Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dave47 posted:

This article's central idea is that allowing people to commute to and from their jobs during a public transit strike is the "dark side" of private transit. But if we're going to adopt the logic that everyone must suffer equally, then why exactly do BART employees deserve a raise? We're all supposed to be suffering together, remember!

Those aren't really the same. If no one can make it to work, and this causes the BART management to accept BART labor's demands, then that is temporary suffering by everyone to permanently improve life for BART workers. The BART workers would then theoretically be willing to temporarily suffer to improve some other group's lives in the future. If on the other hand BART employees have to deal with lovely working conditions, don't get raises, etc, then nobody's life improves on a permanent basis (except I suppose the BART management).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dave47 posted:

This article's central idea is that allowing people to commute to and from their jobs during a public transit strike is the "dark side" of private transit. But if we're going to adopt the logic that everyone must suffer equally, then why exactly do BART employees deserve a raise? We're all supposed to be suffering together, remember!

Might want to re-read that article again. The article I read was about how affluent workers are largely unaffected by this strike, highlighting the wealth inequality that exists in the Bay area.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
NSFW has a grand piece by Yasha Levine in this month's print issue (I'll unlock it for the thread when they put it online) that's basically a tour guide for outsiders to the oligarchs of the San Joaquin Valley. I moved away from Cal in the early 90s, so while I knew about Cowschwitz and Tejon, I never knew about the massive poo poo plant or the Fiji water assholes' massive mansion there.

e- here's the first part/teaser:

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/oligarch-valley/29f2d59a4ed8ba67cbefb9eb8c2513be10d3567b/

GD_American fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 4, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GD_American posted:

NSFW has a grand piece by Yasha Levine in this month's print issue (I'll unlock it for the thread when they put it online) that's basically a tour guide for outsiders to the oligarchs of the San Joaquin Valley. I moved away from Cal in the early 90s, so while I knew about Cowschwitz and Tejon, I never knew about the massive poo poo plant or the Fiji water assholes' massive mansion there.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/oligarch-valley/29f2d59a4ed8ba67cbefb9eb8c2513be10d3567b/

Thanks for the link, was a interesting read.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Its amazing how virtually no articles bother to discuss the drat difference between take home pay and benefits pay.

If you search here for darryl wrong witness a station attendant who makes a whopping $23k (which is more like $19k after taxes). Of course he receives a lot of money in medical benefits (hes making out like a bandit!!!) so i guess his real salary is $52,000
http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2012

Journalism is more or less a joke when it comes to presenting facts objectively for unions. Same exact thing happened with UAW

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

coolskillrex remix posted:

Its amazing how virtually no articles bother to discuss the drat difference between take home pay and benefits pay.

If you search here for darryl wrong witness a station attendant who makes a whopping $23k (which is more like $19k after taxes). Of course he receives a lot of money in medical benefits (hes making out like a bandit!!!) so i guess his real salary is $52,000
http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2012

Journalism is more or less a joke when it comes to presenting facts objectively for unions. Same exact thing happened with UAW

Yeah, The Nation has a good post about this: http://www.thenation.com/blog/175063/bart-strike-another-instance-media-portraying-workers-greedy

No one ever seems to bring up the fact that the BART has a budget surplus, that BART management makes 6 figures, and management can keep getting paid for a year while doing no work: http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

GD_American posted:

God Dammit you guys :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Van5 posted:

God Dammit you guys :smith:

It's a eye opening article, I always wondered why things looked so bad in the Central valley for things such as the unemployment rate.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

GD_American posted:

Man, I always assumed that most of the San Joaquin Valley farmers were white families who actually lived there and set up those "STOP THE OBAMA CREATED DUST BOWL" signs all over the place. The more you know!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 4, 2013

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Here are detailed BART salary figures from that bastion of right-wing propaganda, NPR.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2013/07/03/bart/

The data shows employees from the two striking unions make around $78,000 to $81,000, including overtime.

