Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Goon Matchmaker posted:

both cores allocated to the file server.
This is your first mistake, there's no reason for a file server to have more than one core. Unless you have tens of thousands of users living in your house...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
It does more than just serve files, otherwise I'd agree that it's overkill.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Erwin posted:

This is your first mistake, there's no reason for a file server to have more than one core. Unless you have tens of thousands of users living in your house...
Or if you live in the 21st century and have PS3 Media Server or something for transcoding media streams to other devices.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Another thing is that the i-series desktop processors won't ever hope to achieve dual-socket or ECC memory configurations and densities.
But for home use, the i-series processors really are fine. You're not playing with super high memory densities/amounts (4-8 8GB non-ECC DIMMs, depending on your board/chipset are plenty), and single-bit errors otherwise caught by ECC are not really of concern for a home user/fileserver.

I'm just building one right now out of previous-gen and eBay hardware:
- Core i7 960, LGA 1366 foxconn motherboard (needed the 6 DIMM banks and PCI-E lanes), 2 8GB DIMMs (expandable to 48GB later).
- A 2-port 10Gbit SFP+ CNA, a 1-port 10Gbit CX4 HBA, a 4-port Intel PRO/1000 Ethernet adapter, dual onboard Ethernet LAN (Marvell/Yukon garbage), an LSI SAS/SATA 8-port RAID adapter, a single-slot nVidia video adapter (meh, maybe so this can serve as a media PC too).
- Some Corsair PSU that actually switches off the cooling fan until temps/load goes high (kinda nice for a quiet setup).
To do, hardware is... around:
- 8 1TB 7200RPM SATA drives, 5 3TB 7200RPM SATA drives, 2 240GB Intel SSDs, 2 120GB Corsair SSDs.

It doesn't have an OS yet. Still waiting for the opportunity to pull all those drives from existing systems and to install them in the box. It'll require a weekend of downtime.
I know it won't have ESXi on it, but it'll do direct connect to them to host storage for them (hence the 10Gbit connectivity).

Edit:
Why?
I've experimented with using iSCSI target devices for desktop use, like running Steam games from, and it works wonderfully. Even as a fileio target on a big software RAID set. So I'm taking practically all the mechanical disks out of existing desktops/RAID sets and putting them in the storage server in disk pools, then carving LUNs/iSCSI targets out of those. Systems continue to boot from decent size SSDs, but bulk disks are served via network.

The most demanding systems get direct 10Gbit connectivity - two ESXi servers and a desktop that occasionally needs more than 110MB/s (gigabit) of throughput.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 5, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Why an i5? A Xeon E3-1230v3 isn't that much more and I get hyper threading plus vt-d.

You get VT-d on Haswell i5's for $70 less, with the added bonuses of drawing 15W less and not needing a separate GPU. You lose hyperthreading, but you win everywhere else.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Edit:
Why?
I've experimented with using iSCSI target devices for desktop use, like running Steam games from, and it works wonderfully. Even as a fileio target on a big software RAID set. So I'm taking practically all the mechanical disks out of existing desktops/RAID sets and putting them in the storage server in disk pools, then carving LUNs/iSCSI targets out of those. Systems continue to boot from decent size SSDs, but bulk disks are served via network.

Using iSCSI for desktop use? What a great idea!

I multibox 5 instances of WoW using two PCs, with one PC as my master and the other PC running four slaves, and a RAID-0 array gets clobbered during a 4x map refresh.

I might have to look into an iSCSI setup with LUNs mapped to my overbuilt file server that has I/O to spare.

Well hello new Monday night project!

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 5, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Agrikk posted:

Using iSCSI for desktop use? What a great idea!

I multibox 5 instances of WoW using two PCs, with one PC as my master and the other PC running four slaves, and a RAID-0 array gets clobbered during a 4x map refresh.

I might have to look into an iSCSI setup with LUNs mapped to my overbuilt file server that has I/O to spare.

Well hello new Monday night project!

You probably shouldn't, unless you want to set up one LUN per client or your clients are Windows 2k8r2/2012 in a cluster and you make the LUN a cluster shared volume.

