Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just curious: what does the dog park fence look like? One episode it's a chain link fence, another it's an opaque, smooth, very tall black wall the Mayor skittered up like a lizard. [Tumblr seems to think it's made of glory holes]. [Is it?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Wedemeyer posted:

Just curious: what does the dog park fence look like? One episode it's a chain link fence, another it's an opaque, smooth, very tall black wall the Mayor skittered up like a lizard. [Tumblr seems to think it's made of glory holes]. [Is it?]

It started out as a chain link fence, but at some point underwent an expansion (Cecil even asks one of the hooded figures about it), at which time I assume the fence was replaced with the monolithic black stone that surrounds it now.

Also, stop talking about the dog park. Stop thinking about the dog park.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I brought a date to the live show who had never heard of the podcast before, and he just asked me for a link to "that weird podcast we went to a taping of, it was interesting." So, congrats! Even though he had no idea what was going on, he still liked it enough to seek out more.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

End Of Worlds posted:

It started out as a chain link fence, but at some point underwent an expansion (Cecil even asks one of the hooded figures about it), at which time I assume the fence was replaced with the monolithic black stone that surrounds it now.

Also, stop talking about the dog park. Stop thinking about the dog park.

Never stop thinking about the dog park.

In fact, go visit the dog park. Go inside the dog park. This plan can't fail.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Wedemeyer posted:

Tumblr is the source of a lot of awesome art, and I really appreciate it, and also half of them want to gently caress some words I wrote or just watch the words I wrote gently caress each other. It's weird.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

maxnmona posted:

Tumblr is the source of a lot of awesome art, and I really appreciate it, and also half of them want to gently caress some words I wrote or just watch the words I wrote gently caress each other. It's weird.

If you're ever going to get big, I suggest you get used to it. It only gets more copious, and the sooner you can learn to accept that someone is always going to be drawing Cecil blowing Carlos up like a balloon and then loving him the better off you will be.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

maxnmona posted:

It's nothing new really. The whole phenomenon of fans fixating on potential gay romance is a pre-internet thing. There's actually some p. interesting scholarship on how gay men function as sexual surrogates for women in fiction, although most of that has to do with Japanese comics.

Either way, now you know how Gene Roddenberry felt. So you're in good company.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Have they drawn Cecil as a pony yet? Because that's when you'll know you've really made it.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Len posted:

Have they drawn Cecil as a pony yet? Because that's when you'll know you've really made it.

There's a TVTropes page for it, so it's not far off from that...

Or even a furry adaptation. :catstare:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Len posted:

I swear to god I've seen a Night Vale pony drawing but now I can't find it. Which I'm glad about.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

maxnmona posted:

I swear to god I've seen a Night Vale pony drawing but now I can't find it. Which I'm glad about.
I've seen it, and oddly enough it's one of the few pieces of fanart on Tumblr to take into account that Carlos's hair is graying.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
I saw it, but I... I can't seem to remember what it looked like, other than it was wearing a tan jacket.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cracked the top 10!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
This is pretty exciting. I've been rooting for this show since day one and I hope you guys become a top ten fixture and get all the sweet podcasting dollars for the good work you do.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

maxnmona posted:

To be fair, I think more than a couple do just appreciate the normalcy of a dude gushing over another dude without it being a joke at the expense of gay people. :shobon:

BTW what's the disparition track you have at the start of the broadcast? It's become an earbug for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I legit love how Cecil's obsession with Carlos is never even hinted at being a 'ha ha the gays' thing, it's just Cecil being a weirdo because he's Cecil.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

To be fair, I think more than a couple do just appreciate the normalcy of a dude gushing over another dude without it being a joke at the expense of gay people. :shobon:

BTW what's the disparition track you have at the start of the broadcast? It's become an earbug for me.

Oh, that's not what I'm talking about. That's actually very nice.

I'm talking about the ones like the person asking for a fan fiction in which the Dog Park's fence was full of glory holes, or the one who drew a Carlos pony.

Also it's The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I legit love how Cecil's obsession with Carlos is never even hinted at being a 'ha ha the gays' thing, it's just Cecil being a weirdo because he's Cecil.

I love that too, but my impression is that the fact that Cecil is even able to do broadcasts without constantly screaming means he is one of the most level-headed people in Night Vale.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The line about how Cecil had a hamster that died after like...two weeks is one of my favorite deliveries in the entire series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dj_clawson posted:

I love that too, but my impression is that the fact that Cecil is even able to do broadcasts without constantly screaming means he is one of the most level-headed people in Night Vale.

Yea the fact that he seems like one of the 'normal' ones, yet still is loving out of his skull crazy, is what makes it all so great.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I love how this podcast has faceless women, 5-headed dragons, and everything else, but a Carlos-pony is just too :stare:. Tumblr is far worse than anything us mere mortals can conceive.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the fact that he seems like one of the 'normal' ones, yet still is loving out of his skull crazy, is what makes it all so great.