The U.S. Census Bureau said the 2010 median household income in San Francisco was $71,745, or $76,644 in 2013 inflation-adjusted dollars. In Marin it was $83,867 ($89,593); Alameda County $67,169 ($71,755); Contra Costa $83,867 ($89,593); San Mateo County $82,745 ($88,395).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

sincx posted:

The data shows employees from the two striking unions make around $78,000 to $81,000, including overtime.

For reference, base pay is 55-65K.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GD_American posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks so much for this link. I was able to track the author back to the guy who made the whole series about living in Victorville that I had been looking for for years now.

http://exiledonline.com/tag/victorville/

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

For reference, base pay is 55-65K.

Where did you get that figure? I'm getting pretty confused because the sources are all saying muddled things with salaries ranging anywhere from $28k-$83k. Can someone explain which employees specifically people are complaining about (i.e. their job title) and what the average salary is with a break down? I want to know the income without including benefits.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It looks like BART workers agreed to extend the current contract by 30 days, and service will begin again this Friday.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

AshB posted:

Where did you get that figure? I'm getting pretty confused because the sources are all saying muddled things with salaries ranging anywhere from $28k-$83k. Can someone explain which employees specifically people are complaining about (i.e. their job title) and what the average salary is with a break down? I want to know the income without including benefits.

The same link that article did.

That is the mean average without overtime figured in.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
So what I'm understanding is that the two striking unions were Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555 (ATU) and the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 (SEIU). Their average base salaries excluding overtime are $56,184.97 and $63,529.55 respectively, with medians at $62,614.00 and $73,410.40. The means are pretty low, but I think the medians are pretty close to the median household incomes in nearby Bay Area counties, aren't they?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh, NSFW is not putting it up for unlock, guys. I don't wanna rip off their whole 29 page PDF.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is totally worth $7/month.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

withak posted:

It is totally worth $7/month.

$3 a month for online (which I guess gets you access to some of the print stuff, as they just put it online in a PDF).

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

The idea of taxing benefits perpetually recurs, and from both sides of the political aisle ("If we tax benefits then people will understand the true cost of healthcare!" / "If we tax benefits then people will pay money on their actual salary instead of getting to use it as a tax shelter!") So I'm not super-concerned about pay being lumped together into a single number. Particularly when retirement compensation *does* take benefits pay into account.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The idea of taxing benefits perpetually recurs, and from both sides of the political aisle ("If we tax benefits then people will understand the true cost of healthcare!" / "If we tax benefits then people will pay money on their actual salary instead of getting to use it as a tax shelter!") So I'm not super-concerned about pay being lumped together into a single number. Particularly when retirement compensation *does* take benefits pay into account.

I wouldn't be concerned about it, if it didn't produce a misleadingly high number. When you tell people "She's getting paid X!", they will almost always assume that you mean she gets to take home X minus taxes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Combining wages and benefits is intentionally misleading almost certainly to make the workers look like they are getting paid more than they really are. If you ask someone how much they make roughly, how many of them are going to include their benefits? Very few to none.

It sounds like BART workers get paid median or less wages for the Bay Area, they have a right to strike especially to keep their wages constant versus price increases.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 6, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Combining wages and benefits is intentionally misleading almost certainly to make the workers look like they are getting paid more than they really are. If you ask someone how much they make roughly, how many of them are going to include their benefits? Very few to none.

A lot of people I have spoken to do mention their benefits. As in, "I make X per hour/month/year plus X/Y/Z benefit."

In job interviews I always say that my current job gives me health/vision/dental insurance, catered lunch everyday, 401k match, etc. The idea is that whatever they offer me should exceed the whole package as opposed to just the salary. It doesn't help if the new salary is 10% higher but comes with few or no benefits for example.

I'm willing to accept that I'm kind of an outlier though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

A lot of people I have spoken to do mention their benefits. As in, "I make X per hour/month/year plus X/Y/Z benefit."

In job interviews I always say that my current job gives me health/vision/dental insurance, catered lunch everyday, 401k match, etc. The idea is that whatever they offer me should exceed the whole package as opposed to just the salary. It doesn't help if the new salary is 10% higher but comes with few or no benefits for example.

