Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sono posted:

See, I'm the idea man...

Which apparently they've outsourced as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Some people want to buy the IPs that Atari owns. Not a bad idea in and of itself, but of course it's Flexible Funding so they get to keep all the money they get whether or not they raise enough to actually buy anything.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jul 6, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Some people want to buy the IPs that Atari owns. Not a bad idea in and of itself, but of course it's Flexible Funding so they get to keep all the money they get whether or not they raise enough to actually buy anything.

If there was a way, I would Kickstart buying Battle Tanx back for that game to come back. Brood Queens for life.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

quote:

This campaign is raising funds on behalf of American Southern University Inc, a verified nonprofit. The campaign does not necessarily reflect the views of the nonprofit or have any formal association with it. All contributions are considered unrestricted gifts and can't be specified for any particular purpose.

This particular project has been authorized by the ASU leadership team and is considered an official initiative of that organization.

This seems fairly contradictory. :confused:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The General posted:

This seems fairly contradictory. :confused:

It means the people running the kickstarter will buy the Atari game rights for that organization, but they aren't actually part of that organization.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Going to AmericanSouthernUniversity.org suggests that this whole thing is some guy in a basement.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am always kind of surprised what kinds of Kickstarter ads people buy for the forum.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

Infection: First Contact posted:

A choose your own adventure visual novel that puts you as the protagonist making the choices that dictate this thriller.

I think the picture sums things up.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1265573872/shattered-glass-t-shirt-project

Shattered glass t-shirt 'project'

People are basically just doing really effortless poo poo and asking for money at this point

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Nnep posted:

People are basically just doing really effortless poo poo and asking for money at this point

Most kickstarters of this kind are really good Crafts project ideas that you can do at home. Which is why they are lousy kickstarters.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Nnep posted:

And they're already funded. :psyduck:
Presumably by the laziest people to ever live, who can't just make these shirts themselves.
I mean really, it doesn't look that hard.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

I am always kind of surprised what kinds of Kickstarter ads people buy for the forum.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

As I Goon, this was the first place I picked to advertise. I'm not the artist and art is the main reason we are Kickstarting this project, but I'm not going to sit here and defend my project piece by piece. I'm going back to my non-stop working to make the Kickstarter page better. No matter how many times I looked over the preview, and how many people I showed it to and got constructive comments on, there are so many things I'm frantically working to ad and change.

Anyhow, this is not me angry or trying to defend myself- this is me posting to say I mean my promise. I will work to make my product the best it can be because I take pride in it and because someone putting their faith in my product deserves that. For now though, I'm working non stop to update the page to show that I'm taking that promise seriously. I'm glad I saw my project posted here, it lets me know I'm right in refining and improving the page.

Anyhow, you guys rock, learned a lot of lessons from you all and keep on learning them. This post must read like a guy running on four hours of sleep is writing it, because, well, you know, I am. New goals set, to go from posted in this thread to incorrectly posted in this thread (since its for bad ones).

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

And they're already funded. :psyduck:
Presumably by the laziest people to ever live, who can't just make these shirts themselves.
I mean really, it doesn't look that hard.

Having shattered glass everywhere sucks. I can see why they'd do it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Rapdawg posted:

As I Goon, this was the first place I picked to advertise. I'm not the artist and art is the main reason we are Kickstarting this project, but I'm not going to sit here and defend my project piece by piece. I'm going back to my non-stop working to make the Kickstarter page better. No matter how many times I looked over the preview, and how many people I showed it to and got constructive comments on, there are so many things I'm frantically working to ad and change.

Anyhow, this is not me angry or trying to defend myself- this is me posting to say I mean my promise. I will work to make my product the best it can be because I take pride in it and because someone putting their faith in my product deserves that. For now though, I'm working non stop to update the page to show that I'm taking that promise seriously. I'm glad I saw my project posted here, it lets me know I'm right in refining and improving the page.

Anyhow, you guys rock, learned a lot of lessons from you all and keep on learning them. This post must read like a guy running on four hours of sleep is writing it, because, well, you know, I am. New goals set, to go from posted in this thread to incorrectly posted in this thread (since its for bad ones).

If your project relies heavily on paid art then you need to take the plunge and pay out for a good artist to begin with. For a visual novel you need to have a few basic sprites or pages already drawn up for your examples, else you're hoping people are going to give you money for nothing. Whoever you hired for that splash image isn't at the quality they need to be for a realistic based game, and you'd get funding a lot easier if it was cartoony or anime. I mean none of those people are drawn in the same style, use the same palette and there's no backgrounds that show off what kind of setting they're in.

