Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

XboxPants posted:

I'm interested in it just so I'm not pirating the games. I still wouldn't be giving money to the original rights holders, but it's a fair bit better than torrenting roms.

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? It's obviously not morally wrong in any way, and if you really believed it was your money would be better spent sending a few bucks to the game publishers every time you downloaded a rom. If your worry lies in breaking a law that would never be enforced and has literally no victims (when compared to buying used games) well then good for you I guess. I certainly hope you never exceed the speed limit by so much as a single mile per hour, never cross the street anywhere other than the crosswalk no matter where you are, have never made a photocopy of anything or a recording of anything with a VCR, PVR, anything...because then, of course, you'd be a loving hypocrite, and we wouldn't want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Make everybody else in the thread submit a toxx clause in the form of "If juicecube sends me his OUYA, I will use it to <do something>" and mail it to a goon of your choice, depending on how awesome his idea is. Or just fill its wi-fi-incompatible little body cavity with thermite and film it melting away at every seam.

Do the thing where some goon toxxed to take a poo poo on a Dreamcast then got shy and faked it, except for real, and with an ouya.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

XboxPants posted:

I'm interested in it just so I'm not pirating the games. I still wouldn't be giving money to the original rights holders, but it's a fair bit better than torrenting roms.
Why don't you just only download ROMS for games you already own a physical copy of?

Orange Harrison posted:

Do the thing where some goon toxxed to take a poo poo on a Dreamcast then got shy and faked it, except for real, and with an ouya.
poo poo an OUYA on a Dreamcast?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

XboxPants posted:

That makes zero damned sense, man. If the devs/rightsholders are not getting money from you, then they don't give a poo poo, whether it's a cartridge or a ROM.

The fact that you spent money on a cart doesn't matter to them, because the money isn't going to them. All it does is make you feel better, because you assigned a non-zero value to an object, and paid for it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? It's obviously not morally wrong in any way

I'd buy that argument if the rights holders weren't still selling these games, but in many cases they are, and if they're not that doesn't mean they wouldn't like to. We could go into debates about IP morality, economics, etc, but regardless of any of that:

Bionic posted:

Why don't you just only download ROMS for games you already own a physical copy of?

...is a very good argument, and it's actually something I've done before. (had to do that for Xenoblade on Wii once I realized Wii discs are loving asinine and unreadable in most drives) You're right, there's no practical reason for me to buy a cart-->USB adapter instead of just doing your suggestion. Glad you brought that up.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Goons are so terrible. Yes, there is a difference between buying a legaly obtained video game cart and just illegally downloading a rom.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

XboxPants posted:

I'd buy that argument if the rights holders weren't still selling these games, but in many cases they are, and if they're not that doesn't mean they wouldn't like to. We could go into debates about IP morality, economics, etc, but regardless of any of that:

...is a very good argument, and it's actually something I've done before. (had to do that for Xenoblade on Wii once I realized Wii discs are loving asinine and unreadable in most drives) You're right, there's no practical reason for me to buy a cart-->USB adapter instead of just doing your suggestion. Glad you brought that up.

Except that's not actually how the law works.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

theflyingorc posted:

At the risk of being a broken record, this is why I hate everything the OUYA represents.

Right now, there are MORE WAYS to play MORE INTERESTING GAMES than EVER BEFORE. Ever. Big budget games are more interesting. Indies are flourishing.* And, due to various download services, many of those old games (or even games only 3-4 years old) are available for incredibly cheap prices. There has literally no reason to be bored of video games right now.

If ennui over video games is overwhelming you, you are first a very pathetic person, second a very stupid person, and third: You are not going to be satisfied by the games that come out on OUYA.

* of note: This is the worst period in a long time, and maybe ever, for medium-budgeted games. Consumers simply don't buy them, and it is an industry problem. This has, of course, nothing to do with the OUYA whatsoever

Part of it is the inability to recognize what was bad about the games he loved so much from older systems. He really thinks the games of his youth were perfect and good and is unable to objectively evaluate them compared to modern games, and probably takes a lot of the things that were badly designed about them as features instead of limitations of the medium at the time or just straight up poor balancing.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Mr. Beefhead posted:

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? It's obviously not morally wrong in any way, and if you really believed it was your money would be better spent sending a few bucks to the game publishers every time you downloaded a rom. If your worry lies in breaking a law that would never be enforced and has literally no victims (when compared to buying used games) well then good for you I guess. I certainly hope you never exceed the speed limit by so much as a single mile per hour, never cross the street anywhere other than the crosswalk no matter where you are, have never made a photocopy of anything or a recording of anything with a VCR, PVR, anything...because then, of course, you'd be a loving hypocrite, and we wouldn't want that.

