Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not sure how I missed him doing it as a full roast. I think I scrolled down too fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got a slow cooker and have made some curry and chili recipes in it, but it always comes out really watery, even if I don't add the additional water that the recipes call for. How do I thicken it up without overcooking it?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

404notfound posted:

I got a slow cooker and have made some curry and chili recipes in it, but it always comes out really watery, even if I don't add the additional water that the recipes call for. How do I thicken it up without overcooking it?

What recipes are you following? It's hard to fix a recipe without seeing it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I would imagine that the lids on slowcookers prevent a lot of the evaporation that normally goes on, which is why these dishes come out more watery (especially if the recipe isn't specifically a slow cooker dish). This isn't really an answer on how to fix it, but maybe just a reason for the cause. Knowing nothing about the specific recipes my first thoughts would be to thicken with a cornstarch slurry, cook uncovered to reduce the liquid, or strain off a portion of said liquid.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

404notfound posted:

I always cook chili on the stove in a pot with a lid, or curry in a wok-like pot with a lid. I'm no expert on it all, but I do reckon it's important to monitor your moisture levels frequently throughout the day. In my experience, those types of foods don't do well in an environment where you just let them go and forget about them. I always do a several-stage process where the ingredients go in at certain times, so maybe the recipes you're using specifically might be helpful to understand what's going on.

To take a stab at it, you might take your crocpot lid off as it's cooking to let out some of the steam and monitor the moisture level. You can try boiling it off at the end, but I'm not sure that'd produce the texture you want.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Here's two things that I've tried:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-00000000049528/
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/slow-cooker-vegetable-curry/

They both come out more like soups than the thicker consistency of chili or curry. I'll try making one of them again but with the lid off for maybe the last half hour or so. Hopefully the stuff on top won't dry out.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

404notfound posted:

Here's two things that I've tried:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-00000000049528/
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/slow-cooker-vegetable-curry/

They both come out more like soups than the thicker consistency of chili or curry. I'll try making one of them again but with the lid off for maybe the last half hour or so. Hopefully the stuff on top won't dry out.

The chili recipe sounds kinda bad on a few levels. This is all preference, but I'd add more heat and spice (to taste: more cumin, more chili powder, half the cocoa [it's just to counteract the acidity of the tomato], some smoked paprika, some black pepper to give an initial spike of spice before the slow-grow heat sets in) to it, maybe jalapenos and/or real chilis that you boil out.

If you don't want to mash/blend your own tomatoes to a paste, you might try using tomato paste and a can of Rotel or some other tomato/chili blend to get both the thicker texture and the chunks of veg effect. I have no idea why the sweet potato is there except in some cruel way to thicken the sauce with starch, which means you'd want to break it up. I also don't like the idea of corn starch. I'd rather reduce real tomatoes.

You should keep an eye on it and taste it as it grows and the spices cook out, and you can always add a little water if it gets too dry. But tossing it all in the pot and letting it steam for several hours is just going to get you a weird tomato soup with soggy veg in it. I'd say just cook it with the lid off (or use a proper pot) and keep an eye on it. It's worth it.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
Is there a good resource to get slow cooker recipes? I used allrecipes.ca and a lot of the stuff I tried didn't come out great. I mostly want easy to make stuff for eating at work and sometimes at home.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anhedonia posted:

Is there a good resource to get slow cooker recipes? I used allrecipes.ca and a lot of the stuff I tried didn't come out great. I mostly want easy to make stuff for eating at work and sometimes at home.

Almost any braise or stew recipe can be done in a slow cooker.

General word of warning about allrecipes, it's basically like an unrefereed wikipedia goon rushed by a bunch of midwesterners. I would steer clear of it pretty much entirely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This might sound stupid but how do I make chicken noodle soup with chicken stock? I did all the work yesterday so today I planned to take off the fat and reduce it down and portion. I have some frozen chicken breasts left so I'd like to add noodles and make chicken noodle soup with a portion of the stock.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There is a name for the type of cooking used by desert cultures. The one where you wrap everything up in aluminium foil and let it stay between coals or similar for a while. I was planning on trying this in the coming summer but I can't seem to find the name of this technique for research. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Iraff posted:

Whenever I hear people bring up cast iron they seem to cite the fact that it cooks evenly as a big draw, but I just found that demonstration that shows that stainless steel and aluminum both heat more evenly, with less harsh heat gradients. What's the bonus of going cast iron?

