Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I marathoned Season 1 of "The Fall". I don't know if I buy Gillian Anderson's Irish accent, but aside from that the whole thing is really excellent if dark and disturbing in a way that only British crime dramas seem to be able to do (see Prime Suspect season 1 and the cabbie and Satanist story lines from Luther).

I'm pretty pissed at where the story left off at the end of the season though.

Re: ESPN 30 movies, I'll reiterate that The Marinovich Project and The Best That Never Was are my favorites from the ones I've seen although I grew up when those stories were current. I should probably watch The U since the Miami Empire got established while I was in college. Still remember them taking their first title beating Nebraska's Greatest College Football Team Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

The whole Gillian Anderson British accent thing doesn't make sense to me either. I know she's done other British films, like Great Expectations, but if I'm not mistaken I think she uses the accent in her day to day life. Interviews, award speeches, daily communication -- all done in British despite being born in America.

I think I'll start off with The U and then see where things take me from there. So pumped for those.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hitch posted:

Reading a few pages back, I see that the ESPN documentaries are now on Netflix?!

Any recommendations on where to start?

I know what I'm doing all weekend.
:getin:

Watch the poo poo out of The Two Escobars.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hitch posted:

The whole Gillian Anderson British accent thing doesn't make sense to me either. I know she's done other British films, like Great Expectations, but if I'm not mistaken I think she uses the accent in her day to day life. Interviews, award speeches, daily communication -- all done in British despite being born in America.

I mean, it is possible to acquire an accent if you live somewhere long enough, and I think she moved to the UK like 10 years ago so, I dunno.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

wa27 posted:

The U is the best: http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=The_U

Though your favorites will probably be the ones dealing with sports you have an interest in already.

Those gifs sum up perfectly why The U was great. Did miss some of the Luther Campbell moments.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

I mean, it is possible to acquire an accent if you live somewhere long enough, and I think she moved to the UK like 10 years ago so, I dunno.

The internet says she grew up in the UK and moved to the US when she was 10. It could probably be something that could come and go, especially since she worked in the US for a while.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, I just noticed that amazon prime has the Under the Dome tv series for free, putting up new episodes as they air. I don't know if they're just doing the most recent ones for free or if you'll be able to watch it all after it's done, but that's a cool feature for anyone who can't watch it live.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hitch posted:

Reading a few pages back, I see that the ESPN documentaries are now on Netflix?!

Any recommendations on where to start?

I know what I'm doing all weekend.
:getin:

Two Escobars and You Don't Know Bo are great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jack Gladney posted:

The internet says she grew up in the UK and moved to the US when she was 10. It could probably be something that could come and go, especially since she worked in the US for a while.

In a few chat show appearances she's done over here she's said that when she comes back the UK the accent slips in so she doesn't bother hiding it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Interesting about Gillian Anderson's background. I haven't spent enough time in the UK to have a feel for what is an "authentic" accent, I suppose it's just the fact that I've grown up with her speaking unadorned American English that makes the change seem jarring.

Anyway, watch "The Fall" if you like well written gritty grim British crime dramas with really detailed character portraits of cops and perps alike.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Fall is a great show, can't wait for the next season (I need at least *some* storylines resolved, dammit! :haw:)

Most interested in what was going on with the two bent cops doing security on the 2nd victim of Spector's ex husband and why the one was shot.

Gillian Anderson is great in it, really like her character.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gillian Anderson doesn't have an Irish accent in The Fall- she uses her real English one. I guess her American and English accents are both real. She's playing a London cop from the Met sent to Northern Ireland for this case. Hence stuff like her not being used to carrying a gun (Police Service of Northern Ireland officers are routinely armed unlike police in the rest of the UK) and why she was staying in a hotel.

But yes agreed it's a very good show. Though a bit strange if you watch Game of Thrones since so many actors from that show up in The Fall. There seems to be an increasing trend of the BBC using Game of Thrones actors for various things in their time off from GoT, which is a good thing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, Gillian's accent is more or less fine in The Fall; if you want a similar show with an actual dodgy accent, try Top of the Lake on for size. It's another serialized detective show starring a female detective, but this time it's Elizabeth Moss doing a pretty spotty New Zealand accent. The cast is stellar, though, with Peter Mullan, David Wenham and Holly Hunter turning in some good scenes.

I also just got done watching the first two seasons of The Inbetweeners, which ended up being much funnier than I could have expected.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, Gillian's accent is more or less fine in The Fall; if you want a similar show with an actual dodgy accent, try Top of the Lake on for size. It's another serialized detective show starring a female detective, but this time it's Elizabeth Moss doing a pretty spotty New Zealand accent. The cast is stellar, though, with Peter Mullan, David Wenham and Holly Hunter turning in some good scenes.

