Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
No one will speak for Death? Specifically Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather and Thief of Time, but after that I'd go for the Witches, Witches Abroad and Maskerade are two of my favourite Discworld books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
CHRISTOPHER LEE HAS ALREADY PLAYED DEATH.

IAN RICHARDSON HAS ALREADY PLAYED DEATH.

WHAT DO YOU WANT, RUTGER HAUER MURDERING A ROTTI?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Roboto posted:

The Witches are pretty good. Self-contained issues.

The Wizards/Rincewind are a different style, they're more "wacky adventure" type stories. I don't like them as much but, of course, they're still good.

Reaper Man and Mort are good, though Reaper Man suffers from a terrible B plot.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

No one will speak for Death?

DEATH SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I don't know if I'd call Reaper Man's B plot terrible, flawed yeah but if they had removed one element and kept the B plot to Windle and the support group it would have been a nice mirror to the main plot and a lot more entertaining.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mort, Reaper Man and Hogfather are absolutely fantastic, but the Witches are my favorite series (even over the Watch). The interactions between Esme and Everyone Else In The World just rock.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't know if I'd call Reaper Man's B plot terrible, flawed yeah but if they had removed one element and kept the B plot to Windle and the support group it would have been a nice mirror to the main plot and a lot more entertaining.

It was supposed to be a dawn of the dead parody, it just kinda failed utterly.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

AlphaDog posted:

Matt Frewer looks like my impression of Vimes.

My life for you!

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
After watching Game of Thrones, Stephen Dillane as Stannis is basically how I picture Vimes in my head now.

Steampunk_Spoon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 27, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Windle Poons learning what it means to live is kinda :unsmith:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So getting into The Long War Right now, and it's pretty good. Definitely more Baxter than Pratchett, but there's some things that shine through.

Airship crewmember that insists on being called Bosum Higgs? Hah.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

precision posted:

I thought The Watch was supposed to start later this year? Casting and shooting started earlier this year...

They did? Cool, I thought it had crawled away and died somewhere.

I really wonder what format they'll use and which characters. And what time period.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Reading Unseen Academicals right now.

It's so sad to see what happened to Terry's ability to turn a phrase. This reads like a rough draft.

Prior to this I read Pyramids and thought it was amazing.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 2, 2013

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

Reading Unseen Academials right now.

It's so sad to see what happened to Terry's ability to turn a phrase. This reads like a rough draft.

Prior to this I read Pyramids and thought it was amazing.

I remeber reading an old inteview in SFX magazine, where Terry talked about his writing process: "Write fast, edit hard" was how he did it. I guess editing text is impossible now, and it seems like no one else dares do it for him either.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
There's a line in a Watch book (I think) along the lines of "It wasn't a happy hour, it was more like an ecstatic hundred and forty minutes". Can anyone give me the exact line? Thanks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

sebmojo posted:

I don't know man, I laughed every time the Dean shouted "Yo!" and shot a fireball at a demonic shopping cart. :v:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gambrinus posted:

There's a line in a Watch book (I think) along the lines of "It wasn't a happy hour, it was more like an ecstatic hundred and forty minutes". Can anyone give me the exact line? Thanks.

I know that it's from Feet of Clay, but I don't have my copy on hand, sorry.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
"Not so much Happy Hour," said Colon miserably. "More sort of Ecstatic One Hundred and Fifty Minutes. I didn't even know you could buy gin in pints."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helmacron posted:

"Not so much Happy Hour," said Colon miserably. "More sort of Ecstatic One Hundred and Fifty Minutes. I didn't even know you could buy gin in pints."

The latter part being an entirely separate joke, as gin was at one time served in pints. It was a cheap, easily watered drink for the poor.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I haven't actually read the book, I just have them all on my iPad.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jedit posted:

The latter part being an entirely separate joke, as gin was at one time served in pints. It was a cheap, easily watered drink for the poor.

I wonder how lethal gin would be watered down with the crust of the river Ankh?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I think my favourite watch quote will always be "They felt, in fact, tremendously bucked-up, which was how Lady Ramkin would almost certainly have put it and which was definitely several letters of the alphabet away from how they normally felt."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder how lethal gin would be watered down with the crust of the river Ankh?