As gravitet said, heat capacity - but as you point out, your cast iron will have hot spots to a higher degree than steel with a molten molybdenum core..

You can remedy this by preheating for a longer time - then they'll get more even, but not entirely so.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Namarrgon posted:

There is a name for the type of cooking used by desert cultures. The one where you wrap everything up in aluminium foil and let it stay between coals or similar for a while. I was planning on trying this in the coming summer but I can't seem to find the name of this technique for research. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Baking? Or if you have liquid in there, part steaming? :v:

Pacific island people did it with leaves, Australian aboriginals did it with bark, nomadic African and middle eastern people did it just with sand, and well probably any nomadic people come to think of it historically , so there won't just be one name for it, and what converts to modern alu foil specifically I guess.

I don't know what you are after, formula one qualifying is on right now, so can't look anything up for you, but from memory, Bourdain was in Morocco, Algeria or Tunisia in his "parts unknown" series I saw last year, where did spend some time with nomads in the desert.

Edit:
Short break in F1, nah, not there. I swear I saw a show with Bourdias in it in a North African country.
One part was with tribes in the desert, second part in a town with people dropping off food in a terracotta pot and dough, to the towns hot water baths or central kitchen, where it was heated/cooked. After work/school or whatever people would come to pick it up the bread or stew to eat for dinner. The episode finished with him cooking his own tagines.
Anyway, that episode had some desert nomad cooking in it, but I don't know what series, or what country, and as I couldn't find it quickly searching for Bourdain, I'm not even sure if he was in it anymore.

Late edit now f1 has finished: maybe him in "a cooks tour"? Hard to google it because of keyword garbage, but I swear I saw a newer show than "a cooks tour" with the description above with bread, pots and tagine.

Seems my 'h' key doesn't work half the time anymore...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 6, 2013

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Boris Galerkin posted:

This might sound stupid but how do I make chicken noodle soup with chicken stock? I did all the work yesterday so today I planned to take off the fat and reduce it down and portion. I have some frozen chicken breasts left so I'd like to add noodles and make chicken noodle soup with a portion of the stock.

Thaw your chicken breasts. Set aside the broth you want to use for the soup and bring it to a simmer. Taste and add salt as needed. Add the chicken breasts and a bay leaf or two and a few sprigs of parsley. Keep it at a bare simmer to let the chicken breasts poach until just cooked through. You can go simple and just once the chicken is near done add in some chopped onion, carrot, and celery, some more strongly flavored herbs like some fresh thyme. Once vegetables are tender you can either add the noodles straight to the soup if you want some of the starch of the noodles to thicken the soup some. If you want the broth to remain lighter and clear, cook the noodles separately before adding them. If you have a really big batch and expect leftovers it's better to cook the noodles separately and combine just the portion you plan to eat because noodles sitting in broth will absorb more broth and get mushy.

If you want a little more flavor in your vegetables, before adding them to the soup, saute them first in some butter or some of that chicken fat you skimmed.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best inexpensive temperature probe/timer?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When I cook a steak up to temperature (~130), after I let it rest for a few minutes there was a LOT of juice that had come out of it, it was in a rather large puddle of it, actually.

Why was that? It's happened several times before with different methods and I have no idea why juice is pooling significantly after resting.

The only common things of note for these steaks was they had all been frozen, then thawed in the fridge for (give or take) two days, and they were all about 1.75 inches thick.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ice crystals might've poked holes in it when it was frozen. This happens a lot more if it freezes slowly, if you can freeze it faster you won't get as big of crystals. When you're going to freeze a steak put it in the coldest part of your fridge for a while first to get it to as close to frozen as you can, then stick it in the coldest part of the freezer (usually bottom middle). Though if you want you can get liquid nitrogen or dry ice to do this. :v: If there's a chemical supply store around liquid nitrogen is actually pretty cheap. This is full insane level though, but if you get a huge bunch of cheap steak it might be worth it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Ramen guy, did you ever get something good going?