You also have no demo and no short to show off. Your intro video is just dudes talking at the screen. If you want people to fund your project you need a project to show off!

You have two artists (one too many) and I would fire both of them and just hire one competent one for freelance work. Get a working demo that plays for at least 1 hour long done. Get something you can pitch.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Rapdawg posted:

The concept is interesting enough but there's some issues you should work on. One is no clear example of prior work. How do I know you CAN take a project from beginning to end? Or as VN's are naturally text reliant what about examples of writing? I hate to say it but naming your ship the Yellowjacket, I know is a reference, but makes it seem like a cheap Firefly knock off. There's very little solid evidence here of anyone on the team being able to excel at this kind of project. It currently screams "idea" rather than "impending product". If you've read the thread I know you'd know better than to put up an "idea's man" kickstarter, but you really need to offer evidence to the contrary.

Also it's odd the art that IS shown because the art on the portfolios of the artist's is far better. Not sure if those are wip or if the artist's just didn't give it their all. I would seriously hope that the provided art is scrapped because it screams Amateur wannabe Japanese VN. The kind that has spelling errors, detailed bloodtypes, and accidental inescapable dialog loops. The fact is that Anime Art, is not nearly as popular in the US. It also does not have the same connotations. In Japan it's just a feature of the landscape, here it can be actively distracting. You'll like a VN despite the art. Not because of. You want to make a Western VN? Go with art that's a bit more western. Maybe less giraffe necks.

You don't even have video of a prototype, the example given is of someone's bedroom. There are tons of VN Makers out there. Even if that'd not suit your needs and you'd want to use a custom engine, you still could have put some of your assets into one just to properly show it off.

Honestly, you should have linked your post content here I feel. I know at least I'd have been more than happy to give these comments before you went live.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A big thing which indie game devs looking to finally do a "big project" gently caress up on all the time is trying to get all the art assets lined up BEFORE they prototype. Make a short but playable prototype first and have your artist then do up some artwork into the blanks you left. Then you have something you can actually show people in a video. Asking for money is easier when you have something like that to show. It doesn't matter if you end up throwing everything from the prototype out and start from scratch once you get funded.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Death Himself posted:

A big thing which indie game devs looking to finally do a "big project" gently caress up on all the time is trying to get all the art assets lined up BEFORE they prototype. Make a short but playable prototype first and have your artist then do up some artwork into the blanks you left. Then you have something you can actually show people in a video. Asking for money is easier when you have something like that to show. It doesn't matter if you end up throwing everything from the prototype out and start from scratch once you get funded.

You can cut costs for the art in the demo though. Make the tutorial/intro sequence and only introduce two or three characters, as well as putting them in only a very small handful of settings. Then you don't have to pay a large amount of cash for all the work. If I was contracted for something like that I could probably charge $500-1000 depending on how detailed they wanted it, and if they were smart, they could get away with doing it all for $250-500.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You can cut costs for the art in the demo though. Make the tutorial/intro sequence and only introduce two or three characters, as well as putting them in only a very small handful of settings. Then you don't have to pay a large amount of cash for all the work. If I was contracted for something like that I could probably charge $500-1000 depending on how detailed they wanted it, and if they were smart, they could get away with doing it all for $250-500.

Heck, you could probably get away with a lot of black and white and sketches and only have the demo route protagonist in color or something. Potentially bad idea, but there have been a lot of forum based CYOAs in the past. They are much closer to DMing than writing a story and I don't know if they're in a style you'd want to do, but reading one or two of them might not be a bad idea.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Death Himself posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing now. I'm sorry for skipping over the other posts, I'll answer all of you later- but right now I'm doing just that, getting up just that video. Thank you all for your comments, I really mean that. Now then, before I go back to running around:
  • Visual Novel is reliant on text, art, and music. Our writer does have previous experience, and we have numerous editors that are drat good. I'll make sure to add that in 2.0 as soon as I frantically get it up.
  • I'm using filler images in the video, because the way we've done this so far is we have it written and programmed so scenes are in numbered blocks and final art can be slipped in easy. This will be stressed in the video.
  • Our artists are working at incredibly reasonable prices, and they are talented. I'm really lucky to have them. I'm going to get the prototype demo up ASAP to show that we have a game, and we have quality artists I'm proud of.