You probably should use bonded NICs and a mapped CIFS filesystem.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

evol262 posted:

You probably shouldn't, unless you want to set up one LUN per client or your clients are Windows 2k8r2/2012 in a cluster and you make the LUN a cluster shared volume.

You probably should use bonded NICs and a mapped CIFS filesystem.

Nah. I was thinking I could re-turn on the iSCSI Target software installed on my file server and create four LUNs mounted to my desktop.

Yes, I could simply set up a file share and have all the clients point there. But then it wouldn't be overbuilt, unnecessary and fun at all, would it? :)

What could possibly go wrong?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yep, carve a separate LUN out for each client system. Looks like you're knowledgeable on this whole requirement, though.
I also did the CIFS thing for a bit (mounted network drive). It also works! But you can't use junctions or symlinks to/from it, and some applications just flat-out refuse to utilize a network share in the way you hope. It needs to be a block device, if you want full compatibility.

Anyway utlization patterns never really showed a game using anywhere near a gig of bandwidth, let alone for any duration of time. It won't really induce latency, but four WoW clients loading a heavily populated area (hearth, login to capital city, etc) over a single one-gig link could possibly do it for a moment. Perhaps the disks would end up being the point of contention there anyway, however.

Edit: Fileio as a target is really quite fine. If you do this over top of BTRFS or some other late-starting storage volumes/maps on Linux, make sure you have startup routines handling this properly, or you'll find a race condition makes BTRFS bits load after your iSCSI Target, or something dumb like that. For a short while, every time I rebooted the storage server, iSCSI volumes never came back up without restarting the iSCSI Target service again.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 5, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Agrikk posted:

Nah. I was thinking I could re-turn on the iSCSI Target software installed on my file server and create four LUNs mounted to my desktop.

Yes, I could simply set up a file share and have all the clients point there. But then it wouldn't be overbuilt, unnecessary and fun at all, would it? :)

What could possibly go wrong?

In this case, overbuilt is probably equivalent to "performs like poo poo compared to other solutions". Four LUNs doing potentially identical work over a single link which cannot take advantage of server-side filesystem cache? It's not complicated in a good way.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Yep, carve a separate LUN out for each client system. Looks like you're knowledgeable on this whole requirement, though.
I also did the CIFS thing for a bit (mounted network drive). It also works! But you can't use junctions or symlinks to/from it, and some applications just flat-out refuse to utilize a network share in the way you hope. It needs to be a block device, if you want full compatibility.
This is only a problem with the worst-written applications (which rely on embedded ie features or administrative rights). It works fine for every game I've ever tried it with.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway utlization patterns really showed a game using anywhere near a gig of bandwidth, let alone for any duration of time. It won't really induce latency, but four WoW clients loading a heavily populated area (hearth, login to capital city, etc) over a single one-gig link could possibly do it for a moment. Perhaps the disks would end up being the point of contention there anyway, however.
What games didn't load as fast as possible from the disk? On a reasonable fileserver, even random reads will easily beat 110mb/s, which is near the theoretical cap of cifs, even if it's just loading one compressed 100mb texture into memory and uncompressing it there.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Edit: Fileio as a target is really quite fine. If you do this over top of BTRFS or some other late-starting storage volumes/maps on Linux, make sure you have startup routines handling this properly, or you'll find a race condition makes BTRFS bits load after your iSCSI Target, or something dumb like that. For a short while, every time I rebooted the storage server, iSCSI volumes never came back up without restarting the iSCSI Target service again.
Please don't do iscsi with files on top of anything but btrfs. LVM is a better option in 99% of cases. And you should fix your systemd/upstart scripts then submit a patch to your distro if you have service ordering problems.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Misogynist posted:

Or if you live in the 21st century and have PS3 Media Server or something for transcoding media streams to other devices.

If you're transcoding on the fly you're doing it wrong. At most you should be converting containers for the wonky devices that only play certain codecs out of certain containers, but if it can't play modern MPEG4 content just trash it already. There's no reason to waste a pile of CPU and possibly GPU resources transcoding just to keep old POS hardware alive when things like the Raspberry Pi exist that decode modern formats at 1080p for the cost of a good pizza.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Edit: re evol
I was being lazy. Before btrfs-tools auto-scanned for BTRFS devices on boot, you had to use a volume discovery command yourself. I used rc.local scripts for that, which runs last during boot (after iSCSI Target would have already tried to start), hence the race condition. I later wrote a completely non-compliant init script for my BTRFS scan and scheduler tweaks, reordering stuff in the process.

