Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lord Tywin posted:

Why do you hate Camels so much?

I don't hate camels, they're just kinda dumb! Between those posts I discovered that the Parthians really did use camels as shock cavalry, so colour me embarrassed! Still, the camel charge is one of the goofiest things in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't hate camels, they're just kinda dumb! Between those posts I discovered that the Parthians really did use camels as shock cavalry, so colour me embarrassed! Still, the camel charge is one of the goofiest things in the game.

The romans even used camel cavalry. Their smell would unnerve the enemy horses and they would try to run.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is it going to take for one of the CA devs to just flip out on TWCenter? They've got to be so tempted.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is hilarious, considering the real egyptian armies were probably one of the most unique factions that existed (at the time).

Do you know any good books or websites for this? Since I would be really interested in reading more about it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is it going to take for one of the CA devs to just flip out on TWCenter? They've got to be so tempted.
I think it's only a matter of time before Jack Lusted gets real drunk and tells that idiot Prometheus how stupid he is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As for internal factions for Egypt, I am betting there is going to be "native" Ptolomies who back the rights of the Egyptians to a certain extent and "greek" Ptolomies who will be backing the upper class and trying to ensure that the natives remain stamped down.

Not sure what the third one will be mind.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Implementing "hero" units like in Shogun 2 should do the trick. Some super-Spartans wearing red capes and leather underwear in the vein of 300 would probably cause an utter meltdown of the forums.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Perestroika posted:

Implementing "hero" units like in Shogun 2 should do the trick. Some super-Spartans wearing red capes and leather underwear in the vein of 300 would probably cause an utter meltdown of the forums.

Make them paid DLC. Burn it all down.:unsmigghh:

To be more serious, camels are interesting so it is cool they're included. It is difficult to call where the line between cinematic and historical should be drawn. EB for instance still had plenty of cool units in spite of the historical accuracy but at the same time you need to appeal to pop history to draw customers in.

Sure it is cool to learn that by the time of Rome's ascendency Egypt was Hellenised but its also cool to play with units based on what you've seen in museums and films.

Plus it means I can hope for Brendan Fraser DLC.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, how did I just learn about Rome II coming out in September? I'm a huge TW fan, and Shogun II brought the series to new heights. I'm loving jazzed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SeanBeansShako posted:

318th Volunteer Ewok Brigade Warrick Grenadiers.

501st Provisional Stormtrooper Dragoons
4077th Jedi Mounted Auxiliary

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

I think it's only a matter of time before Jack Lusted gets real drunk and tells that idiot Prometheus how stupid he is.

I wouldn't blame him, I'm convinced at this point all of Prometheus' posts are just trolls.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My favorite historic unit was Elephant Artillery.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

There was a code you could type in the console to give yourself Elephant-mounted rocket launchers.

:getin:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Where did you read this? I'm really anal about middle eastern history, because i know camels weren't used for charging, but mobility and archery. Also the cone hat and battle axe is Sassanian, but then again more unique Iranian armor styles is always welcome i guess.

I'm a little torn with their current iteration of the eastern cultures, but style still trumps historical accuracy sometimes.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
To be fair though guys, I'm gonna be upset if this doesn't support the capability of making any EB-type mods, and I know a lot of you will too. :(

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Imapanda posted:

To be fair though guys, I'm gonna be upset if this doesn't support the capability of making any EB-type mods, and I know a lot of you will too. :(

Yeah...I love my historical accuracy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah...I love my historical accuracy.

Yeah and their units looked much better than the ones in the vanilla game. It would be interesting to see what they could do with this.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Imapanda posted:

They have talked quite a lot about mods and they will hold another modding summit in August, so it seems that they're making an effort to make the game modable.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Imapanda posted:

Definitely. The comprises needed for units for a commercial release are understandable but I still really want very historically accurate stuff too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

That reminds me that someone (not a dev) posted a beautiful rant on the official forums the other day. Let me find it...Ah, here we go.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/69955-Unbridled-Optimism?s=d7d6eac53521d4a3fa1d7e8ff769a334

On the subject of camels, I still miss my OP camel gunners from Med 2. The Moors were so awesome in that game, right down to the fact that I'd always get attacked (personally) by the Pope within the first dozen turns.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm currently going through a Civil War phase and I saw the ACW: Brothers vs Brothers mod for ETW. I just started my first campaign, but I was wondering if anyone else had played it at all? It seems pretty interesting and well made.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

My favorite historic unit was Elephant Artillery.

