Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

So. Rotate every unlimited upgrade to a non unlimited device. Swap devices around, Done. Seems pretty simple if you have 1 line without unlimited.

Pretty much. I have had care yank the unl feature though once. Some idiot called to bitch about the upgrade fee after being a complete mong in store, even though we could have given him the same line he'd heard everywhere else, "Sorry, you'll lose your unlimited." Anyway care went "hmmm there was an upgrade done recently, and you're using a brand new S4... you shouldn't have that feature anymore."

Long story short, don't be an rear end in a top hat. This isn't a God given right and the only thing I can say is that the feature will be on the line after the upgrade is complete. How long it stays there, is anyone's guess. I hate doing this two line monte for people, it's stupid and only we only use it in very select few circumstances and 90% of the time we just roll with the party line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Wow. That's insane. I've never had anyone be a dick about keeping their unlimited and it's gotten me a ridiculous amount of referral business.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Am I the only one who thinks this pricing scheme for capped data is semi-reasonable? I just came from the competition (Sprint), which was unlimited data. I was paying about 80 dollars a month for garbage reception and no tethering (unless you rooted). I usually only ever used like 2GB a month. For about 20 bucks more, 4G (or working 3G for that matter) is no longer a scavenger hunt and I have tethering out of the box thanks to the FCC slapping VZW around a bit. Solid.

I realize the amount of data you get for the money is pitiful, however I'm not trying to use my phone as my ISP and it just happens to agree with my real-world usage.

Edit: I should add, the deal is only going to get sweeter once my employee discount hits.

azurite fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 6, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You probably are, because bandwidth gets cheaper and cheaper by leaps and bounds all the time, it's the same thing with your broadband ISP. Higher prices and no better service/speeds, attempted bandwidth caps (these seem to have mostly flopped though, thank god,) etc. It's just a loving scam to get more money from you, just like text messaging.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

You probably are, because bandwidth gets cheaper and cheaper by leaps and bounds all the time, it's the same thing with your broadband ISP. Higher prices and no better service/speeds, attempted bandwidth caps (these seem to have mostly flopped though, thank god,) etc. It's just a loving scam to get more money from you, just like text messaging.

That's not really true though. My ISP price has increased since I first got broadband in 2003, but I now have 50 Mbps compared to 3 Mbps back then. It hasn't been a steady increase in bandwidth to match the price but with every major upgrade they went through, I end up paying less per megabit than I ever had before.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

Caps haven't flopped on home isps. Cox is 450 gigs a month on the 150mbps package. While we haven't gone over. We come dangerously close. Att is 250 in Uverse and 150 on standard hsi.

Att does rolling 3 month averages. Cox is per month.

They all want people to stop using Netflix.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
yep. It's a hilarious denial of basically "We gave you something, how dare you use it!"

The cost for 50mbps today is easily about 50x lower than the cost for 3mbps back in the day, yet cost to customers has skyrocketed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I can't complain too much about Charter then, the service is decently reliable and no caps. 30 is the fastest they offer though.

*edit* sorry for derailing, how about that new droid maxx that's been spotted? That'll probably be my next phone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

big mean giraffe posted:

*edit* sorry for derailing, how about that new droid maxx that's been spotted? That'll probably be my next phone.

I have not seen this new droid maxx, is there a non-lovely rumor site (:lol:) that has info on it?

e: I found some info but nothing with specs, guess I wait

kensei fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2013

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Has Verizon said that they'd be limiting bandwidth to people who still had unlimited plans? I still have a iPhone 4S and my 3g is just terrible even when I have "full bars". I live in a area where there is good coverage, but the speeds are just bad. I just ran a speedtest and Dl was .48Mbps and upload was .21Mbps. Although I have unlimited, I never use over about 1gb. My wife is the same, slow speeds doesn't use over about a gig each month. My brother on the other hand uses 8 to 10 and he's on our family share albeit on his own "unlimited" number. Could they be capping us just because of his usage or is it just a congested area? The city I live in is Shreveport, LA so it's not the technology hotspot of the South, but we have 4g like most other cities and 3g has been here forever.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
CDMA "3g" is pretty garbage in general, never got more than 1.5mbit on speed tests.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dobermaniac posted:

Has Verizon said that they'd be limiting bandwidth to people who still had unlimited plans? I still have a iPhone 4S and my 3g is just terrible even when I have "full bars". I live in a area where there is good coverage, but the speeds are just bad. I just ran a speedtest and Dl was .48Mbps and upload was .21Mbps. Although I have unlimited, I never use over about 1gb. My wife is the same, slow speeds doesn't use over about a gig each month. My brother on the other hand uses 8 to 10 and he's on our family share albeit on his own "unlimited" number. Could they be capping us just because of his usage or is it just a congested area? The city I live in is Shreveport, LA so it's not the technology hotspot of the South, but we have 4g like most other cities and 3g has been here forever.