This is fairly accurate. But then again people were jumping all over Ouya for advertising that "illegal emulators" work on it. So it's more or less a damned if you do and damned if you don't sort of situation.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

illiniguy01 posted:

Yeah, you're right, and I agree with you that it's not really "okay" to download a rom just because you own an actual cart, but it's close enough to my sense of what's tolerable that I can mostly agree with it... especially if that means I can avoid stirring up an argument with goons about whether it's okay to download roms or not.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, you're right, and I agree with you that it's not really "okay" to download a rom just because you own an actual cart, but it's close enough to my sense of what's tolerable that I can mostly agree with it... especially if that means I can avoid stirring up an argument with goons about whether it's okay to download roms or not.

Dude, I think it's safe to say at this point no post you make in all of Games will avoid stirring up an argument with Goons. You are Ouya personified in these parts :)

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

theflyingorc posted:

This is the worst period in a long time, and maybe ever, for medium-budgeted games. Consumers simply don't buy them, and it is an industry problem. This has, of course, nothing to do with the OUYA whatsoever.

This is one of the more interesting points discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with Ouya as noted, but it's probably worth talking about. AAA titles can afford to be formulaic because they will execute those formulas with the best art assets, the best voice acting (usually poor, but at least its there), and huge teams of talented programmers. They can also afford big launches with plenty of advertisements.

Low budget games that are successful do so by either not being formulaic or by executing a formula that is very inexpensive to execute and is ignored by AAA titles. Games like Pixel Dungeon, Minecraft, the original Angry Birds, and Castle Crashers fill this role. They don't require AAA sales to be profitable, and if they come even close then they are goldmines.

Mid-budget often feel more like AAA wannabes. They try to compete in a space that is primarily determined by who can push the most polygons and hire the best artists and writers. Then they... don't.

I personally enjoy things like Braid and Penny Arcade: OTRPD 3 more than I do AAA titles so they are more meaningful to me. That doesn't mean I don't love a Skyrim or the like every now and then.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I got a chance to try out an OUYA Limited Edition. I can confirm that in any indoor lighting environment, its color scheme looks like poo poo.

Its owners had not turned it on for two weeks. According to them, the games on it were lackluster and they had tried and failed to play emulated SNES games on it together, on account of the controllers being bad (in particular, they said the D-pad was bad. I tried it, and the D-pad felt spongy, had sharp edges, and barely responded.) When I turned the OUYA on, it ran through an update process, during which all the dialogue boxes expounded on how great the OUYA is. The wi-fi on it did seem to work, at least. Granted, the OUYA was set up a few feet away from the router.

In an effort to make the OUYA more usable, I connected an XBox 360 controller to it and ran Towerfall. Towerfall is a good game, and I hope it gets ported to other platforms. I didn't try any of the other OUYA games, because I was on a mission to at least make it viable for running emulated games on. As it turns out, it can decently emulate SNES games assuming that you connect a USB hub to its single USB port and plug in a USB drive with ROMs on it alongside one or more (non-OUYA) controllers, but the emulator I used had a poo poo UI and its default controller mappings were lovely as well. Ominously, its audio buffer was defaulted to 10 frames, meaning that there was severe sound lag until I changed the buffer size.

I strongly suspect that the emulator had a huge default audio buffer to cover up performance issues when emulating SNES games on the OUYA. Regrettably, I didn't get a chance to stress-test the OUYA; it would have been hilarious if the OUYA had burst into flame during Armored Armadillo's stage in Mega Man X. All in all, the OUYA is a bad console.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 6, 2013

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

ohnoitschris posted:

And I doubt there'd be that many people with an Ouya on their retro shelf. Back in the early-mid 2000s there existed a system called the Tapwave Zodiac, which was the same concept as Ouya: a system that ran Palm OS but was designed around playing games. Problem was, very few games were developed for it and the thing had the same Ouya subtext of "You can play ROMs on it!"

I bought one of these for 40$? new when Palm was on the way out because I collect weird handhelds. It's a huge piece of poo poo and holds battery for something like 6 hours in standby mode, 2ish while in use.

The most remarkable thing about it is that the power connector is the same flat type that palmpilots used to have yet it doesn't have a cradle, it just has a cable with a little oval thing with contacts on the end. A stiff breeze will blow the two apart so if you actually want to do anything on it you basically have to wedge it somewhere where nothing will bump it for the 4? hour charge time.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Not only did I own a Zodiac, but I developed for it. Months working in terrible CodeWarrior and having to deal with Palm's terrible OS. And the hardware wasn't that good -- although the API to it was tolerable.