I'm willing to accept that I'm kind of an outlier though.

My point is that usually separate those two things as different values. Yes, people mention and negotiate for benefits, but I haven't met anyone that just lumps in everything into a single figure like the newspapers do. They are just trying to inflate the salaries so public opinion turns harder against the workers, which makes it easier to crush the strike.

Our press is not on "our side" here in the US.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ardennes posted:

My point is that usually separate those two things as different values. Yes, people mention and negotiate for benefits, but I haven't met anyone that just lumps in everything into a single figure like the newspapers do. They are just trying to inflate the salaries so public opinion turns harder against the workers, which makes it easier to crush the strike.

Our press is not on "our side" here in the US.

I understand.

I would love to be able to lump everything into a single figure. The problem is that my employer (private) does not tell us how much each benefit is costing them. For example, if I knew that free catered lunch everyday year-around costs $3,000 per employee, then I could factor that into my salary. But I literally have no idea how much the company is spending on lunch, much less more expensive stuff like insurance and retirement benefits.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I understand.

I would love to be able to lump everything into a single figure. The problem is that my employer (private) does not tell us how much each benefit is costing them. For example, if I knew that free catered lunch everyday year-around costs $3,000 per employee, then I could factor that into my salary. But I literally have no idea how much the company is spending on lunch, much less more expensive stuff like insurance and retirement benefits.

Some companies give you all the info in a yearly brag sheet, as a somewhat unsubtle encouragement to stick with the company.

Usually for a decent white collar job all the benefits especially the health insurance subsidy easily add 15% to even 25% to the salary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I understand.

You see how your employer hiding that information from you not only prevents you from knowing how well you are compensated, but leaves you overvaluing the compensation of public employees like BART employees? This is a classic way employers use to hide which employees they compensate less too.

Plus, if anyone cares about waste at BART, they should care about the fact that the Top Paid Manager at BART worked 0 days for their last year of work (and got paid $333k, and no she isn't Union, she's management). (http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Trabisnikof posted:

You see how your employer hiding that information from you not only prevents you from knowing how well you are compensated, but leaves you overvaluing the compensation of public employees like BART employees? This is a classic way employers use to hide which employees they compensate less too.

Plus, if anyone cares about waste at BART, they should care about the fact that the Top Paid Manager at BART worked 0 days for their last year of work (and got paid $333k, and no she isn't Union, she's management). (http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23416601/barts-top-paid-worker-2012-never-worked-day)

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sincx posted:

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Name in one way how the Unions did anything wrong?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Name in one way how the Unions did anything wrong?

Demanding raises and safety improvements in one of the most expensive US metro areas.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

etalian posted:

Usually for a decent white collar job all the benefits especially the health insurance subsidy easily add 15% to even 25% to the salary.

I know at all my jobs the health insurance rates (including increases) were announced by the insurer annually via a formal letter so you knew how much was being subsidized by the firm (from my experiences, around 60-75% was firm-covered).

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
All this talk of the increasing lack of security amongst Bart employees; wasn't there a lot of rabble a while ago about disbanding the Bart police? Yes, this sounds familiar.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

All this talk of the increasing lack of security amongst Bart employees; wasn't there a lot of rabble a while ago about disbanding the Bart police? Yes, this sounds familiar.

The issue with the BART police is that they kept shooting unarmed people (See, Fruitvale). One of the big union demands is bulletproof glass in the station attendants' booths.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes, dismantling the CA police state is just like Union Busting writ large. With an attitude like that you should send a check into the CCPOA, they would love to hear from you! unless I miscontrued your post

(With sound: watch?v=kLjYhdCf_YA )
(Six views of the incident: watch?v=rSN5WF9qD3g )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LDw5l_yMI

Different day, different victim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rAlaNyZCH8

How to handle an angry drunk guy (if youre a BART cop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-2DFPFJIM8

Speaking of those little darlings, I love how the prison "guards" pull the "tough on crime" bullshit and then stories like this always come out:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/04/local/la-me-prison-guards-20110204

quote:

Prison employees, roughly half of whom are unionized guards, are the main source of smuggled phones that inmates use to run drugs and other crimes, according to legislative analysts who examined the problem last year.