I'm going back to rushing now, but thanks all of you again. Also, you are the protagonist- you never see yourself except if you are in a suit. The art shown, well, not sure what you are pointing to but the there are issues with resolution that are a bit daunting. Issues from the web side, issues I'm going to fix.

Will be back, just want to stress again I'm reading all of these posts and am out working non-stop because of them.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Rapdawg's kickstarter posted:

The Player - You are the most important character in this work, and it is you who drives the action of this story. Starting out as errand boy on the ship, your pivotal role ultimately dictates the narrative.

In this ground breaking kickstarter you play a game and YOU ARE THE MAIN CHARACTER! (Ground breaking video game!)

Edit: How does shipping work with kickstarter? Its $50 shipping to outside U.S, being from Canada that seems a bit ridiculous

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jul 6, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

I think the picture sums things up.

It sort of brings to mind when the first Half-life caused a boom in Mod but just like Kickstarter a majority of the attempts were amateur all the way to selling the idea
with a few pieces of concept art. So you would have piles and piles of Mods, but only a small percentage of them got finished in a professional way.

Kickstarter is even somewhat more demanding since the creators are expecting people to commit actual money to the project. So projects can get away with a more barebones
initial sell but it tends to be because they already have a resume of completed projects such as working on golden age PC games.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I know this doesn't strictly follow the theme of this thread, but I thought it was still kind of fitting:

Somehow, Tim Schafer's Adventure Game Needs More Money

The 3 million-dollar Double Fine Adventure Game Kickstarter that raised around 8x the original funding threshold turns out to not have been enough money after all.

(Sorry if someone's already posted about this, I CTRL + F'd the last few pages for Double Fine and didn't see anything)

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Instant Grat posted:

I know this doesn't strictly follow the theme of this thread, but I thought it was still kind of fitting:

The 3 million-dollar Double Fine Adventure Game Kickstarter that raised around 8x the original funding threshold turns out to not have been enough money after all.

(Sorry if someone's already posted about this, I CTRL + F'd the last few pages for Double Fine and didn't see anything)

Why did they ask for funding for a second game if they couldn't even finish the first game?

Some of these Kickstarter projects seem like a huge scam.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Supreme Power posted:

Why did they ask for funding for a second game if they couldn't even finish the first game?

Some of these Kickstarter projects seem like a huge scam.

Doublefine is a company with multiple teams.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

With the budget ballooning like that (and the game being pushed back to 2015) I can really understand why Tim Schafer has trouble getting funding from publishers for adventure games, and it's certainly not because publishers are unwilling to fund anything in the genre.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Srice posted:

With the budget ballooning like that (and the game being pushed back to 2015) I can really understand why Tim Schafer has trouble getting funding from publishers for adventure games, and it's certainly not because publishers are unwilling to fund anything in the genre.

This shows a major flaw in many of these large scale crowd funded projects, a severe lack of financial accountability.

While it may suck that game big developers and publishers are hardasses about this sort of stuff there is a reason for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

The narrative that game designers are all brilliant, flawless, wide-eyed geniuses who would create perfect games when left to their own devices but are ruined by the stuffy, inept publishers greedily push games out the door unfinished is really childish and naive and it irritates me how widespread and accepted it is in the gaming community.

This is a thing that Tim Schafer has a history of doing. Grim Fandango killed the adventure game genre because it was a bloated and expensive project running on a custom engine and the numbers for adventure games just weren't there to make up for that kind of expenditure. Psychonauts was originally being published by Microsoft as an Xbox exclusive but it went over budget and past deadline and they dropped the project, where it was picked up by Majesco. Brumlautal Legend was an Activision joint that got dropped, again, because it went over budget and kept missing deadlines, and EA swooped in to let them polish what they had finished and push a game missing a good deal of content out the door.

Making small self-published games seemed to have been working well for them, but dangling all that Kickstarter money in front of Schafer seems to have reverted him back to his old ways. He even admits in the beginning of the update that this happened because of his inability to reign himself in and instead pushing for the game to be bigger and more epic in scope rather than reigning themselves in and working within their means.

TheJoker138 posted:

Doublefine is a company with multiple teams.

Be that as it may, it's still really scummy that they've known about this problem for a while now but conspicuously kept it from the public until right after their second Kickstarter ended.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Grim Fandango killed the adventure game genre because it was a bloated and expensive project running on a custom engine and the numbers for adventure games just weren't there to make up for that kind of expenditure.