I also just got done watching the first two seasons of The Inbetweeners, which ended up being much funnier than I could have expected.

movie's on Netflix too, and it's even funnier than the show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Jekyll is a fantastic miniseries by Steven Moffat, who is currently running Doctor Who. It has his signature puzzle-like storytelling, a great hammy cast, and a dark sense of humor. Probably one of the most purely entertaining things you can watch. Anyone who is a fan of smart low-brow shoes should check it out.

And it's got some British actors doing terrible American accents, which is what made me think of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

marktheando posted:

But yes agreed it's a very good show. Though a bit strange if you watch Game of Thrones since so many actors from that show up in The Fall. There seems to be an increasing trend of the BBC using Game of Thrones actors for various things in their time off from GoT, which is a good thing.

Ooh I knew I recognized Breedlove from somewhere, Roose Bolton on GoT. Who else is on there from The Fall?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

priznat posted:

Ooh I knew I recognized Breedlove from somewhere, Roose Bolton on GoT. Who else is on there from The Fall?

Barristan Selmy is in there too, and I'm sure there's someone else I'm forgetting.

Ripper Street has tons of GoT actors as well, Bronn, Jorah, Barristan, even Hodor. It's a detective show set in Whitechapel after the Ripper murders where Bronn is the main character's sidekick. But it's not on Netflix so not for this thread.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Hewlett posted:

I watched the series some time back, but just recently saw the movie last week. It was a bit cliched, but the humor stuck to the shows style.

I tried Four Lions last week as well, and I think I might be the only one that didn't like it. It felt like all of the humor was used up in the trailer and nothing was new once I watched it all. I also could not grasp the concept of them being terrorists except for maybe at the end in the restaurant. They seemed way too westernized and the one guys family acted so tame like he is going into work like any other day of the week. I know that they are supposed to be the common idiot trying to make a name for themselves in history, but there religious beliefs or ideology seemed to be absent from the film.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Just watched the doc Side by Side and it's a very thorough look at the history of digital cinematography and how its affected film. Keanu's inclusion as the narrator/interviewer didn't do much for me though, he didn't really ask great questions and I can't recall a single insightful thing he said in the entire thing. He does seem genuinely interested in the subject but doesn't really seem to possess the technical know-how to talk shop with guys like James Cameron, David Fincher and Chris Nolan. I'm seeing a lot of user reviews that slam it as being a glorified DVD extra which I frankly don't understand.

By far though my favorite part was Lorenzo di Bonaventura (producer of cinematic landmarks such as the Transformers series, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and Jack Ryan) claiming digital would make the level of entry for film making too low, and that there needs to be a "taste maker" in the world of film (presumably someone like him). With the exception of Side Effects, almost every film he's produced is a big-budget summer action movie and most of them are pretty terrible.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The Werner Herzog documentary Happy People is up and is really good. About one year in the life of a trapper in the Taiga area of Siberia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Khorne Flakes posted:

I tried Four Lions last week as well, and I think I might be the only one that didn't like it. It felt like all of the humor was used up in the trailer and nothing was new once I watched it all. I also could not grasp the concept of them being terrorists except for maybe at the end in the restaurant. They seemed way too westernized and the one guys family acted so tame like he is going into work like any other day of the week. I know that they are supposed to be the common idiot trying to make a name for themselves in history, but there religious beliefs or ideology seemed to be absent from the film.

I would dispute that but I'm not sure we saw the same movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

In case you were confused about the cult of personality around Ayn Rand and want to watch a bunch of white people (seriously they are all white) discussing why Ayn Rand is so amazing, you owe it to yourself to check out Ayn Rand & the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged.

Spoiler: the government is evil and anyone helped by government is a taker and not a maker and also all of the problems with the financial industry were caused by government regulation and not people being greedy shitheads because apparently the government has made it impossible to make a living without breaking the law. No really this is something several people say during the documentary. Financial institutions break the law because they couldn't make money otherwise. The housing crisis wasn't a result of predatory lending but by the government trying to help people get homes. Government bad. Pee pee doo doo.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I watched Senna the other night and would really recommend it to anyone that's a fan of documentaries. Not just motorsports. The footage and the way it's edited together in the movie is amazing.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

In case you were confused about the cult of personality around Ayn Rand and want to watch a bunch of white people (seriously they are all white) discussing why Ayn Rand is so amazing, you owe it to yourself to check out Ayn Rand & the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged.

The reminds me I need to watch the Atlas Shrugged movies sometime. Like just to see how horrible they are and if it holds up to the 500 pages of the book I read before realizing how awful it was and reading something worth my time.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Strange Days is a very good and important movie, and the parts that are weird dated influences from riot-era LA just add more interesting facets to it.
It is a film very much a part of the same odd era of 90s post-cyberpunk stuff like Cyberia (the non-fiction book), Until the End of the World, Hackers, William Gibson's Bridge trilogy of novels, and Snow Crash. The internet was becoming a Thing and everyone was grasping at straws trying to predict what that Thing would be, but everyone knew it would be huge. It's like during the Clinton years no one had any idea what the future would be like, and so a lot of the sci-fi from that era has a very specific and weird vibe that's hard to explain.

