Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Any good films/documentaries about Haile Selassie/Ethiopia?

Also, anything about the early United Nations would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Popcorn posted:

I have developed a taste for sad Japanese romances. Some I've enjoyed are Love Letter and Crying Out Love at the Center of the World. Any more?

e: not quite the same thing, but I also absolutely loving adored Linda Linda Linda. It's not sad or romantic, but it has a similar sort of realistic, contemplative tone.

You might be into the film Beginners.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Just came back from seeing "Only God Forgives" and I'm hungry for more films centered around asian organized crime - not realy Yakuza though, more like the Triads, asian street gangs etc.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I just watched Snow Angels and that movie was really fantastic but holy cow was it depressing. Is there any movies that people can recommend where basically "everything goes to poo poo for everyone" not like an action movie but just stupid drama that goes wrong where every body ends up miserable? Another good example is House of Sand and Fog. I love the movies where nothing ends well for anyone - any good suggestions?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meowbot posted:

I just watched Snow Angels and that movie was really fantastic but holy cow was it depressing. Is there any movies that people can recommend where basically "everything goes to poo poo for everyone" not like an action movie but just stupid drama that goes wrong where every body ends up miserable? Another good example is House of Sand and Fog. I love the movies where nothing ends well for anyone - any good suggestions?

Closer, maybe? I haven't seen it in years so I don't remember if it's especially good, but it definitely fits the description.

EDIT: Oh, and Dangerous Liaisons is awesome, although kind of obvious in this genre so maybe you've already seen it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 23, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Meowbot posted:

Happy Together
Dancer in the Dark
(the two above are the most soul-crushing movies ever)
The Hours
Angel Heart
Audition
Badlands
Barry Lyndon
Das Boot
DOA (original)
Repulsion
The Tenant
Synecdoche NY
Lost Highway
The Thing
There Will Be Blood
Vertigo

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 23, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Watch Antichrist and The Ceremony (1995, not the 60s or 70s ones). Valhalla Rising fits that well too, although I can't say I really liked it.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

Red Garland posted:

Just came back from seeing "Only God Forgives" and I'm hungry for more films centered around asian organized crime - not realy Yakuza though, more like the Triads, asian street gangs etc.

All of these films deal with triads:

Beast Cops - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157366/
Infernal Affairs - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/
Election - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434008/?ref_=tt_rec_tti
Young and Dangerous - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116456/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Infernal Affairs, Beast Cops and Election are really good and worth tracking down. The Young and Dangerous series are really campy, but fun.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

regulargonzalez posted:

Happy Together
Dancer in the Dark
(the two above are the most soul-crushing movies ever)
The Hours
Angel Heart
Audition
Badlands
Barry Lyndon
Das Boot
DOA (original)
Repulsion
The Tenant
Synecdoche NY
Lost Highway
The Thing
There Will Be Blood
Vertigo

Wow thanks, I've seen quite a few of those but yeah definitely Dancer in the Dark is by far one of the best sad movies of all time. There is several DOA on IMDB which one are you referring to? I am also surprised to see Badlands, a movie about a violent murder spree is rated PG. I'll have to watch Happy Together. Ever since I finished watching Snow Angels I've been pretty depressed. That movie was something else. I like it when a movie makes you still feel it a day later.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Meowbot posted:

Wow thanks, I've seen quite a few of those but yeah definitely Dancer in the Dark is by far one of the best sad movies of all time. There is several DOA on IMDB which one are you referring to? I am also surprised to see Badlands, a movie about a violent murder spree is rated PG. I'll have to watch Happy Together. Ever since I finished watching Snow Angels I've been pretty depressed. That movie was something else. I like it when a movie makes you still feel it a day later.

DOA - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042369/
Also I should note that this is the Happy Together I mentioned, it appears there are a few movies by that name http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118845/

And generally speaking, I'd split my list into two -- there are different types of melancholy and despair, and they seem to group into what I'll call "Tragedy of the human condition" and "Nightmare shitscape"

Movies in the first would be Happy Together, Dancer in the Dark, House of Sand and Fog, The Hours, Barry Lyndon, Synecdoche NY, There Will Be Blood. Also, Dear Zachary.