Server-side cache was an interesting one you brought up - I'm sure with fileio most targets won't support/provide this. But with blockio, it could be enabled, depending on your target. You can also consider front-end SSD cache (bcache kernel mod) which I toyed with for some time. But I found my backing mechanical disk set outperformed my fairly old SSD, so this was almost worthless to me. Neat idea, though; kind of behaves like non-volatile cache.

As for games utilizing 100MB/s for any respectable length of time, generally nothing so far in my experience? I have a pretty extensive Steam library, but I just simply haven't hit line limits for any appreciable length of time to notice hitching, lag, or problems. In your example, that 100MB texture would copy over in one second, but again, I think it still depends on whether the game seeks/reads data in chunks of that size. It's probably still going to be more efficiently handled than with CIFS.

Anyway with regards to lovely programming causing network drives to not be supported for whatever reason, that's out of an end-user's control. It's a time to just run off local, unless you do go full-retard like myself and set up remote iSCSI or a DAS RAID set.

Lastly, did you mean to "do fileio on anything but BTRFS?" I'd understand, it can, and has been, quirky.
Strangely I have not suffered actual data loss or corruption in the last few years I've run the file system for all my storage needs, but I do appreciate its striping more than any [affordable] hw/sw RAID I've used so far. Pre-failing drives can be removed without data loss (just a stripe migration, removal, then rebalance once your replacement drive is in). And BTRFS w/ parity capability is edging around the corner, which is where I'd take things next.
Basically the versatility and independence of traditional hardware or software RAID is what's so enticing. I don't even care about the snapshot and dedupe capabilities.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I have an 128GB SSD in my main machine and I have a ISCSI drive hooked up to my ZFS box for Origin and Steam. 83GB of games is a bit much on an 128GB SSD.

No messing about with programs that don't understand UNC networkdrives. It behaves like a disk and works perfectly.

When Battlefield loads a map it sometimes goes up to 200Mbps.

This is on Ubuntu running LIO.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kachunkachunk posted:

Edit: re evol
I was being lazy. Before btrfs-tools auto-scanned for BTRFS devices on boot, you had to use a volume discovery command yourself. I used rc.local scripts for that, which runs last during boot (after iSCSI Target would have already tried to start), hence the race condition. I later wrote a completely non-compliant init script for my BTRFS scan and scheduler tweaks, reordering stuff in the process.
Why do people do this? systemd service definitions are so easy to write that a monkey could do it. You can call whatever script you want in whatever language you want without worrying about handling start/stop/restart/status in shell and all the other limitations of SysVinit. There is literally zero reason to be using an rc.local script or hacking your own init scripts when you could have done:
code:
[Unit]
Description=My stupid BTRFS service
Wants=iscsid.service
Before=iscsid.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/home/kachunkachunk/enableiscsi.py --with-any -oPtionS

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Kachunkachunk posted:

Server-side cache was an interesting one you brought up - I'm sure with fileio most targets won't support/provide this. But with blockio, it could be enabled, depending on your target. You can also consider front-end SSD cache (bcache kernel mod) which I toyed with for some time. But I found my backing mechanical disk set outperformed my fairly old SSD, so this was almost worthless to me. Neat idea, though; kind of behaves like non-volatile cache.
No, neither fileio nor blockio will enable it. With ietd, comstar, scst, lefthand, and pretty much every other target, what's inside the LUN is a black box. FileIO can use the filesystem cache in the sense that it's backed by files, and it can say "I'm reading this 4k chunk of this file an awful lot, let me keep it in memory", but it has literally zero idea what's contained inside that block. fileio breaks writes into 4k blocks and relies on write reordering by the kernel to handle it. blockio does not (it can handle writes of arbitrary sizes without breaking them into 4k chunks).

