argument. The artwork is designed to emulate silver age comic book art.

I think that's a weak excuse. If they're going for silver age, the coloring is completely off.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't that from the free online promo comic? I don't think that's actually in the game anywhere.

Even if that is the case, there's worse stuff than that in the actual game.

That being said, I still think it's a good indie game that's worth supporting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
When I sat down to play Sentinels, I was expecting something as bad as the "seriously? you did the art for this game on college ruled paper?" art in Ascension. I was really disappointed with how inoffensive the art actually was.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I didn't see it in the OP or the last few pages.. is there any love for Illuminati in here?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pierzak posted:

The ancients played games using dice and self-made pieces. GW build an empire from its lust for pewter and nerd money. Teuber shaped the battered Germany into a boardgaming superpower.

But Vlaada never changes.

In 21st century, arguments were still fought over boardgames. Only this time, the topics of argument were also its weapons.

Mechanics and theme.

In 2009, Dungeon Lords were released. In two brief hours, all over the world nerds were reduced to tears. And from the slaughter, a new breed of gamer would arise, one that knew the new words of power. Through The Ages. Mage Knight. Space Alert.

This was an awesome post.

Adam Kensai posted:

Anybody have experience with Wings of Glory? CoolStuff is having a sale and I was thinking of grabbing the WWII starter + a couple of plane minis but wasn't sure what to get. Unless somebody has gameplay reasons otherwise, I think I'll pick up 2-4 planes I like for historical reasons.

I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

Psyker posted:

Yeah I was actually really nervous about buying the game after the huge kerfluffle in this thread over the artwork but it doesnt bother me one whit. The gameplay is so good I can't see how the artwork should distract anyone from it. But it is a subjective matter so I don't think there is much else to be said about it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

I didn't see it in the OP or the last few pages.. is there any love for Illuminati in here?
Which one?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'd assume the New World Order card game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ok so I know I'm a real Debbie Downer on Sentinels, but could people give me a run down on why they think the gameplay is so strong? I love cape comics and didn't mind the art, but I really just felt like the gameplay was dull and it wasn't particularly difficult to decide what to do on my turn. Which isn't inherently bad in a game, but I didn't feel like the game produced enough interesting interactions to make up for it.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Countblanc posted:

Ok so I know I'm a real Debbie Downer on Sentinels, but could people give me a run down on why they think the gameplay is so strong? I love cape comics and didn't mind the art, but I really just felt like the gameplay was dull and it wasn't particularly difficult to decide what to do on my turn. Which isn't inherently bad in a game, but I didn't feel like the game produced enough interesting interactions to make up for it.

Some heroes are definitely more simple/bland than others. Do you remember which hero(es) you played? I mean, none of them are as complex as a MTG deck, but Nightmist and the Argent Defender are definitely a lot more interesting to play than The Wraith or Legacy.

I like the game because it's easy to bring to a table full of younger players and/or non-hardcore gamers. It let's everyone have their moment in the sun and the superhero theme is easy to digest. However, a group full of advanced gamers will probably want to go elsewhere for their co-op action, like the LotR LCG, Space Alert or Mage Knight.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Countblanc posted:

This kind of seems like a taste issue to me, because I would say that I love it because there's a huge number of interesting interactions happening on most turns and the hero, villain and environment decks all have strong theming and play very distinctly. I would also disagree with Bosushi! that it doesn't offer anything to "advanced" gamers. While I also love Space Alert and Mage Knight (and would probably enjoy the LOTR LCG if I'd had more than one confused game's experience with it), and would probably agree that Sentinels is not as deep as Mage Knight or LOTR and less hectic than Space Alert, I feel it has a very viable niche all its own in that spectrum. And Mage Knight and Space Alert are games I wouldn't really be able to break out at local gaming gatherings because the rotating cast of players and the desire to play a variety of games means we'd never get out of tutorial mode. (Mage Knight also takes a lot longer.) Sentinels teaches in like, 2 minutes, and the rest is card interaction. (LOTR also seems like it has a significant learning curve but I can't speak authoritatively there.)

Things like Pandemic and Forbidden Island seem like the entry level no frills coop experience.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think Sentinels will last a very long time with many groups (nor will most games, and that's OK) but there's a lot of joy in there. It's fun to experiment with the different heroes and villains, and the game is very well balanced. It has its flaws, but it does its job.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

malkav11 posted:

I would also disagree with Bosushi! that it doesn't offer anything to "advanced" gamers.

Whoa, this isn't what I meant at all.

For a group of veteran board gamers I think it's a great filler game for when most of the group is there but you're still waiting for Joe to get off of work, or when Sally has to bounce early, causing a sudden halt to the main game of the night. I just can't see the same group saying "Hey guys, let's get together for an evening of Sentinels of the Multiverse."

I'd most certainly play it all night with my brother and nephews, though.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Pierzak posted:

Which one?

Oh, yeah I didnt even know there were multiple illuminati. Yes I mean the card game. We play semi-regularly, and have one friend who starts flipping out when someone *looks* at his cards too long, obviously trying to plan an attack on him.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

Whoa, this isn't what I meant at all.

For a group of veteran board gamers I think it's a great filler game for when most of the group is there but you're still waiting for Joe to get off of work, or when Sally has to bounce early, causing a sudden halt to the main game of the night. I just can't see the same group saying "Hey guys, let's get together for an evening of Sentinels of the Multiverse."

I'd most certainly play it all night with my brother and nephews, though.

I dunno. While it's true that my group more regularly breaks it out as a post-longer-game aperitif, we've played it several times in one evening before and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The newness will no doubt eventually wear off but I've already played it more than almost any other (non-CCG) tabletop game ever in my life and I'm still in love with it, and there's more content coming.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So has anyone here had any experience with that upcoming Cthulhu Wars game? I wanted to kickstart it but paying that much for a game I'd never even get to try before dropping over one hundred bucks kinda put me off from it. I've seem some scattered reviews and testimonials by people who've tested it but I'd prefer to find a reliable review or preview of it from a well known source or from a goon

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I played Trajan tonight, which was a pretty interesting game, but I doubt it will be a game that I will be clamoring to play. It had my main flaw of Euros in that it was completely non interactive and what I was going to do was pretty much unaffected by what other people were doing, but the mancala-esque mechanic was pretty interesting. Although, it meant that I had no idea what the hell I was doing most of the time since it really restricts your choices pretty well, and the game does a good job of restricting choices further in that some actions, such as Construction and Military, devalue over the course of the game. I also found that there was a lot of luck involved, such as with the senate objectives or goals or whatever, where you might just stumble into a ton of points just because. I had the same issue with games like Lords of Waterdeep in that I didn't feel like I was really earning my points in a meaningful way sometimes.

I also played Boss Monster, but only two players, which didn't work out. It was just incredibly dull and mathy, and I'm not exactly sure what skill is involved in playing the game? I'll try it again with more players before I shelve it or sell it. I wonder what it's going for on eBay...holy poo poo! Why isn't my copy on eBay right now!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, yeah I didnt even know there were multiple illuminati. Yes I mean the card game. We play semi-regularly, and have one friend who starts flipping out when someone *looks* at his cards too long, obviously trying to plan an attack on him.

I did have Illuminati, and while I loved it, the other players in my group didn't really enjoy such a cutthroat game...iirc Game of Thrones (boardgame) had the same sort of reaction.

• Locked thread