You have to have a lot of cognitive dissidence to live in Night Vale.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leospeare posted:

I love how this podcast has faceless women, 5-headed dragons, and everything else, but a Carlos-pony is just too :stare:. Tumblr is far worse than anything us mere mortals can conceive.

Brony spotted

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Question I just got on twitter:

Is there any way I can download the the weather without downloading the entire podcast?

I mean, I know people aren't used to paying money for music anymore, but do people really not know how to buy things on iTunes or Amazon

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

In conclusion

http://thesem.tumblr.com/post/54959868260/aflightygrim-commissioned-me-to-do-night-vale
http://aflightygrim.tumblr.com/post/54159053025/fact-it-is-not-a-real-fandom-until-there-is-art
http://aflightygrim.tumblr.com/post/54860810795/welcome-to-pony-vale-here-are-cecil-and-sweet

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

I'm so sorry; congrats, you've "made" it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

maxnmona posted:

Question I just got on twitter:

Is there any way I can download the the weather without downloading the entire podcast?

I mean, I know people aren't used to paying money for music anymore, but do people really not know how to buy things on iTunes or Amazon

I was going to link a tumblr post that lead to amazon/itunes/musician websites that had been in the weather part of the podcast. So I went into the tags. Dear lord SJWs are angry that people are saying Cecil's mentally ill. But I swear it was there. No wait here it is. But it also has a link to pirated music. Welp.

I think my favorite character is The Black Dauphin, mentioned only once in the 'the traveler' episode. Is the black dauphin a character in Zack Parson's book or a night vale creation? Second favorite would be the black Angel, Ericka. I want that lightbulb.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
http://welcometonightvalestuck.tumblr.com/

Congratulations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

:sbahj: At least Night Vale is successful, I guess.

Two of every Night Vale episode has appeared in my feed for some reason. Has this happened to anyone else?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

:sbahj: At least Night Vale is successful, I guess.

Two of every Night Vale episode has appeared in my feed for some reason. Has this happened to anyone else?

We recently moved all the episodes off of Jeffrey's personal hosting to libsyn, because his hosting was getting overwhelmed by the traffic. So maybe that is causing it? I dunno, Jeffrey's in charge of all the technical stuff.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Also, you might remember we were very excited about getting 150,000 downloads our first year. We've gotten 100,000 downloads in just the last six days. Yesterday we had 20,000.

If these numbers hold steady, we'll be looking at getting a million downloads by the end of the summer.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Good job guys, you made a digital magical ambiguous sandstorm.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maxnmona posted:

Also, you might remember we were very excited about getting 150,000 downloads our first year. We've gotten 100,000 downloads in just the last six days. Yesterday we had 20,000.

If these numbers hold steady, we'll be looking at getting a million downloads by the end of the summer.

Is it just that the tumblr set has latched on that's causing this latest blow up?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is it just that the tumblr set has latched on that's causing this latest blow up?

As far as we can tell, yes. Although it's a self-perpetuating thing, because them latching on put us in the top 10 in Comedy and, for awhile, all podcasts on iTunes, and that presumably led to other non-tumblr people trying us out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maxnmona posted:

, for awhile, all podcasts on iTunes,

You're still there at #10 according to my iTunes.

Or back up there. Either way.

Top 10.

Kinda excited to see where you end up in a week when a new episode hits with all this momentum.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the name of the track that plays in episode 1 during the lights-over-Arby's bit? I think that might be my favorite piece from the entirety of the show's run so far, and I'm not sure why.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Wow had no idea tumblr had that kind of pull. Well this is super cool as I'm a big fan of the show and the more people out there checking it out the better.

Are there any plans to put up the live shows on youtube or will there be for future ones?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

What's the name of the track that plays in episode 1 during the lights-over-Arby's bit? I think that might be my favorite piece from the entirety of the show's run so far, and I'm not sure why.

https://soundcloud.com/disparition/hvar

Live shows:
The big live episode in the fall will probably be videoed somehow. I don't know yet whether it will be a simple video for youtube or a more professionally done/edited video we'd be looking to sell for a buck or so though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm gonna be selfish and ask if this surge in popularity means we can hope for a wide array of activity and all? Not like 'hey add more shows' wide but maybe more people being able to be involved to play different roles and all? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm gonna be selfish and ask if this surge in popularity means we can hope for a wide array of activity and all? Not like 'hey add more shows' wide but maybe more people being able to be involved to play different roles and all? :allears:

We already have a second guest star set for the September 1st episode. And there are plans for other voices as well, although not that many plans right now. And the live episode should hopefully have at least a couple cool guests.

We'll see if this surge in popularity also means an increase in income, because obviously the more money we have to work with, the more complex we can afford to make the show.