bcache, l2arc, flashcache and other caching mechanisms also do not handle this problem. While they (like fileio) can address caching frequently read blocks, and it's extremely fast even for random workloads, it's simply not the same as saying "hey, you're reading the beginning of this file, let me pull the rest of the pages which comprise it", because it has no idea what pages you're going to read next (because it has no idea what's on your anonymous LUN). Front-end SSD cache is a solution to a problem, but it discards almost all the current effort which goes into filesystem code and server code to optimize performance. If your application needs a block-level device, bcache/l2arc/whatever in front of a zvol or file-backed LUN is going to be your best bet. If there's any chance of actually knowing what you're reading (by mapping a UNC path, NFS, or whatever), it is never going to be the most efficient solution, and file->(kernel page/filesystem) cache->block cache (bcache, l2arc, flashcache, etc) -> RAID controller cache -> raw block device is the most performant path. Remove any of these, and performance takes a hit, no matter what you do to mitigate it.

Especially because his clients would presumably all be accessing exactly the same data on the same blocks, a block-level cache loses badly here (since, again, it has no idea what the different blocks it's caching are virtually identical without some kind of dedupe).

Kachunkachunk posted:

As for games utilizing 100MB/s for any respectable length of time, generally nothing so far in my experience? I have a pretty extensive Steam library, but I just simply haven't hit line limits for any appreciable length of time to notice hitching, lag, or problems.

:suicide:

The argument really isn't whether or not games will utilize 100MB/s for any respectable length of time. It's "do games load data as fast as they possibly can?" The answer to that (as with 99.9999% of programs -- those not written to explicitly slow I/O access) is "yes".

Kachunkachunk posted:

In your example, that 100MB texture would copy over in one second, but again, I think it still depends on whether the game seeks/reads data in chunks of that size. It's probably still going to be more efficiently handled than with CIFS.
Is your argument honestly that seeking around a 4 different file backed LUNs is going to be faster? iSCSI is more efficient for raw IOPS. Under the assumption that under large workloads, you get ~3-4% of clients accessing the same data, and the caches on the CIFS server get invalidated pretty quickly, plus it has to handle locking and metadata (which iSCSI doesn't). All of these arguments go out the window when you're talking about reading exactly the same data over and over again at essentially the same time.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway with regards to lovely programming causing network drives to not be supported for whatever reason, that's out of an end-user's control. It's a time to just run off local, unless you do go full-retard like myself and set up remote iSCSI or a DAS RAID set.
Well, no, it's not. There are small registry tweaks to fix the UAC problems with mapped-drives. Moreover, you should vote with your wallet and simply refuse to use applications written like it's still Windows XP (really, Win9x, because even XP implemented the NT security model). If it's 2013 and there's an application which writes files somewhere other Windows.Storage.ApplicationData, don't buy it. It's that simple, really.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Lastly, did you mean to "do fileio on anything but BTRFS?" I'd understand, it can, and has been, quirky.
No, I meant "don't do iscsi with files on top of anything but btrfs", because performance on fileio vs. blockio with different targets notwithstanding, you can't snapshot file-backed targets on anything but btrfs.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Strangely I have not suffered actual data loss or corruption in the last few years I've run the file system for all my storage needs, but I do appreciate its striping more than any [affordable] hw/sw RAID I've used so far. Pre-failing drives can be removed without data loss (just a stripe migration, removal, then rebalance once your replacement drive is in). And BTRFS w/ parity capability is edging around the corner, which is where I'd take things next.
"I run striped RAIDs but it's not a problem because as long as you notice the drive is dying beforehand and replace it, it's fine, unless the filesystem shits itself with one of many data loss bugs" (which are slowly getting fixed, admittedly). I bet you use Arch.

I really hope you created the filesystem with "-m raid10 -d raid10"

Kachunkachunk posted:

Basically the versatility and independence of traditional hardware or software RAID is what's so enticing. I don't even care about the snapshot and dedupe capabilities.
mdraid already does this. You don't need btrfs. And "traditional hardware RAID" is anything but versatile and independent. It's more like "your controller died; replace it with a model 2 weeks newer because the old one isn't available; lose all your data". If you don't care about snapshotting and dedupe, you're probably better served with mdraid, which already does parity and flatly is "traditional software RAID".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Why do people insist on calling SMB "CIFS" even though it's now clear Microsoft abandoned CIFS as the name for SMB.

gently caress, I was at a Microsoft training day and the two Microsoft guys doing the presentation had literally no idea what CIFS meant. I was sat there with a quiet growing need for drink, listening to these supposedly clever people showing me they were not.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HalloKitty posted:

Why do people insist on calling SMB "CIFS" even though it's now clear Microsoft abandoned CIFS as the name for SMB.

gently caress, I was at a Microsoft training day and the two Microsoft guys doing the presentation had literally no idea what CIFS meant. I was sat there with a quiet growing need for drink, listening to these supposedly clever people showing me they were not.

