Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
A shameful crosspost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I did the weather briefing for this very flight :3:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so what caught on fire?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pufflekins posted:

so what caught on fire?

It was a malfunction, this happened years ago

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
And that's why you don't smoke in places that say 'no smoking'

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Any chance I can request fat_national_guard_dude_with_stack_of_pizza_boxes.jpg in here, because I can't find that goddamn picture to save my life.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Any chance I can request fat_national_guard_dude_with_stack_of_pizza_boxes.jpg in here, because I can't find that goddamn picture to save my life.

GIS for Fat National Guard brought me to this:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

GIS for Fat National Guard brought me to this:

gently caress, my googling only got me as far as this:

Much obliged!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how the gently caress is that guy in the army?

edit: we had a 400 pound medic. he was so fat that he snored no matter which way he laid down to sleep.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pufflekins posted:

how the gently caress is that guy in the army?

edit: we had a 400 pound medic. he was so fat that he snored no matter which way he laid down to sleep.

Nattyg + surge.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I recall the equivalent of a 50-something-year-old S5-CSM in my bataillon that had suffered a massive stroke no less than a half year before his regular retirement with full benefits that we somehow managed to pull through despite every single person on post visibly perceiving a person no longer fit to serve sitting at a loving desk, let alone a somewhat important position, but this was a community effort in good intentions.

National Guard Fatty is so far beyond my understanding.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Victor Vermis posted:

Our ANA were mostly Dari-speaking Tajiks and were pretty cool dudes and (mostly) professional. The guys who were designated patrollers never took issue with doing long patrols or conducting their own VCPs for a few hours. By the end of our deployment we would hand them a radio and effectively have three fire-teams satelliting each other as we went along. Seeing that kind of progression left me feeling optimistic for the prospects of their Army, at the very least.
There were a few guys who were primarily truck drivers or whatever that we'd occasionally get saddled with who were, more often than not, clueless complainers- dragging their rifle along behind them because their feet hurt.

At the end of the day we're all scummy dudes who would rather hit up the bazaar than drill or beautify the COP. Afghanistan sucks. :shrug:

Cool ANA dudes incoming:

(Terp's face)

We had one ANASF team that only had a single Pashto speaker on it with the majority of them being Tajiks and Hazarans. They were easily the best team, but I had a feeling it was because we were in a Pashtun area and the locals loving hated Hazarans.

That little dude was awesome.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vasudus posted:

Nattyg + surge.

you'd think there would be some standards

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Heck, they were waiving convicted felons during the surge, having some fatties were the least of their concerns.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 7, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

you'd think there would be some standards
You should have seen the Cleatuses and shitbags the Air Force was letting in during the surge. There's always morons and fatbodies but things really got out of control during that stupid period.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
I went through BCT during the surge. poo poo was hilarious. People weren't passing tests or doing anything correctly at all. They could practically call Drill Sergeant bluffs and get away with it. I'll never forget this asian dude named Lee who pretended to not speak English 80% of the time, and wouldn't even attempt PT, made it through.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
iirc I remember reading a story somewhere about that picture. guy was irr or something and got called up for deployment and lost like 150 lbs throughout the deployment

i remember seeing an after photo and he was skinny and muscles

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DrCuntmuffins posted:

iirc I remember reading a story somewhere about that picture. guy was irr or something and got called up for deployment and lost like 150 lbs throughout the deployment

i remember seeing an after photo and he was skinny and muscles

Sad story, I prefer to think that he was just fat as gently caress and living large, got off his deployment, separated, and claimed a lifetime of benefits based on injuries sustained while walking around.

Some day I hope that's me

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I enlisted during the surge.

Pretty sure fobbits were gettin' fat off mid-rats prior to '07.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

doogle posted:

We had one ANASF team that only had a single Pashto speaker on it with the majority of them being Tajiks and Hazarans. They were easily the best team, but I had a feeling it was because we were in a Pashtun area and the locals loving hated Hazarans.

That little dude was awesome.

I'm sitting here wondering what on Sparkles' rifle was OPSEC-sensitive.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm sitting here wondering what on Sparkles' rifle was OPSEC-sensitive.

'My Little Pony' sticker.

doogle
May 24, 2003

hazza posted:

'My Little Pony' sticker.

Close. The team stenciled their logo on everything, especially if it wasn't theirs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

shyduck posted:

Pretty good doc done in coordination with Vice about the challenges in trying to prepare the ANA for 2014 handover. It paints a pretty grim picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77dCAZzcLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rRqRoCUsg

Holy poo poo, this guy could very well be the best officer to have ever lived.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I watched those Vice docs a while ago, and even wrote a quick guest column about them for Tom Ricks over on ForeignPolicy.com. Basically, if you think that anyone in the US military or government is going to be able to form a coherent and capable ANSF (even just Afghan good enough), you're loving high. There is zero hope for it and it's not going to happen. Full stop.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got a link to that column?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Link here

Like I said, just a real quick column. I mainly wanted people to watch the documentary, to get an actual feel for how useless ANSF is. I wrote more in the comment section as well. It kind of turned into a debate on the merit of R2P (which is a terrible loving idea).

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

white privilege posted:

Link here

Like I said, just a real quick column. I mainly wanted people to watch the documentary, to get an actual feel for how useless ANSF is. I wrote more in the comment section as well. It kind of turned into a debate on the merit of R2P (which is a terrible loving idea).

Do you have a link that does not require me to register?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Evil_Urna posted:

Do you have a link that does not require me to register?

Sometimes it asks you to, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Watching that Vice documentary. Jesus what the gently caress are we doing there?

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

As someone with no military experience whatsoever I thought that officer guy was the loving goodest of cunts, real straight up dude.. but having read a lot of your guys posts regarding military politics I can't help but wonder if he would have been disciplined for voicing what he did. Have you guys heard of anything happening to him? I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me :(

e; VVV drat, thanks!

Click Beelay fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 8, 2013

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Watching that Vice documentary. Jesus what the gently caress are we doing there?

The better question is, what the gently caress have we been doing there for the last decade? That Major seemed so goddamn disillusioned with the whole thing

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Throwing money and young men and women into a burning pit? :shrug:

It'll be interesting to watch the historiography develop from these two wars.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Click Beelay posted:

As someone with no military experience whatsoever I thought that officer guy was the loving goodest of cunts, real straight up dude.. but having read a lot of your guys posts regarding military politics I can't help but wonder if he would have been disciplined for voicing what he did. Have you guys heard of anything happening to him? I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me :(

He seems like a good dude so if he didn't get hosed over for this then he probably just got hosed over on something else later so someone incompetent could be rewarded.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

He's probably short and doesn't give a gently caress.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

He's probably short and doesn't give a gently caress.

Like most good officers.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Welp, all the money & attention went towards the Iraq war, so it's not suprising how Afghanistan is now. I feel sorry for the poor schmucks that gotta train the ANSF; I worked with ANSF officers and they weren't bad (pretty chill, friendly dudes actually), but all the poo poo I've heard & read about dealing with the Es is just too crazy to be made up.
Hopefully Afghanistan can stand well enough on its own if we keep throwing money at it after we leave. Worked in Vietnam 'til we got cheap and yanked the flow of cash. Hell, even the USSR did it after they said "fuckit" and pulled out of Afghanistan, and that government was able to outlast the USSR a little when the cashflow stopped.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ivan Drago goes hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

Vladimir Putin goes hunting.

• Locked thread