Grand Fromage posted:

Though if you want you can get liquid nitrogen or dry ice to do this. :v: If there's a chemical supply store around liquid nitrogen is actually pretty cheap. This is full insane level though, but if you get a huge bunch of cheap steak it might be worth it.

Costco does/did give you free bags of dry ice.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Quote is not edit.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

tarepanda posted:

Ramen guy, did you ever get something good going?

If you are talking about me, I've only had one chance to try out your suggestion. I did not have tofu milk though, so I used butter as a filler instead. The broth ended up tasting good, but I think I boiled too many vegetables in my broth, so the taste was a bit over powering. Even when I mixed in more dashi.

I made the pickled eggs and they tasted excellent. Although I made them a bit too runny. I'm going to try to cook them a tiny bit more.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow after a trip to the store to see if I can find tofu milk. Also, I've been looking for some sort of meat to add to my ramen bowls. Currently I'm just adding the pickled egg, some slivers of carrots and chopped scallions to the bowl.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

walruscat posted:

Also, I've been looking for some sort of meat to add to my ramen bowls. Currently I'm just adding the pickled egg, some slivers of carrots and chopped scallions to the bowl.

Tonkotsu (pork bone) ramen is usually pretty topping-free. Scallions, a slice of nori, maybe some menma (pickled bamboo), and meat are par for the course.

Miso is heartier and has a lot more toppings.

As far as meat goes, check out some char siu recipes -- fatty pork sliced thin (not super thin, but maybe a third the thickness of a pork chop) and laid out on the side of the bowl. Delicious stuff -- the fattier the better!

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

tarepanda posted:

Tonkotsu (pork bone) ramen is usually pretty topping-free. Scallions, a slice of nori, maybe some menma (pickled bamboo), and meat are par for the course.

Miso is heartier and has a lot more toppings.

As far as meat goes, check out some char siu recipes -- fatty pork sliced thin (not super thin, but maybe a third the thickness of a pork chop) and laid out on the side of the bowl. Delicious stuff -- the fattier the better!

Thanks for the suggestion. That's probably the tastiest meat I've ever had on a ramen bowl and now I know what it's called. I'll try to make it tomorrow and see how it goes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

walruscat posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. That's probably the tastiest meat I've ever had on a ramen bowl and now I know what it's called. I'll try to make it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Once you get the recipe down, get a torch and sear it after you put it on the bowl. Mmmmmm.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Okay, so tomorrow I'm going to be making kangaroo burgers with my girlfriend, but the meat is extremely lean. What's the consensus on if we should add egg, or oil, or whatever other sort of binding?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Okay, so tomorrow I'm going to be making kangaroo burgers with my girlfriend, but the meat is extremely lean. What's the consensus on if we should add egg, or oil, or whatever other sort of binding?

I wouldn't add any binding. Salt the outside heavily. Form a nice ball. Smash it into a super hot cast iron skillet with clarified butter. When a nice sear forms, flip it and heat it to medium rare. Remove it and let it rest.

Rareness is more important than sear for lean mince, so don't chase a heavy sear at the expense of overcooking it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

GrAviTy84 posted:

I wouldn't add any binding. Salt the outside heavily. Form a nice ball. Smash it into a super hot cast iron skillet with clarified butter. When a nice sear forms, flip it and heat it to medium rare. Remove it and let it rest.

Rareness is more important than sear for lean mince, so don't chase a heavy sear at the expense of overcooking it.

The plan was to bbq, not skillet cooking, if that makes a difference.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

walruscat posted:

I'm not sure which types of ramen it's appropriate for, but I love a soft-boiled egg in ramen. A good use for sous-vide, too

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

tarepanda posted:

Once you get the recipe down, get a torch and sear it after you put it on the bowl. Mmmmmm.