Most of the rest I'd put into the second category. I guess if I had to describe the difference I'd say the first group is largely about relationships or the self and the second is about external events.

e: Oh poo poo, how could I forget Melancholia? Fantastic movie. In fact, a lot of Lars von Trier's movies would fit your criteria (he was the director of Dancer in the Dark). Breaking the Waves, for example, and The Five Obstructions has some great moments along those lines. Werner Herzog too: Woyzeck, Aguirre, Stroszek leap to mind.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 23, 2013

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

DOA - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042369/
Also I should note that this is the Happy Together I mentioned, it appears there are a few movies by that name http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118845/

And generally speaking, I'd split my list into two -- there are different types of melancholy and despair, and they seem to group into what I'll call "Tragedy of the human condition" and "Nightmare shitscape"

Movies in the first would be Happy Together, Dancer in the Dark, House of Sand and Fog, The Hours, Barry Lyndon, Synecdoche NY, There Will Be Blood. Also, Dear Zachary.

Most of the rest I'd put into the second category. I guess if I had to describe the difference I'd say the first group is largely about relationships or the self and the second is about external events.

e: Oh poo poo, how could I forget Melancholia? Fantastic movie. In fact, a lot of Lars von Trier's movies would fit your criteria (he was the director of Dancer in the Dark). Breaking the Waves, for example, and The Five Obstructions has some great moments along those lines. Werner Herzog too: Woyzeck, Aguirre, Stroszek leap to mind.

Good suggestions. I got some good options here to sit down and watch. Think I'll start with Happy Together and DOA sounds like it should be pretty remarkable. If you enjoy these types of movies I highly suggest watching Snow Angels. It just kept getting worse for the main characters. I loved it.

Another movie that some people overlook because it is a child's movie is Bridge to Terabithia. That is a really good "tragedy of the human condition" type of movie even considering the target audience is kids. I think the king of this sub-sub-genre is still House of Sand and Fog, though.

I think one of my favorite movies that falls into the nightmare shitscape is "Into the mouth of madness" even though it is a horror movie it does an amazing job of portraying what it is like to feel like you are losing your grip on reality.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I enjoyed Alice and Little Otik. What are some other good Jan Švankmajer films I should check out?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Faust.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can anyone help me out picking films to watch for my local Film Festival that just got it's guide out?
http://www.nziff.co.nz/file/40932
There's a lot of Cannes stuff, so maybe if you've heard buzz rather than seen, let me know.
I'd especially be interested in stuff from the French and Documentary sections because I'm clueless on most of those.

Films I'm definitely seeing:

Only Lovers Left Alive
The Dance of Reality
Like Father Like Son
The Past
Suspiria w/ Goblin
North by Northwest
Dial M for Murder
Stories We Tell
A Touch of Sin
Leviathan
To The Wonder
Upstream Color
Computer Chess
The Bling Ring
Frances Ha
Mud
Prince Avalanche
A Band Called Death
A Field in England
Lesson of the Evil
Maniac
You're Next

Cheers.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
I'm terrible at film festivals because i always stick to the familiar. Charulata's playing. I haven't seen it yet but i'd consider the new Lav Diaz - Norte and the End of History - unmissable if it's anything like his previous stuff. It will be long though. And the new Jia and Koreeda but you've already ticked them off. Nobody's Daughter Haewon and Blancanieves are ok.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meowbot posted:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe
and the 50's noir DOA is awesome and fits your criteria, the 1999 Takeshi Miike film probably fits too if you like ultraviolence, and in that vein I'd recommend Ichi The Killer.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some really good cerebral movies, specifically ones that touch on some really heavy themes? I get that cerebral is a pretty broad term, so specifically I'm looking for movies like Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey instead of Inception or Fight Club. I've got The Fountain next on my list but after that I'm not too sure what I should watch.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Blast of Confetti posted:

What are some really good cerebral movies, specifically ones that touch on some really heavy themes? I get that cerebral is a pretty broad term, so specifically I'm looking for movies like Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey instead of Inception or Fight Club. I've got The Fountain next on my list but after that I'm not too sure what I should watch.
Two words: David Lynch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