Because I'm crusty. Because Microsoft isn't the only company. Because CIFS was what Microsoft designated as "open" (even though even uses SMB in practice). It doesn't really matter what Microsoft wants it called these days, just like their constant rebranding of everything else doesn't change what people call it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
People do the poo poo I do because they don't know any better and haven't learned these processes and standards. It's something you have to take the time to learn and appreciate; people would just want to get to the fun stuff sooner (getting the services working). Doesn't make it right, no.
I also use Ubuntu, but I do find the Arch folks pretty informative and helpful.

Is mdraid actually able to hot-migrate stripes off to other devices? I haven't found much on this yet.
Depending on the storage pool/tier, BTRFS volumes had been set up as data-0 and metadata-10 for me, so I'm going bare-back with data protection (there are frequent backups however). With larger 3TB drives, I aim to do the RAID-5 equivalent in BTRFS, as a slower but longer-term tier.

The iSCSI stuff in my case is pretty much going to be set up for two ESXi servers (VMFS5) and a Windows client OS (NTFS) or two, across different tiers and allocations. There will be some general CIFS and NFS use as well (hence fileio targets sitting on these larger filesystems).

It's really been functional for some time, but on a smaller scale. I mentioned using this before on my client system - load times are not appreciably any different to me despite what those [old] benchmarks could suggest, and even then we're talking about a few seconds of difference in the worst case (a single mechanical drive), and they do not account for drive thrash/access times. Windows 7 booting in 90 seconds? I have Windows 7 VMs that boot in less than half that over NFS on a 1Gbps link, sitting on three mechanical disks. I cannot recall transfer rates. I never hit 100% network utilization for anything (including gaming, booting of VMs, etc) except multi-GB file transfers.
I think you'd see even a basic two-drive RAID-0 under gigabit iSCSI, CIFS, or NFS would outperform a single local mechanical disk for loading anything once you start heading outward on the platter.

Anyway, a lot of what you mention fits Agrikk's intended setup, and they are important to consider. Because WoW handles network drive maps just fine, it could make more sense figuring out all the quirks with having four clients use the same game directory. It may require some creativity, making sure all the clients read the same data and write different, unique data elsewhere (and to safely store it). It'd be more efficient than as separate targets unless the caching hurdles are overcome.

I did have one question for you/the masses: I'm not entirely sure which iSCSI target would be best for the ESXi boxes yet. If I'm recalling correctly, ietd is not suited due to the way it handles multiple initiators to one target/device. I looked at and ran LIO as well, but I'm generally undecided so far. At the moment the ESXi hosts are playing with LeftHand VSAs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I might just go ahead and post my Lab megathread tomorrow and then follow up the network bit with PSYdude's stuff when he finishes.

I think you are over thinking the lab's design here.

Here is my lab currently rebuilding, after my oh so awsome drive failures I just went out and bought all new drives and started from scratch

here is the logical overview of it, I also have 20GB host cache

I hope it helps, I mean this is my dedicated lab box but I could totally throw in 2 or so more 1TB HDD's and profision some NFS shares for my PC or what not..

As for your ISCSI stuff? It sounds like a cool idea that will yield nothing but data loss, and screwy errors. I mean seriously keep your lab as self containted as possible because it IS a lab poo poo can and will happen to make it blow up

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 6, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kachunkachunk posted:

People do the poo poo I do because they don't know any better and haven't learned these processes and standards. It's something you have to take the time to learn and appreciate; people would just want to get to the fun stuff sooner (getting the services working). Doesn't make it right, no.
I also use Ubuntu, but I do find the Arch folks pretty informative and helpful.
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be argumentative or condescending. It's simply so much easier to write services for upstart or systemd than sysv that I have no idea why people live with the warts of having unreliable service startup

Kachunkachunk posted:

Is mdraid actually able to hot-migrate stripes off to other devices? I haven't found much on this yet.
Yes in that it can replace existing devices. No in the sense that it's really bad at shrinking sets. Still, I named it because it's RAID. BTRFS is an imporvement.