I am fighting off the Timurids as Denmark in a M2TW game right now and I just loving hate elephant artillery so much. I cheat against them, I admit it. I cheat against them because those drat elephants are cheating.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Give me EB2 for this game and I will never leave my loving house.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How lovely. Was playing as Great Britain (in N:TW) and I decided to attack the University, South-West of Paris. I'd been harassing Paris for a good ten turns or so, we'd both been exchanging blows, as I had Brittany and Normandy under my rule, and France would not cease attempting to reclaim the lands. I'd repel each full-stack army time and again (lovely Total War AI to be thankful for that, Paris churning out full-stack armies every turn) and barely get my men replenished before the next full stack of dirty Frenchmen invaded my borders. I'd previously had two full armies defending Normandy and Brittany, but I'd decided to send one off to Spain, as I felt that conquest would be more lucrative, less challenging, and allow me to take the Moroccan port for easy repairs of my ships in that part of the ocean. So I only had my one army remaining in the region, as opposed to two.

Anyway, my full-stack army (led by my 5 star General) that had raided the University was attacked by a full-stack French army (with a 1-star General, how terrifying). I got in battle and after about 30 minutes or so, I was on the winning foot. Only their General unit (Heavy Horse) and an Elite Young Infantry unit remained. They were stubborn bastards, and caused a lot of my bloodied, exhausted men to flee. Left with two units of Line Infantry (my General had been wounded and had fled the battle), I then honed in on their remaining General (after an extended onslaught with the Elite Young Infantry unit). Right as I'm about to open fire on the General unit and - if I can be so bold - win the battle, my PC detects a power surge and the motherboard shuts down to prevent damage. I had both Line Infantry units at 80/160 men, against the General's 15.

I'm honestly at a loss right now. A very arduous 30 minutes later, and I've got nothing to show for it. The thought of replaying that battle is nauseating. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to open the game up again, as I feel a power surge can come in any time and sap the fun away. How frustrating. This battle would have left Paris wide open for looting, I'm gutted my PC decided to be an rear end in a top hat. When the PC turned off right as I clicked the enemy unit, I can't even begin to describe what I felt. It's the worst, honestly.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Give me EB2 for this game and I will never leave my loving house.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Rome II - EB in the year 2020+.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Loopoo posted:

How lovely. Was playing as Great Britain (in N:TW) and I decided to attack the University, South-West of Paris. I'd been harassing Paris for a good ten turns or so, we'd both been exchanging blows, as I had Brittany and Normandy under my rule, and France would not cease attempting to reclaim the lands. I'd repel each full-stack army time and again (lovely Total War AI to be thankful for that, Paris churning out full-stack armies every turn) and barely get my men replenished before the next full stack of dirty Frenchmen invaded my borders. I'd previously had two full armies defending Normandy and Brittany, but I'd decided to send one off to Spain, as I felt that conquest would be more lucrative, less challenging, and allow me to take the Moroccan port for easy repairs of my ships in that part of the ocean. So I only had my one army remaining in the region, as opposed to two.

Anyway, my full-stack army (led by my 5 star General) that had raided the University was attacked by a full-stack French army (with a 1-star General, how terrifying). I got in battle and after about 30 minutes or so, I was on the winning foot. Only their General unit (Heavy Horse) and an Elite Young Infantry unit remained. They were stubborn bastards, and caused a lot of my bloodied, exhausted men to flee. Left with two units of Line Infantry (my General had been wounded and had fled the battle), I then honed in on their remaining General (after an extended onslaught with the Elite Young Infantry unit). Right as I'm about to open fire on the General unit and - if I can be so bold - win the battle, my PC detects a power surge and the motherboard shuts down to prevent damage. I had both Line Infantry units at 80/160 men, against the General's 15.