In that case, it would be the Ankh being watered down by the gin.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

John Dough posted:

In that case, it would be the Ankh being watered down by the gin.

Explains how they actually drink the stuff from that river. I guess the gin loosens the crust of it enough.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I think my favourite watch quote will always be "They felt, in fact, tremendously bucked-up, which was how Lady Ramkin would almost certainly have put it and which was definitely several letters of the alphabet away from how they normally felt."

This is my personal favourite too.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Explains how they actually drink the stuff from that river. I guess the gin loosens the crust of it enough.

Any water that's been filtered by so many bladders *has* to be pure. ;)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: Facebook says that the next Discworld novel, "Raising Steam," will be published October 24. :siren:

Apparently it is about trains.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Charles Dance is the ultimate Vetinari and I wont here it any other drat way.

In other news,

quote:

**EXCITING BREAKING NEWS**

We're delighted to confirm that a brand new Discworld novel is heading your way and will available before Christmas!
RAISING STEAM - the 40th book in the Discworld series – will be published on 24th October and will see the Disc's first train come steaming into town.

More details to follow very soon…

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

withak posted:

:siren: Facebook says that the next Discworld novel, "Raising Steam," will be published October 24. :siren:

Apparently it is about trains.

Trains? Well gosh we never saw that coming.

I have a feeling that he's been so massively Moist-heavy is because the Industrial Revolution was a story that he really wanted to tell and now time is ticking he's hurrying through them in one big slam rather than taking his time with other characters along the way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I figured out what's wrong with Unseen Academicals.

It's at least three Discworld books mashed into one. Oh sure he tries to have all the plots fit together, but it's an awkward fit. It's super long and easily could have been broken up into "the one about football" and "the one about Nutt/Glenda/Juliet" with very few alterations.

e: Oh poo poo, now I'm wondering if the uneditied versions of all the past Disc books were just as long and had tonnes more subplot than they already do... and I kind of want to read that. :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I have a feeling that he's been so massively Moist-heavy is because the Industrial Revolution was a story that he really wanted to tell and now time is ticking he's hurrying through them in one big slam rather than taking his time with other characters along the way.

Moist is also a Vetinari-lite character who manipulates others and gets things done. Which is the character you want to tell stories about breaking up established power structures and creating new order.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

In "How did I never notice that before" news, I've just re-read Feet of Clay. And I'm kicking myself over missing this before:

quote:

"We can rebuild him," Carrot said hoarsely. "We have the pottery."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Staggy posted:

In "How did I never notice that before" news, I've just re-read Feet of Clay. And I'm kicking myself over missing this before:

I like what they do when they fix him, which is alter his chem with the instructions:

1) Serve the public trust.
2) Protect the innocent.
3) Seriously prod buttock.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Pretty sure he doesn't have a chem at that point, the clay remembers after all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

I think I'll flick through it at the book store, but I'm not sure I can take the drop in quality. It makes me sad, particularly as I loved the other two Moist books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would have preferred Raising Taxes. I think there's just a lot more satire and funny to be mined out of that premise than "trains".

e: Oh, unless Moist gets made Tax-Man in order to get the money to make the trains, which kinda sounds fairly plausible now that I think about it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

precision posted:

I would have preferred Raising Taxes. I think there's just a lot more satire and funny to be mined out of that premise than "trains".

e: Oh, unless Moist gets made Tax-Man in order to get the money to make the trains, which kinda sounds fairly plausible now that I think about it.

thats pretty much what it was always going to be even when the title was raising taxes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

He could have a lot of fun with Ayn Rand.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This one's gonna probably be very much a pastiche of the London Underground and associated culture and drama surrounding that (especially with the mine symbol being the underground symbol) so it's probably gonna sound less appealing to non-brits.

Pretty sure he doesn't have a chem at that point, the clay remembers after all.

WORDS IN THE HEART CAN NOT BE TAKEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just managed to find and finish a copy of the Wee Free Men, and having read all the Tiffany Aching books apart from that, I can't believe I missed the fact that "Miss Tick" sounds like "mystic".

Which Pratchett points out in the very first book of the sub-series.