Kachunkachunk posted:

The iSCSI stuff in my case is pretty much going to be set up for two ESXi servers (VMFS5) and a Windows client OS (NTFS) or two, across different tiers and allocations. There will be some general CIFS and NFS use as well (hence fileio targets sitting on these larger filesystems).
iSCSI and NFS are pretty performance-equivalent with VMFS. Pick whichever you prefer.

Kachunkachunk posted:

It's really been functional for some time, but on a smaller scale. I mentioned using this before on my client system - load times are not appreciably any different to me despite what those [old] benchmarks could suggest, and even then we're talking about a few seconds of difference in the worst case (a single mechanical drive), and they do not account for drive thrash/access times. Windows 7 booting in 90 seconds? I have Windows 7 VMs that boot in less than half that over NFS on a 1Gbps link, sitting on three mechanical disks. I cannot recall transfer rates. I never hit 100% network utilization for anything (including gaming, booting of VMs, etc) except multi-GB file transfers.
Honestly, I intentionally used old benchmarks to demonstrate the effect of HD speed. To be sure, faster CPU caches and memory buses have greatly improved boot times as well, but in the sense that application loading times have a lot to do with HD performance, and that sustained load times are easily possible for large applications (Shogun 2 is a good example, no matter the age)

Kachunkachunk posted:

I think you'd see even a basic two-drive RAID-0 under gigabit iSCSI, CIFS, or NFS would outperform a single local mechanical disk for loading anything once you start heading outward on the platter.
It would, yes.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway, a lot of what you mention fits Agrikk's intended setup, and they are important to consider. Because WoW handles network drive maps just fine, it could make more sense figuring out all the quirks with having four clients use the same game directory. It may require some creativity, making sure all the clients read the same data and write different, unique data elsewhere (and to safely store it). It'd be more efficient than as separate targets unless the caching hurdles are overcome.
WoW writes client data to per-login directories. Won't be a problem.

Kachunkachunk posted:

I did have one question for you/the masses: I'm not entirely sure which iSCSI target would be best for the ESXi boxes yet. If I'm recalling correctly, ietd is not suited due to the way it handles multiple initiators to one target/device. I looked at and ran LIO as well, but I'm generally undecided so far. At the moment the ESXi hosts are playing with LeftHand VSAs.

IETD and SCST are both file. So's Lefthand. So's Comstar. Use whichever you're most comfortable configuring, really. I'd use tgtd as a default, because Red Hat

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread.

So I've started working at a small company that does your usual IT work for small to medium businesses. Most of them don't want to go down the path of paying for esx thus most are relying on the free version. So has anyone migrated from ESXi to XEN? or even Citrix Xenserver? what where your experience with it and in the end was it worth it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

dj_pain posted:

Most of them don't want to go down the path of paying for esx thus most are relying on the free version.
You can't even sell them on Essentials? It's like $180 a host.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

dj_pain posted:

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread.

So I've started working at a small company that does your usual IT work for small to medium businesses. Most of them don't want to go down the path of paying for esx thus most are relying on the free version. So has anyone migrated from ESXi to XEN? or even Citrix Xenserver? what where your experience with it and in the end was it worth it?

Essentials covers 3 hosts AND support. Many people forget you have VMware support with essentials which is ~600 bucks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So, I think that using tiered storage pools, Windows will actually balance the data across the drives in the pool. I'm trying to do this in 8.1 preview in VirtualBox 4.2.x. I have a drive pool with two disks in it that are ~93% full, and I am getting ready to add my "SSD tier" drive to the mirrored pool. As data moves between the hot (ssd) and cold (hdd) tiers it should auto-balance.

Here's what I have so far;

And this is what it should look like. Actual drive performance doesn't matter, I just need Windows to recognize two of the drives as HDDs and "PhysicalDisk3" as a SSD logically.