They are not allowed to cap LTE

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

CDMA "3g" is pretty garbage in general, never got more than 1.5mbit on speed tests.

Yeah, Verizon's 3G wasn't great because of its speed - it was great because it was loving everywhere at a time when other carriers were dragging their feet.

Sounds kinda like what happened with LTE too :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, Verizon's 3G wasn't great because of its speed - it was great because it was loving everywhere at a time when other carriers were dragging their feet.

Sounds kinda like what happened with LTE too :v:

And it's good because now their LTE is a data connection worth its while. It might not be the fastest but at least I'm not waiting minutes for webpages to load.

Hell, sometimes I have to use LTE because it's faster than my home WiFi. I suspect that's because the wireless router is a cheap Netgear router, and our primary router is an old Cisco, but who knows.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Dobermaniac posted:

The way it was explained to me by my rep was that 3G is throttled if a tower is overloaded while 4G LTE is never throttled for unlimited users.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Dobermaniac posted:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/947056

You aren't the only one with this issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've got an out-of-contract phone on VZW I'm looking to upgrade into the S4. I understand that I'm going to lose unlimited unless I bring in a full-price unlocked S4 which I'm not willing to do, as I'm unlikely to use $400 worth of extra data. I'm probably going for the 2-yr contract.

Are there any particular advantages in going online versus a commissioned store versus best buy? Are there any particular deals, bundles or incentives I should look for at any of these places? It's being listed as $200 (plus the presumed non-mentioned upgrade fee) online and I'll probably move to the 2gb/mo plan.

If I go in person to a store or best buy, are any of these fees waived? I don't want to drive around and waste everyone's time, so I'm asking what my options are, if there happens to be one that's vastly better than another.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 7, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can pretty commonly find phone prices cheaper at non-corporate stores or resellers. Amazon has the S4 for $180 right now. You'll get hit with a $30 upgrade fee regardless of where you go. The disadvantage is that Amazon (and probably other stores) has its own contract and you have to keep the phone for six months or they charge you an EFT.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

You can pretty commonly find phone prices cheaper at non-corporate stores or resellers. Amazon has the S4 for $180 right now. You'll get hit with a $30 upgrade fee regardless of where you go. The disadvantage is that Amazon (and probably other stores) has its own contract and you have to keep the phone for six months or they charge you an EFT.

Best Buy will also price match Amazon, so if you wanted the Amazon price but you don't want to wait, that's an option too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I personally get my phones through Costco but I also buy the Squaretrade with it and if you get your phone from them the plan is only $100 for 2 years with $25 deductible vs. $130 with a $100 deductible on the website. If you use Verizon insurance or brave not having any kind of coverage though, Best Buy's price matching deal is pretty good. As far as I'm aware Costco and Best Buy don't have the same ETF deal that Amazon does. You have to kind of look around at all the benefits.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

I personally get my phones through Costco but I also buy the Squaretrade with it and if you get your phone from them the plan is only $100 for 2 years with $25 deductible vs. $130 with a $100 deductible on the website. If you use Verizon insurance or brave not having any kind of coverage though, Best Buy's price matching deal is pretty good. As far as I'm aware Costco and Best Buy don't have the same ETF deal that Amazon does. You have to kind of look around at all the benefits.

Huh, if you plan to buy insurance then Costco clearly looks like is the best choice. You'd pay $20 more over Amazon but the insurance plan is definitely the cheapest if you don't care about loss or theft coverage and are just thinking you might drop your phone.

Meanwhile Best Buy's plan looks superbly awful unless you expect to wreck your phone multiple times. Somewhere I read you get unlimited replacements in the first year, and then one replacement in the second year before they deem the contract fulfilled.

Costco - $100 for 2 years, $25 deductible, no loss/theft coverage
Verizon/Asurion - $7.99/month or $191.76 over two years, $100 deductible, covers loss/theft
Best Buy - $14.99/month or $229.99 up front for two years, no deductible, no loss/theft coverage.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

big mean giraffe posted:

I guess I can't complain too much about Charter then, the service is decently reliable and no caps. 30 is the fastest they offer though.

At risk of continuing the derail. Charter is rolling out 105Mbit in certain areas (they're currently forcing everyone onto DOCSIS 3 modems, too so support will be there). It's available where I'm at, but I'm only paying $40/month for my 30Mbit service that's clocking ~50 during slow periods.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kitten smoothie posted:

Best Buy - $14.99/month or $229.99 up front for two years, no deductible, no loss/theft coverage.
That's for an iphone, non-iphones are $9.99/mo or $179.99 up front, no deductible, unlimited replacements.

Costco is a better option, and you don't even need to be a member. Just go in with someone that is and have them purchase the phone at the front register.