It seems to be a bit stupid to throw "running on a custom engine" in there. Most games do still, and it was even more common to do so back in the 90s.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JossiRossi posted:

The concept is interesting enough but there's some issues you should work on. One is no clear example of prior work. How do I know you CAN take a project from beginning to end? Or as VN's are naturally text reliant what about examples of writing?

These are, for me, the biggest problems. I don't mind the anime art, I've played quite a few VNs, and the big thing that makes or breaks them is their art and writing. The art on the KS page is middling to below average, and I have absolutely no idea how you phrase things, present scenarios etc. I don't know how easy it'd be, but I will agree that you need to tell your artist to either step up their game or hire a new one, and maybe write some story bits (nothing too long, a few paragraphs or two, brevity being the soul of wit and all) so we can at least have a reasonable gauge of your writing chops.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Grim Fandango killed the adventure game genre because it was a bloated and expensive project running on a custom engine

What? No it didn't. When Grim came out the adventure game market was already going downhill, it wasn't some rusty knife shoved in the back of a healthy industry.

quote:

Be that as it may, it's still really scummy that they've known about this problem for a while now but conspicuously kept it from the public until right after their second Kickstarter ended.

Also they've been talking about this for at least a couple of months in the documentary, it's not like this is out of the blue.

Honestly I find it really disheartening to see the public reaction to the news that the plans were bigger than the budget. This happens all the time in games, but you never hear about it until well after the fact if at all. Huge sections of games get cut on a regular basis, I've been through it multiple times and it's always heart-rending. However, normally we only have the choice between cutting it or hoping we can convince the publisher to give us more money and/or time, but Tim has more flexibility in his situation so he's trying to explore alternative options.

I know this seems like I'm white-knighting here, but I think openness during development is a great thing that should be celebrated. Games development is locked down tight these days, and the overbearing secrecy of it all is counter-productive to morale and it means that gamers can't offer any input to games in development. People reacting to the realities of games development like this is just going to make people shy away from trying to do it in future, and that's not good for anyone.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Exmond posted:

In this ground breaking kickstarter you play a game and YOU ARE THE MAIN CHARACTER! (Ground breaking video game!)

Edit: How does shipping work with kickstarter? Its $50 shipping to outside U.S, being from Canada that seems a bit ridiculous

I'm not claiming to be ground breaking, I'm saying that I'm going to make the best product I can. Still working on video and a thousand other things, non-stop. Not complaining though, I knew this would take hard work from start to the middle to the end.

Shipping with Kickstarter was very weird with shipping, it asked for one number if something is offered outside of the US. Anywhere in the US, meaning that Joe Canada could ask for it (which is cheap) or that Mike Wong could ask for it costing a lot (had a friend in Taiwan who I shipped to once, was worth it but man it was costly.)

I'm looking into ways to change that, or figure out how to refund any of the shipping cost that is not used, but right now polishing up the art assets and showing how talented the people I'm working with is my main priority. gently caress, its one of like three priorities- video is big too. Might as well get an image mock up first while I work on the video.

I spent a long time finding people who I could afford and who I think are talented enough to make this game. I found an artist duo in Canada who work incredible together, someone who has written and directed films that I find top notch, and lastly I have two editors who are fantastic enough to have been English majors but sound minded enough to pick a more career friendly major.

I have not shown their talent enough, and I have not shown that this project is something more than another failed Visual Novel weaboo pipe dream. That is what I'm working non-stop to change, to show that, and I thank this thread for letting me know that. When my update to it all is done, I'll let you guys know. You've honestly been a fantastic help.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm still not getting why you didn't wait to put up the Kickstarter until you had some of this stuff. The only explanation I can think of is the delusion that "Hey, maybe people will flood us with money and we won't have to put in any actual effort."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rapdawg posted:

lastly I have two editors who are fantastic enough to have been English majors but sound minded enough to pick a more career friendly major.

You have to be a fantastic editor to be an English major now?

EDIT: had a look at the video and the project. Echoing what other people have said, the video is, I'm afraid, pretty poor. Maybe someone like Tim Schafer can get away with a talking heads video, but he has a soild history of producing great games and is a known personality in the industry. Until you're a Tim Schafer of a Peter Molyneux, keep to the background and let the game do the talking. If you don't have anything done from the game proper, show footage from your previous VN projects, or your working demo. If you don't have any previous VN projects OR a working demo, it's not kickstartin' time, it's "learn to make visual novels before asking for fifteen thousand dollars to make a visual novel" time. Also the outtakes were entirely unnecessary and the choppy editing was a horrible choice.