All of Charlie Kaufman's films, so stuff like:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation
Synecdoche, New York

All of Kubrick's films, so, for example:

Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange

Tons of Coen brothers films, like:

A Serious Man
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There

Some Woody Allen films, especially later ones, like:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Annie Hall
Deconstructing Harry

Tons of Tarkovsky films, like:

Solaris
Nostalghia

Tons of Bergman films, like:

The Seventh Seal

Also 12 Monkeys, THX 1138, La Jetée, and probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CloseFriend posted:

David Lynch

Ooh, thanks for these! I've heard of a lot of these movies and directors, but I'm just now starting to get in to this kind of movie so it was hard to find a starting point.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm having a hard time understanding how 2001 fits into the classification of "cerebral" but Inception doesn't. If anything I'd say Inception is much more cerebral than 2001. Inception is all about "figuring out" the intricacies of the dream logic and the rules of time dilation in order to follow the plot - pretty cerebral if you ask me. 2001 is more about mood and feelings and tone - much more visceral.

E: Oh, and David Lynch is definitely NOT a good example of cerebral. Eraserhead, for instance, is about the most visceral movie I can think of.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 6, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

caiman posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding how 2001 fits into the classification of "cerebral" but Inception doesn't. If anything I'd say Inception is much more cerebral than 2001. Inception is all about "figuring out" the intricacies of the dream logic and the rules of time dilation in order to follow the plot - pretty cerebral if you ask me. 2001 is more about mood and feelings and tone - much more visceral.

E: Oh, and David Lynch is definitely NOT cerebral. Eraserhead, for instance, is about the most visceral movie I can think of.

I realized a bit after I wrote the question that it may ruffle a few feathers, but I did say that Inception is a cerebral movie. I guess I just didn't word it very. What I was really saying was at the end of Inception all I got out of it was a man trying to deal with the death of his wife and in 2001 there's a point at the end where the fourth wall is broken and the hotel sequence is an exploration on that and open to all different kind of interpretations.

Maybe what I should have asked is what are some good cerebral films that aren't very recent. :v:

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 6, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I realized a bit after I wrote the question that it may ruffle a few feathers, but I did say that Inception is a cerebral movie. I guess I just didn't word it very. What I was really saying was at the end of Inception all I got out of it was a man trying to deal with the death of his wife and in 2001 there's a point at the end where the fourth wall is broken and the hotel sequence is an exploration on that and open to all different kind of interpretations.

Maybe what I should have asked is what are some good cerebral films that aren't very recent. :v:

Ah, I think I hear you now. I think you're looking for movies that have substantial subtext and symbolism, and that "make you think" not in an intellectual way (like following the plot of Primer), but in an exploration of themes and meanings. In that case, yeah, check out David Lynch - Eraserhead and Mullholand Drive. Also Terrence Malick - The Tree of Life, Days of Heaven. Luis Bunuel - The Exterminating Angel. Werner Herzog - Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Enigma of Kasper Hauser. Bela Tarr - Werckmeister Harmonies, Satantango. Ingmar Bergman - Persona, Wild Strawberries, Hour of the Wolf.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah cool, thanks for the suggestions. Should have a big enough list now for stuff to work through over the next few months.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

All right, I just signed up for a free trial at Warner Archive Instant. What do you guys recommend I watch in these two weeks? I specifically joined to watch Dark of the Sun. What else is there that I should check out. The rarer the better (as long as it doesn't suck, of course).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CloseFriend posted:

All right, I just signed up for a free trial at Warner Archive Instant. What do you guys recommend I watch in these two weeks? I specifically joined to watch Dark of the Sun. What else is there that I should check out. The rarer the better (as long as it doesn't suck, of course).

The Arrangement is very under-rated.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I don't know very much about musicals, but I'd like to watch some good ones. I really enjoy South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, the Book of Mormon, and Little Shop of Horrors, and of course the Disney animated musicals. I realize most of these are comedic in nature but I'd be interested in watching more dramatic films as well

bowser fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 13, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

bowser posted:

I don't know very much about musicals, but I'd like to watch some good ones. I really enjoy South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, the Book of Mormon, and Little Shop of Horrors, and of course the Disney animated musicals.