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys, I have the old unlimited plan and I would like to keep it by buying a full priced phone. My question is, my contract is up in November. What happens to my plan at that point? Am I able to just continue to extend the unlimited date somehow? If so, how? Thanks.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

pancreatic cancer posted:

Hey guys, I have the old unlimited plan and I would like to keep it by buying a full priced phone. My question is, my contract is up in November. What happens to my plan at that point? Am I able to just continue to extend the unlimited date somehow? If so, how? Thanks.

You just do nothing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

That's for an iphone, non-iphones are $9.99/mo or $179.99 up front, no deductible, unlimited replacements.

Costco is a better option, and you don't even need to be a member. Just go in with someone that is and have them purchase the phone at the front register.

I just put an S4 in my shopping cart at bestbuy.com and it offered me the higher insurance price when you got to the screen where it tries to upsell you on it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

I just put an S4 in my shopping cart at bestbuy.com and it offered me the higher insurance price when you got to the screen where it tries to upsell you on it.

Its 9.99 a month or 179 outright. I worked at Best Buy mobile up until last month :v: just go to a store and buy it. If there's no line out takes 20 minutes total.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pancreatic cancer posted:

You continue to pay your bill as it is sent to you.

Transcendi
Jan 6, 2004

SGT. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Question: I have a single, unlimited data line. Would I be able to add a dumbphone line on to my account to later do the two-line upgrade/switch trick to preserve the unlimited data on the original line? Or would this act switch me over to the Share Everything plan?

I figure at the end of the day, paying for the extra line would probably end up being equivalent to the up-front full-price purchase in terms of :10bux: going out of my pocket, but at least I'd have an extra line that could be used for the same price.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Transcendi posted:

I figure at the end of the day, paying for the extra line would probably end up being equivalent to the up-front full-price purchase in terms of :10bux: going out of my pocket, but at least I'd have an extra line that could be used for the same price.
well put it this way, $10 over 24 months is $240 not including taxes. A smartphone retail is $500-600. Up to you if your unlimited data is worth that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lblitzer posted:

well put it this way, $10 over 24 months is $240 not including taxes. A smartphone retail is $500-600. Up to you if your unlimited data is worth that.

Point is moot because you can't do what he's asking.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So, I went through this today at a reseller store. In order to get the unlimited plan on my a single data line, they would have had to switch my account over to a shared plan, add the second line, add a free phone for the second line, then swap the phones.

They absolutely COULD do the phone swap thing between the lines, putting unlimited on the new phone, at the cost of carrying a second phone line ($15/mo).

They also said that if you were to try and remove that line within around 6 months, it would throw a red flag in the system (or the guy who you're trying to get to remove it would know immediately what's going on) and that you MUST carry that second line for a period of time.

I personally didn't think it was worth it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I would remove it for you without any "red flags" as long as you're paying the early termination fee, personally. If you're trying to remove it and trying to tantrum out of the fee you can :frogout:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

The way it was explained to me by my rep was that 3G is throttled if a tower is overloaded while 4G LTE is never throttled for unlimited users.
Technically Verizon doesn't call it throttling. It's called 'Network Optimization' :pseudo:

If all of these conditions are met you may be subject to slower speeds. If any one of these conditions change you are not slowed.
  • Have a 3G connection. Yes a 4G phone in a 3G area counts.
  • Have an unlimited data plan.
  • Be connected what Verizon terms a congested or busy cell site.
  • Be in the top 7% of heavy users.

So its not just a straight-up "you hit 2GB now slow down" system like some other carriers implement.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I've been told you can go into a small independent shop and get a new phone and they usually can remove the upgrade fee?
The upgrade fee can never be waived. Unless you return the device. Then you get a restock fee instead. 3rd party retailers do not collect the fee since they are not directly owned. The fee will appear on your next bill. If you call and complain (please don't) you might get offered other bonus minutes / promos but waiving the fee is strongly discouraged.

It also seems that sometimes they forget to talk about the fee in the first place but this is usually the case of a customer busy playing with a new phone and not listening to anything important.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sounds like updates for the RAZR M and the RAZR HD are inbound.

I wonder what the security content is here, I assume among other things it's probably got patches for the 4.1.2 root exploit and the bootloader unlock hole.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I got to say is that they seem to be fast tracking this update. It's rare that Verizon announces it before it even goes out to the soak testers.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
A girl from my work has a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint. She needs to cancel her account because she cannot afford to pay for the phone anymore. Is there a way to get the phone to work on verizon? How is that done/where can I get that done? Also, what would be a fair price to buy that from her? I've seen those phones going for $200-300 used.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

A girl from my work has a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint. She needs to cancel her account because she cannot afford to pay for the phone anymore. Is there a way to get the phone to work on verizon? How is that done/where can I get that done? Also, what would be a fair price to buy that from her? I've seen those phones going for $200-300 used.

It cannot be activated on Verizon and if she can't afford Sprint she sure as poo poo can't afford Verizon unless she's tagging on to a family plan or something. The Sprint thread would be able to give you a price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

No. You can use it on a sprint MVNO or flash it to cricket and maybe boost.

• Locked thread