The one saving grace of it was that it had two SD slots, one of which was SDIO compatible. So, you could stick a WiFi card in there and have a pocket-sized web browser, which was nice for the time. However, it was no surprise that it died.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

ullerrm posted:

3) Carts with extra hardware that's really spottily emulated. Older systems, especially, had carts with supplemental hardware that just plugged directly into the bus:
* NES had a lot of mappers with extra functionality -- the worst of it being MMC5, which added extra sound channels, or the VRC6 which added an IRQ/scanline counter. Some Japanese carts even had a full Yamaha YM2149 on the board for full FM synthesis music, like Gimmick.

This is just a minor, minor nitpick and me being the spergiest lady in history probably, but the YM2149 isn't an FM chip, it's a 3-channel PSG, usually used as the SSG/PSG for FM chips like the YM2203 (OPN) or 2612 (OPN2).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Not only did I own a Zodiac, but I developed for it. Months working in terrible CodeWarrior and having to deal with Palm's terrible OS. And the hardware wasn't that good -- although the API to it was tolerable.

The one saving grace of it was that it had two SD slots, one of which was SDIO compatible. So, you could stick a WiFi card in there and have a pocket-sized web browser, which was nice for the time. However, it was no surprise that it died.

PalmOS may have sucked, but webOS was better than Android and iOS and I won't have anyone argue otherwise. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
PalmOS was great. It's just it stuck around too long.

JeebusMcChrist
Nov 22, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

PalmOS may have sucked, but webOS was better than Android and iOS and I won't have anyone argue otherwise. :colbert:

I'm not sure there is a single person in the universe that seriously thinks webOS was good. As a Pre owner, it was a constant sadness in my life.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

This is just a minor, minor nitpick and me being the spergiest lady in history probably, but the YM2149 isn't an FM chip, it's a 3-channel PSG, usually used as the SSG/PSG for FM chips like the YM2203 (OPN) or 2612 (OPN2).
Perfectly fair cop :) It is indeed a PSG.

That said, one Famicom game ("Lagrange Point") used the YM2413, which was an actual FM chip -- a feature-reduced version of the OPL2.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

JeebusMcChrist posted:

I'm not sure there is a single person in the universe that seriously thinks webOS was good. As a Pre owner, it was a constant sadness in my life.

The app library sucked due to low adoption, but the OS itself was rock loving solid and tweakable to hell and back. I was running my Pixi with on demand variable rate overclocking on the CPU.

EDIT: Also, I'm switching to Verizon tomorrow and the phone I'm getting free with my contract scores about twice the OUYA on Futurmark. :v:

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012
Serious inquiry to anyone that purchased an OUYA:

Why didn't you just install ROMS and use a gamepad?

From everything I've heard about the OUYA, it just seems totally not worth it.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

illiniguy01 posted:

Goons are so terrible. Yes, there is a difference between buying a legaly obtained video game cart and just illegally downloading a rom.

illiniguy01 posted:

Please refer to the first post on this page for more information on why statements like that make you a hypocritical douchebag.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Please refer to the first post on this page for more information on why statements like that make you a hypocritical douchebag.

You're an idiot who doesn't have any idea what hypocrisy actually is. Sorry, but this kind of BS is a pet peeve of mine.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Settle down kids!

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

XboxPants posted:

You're an idiot who doesn't have any idea what hypocrisy actually is. Sorry, but this kind of BS is a pet peeve of mine.

quote:

hypocrisy
hy·poc·ri·sy
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

You claim to be against something because it is against the law, despite the fact that it is an unenforced law that harms no one. You almost certainly proceed (much like nearly every other active and healthy human in America)to break other unenforced and harmless laws on a daily basis. How does this not perfectly fit the definition?

Louisgod posted:

Settle down kids!
Oh poo poo. ok, ok, sorry.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
What's up with UhrmanPants' weird passive-aggressive posting style? First he (?) writes a long winded claim of some kind, then someone pokes a hole in it with its most obvious flaw and he deflects with "yeah you're right, thanks for bringing that up," then he moves on to the next point and it repeats. I'm not sure if he just generates his viewpoint on the fly and doesn't think about them or if he's trying to be agreeable (and failing in a really stilted and awkward way) because he knows he's universally disliked.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You missed the part where occasionally he kicks into aggressive-aggressive mode and tears into someone. It's been happening a lot more recently; I'd speculate that it has something to do with his beloved system turning out to be a dud.

Thanks for the emu info Pittsburgh Lambic, good on you for taking one for the team and actually trying to get something working on the ouya. What game did you manage to get running?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Packstand posted:

Serious inquiry to anyone that purchased an OUYA:

Why didn't you just install ROMS and use a gamepad?

From everything I've heard about the OUYA, it just seems totally not worth it.

I believe the reasoning was running a cable from your PC/tablet/smartphone was too much work, and the only solution was a 100$ brick.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

You missed the part where occasionally he kicks into aggressive-aggressive mode and tears into someone. It's been happening a lot more recently; I'd speculate that it has something to do with his beloved system turning out to be a dud.