Thanks. I told my wife what you recommended and now I have to add a food torch to my shopping list for when I move out.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

walruscat posted:

Thanks. I told my wife what you recommended and now I have to add a food torch to my shopping list for when I move out.

Wait. Move out? Did she get mad at a food torch and kick you out?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

The Azn Sensation posted:

Wait. Move out? Did she get mad at a food torch and kick you out?

Oh, I should have written "when we move out." My wife takes care of her 100 year old grandmother so we were living with her while I was going to school. I'm looking for employment now, so when I find a job we're probably going to move to NY. I've been making a list of kitchen essentials and non-essentials that I want for when I finally have my own kitchen.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm not sure which types of ramen it's appropriate for, but I love a soft-boiled egg in ramen. A good use for sous-vide, too

I actually gave him my recipe for that. It's pretty good with miso and tonkotsu. I wouldn't eat it with shoyu, but I think shoyu in general is a piss-poor soup though.

walruscat posted:

Oh, I should have written "when we move out." My wife takes care of her 100 year old grandmother so we were living with her while I was going to school. I'm looking for employment now, so when I find a job we're probably going to move to NY. I've been making a list of kitchen essentials and non-essentials that I want for when I finally have my own kitchen.

Oh, whew. I thought the same thing as The Azn Sensation.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have five ears of Jersey corn. What to do with that isn't corn on the cob or some kind of delicious but too thick for summer soup?

also, down the street from me is a garage sale, and there are two seemingly ok looking gas grills for sale. No propane tank, but at that price, I can just scrap it if it is beat probably, right? File this under too stupid to pass? I have no grill now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have five ears of Jersey corn. What to do with that isn't corn on the cob or some kind of delicious but too thick for summer soup?

If you have archives, I'd recommend ICSA: Corn as a source of ideas.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

walruscat posted:

Don't buy a "food" torch. Go buy an MAPP Pro Bernz-o-matic from Home Depot.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

When you've done something else with the kernels, brown the husks and make stock with them. Use the cobs to make jelly.

Alternately, do that Myhrvold thing with corn grits, fruit marinara, and corn consommé (I don't have the recipe handy; I think it's in Modernist Cuisine and if not there, one of his blog/food forum posts).

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SubG posted:

When you've done something else with the kernels, brown the husks and make stock with them. Use the cobs to make jelly.

I am very very interested in the method for making and use of corn husk stock and cob jelly. Just cover with water and boil the crap out of them both separately, I assume? But what do you do with the product?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

I used to top it with a plain soft-boiled egg. I tried tarepanda's recipe for an egg pickled (is that what I should call it) in soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar; and from now on I'm going to top it with the pickled egg if I have the time to prepare some the day before I want a ramen bowl.

How long will the eggs stay good for?

walruscat fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 8, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I am very very interested in the method for making and use of corn husk stock and cob jelly. Just cover with water and boil the crap out of them both separately, I assume? But what do you do with the product?
Put the corn husks on a baking sheet, spread out in a layer. Put 'em in an oven at like 350 until they brown. Or brown them some other way. From there you can just steep them in water for around half an hour, strain through a cheesecloth, then adjust seasoning (sugar, salt). Or alternately you can put the browned husks and the cobs (that you don't have to do anything with) in a pressure cooker for ten, fifteen minutes. Then strain and season. The latter method is per Myhrvold, and the former is something someone on GWS (I think it was mindphlux) reported picking up from a restaurant or something.

Corn cob jelly you make by boiling cobs for around half an hour, strain the result if you don't want bits of stuff in the jelly and don't strain if you do. To each 4 cups or so of liquid add about 3 cups of sugar, about 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and one packet of pectin (following the appropriate rituals for the pectin as indicated on the packet). gently caress around with the proportions per your taste and the quirks of your particular kind of pectin.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

GrAviTy84 posted:

We did this and it worked out perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Don't buy a "food" torch. Go buy an MAPP Pro Bernz-o-matic from Home Depot.

I want to buy this just on name alone!

Edit: is there any reason why? Are the food ones weaker or something?