When you say the game is "written", do you mean you have a working game that can be played the entire way through but just has placeholder stick-figure art, or do you mean you have a script written and are still waiting to get the programming bit done? If it's the former, then show it in the video! You can have the artists do some sketchy portraits for a short test section out of your own pocket and move on to fully finished art in the final game if you get funded. That way at least you can show a working game in the video. If you don't have a working game, then do that NOW, then at least if the kickstarter fails you can put it out with public domain art or MS paint doodles or something for free, and the statement that the only thing preventing the games release is the lack of art assets will actually be true.

$50 for shipping is laughable. I don't care what it would take to ship to Singapore, most of your foreign customers WON'T be in Singapore, they'll be mostly from Canada, a lot from the UK, some from the rest of Europe and a few from Australia, South Africa and other smaller English speaking countries. Checking a random kickstarter, even shipping a heavy graphic novel is only priced as $30, a game is a much smaller object and if you produce the game as a DVD in a cardboard slipcase you'd be able to ship at letter rates, not parcel rates, and shipping would be even less. Shipping a DVD in a cardboard slipcase from the US to the UK is not $50.

Your artists seem alright, from the portfolios they seem to lack experience and are still developing as artists but they can definitely draw; I presume they are quite young? I agree with other goons though, the collaborative portrait of the five main characters is absolutely horrible. If that's what we'll see in the game then I'd dump the "realistic" colouring style altogether, the picture you have done in that style doesn't work, and flat colouring is much more cost effective.

Why is the 3DS option before the Android option? This game seems like it would be much more at home on Android devices, and the $20,000 goal is to apply for the dev kit, not necessarily actually have the game on 3DS.

You mention one of the things preventing the game being released is music. You mention music is expensive. That's all you say about the music. Who will be writing it? Will you be commissioning original compositions or will you be licensing pieces like Braid did?

Your website says "One major goal of this work was to explore themes of nationality, race, religion, and sexuality all against the backdrop of a futuristic space adventure". Your kickstarter doesn't. Why? Have you changed your minds?

You say there are few women on the ship. In your cast list, I count four men and three women (four if you count the nurse which has a very feminine look in the character design picture, even if you say the "face plates" can be changed), and one of those men is the player, where you want to include a female option. That's close enough to an even split, and these are the only characters you mention, if there are more it is not made clear that this is the case. Contradictions like this make the pitch seem really amateurish. Also it's hard to pin down, but the wording of the pitch, especially the character blurbs, is really lifeless and flat and does not inspire confidence that the game will have top notch writing.

Your ship design doesn't look like it would hold a lot of cargo. I'm seriously nitpicking now, but go look at cargo ships in real life, and cargo-based space ship designs from movies and other games. You'll notice they have enormous cargo holds, or act as tugs for huge containers. Your ship looks like a bubbly little gradius fighter. It's not a huge thing, but it kinda betrays a lack of thought and consideration.

You say very little about the actual story, even the premise. A Thriller where "On a cargo ship in space, something goes wrong". That's technically the plot of Alien, but look at the original theatrical trailer for Alien, it gets over a hell of a lot more about what the movie will feel like without huge infodumps and masses of spoilers. Short, succinct descriptions of what the story is LIKE are far more appealing than long character bios, I should find out the captain misses his family through play, not be told it in a blurb, and I DEFINITELY don't need to know it at the pitch stage. Show don't Tell. You're trying to sell me on a concept, not show me all the clever worldbuilding you've been doing, that's for later. Knowing whether or not the spaceship has a robot nurse is irrelevant at this stage.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Jul 7, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

First off, you make the huge mistake that every "creative" does when they're pitching their pet project -- you are personally invested in your imagined universe and spit out a mile of poo poo that nobody cares about. I have NO IDEA what the plot of this thing is other than "There's an infection, since it's called Infection, and it's a "Sci-Fi Thriller". Work on an elevator pitch -- why do I give a poo poo about this story? I shouldn't have to read Character Bios to find out *anything* about it.

I skimmed and ended up reading (and hating) the Characters section.

1) Bad writing. Everything is repetitive and full of abstract meaningless :words:. "your pivotal role ultimately dictates the narrative." "A passionate revolutionary, he is a character with strong opinions and stronger motivations."