Can I set the drive labeled as an SSD at the Virtualbox level that Windows will recognize (Win7 is smart enough to recognize SSDs and handle them differently with defrag, etc), or do I need to brute force it tinker around in Disk Management or powershell to get this accomplished?

edit: additional backstory - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514738&pagenumber=59#post417186341

edit: found what I was looking for

Microsoft contractor posted:

Get-PhysicalDisk
$disks = Get-PhysicalDisk |? {$_.CanPool -eq $true}
New-StoragePool -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Spaces* -FriendlyName TieredPool -PhysicalDisks $disks
Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName TieredPool | Get-PhysicalDisk | Select FriendlyName, MediaType
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk1 -MediaType SSD
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk5 -MediaType SSD
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk6 -MediaType SSD
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk2 -MediaType HDD
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk3 -MediaType HDD
Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName PhysicalDisk4 -MediaType HDD
$ssd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD
$hdd_tier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD
$vd1 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName VirtualMachines -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier, $hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes @(30GB, 1.1TB) -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 5GB
$vd2 = New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool -FriendlyName HD -Size 30TB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -ProvisioningType Thin -WriteCacheSize 20GB
Set-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName HD -WriteCacheSize 21GB

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 7, 2013

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Essentials covers 3 hosts AND support. Many people forget you have VMware support with essentials which is ~600 bucks.

The lowest price I've found is $1100AU per host. :australia:

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

dj_pain posted:

The lowest price I've found is $1100AU per host. :australia:

Essentials (not Essentials Plus) is 821 AUD with first year support

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

ragzilla posted:

Essentials (not Essentials Plus) is 821 AUD with first year support

:O well then guess im not going to waste time on xen.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

evol262 posted:

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be argumentative or condescending. It's simply so much easier to write services for upstart or systemd than sysv that I have no idea why people live with the warts of having unreliable service startup
Hey, all good. Thank you, if anything. Honestly, you took some of your time to put out some great information (and gave a nice broken-down example for my service upstart ignorance/laziness), so it's really all appreciated. I'm sure Agrikk and others also found your posts helpful and informative.

evol262 posted:

WoW writes client data to per-login directories. Won't be a problem.
I'm estimating only add-on subdirectories would receive writes, specifically - I'm 70% sure (thus not so sure; I don't play anymore) that it still dumps addon/plugin data in the WoW folder itself and not user profile. It could get nasty if multiple clients wrote there and overwrote stats/configuration, but it could also be desired. Not hard to re-unique the directory for each client. Oh and better ensure only one client tries to patch up if they're sharing the same directory. Small user-side practice.
Agrikk, if you haven't decided already, it really looks to make more sense to go with CIFS/SMB instead of iSCSI for the WoW data.

evol262 posted:

IETD and SCST are both file. So's Lefthand. So's Comstar. Use whichever you're most comfortable configuring, really. I'd use tgtd as a default, because Red Hat
Doing a bit of backtracking, IET literally had some supportability issues and/or bugs involving SCSI reservations (it's just not compliant, per some random user posts/writing). It'd be why Openfiler went away from IET (at least by default) some time ago. It's still the simplest to set up, and fine for single initiator to target mappings, however.
TGTD is pretty great - a colleague that runs a few datacenters swears by it. I also read that LIO is going to become standard for Red Hat, but I have no idea if this is true. Closest I'd be able to get to RH is CentOS.

On my build, it looks like the Foxconn board I bought (Renaissance II) sadly lacked a decent PCI-E configuration (despite marketed slot size/count) and refused to acknowledge or map adapters while installed in certain slots and/or combinations. 10Gb and SAS/SATA adapters would sloppily appear and disappear from the system between boots, hang the system during boot, or refuse to appear if others were present. It ended up being a huge waste of time. I'm guessing a lot of it had to do with how many slots were PCI-E 2.0 or 1.0-compliant, versus what the cards actually needed. I'm partially blaming it on being a PEBCAK/RTFM issue, though, as "PCIE" != "PCIE2" no matter how hard you want it to be.