Jesus Christ Superstar has loads of great tunes. So does 1776. Based on what you listed, though, I'm not sure they're what you're looking for. Maybe Repo: The Genetic Opera? Hedwig and The Angry Inch is also great.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

bowser posted:

I don't know very much about musicals, but I'd like to watch some good ones. I really enjoy South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, the Book of Mormon, and Little Shop of Horrors, and of course the Disney animated musicals. I realize most of these are comedic in nature but I'd be interested in watching more dramatic films as well
I just watched Rocky Horror Picture Show for the second time last night, and I consider it the best musical I've ever seen.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bowser posted:

Given your tastes, I think you'll really enjoy Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which is very near and dear to my heart. The musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 6's "Once More With Feeling" (also written by Joss Whedon) is incredible, but you may feel lost unless you have some familiarity with the show or at least some affection for the characters.

Going back over half a century, Singin' in the Rain is one of my all-time favorite movie musicals. It's charming and not terribly dated like a lot of older musicals. Much more recently, I loved Chicago.

I absolutely love the stage shows of Les Miserables and Rent, but the movie adaptations of both left a lot to be desired. I'd still say they are worth seeing due to some great songs and performances, but the original cast recordings are probably better overall.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looking for a movie about dysfunctional families along the lines of American Beauty, Short Cuts, The Ice Storm, Happiness.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

caiman posted:

Looking for a movie about dysfunctional families along the lines of American Beauty, Short Cuts, The Ice Storm, Happiness.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Irreconcilable Differences (but don't watch this)

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

bowser posted:

A musical that I only recently rediscovers thanks to Paul Williams appearance on the new Daft Punk album is Brian De Palma's "Phantom of the Paradise". It's a sardonic satire of the music/entertainment industry peppered with catchy pop/rock tunes penned by Paul Williams. It's filled with paradies, corruptions and nods to a number of bands/genres including but not limited The Beach Boys, The Carpenters, and any glam rock band you've ever heard. Not every song is a hit, but the majority of them are very catchy and are the kind you don't mind having stuck in your head.

The film is very bizarre, but a drat lot of fun. If a film that has it's core built around The Phantom of the Opera and begins with a intro by Rod Serling that segues into a 50's greaser themed band sing a song about killing yourself to sell records sounds interesting then I would highly recommend it.

"Carburetors man, that's what life is all about!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bowser posted:

Check out The Rocky Horror Picture Show and How To Succeed In Business (Without Even Trying).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

caiman posted:

Squid and the Whale, Hesher.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Skwirl posted:

Squid and the Whale, Hesher.

Seen Squid, I'll check out Hesher.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm looking for some movies about neurotic people, I feel like you rarely see that anymore. Stuff along the lines of When Harry Met Sally, I guess. I haven't watched any Woody Allen stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm looking for some movies about neurotic people, I feel like you rarely see that anymore. Stuff along the lines of When Harry Met Sally, I guess. I haven't watched any Woody Allen stuff.

Woody Allen stuff.
Annie Hall and Manhattan are mandatory, other good choices are Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Adaptation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Coffee And Pie posted:

You might like Alexander Payne's movies: Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, and The Descendants. That's probably the best viewing order, too.

And yes, watch Woody Allen. Sleeper and Manhattan Murder Mystery are also good ones that RegularGonzalez didn't mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Unavoidable spoilers ahead, I'll do my best to tag them.

Any recommendations for movies where the protagonist ends up being the bad guy? I guess this can take two forms, where we realize this early on but the character doesn't (90s Michael Douglas movie Falling Down), or where we don't realize it until near the end (late 90s Brad Pitt movie Fight Club, mid-2000s John Cusack movie Identity, though those are both kind of cop outs w/r/t this theme). Looking for movies where the protagonist's actions make perfect sense to him and ideally to the audience as well, until in retrospect they don't.

• Locked thread