2) You didn't do any research. You invented the "Engineer" and then described an actual Boatswain. You picked Boatswain out of a hat (because it sounds cool?) and then completely misdefined it as your "captain's right hand man".

3) lovely gender politics. The Nav Tech is "One of the few women on the ship" and is, of course, dressed in boob armor with a bare midriff and tight pants. I'm praying that I'm reading between the lines incorrectly with "nurse" and "A re-purposed entertainment bot" but please tell me you're not writing in "a pleasure model :reddit:" Ugh.

4) "The Dog - Mascot character and lovable member of the crew. Do you believe in Dog?"
Nope, I don't.

EDIT: Jesus loving christ you weasel

Risks posted:

Our game is already written, and it is written in pieces that allow us to program it in nearly any language and adapt it to different systems because of this piece system. The main thing stopping us from putting out game out now is our lack of art assets and music, two rather expensive things.

So basically you came up with a story. You don't have code, even though you imply you do. I don't know if you mean programming language or linguistic language, but either way you're not going to magically "program it in nearly any language" without an actual programmer, an actual codebase, or alternatively multiple translators. Not Google Translate.

The main risk, according to you, is the lack of any actual parts of a game. Code. Visuals. Music.

lament.cfg has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jul 7, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Rapdawg posted:

I spent a long time finding people who I could afford and who I think are talented enough to make this game. I found an artist duo in Canada who work incredible together, someone who has written and directed films that I find top notch, and lastly I have two editors who are fantastic enough to have been English majors but sound minded enough to pick a more career friendly major.

See this is why we're ragging on you about the art aspect. VN's are made up of two crucial things - the art and the writing. If the art is good some people are going to be able to play through a lovely game to get to the sex sequences. If it's got good writing, people are going to be willing to play through terrible graphics to get to the endings (ie Higurashi).

You cannot cheap out on graphics if your story is weak. The fact that "affordable" was a big selling point to you for hiring artists is really bad. You should be looking for artists with big names, or experience with these kinds of graphics to do the work. Almost all of the character illustrations can be done from one base drawing and change the expressions and a hand or two, but it takes a lot more skill to do backgrounds, full illustrations and character designs. If you are looking to make this a successful PRODUCT and not your baby project about fanfiction you wrote when you were 14, you need to make good BUSINESS designs. If the market pays out more for anime styled graphics than that's what you need to do.

No offense but if you need a two people team to make one finished character drawing something is wrong. Nobody should need a dedicated colourist to finish their work for them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, seriously. Colorists are a thing for comics because of some restrictions of the medium(extremely short turn around times, maintaining consistency in visual identity across multiple artists on a single title, different printing processes/paper types handling colors differently, etc), but you really shouldn't need one for a VN.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I didn't check the levels but I just noticed the Nurse's blurb says people who pay high enough get their face added to the face plate cycle for her.

How much does this guy expect someone to pay to be a distorted face on a robot I assume you nail?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My girlfriend alerted me to this one. Press Start. A 2 player "8-bit tabletop battle" game (which you can expand with every new deck you buy!). What's not to love about it? It has lovely edited Megaman sprites, REALLY lovely 8-bit sprites, a decent number of cards show NES cartridges. Oh, and the rules state you can play attack cards if you have a hero, it seems rather easy to lose your first hero, the combat rules are clunky as hell, and it seems rather easy to kill your opponent's hero, then just attack twice more and win by default.

Also, there's a Cthulhu card. Because why the gently caress not apparently.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Randalor posted:

My girlfriend alerted me to this one. Press Start. A 2 player "8-bit tabletop battle" game (which you can expand with every new deck you buy!). What's not to love about it? It has lovely edited Megaman sprites, REALLY lovely 8-bit sprites, a decent number of cards show NES cartridges. Oh, and the rules state you can play attack cards if you have a hero, it seems rather easy to lose your first hero, the combat rules are clunky as hell, and it seems rather easy to kill your opponent's hero, then just attack twice more and win by default.

What a boring and skilless game.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Randalor posted:

I guess it's cheap, if it's a horrible game to play you don't lose much.

And at least they're only charging 7 bucks for international shipping, not FIFTY. Seriously goon dude, 50 dollars to ship me a DVD of your lovely Visual Novel and a press kit (whatever that entails)? You're avin' a larf mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What if the 'press kit' comes with one of those hats with a card reading "PRESS" sticking out of the band, and your own notepad and pencil? That's what's driving the shipping rate up!