Here's what I ended up ordering a moment ago - it had to be an older uniprocessor LGA 1366-based board so I can use an existing CPU: http://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x8st3f-motherboard-review - seems to be the best I could find. It's turning out to be a nice little gem is that it not only sports enough PCI-E 2.0 slots, it also removes the need of my LSI 1068-based PCI-E adapter (since it's now on-board) and has IPMI and a BMC (lights-out remote management). :yum:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a ESX 4.0 cluster with 3 hosts (actually there are 4, but the last one is for 'failover' and my boss said we'll power it up when one of the others fail). I can't connect vCenter to the individual hosts, just the cluster which is 'vc01'. I also don't see the Users/Groups tab anywhere. I'm assuming it works different because it's a cluster?

I'm just trying to enable SNMP so I can get the hosts monitored in cacti. vicfg-snmp.pl gives me either:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-snmp.pl --vihost vc01
--username administrator --enable
Error connecting to server at 'https://localhost/sdk/webService': Perhaps host i
s not a Virtual Center or ESX server

or if I try the individual servers:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-snmp.pl --server 128.
1.6.11 --enable --username administrator
Enter password:
Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Bob Morales posted:

We have a ESX 4.0 cluster with 3 hosts (actually there are 4, but the last one is for 'failover' and my boss said we'll power it up when one of the others fail). I can't connect vCenter to the individual hosts, just the cluster which is 'vc01'. I also don't see the Users/Groups tab anywhere. I'm assuming it works different because it's a cluster?

The permissions tab correlates to the users/groups tab.

You can enable SNMP through Host -> Configuration -> Software -> Security Profile -> Services.

I don't have any ESX 4.0 hosts anymore, but it should be in that general area.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

three posted:

The permissions tab correlates to the users/groups tab.

You can enable SNMP through Host -> Configuration -> Software -> Security Profile -> Services.

I don't have any ESX 4.0 hosts anymore, but it should be in that general area.

I've done that step but no data is returned.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot if we were talking about that Stanly.edu cheap-ish VMware certified training community college in here or in the Cert thread, but my name just came up on the waiting list. For $185US I'm going to sign up.

If I wasn't already semi convinced this was a good deal, the disorganization of their signup procedure would totally put me off. Their signup form is a google forms page :|

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Martytoof posted:

I forgot if we were talking about that Stanly.edu cheap-ish VMware certified training community college in here or in the Cert thread, but my name just came up on the waiting list. For $185US I'm going to sign up.

If I wasn't already semi convinced this was a good deal, the disorganization of their signup procedure would totally put me off. Their signup form is a google forms page :|

If it's a qualifying course, for $185 I'd send in my info on a cocktail napkin.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crackbone posted:

If it's a qualifying course, for $185 I'd send in my info on a cocktail napkin.

Yeap: "SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam."

2 weeks to process my entry so I'll let you guys know.

I think a bunch of you also said you were signing up around the same time as me. Check your spam folder if you did, because gmail routed that poo poo right into the toilet. Or add "Jana Kennedy <jkennedy7709@stanly.edu>" to your safe senders list.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

I've done that step but no data is returned.

What's the build number of that 4.0

Also any reason not 4.1?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat, I thought I was getting a steal at 219 for my course this fall.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

skipdogg posted:

drat, I thought I was getting a steal at 219 for my course this fall.

That's still a really good price. Online?

It's actually been like a year and change since I even touched vSphere so this will actually be a re-learning experience for me. Hopefully for $180-something I get a good instructor online. Time to go pick up some CBT either way.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Geez, now the class I help out in feels expensive at 660.

Hope it all works out, that price sounds really good to be true.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Capitalist pig.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! That was my initial thought too, but googling it gives several positive accounts from a bunch fo places like techexams.net. I imagine a lot of people are taking the course just for the VCP classroom component, but I'm hoping it's actually a quality course. At any rate, I'll keep you guys up to date if anyone is interested, otherwise I'll end my mini derail :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Martytoof posted:

Yeap: "SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam."

2 weeks to process my entry so I'll let you guys know.

I think a bunch of you also said you were signing up around the same time as me. Check your spam folder if you did, because gmail routed that poo poo right into the toilet. Or add "Jana Kennedy <jkennedy7709@stanly.edu>" to your safe senders list.

Thanks for the heads up, I got mine last week in the spam folder apparently.