I'm honestly at a loss right now. A very arduous 30 minutes later, and I've got nothing to show for it. The thought of replaying that battle is nauseating. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to open the game up again, as I feel a power surge can come in any time and sap the fun away. How frustrating. This battle would have left Paris wide open for looting, I'm gutted my PC decided to be an rear end in a top hat. When the PC turned off right as I clicked the enemy unit, I can't even begin to describe what I felt. It's the worst, honestly.

This happened to me in the climactic battle of my Shimazu Legendary campaign. All three of my armies vs. 6 enemy stacks, something like 25,000 men involved. My forces took the central hill in the center of the map and fought off all comers in a brutal slugfest without any pretense of strategy. It was like a big, vicious game of King of the Hill. Between the massive amount of forces involved and the massive lag, it took nearly an hour. The hill was so littered with dead bodies you couldn't even see the grass.

Right after I won and was loading the results screen, a lighting strike knocked my whole neighborhood out. I was crushed.

Wasn't going to abandon my Legendary campaign though, so I soldiered on the next day and did it again. Even got a better result, which was nice.

Anyway, I definitely feel you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think every avid total war player has had that happen to them at least once, I know it's happened to me :(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think every avid total war player has had that happen to them at least once, I know it's happened to me :(

Yep, same here in Napoleon as Portugal. A big old sea battle against the Spanish, both of our main fleets smashing together. I had five ships of the line with ~70 guns each, they had two with ~120 guns, two with ~60 and a few assorted frigates. What followed was a harrowing dance where I pulled every trick in the book: whittling down their sails, maneuvering to cut off their wind, twisting and turning to always have the maximum number of guns to bear. After about 30 minutes of that it was finally done, with three of my ships having surrendered but all of theirs as well. I get the "heroic victory" screen and the game promptly freezes on me.
The next time around I just retreated my fleet, spent a few turns building it up to twice the original size and then just automatched the spanish navy to dust.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Loopoo posted:

I've found that if you wait a day or two and then get really stoned before replaying the battle, it doesn't bother you nearly as much. If you have enough pot, you can even skip the waiting part.

Technically, I guess you could apply this advice to most annoying things in life, but it seems to work particularly well for Total War.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I was playing Fall as Shimazu and got attacked by two armies belonging to the red guys on the island (can't remember their name). This was with Radious mod, so increased unit sizes and hard-to-break units. I crushed those armies, I mean I utterly smashed them. At least one would be destroyed and the other would have a few shattered remnants. I on the other hand took so few losses that a turn or two would see them replenished. It was one of the best victories I'd ever won.

The game crashed when loading back to the campaign screen :negative: I replayed the battle a few days later and while I still won, my casualties were a lot higher and the army had to hunker down for a while to become effective again :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You guys do know you can fast forward time in battles right? so you can skip the boring waiting or approaching parts?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've been playing N:TW for a couple of days now and have to say it's my favorite TW game by far in terms of the campaign, and battles are a lot of fun too (although the battle maps kind of suck compared to Rome and Medieval). The more focused Italy/Egypt/Peninsular campaigns are a really great idea and very well done.

SeanBeansShako posted:

You guys do know you can fast forward time in battles right? so you can skip the boring waiting or approaching parts?

A long approach is the time to smoke a bowl though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had a bad crash a couple days ago. I was attacked by an amphibious 3/4 stack of English troops in the Peninsula campaign in N:TW. My poor city had one line infantry and two militia units to defend it, along with a half dozen of the crappy 'armed citizenry'. This was against a 3 star general, 2 dragoons, 2 8-lber foot artillery, and about 10 line infantry units.