The rightwing will lock onto the word "union" and ignore the rest. "Unions are giving inmates illegal contraband!"

Ah well.

http://www.policynook.com/index/2012/9/25/california-prison-guard-union-the-toughest-beast-in-the-stat.html

quote:

The California correctional officers’ union (CCPOA) has been guarding more than just prison inmates. As one of the most influential special interest groups in the state, it has secured and steadfastly held onto some of the highest salaries and benefits awarded to state employees.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue with the BART police is that they kept shooting unarmed people (See, Fruitvale). One of the big union demands is bulletproof glass in the station attendants' booths.

I worked with the director of that movie. Coincidentally, we're both part of SEIU 1021, which represents a large amount of BART employees. Despite how much my coworkers complained about being part of them, they did manage to save a lot of jobs for us.

As a union guy and as someone who doesn't have to take BART, I stand behind them as they haven't had a raise in five years. I know asking for 23% over three years is a lot, but I know that they won't get it and they're most likely starting with a high number to negotiate with.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is how negotiations work. If the initial offer doesn't offend the other party then you are doing it wrong.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Late to the party but wanted to throw up this map depicting climates across California based on the Koeppen climate classification system. Sorry that it literally looks like throw-up, I pulled the data from some work I did in graduate school and made a map post haste and can't be bothered with intricate color maps (or a key!). You'll get the point anyways, which is the San Joaquin Valley is all arid/semi-arid, similar to the southeast quarter of the state. Thus Bakersfield and Fresno have climates more like wonderful locales such as El Centro, Barstow, Yuma (and Phoenix further east) than points further north in the Sacramento Valley. Yes, there used to be a big loving lake there, but that was due to the big loving mountains (which interestingly are closer to an arctic climate) where lots of rain and snow typically fall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Yeah that is how negotiations work. If the initial offer doesn't offend the other party then you are doing it wrong.

The side that makes the initial offers tends to do worse in the negotiation too.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Cross-posting from a few other threads:

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

quote:

Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years – and there are perhaps 100 more dating back to the late 1990s, according to state documents and interviews.

Crystal Nguyen, a former Valley State Prison inmate who worked in the prison's infirmary during 2007, said she often overheard medical staff asking inmates who had served multiple prison terms to agree to be sterilized.

"I was like, 'Oh my God, that's not right,' " said Nguyen, 28. "Do they think they're animals, and they don't want them to breed anymore?"

One former Valley State inmate who gave birth to a son in October 2006 said the institution's OB-GYN, Dr. James Heinrich, repeatedly pressured her to agree to a tubal ligation.

"As soon as he found out that I had five kids, he suggested that I look into getting it done. The closer I got to my due date, the more he talked about it," said Christina Cordero, 34, who spent two years in prison for auto theft. "He made me feel like a bad mother if I didn't do it."

The allegations echo those made nearly a half-century ago, when forced sterilizations of prisoners, the mentally ill and the poor were commonplace in California. State lawmakers officially banned such practices in 1979.

Yet another horrifying facet of justice in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

SirPablo posted:

Late to the party but wanted to throw up this map depicting climates across California based on the Koeppen climate classification system. Sorry that it literally looks like throw-up, I pulled the data from some work I did in graduate school and made a map post haste and can't be bothered with intricate color maps (or a key!). You'll get the point anyways, which is the San Joaquin Valley is all arid/semi-arid, similar to the southeast quarter of the state. Thus Bakersfield and Fresno have climates more like wonderful locales such as El Centro, Barstow, Yuma (and Phoenix further east) than points further north in the Sacramento Valley. Yes, there used to be a big loving lake there, but that was due to the big loving mountains (which interestingly are closer to an arctic climate) where lots of rain and snow typically fall.

Could you put a key up with that?

• Locked thread