If any of that resonates with you, watch Strange Days. If not, watch it anyway. It's a Kathryn Bigelow joint and it has some really cool pseudo single-take steady-cam sequences in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zohn posted:

Strange Days is a very good and important movie, and the parts that are weird dated influences from riot-era LA just add more interesting facets to it.
It is a film very much a part of the same odd era of 90s post-cyberpunk stuff like Cyberia (the non-fiction book), Until the End of the World, Hackers, William Gibson's Bridge trilogy of novels, and Snow Crash. The internet was becoming a Thing and everyone was grasping at straws trying to predict what that Thing would be, but everyone knew it would be huge. It's like during the Clinton years no one had any idea what the future would be like, and so a lot of the sci-fi from that era has a very specific and weird vibe that's hard to explain.

If any of that resonates with you, watch Strange Days. If not, watch it anyway. It's a Kathryn Bigelow joint and it has some really cool pseudo single-take steady-cam sequences in it.

This is an excellent point that should sell anyone who hasn't seen Strange Days on Strange Days.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Personperson14 posted:

The reminds me I need to watch the Atlas Shrugged movies sometime. Like just to see how horrible they are and if it holds up to the 500 pages of the book I read before realizing how awful it was and reading something worth my time.

You're in luck, they're both on Netflix! :toot:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm watching To the Ends of the Earth. It's interesting, a drama with some fun moments here and there,all happening in a Victorian era ship on its way to Australia. Not recommended for those who expect action and adventure,guns,pirates and Benedict acting like Sherlock (I suspect the bad reviews come from fangirls).

Edit: Ignore the bad reviews,seriously, they point out that there is a lot the vomiting, peeing and making GBS threads, like if the movie is gross as gently caress and should be rated R, for a moment I thought it was nearly as gross as the Human Centipede or Hostel but it's quite mild and nothing out of this world.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 6, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You're in luck, they're both on Netflix! :toot:

I cannot recommend enough getting high/drunk with some friends and watching Atlas Shrugged Parts the First and Second. I am loving begging Rifftrax to get their hands on them.

The second one in particular is hilarious/terribad because it tried to "fix" the problems of the first one (slow pace, boring) and failed in grand fashion. It's just... yeah just watch them.

edit: Who is John Galt? D.B. Sweeney. No poo poo.

precision fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 6, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

precision posted:

I cannot recommend enough getting high/drunk with some friends and watching Atlas Shrugged Parts the First and Second. I am loving begging Rifftrax to get their hands on them.

The second one in particular is hilarious/terribad because it tried to "fix" the problems of the first one (slow pace, boring) and failed in grand fashion. It's just... yeah just watch them.

edit: Who is John Galt? D.B. Sweeney. No poo poo.

Rifftrax won't make fun of Atlas Shrugged...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Apparently the second one has cameos from Sean Hannity and Teller of Penn & Teller because of course it does.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

precision posted:

Yyyyyyyyeah, about that.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

mr. stefan posted:

Yyyyyyyyeah, about that.

I tried googling around to find out what you all are referencing, but couldn't find anything. What am I missing?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samfucius posted:

I tried googling around to find out what you all are referencing, but couldn't find anything. What am I missing?

That Rifftrax guy is a Republican.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Samfucius posted:

Mike Nelson's a pretty hardcore conservative. He's gone on record saying that liberals want to bring about Silly America. Usually, he has the good sense to keep quiet about it, though.

Unless he has a sudden change of heart, it's a safe bet that he won't touch Atlas Shrugged.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I'm watching Black Books and it's quite good. I thought that the period where I could stomach sitcoms was over with a long time ago. Little did I know that all I needed was one that was sardonic as hell.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I tried watching Black Books and I could tell that I would have really liked it, but I just could not handle the laugh track. After watching so many great comedies without one hearing the canned laughter retroactively made the jokes worse. It really saddened me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samfucius posted:

I tried watching Black Books and I could tell that I would have really liked it, but I just could not handle the laugh track. After watching so many great comedies without one hearing the canned laughter retroactively made the jokes worse. It really saddened me.

It's not canned laughter, it's filmed in front of an audience.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Really? It still took me right out of it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Samfucius posted:

Really? It still took me right out of it.

The IT Crowd does it too; it's a thing with Graham Linehan's sitcoms. He wrote something on it a few years back explaining his thought process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Friends Are Evil posted:

Mike Nelson's a pretty hardcore conservative. He's gone on record saying that liberals want to bring about Silly America.

How bad can he be? Murphy and Corbett seem to genuinely like the guy and they're extremely liberal.

Plenty of Conservatives don't like Ayn Rand, anyway.

• Locked thread