I dug in at at the crest of the hill and held my other units in reserve just behind it (out of the way of artillery). The cover from the trenches was really helpful, and I stayed alive for ages. I ended up completing the battle with 1 militia and 2 armed citizenry (who I think were totally out of ammunition) manuevering out on either side to capture the cannons.

Then of course the game crashes and I have to do it again.

It was pretty fun, because I felt like it was my own cleverness rather then the AI's stupidness that won the day. That said, if I was on the other side of that battle I'd have forgotten about the artillery and cav altogether and done a bayonet charge with the 10 line infantry units. You lose only a few dudes in a line infantry unit in a charge against a mob unit before they rout.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I so badly want to play again, I sent a contingent of men to Spain to hopefully conquer the Spaniards. I'm itching to play but my computer always mysteriously gets power surges only whilst playing N:TW? I'm thinking it might be my PSU or the graphical demands of N:TW are putting too much strain on my PC. It's frustrating.

If it wasn't for the non-stop power surges I get whilst playing N:TW, I'd be in-game right now, dominating.

France requested a Peace treaty and gave me 900 gold (a pittance), and during that same end-turn round, I got offers from Russia and a bunch of other nations to declare war on France, in return for technologies. Best round ever. The peace treaty made France back away from my borders, they sent a majority of their raiding and harassing armies to their Eastern front. Now that the peace treaty is over, it's left Paris in an easy and direct path to be looted with minimal resistance. I might even take Paris and keep it, but I feel it would warrant too much hassle and trouble (keeping the public order down, batting away the incessant waves of enemy frogs, spreading my European continental defending army too thin), so I'll just loot and delete all the buildings, demolish the university, leave it a decimated ruin of a city.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do about these power surges, though? I have a GTX560 TI, all my stuff exceeds the recommended specs. My PC runs fine all the time, but whenever I play N:TW or Anno 2070 or other graphic-intense games, I get these coincidental power surges.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'll be your PSU giving out. Shogun 2 did my last one in when I did some battles.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'll be your PSU giving out. Shogun 2 did my last one in when I did some battles.

Thought as much. So the way forward is to scrap this PSU and get a more powerful one? Can't even remember what PSU I got.

Would be beautiful to be able to play N:TW without the fear of power surging.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Where did you read this? I'm really anal about middle eastern history, because i know camels weren't used for charging, but mobility and archery. Also the cone hat and battle axe is Sassanian, but then again more unique Iranian armor styles is always welcome i guess.

I'm a little torn with their current iteration of the eastern cultures, but style still trumps historical accuracy sometimes.

From an account by Herodian on the battle of Nisibis. He seems to be the only source I can find that actually describes the camels charging, but I can accept a questionable source for a TW game. It's better than the head-throwers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been trying to play E:TW but it won't load for some reason. I made sure all files relating to E:TW were gone (including previous saves and settings under 'My Documents') and did a completely clean install from Steam.
Whenever I try to laucn the game, Steam does its "launching" thing, the splash creen comes up, then nothing. I don't even get the black screen before the game loads.
I completely uninstalled everything again and reinstalled using the discs. After letting steam run all the updates, I still end up with the same result.
Running as an admin and/or in compatibility mode does nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to how to launch this game.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been trying to play E:TW but it won't load for some reason. I made sure all files relating to E:TW were gone (including previous saves and settings under 'My Documents') and did a completely clean install from Steam.
Whenever I try to laucn the game, Steam does its "launching" thing, the splash creen comes up, then nothing. I don't even get the black screen before the game loads.
I completely uninstalled everything again and reinstalled using the discs. After letting steam run all the updates, I still end up with the same result.
Running as an admin and/or in compatibility mode does nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to how to launch this game.

Have you used Verify Cache on steam? If you haven't, try that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I verified the cache after it failed to run each time after both installs. It never came back with any problems. I even turned it off and back on again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Peruser posted:

Have you used Verify Cache on steam? If you haven't, try that.

I swear, "verify your cache" is like the gaming equivalent of "power cycle your router" nowadays. You cannot ask any question about a technical problem with a game without someone immediately throwing that at you.