What if pants got into an accident like this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

That would explain the ouya purchase.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TopherCStone posted:

What's up with UhrmanPants' weird passive-aggressive posting style? First he (?) writes a long winded claim of some kind, then someone pokes a hole in it with its most obvious flaw and he deflects with "yeah you're right, thanks for bringing that up," then he moves on to the next point and it repeats. I'm not sure if he just generates his viewpoint on the fly and doesn't think about them or if he's trying to be agreeable (and failing in a really stilted and awkward way) because he knows he's universally disliked.

Three threads of this has taught me He's really bad at expressing himself in writing. Whether this is caused by stupidity or other issues is unknown.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Three threads of this has taught me He's really bad at expressing himself in writing. Whether this is caused by stupidity or other issues is unknown.

Which is super ironic since he's getting paid to write about the OUYA, making him one of the only people who has made money off of the console.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which is super ironic since he's getting paid to write about the OUYA, making him one of the only people who has made money off of the console.

I dunno, I imagine Julie would have been paying herself a handsome Kickstarter salary as CEO.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Thanks for the emu info Pittsburgh Lambic, good on you for taking one for the team and actually trying to get something working on the ouya. What game did you manage to get running?

Mega Man X and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past both seemed to work fine in the OUYA port of SNES9x -- save for the audio buffer issue I talked about earlier. The default setting had the audio buffer set bizarrely high, to the point that there was almost a half-second delay between seeing a character fire his weapon and hearing the shot. It sounded better after I changed the buffer from 10 frames to 5.

Had I had more time to mess around with the OUYA, I would have checked whether the emulator performs okay in more processor-intensive areas of an SNES game, such as Armored Armadillo's stage. I have a suspicion that the audio buffer was set really high to keep the audio from getting crackly and awful when the OUYA's hardware is pushed to its limit. It's been my experience that when emulating games on the PC, audio buffers are a good way to keep sound from tearing up when the emulator is having trouble maintaining a steady framerate.

That said, it'd be really, really sad if SNES emulation is all it takes to make the OUYA have a seizure. Wish I had had a chance to test that.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 6, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rudager posted:

I dunno, I imagine Julie would have been paying herself a handsome Kickstarter salary as CEO.

God I hope she's using the missing ones to mine bitcoins. That would achieve peak comedy

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TopherCStone posted:

Naw, we like him, he's fun, keeps this thread from just being a depressing circle of people slowly nodding and agreeing the OUYA is terrible.

He's like a wild animal with a muzzle, you all can take your OUYA aggression out on him, without actually having to get near a real OUYA fan.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc
Following the launch of the ouya has been a fun distraction, and I'm sort of sad now that it's probably going to wind down. Watching the communications from OUYA HQ is pretty amusing; you never know whether it's going to be some PR spin like the conveniently-news-generating apology to kickstarter backers right before the retail launch, or some amateurish stuff like those shipping graphs. Reading the launch news and reviews is something else. Typical reviews of this thing are basically lists of promises and things that don't work right, or things that work better on other hardware. Then the usual conclusion is something along the lines of "It will get a lot better, so it's a good deal / good investment." And, apparently, everyone can agree that the best part of buying a box of electrical problems and marketing is paying only $99 for it. I suppose for this many problems, people were expecting to have to pay at least $199?

Anyway, reading the news and blog posts is slightly improved for me because of a word-replacement browser extension that I modified to instead randomly choose a replacement from a list of alternatives. So now the web looks like this:

Sometimes the changes are subtle, like this article about top launch titles:

(readwrite.com)

The hopelessly optimistic conclusions can turn into strangely appropriate metaphors.

(techhive.com)

(usatoday.com)

Guess I'll have to keep on looking elsewhere for that unique, powerful bowel movement experience.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arboc posted:

(techhive.com)

Speaking as a 12-year old in a grown-rear end man's body, you are doing God's work, Arboc :allears:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Alan Smithee posted:

God I hope she's using the missing ones to mine bitcoins. That would achieve peak comedy

Hey, she's 5 cents richer from her OUYA mining profit :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Belding posted:

Low budget games that are successful do so by either not being formulaic or by executing a formula that is very inexpensive to execute and is ignored by AAA titles. Games like Pixel Dungeon, Minecraft, the original Angry Birds, and Castle Crashers fill this role. They don't require AAA sales to be profitable, and if they come even close then they are goldmines.

Hold on, what? The guy who's making Pixel Dungeon not only isn't charging any money at all for it, he's said he doesn't want money and only added a "Donate" button on his website because so many people were literally begging to give him money.

:confused:

• Locked thread