Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Mio Bison posted:

Real talk: K-Brad, Popi and Xiao Han are all kinda mediocre and will be non-factors in six months. IMO smart money is that no Cammy mains are consistent enough to make it deep this year and top 8 will be loaded with the usual JP/Korean players, Xian and one or two Americans (Ryan Hart is an American for the purposes of this discussion).
Going by the results of EVO2k11, it seems more likely than anything else that mediocre players with great characters that will be non-factors within half a year will make top 8. K-Brad seems to already be past his peak and performing terrible in AE lately, but I'd still put money on a Cammy or two in top 8 and Popi and Xiao Hai seem like good fits.

iPodschun posted:

edit2: Looked at Dieminion's twitter. His goal is $1500 and will stop the donation drive once he hits that, and said he won't use the EMP/VxG tag at Evo.
Where do you see this? Just checked his twitter and I don't see anything about EMP/VxG. Did he already delete it?

e: Nevermind, didn't realize what the "Hell yeah!" tweet was a reply to.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brett824 posted:

Going by the results of EVO2k11, it seems more likely than anything else that mediocre players with great characters that will be non-factors within half a year will make top 8.

That sounds a lot like you're dissing Mike "Mike Ross" Ross and I cannot abide by that, you bad person. :colbert:

Being serious tho, I also think we'll see a surprise Cammy in top 8, and I'll even call that we'll see a Sakura in top 8 too, judging by how well Chris G is doing lately and how Sak is not that popular in America.

EDIT: wait, Mike was 2010, right? Welp. :downs:

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 7, 2013

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Brett824 posted:

Going by the results of EVO2k11, it seems more likely than anything else that mediocre players with great characters that will be non-factors within half a year will make top 8. K-Brad seems to already be past his peak and performing terrible in AE lately, but I'd still put money on a Cammy or two in top 8 and Popi and Xiao Hai seem like good fits.

That was a hosed up top 8 but I think you have to interpret the results in the context of AE being a broken version that came out on consoles four months after Marvel 3 and six weeks before Evo. Of course top 8 was going to be a bunch of JP dudes who put the time in at the arcade and players whose mains could out-derp Yun, that's just the era it was, nobody else even tried.

Cammy is great but just like the Viper players who have flaked out since people manned up and learned the matchup I don't think anyone playing that character can make it through a 1600-man bracket of people who know what Cammy wants to do. Most of them remind me of the Vanilla Akuma players who ground out vortex but were awful at setting it up, they have the broken stuff but not the fundamentals to make it work. Maybe I'm underestimating them, we'll see!

E: EMP RIP

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Curleh Mustache is live:
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

It's just casuals for now.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Is Twitch loading really, really slowly for anybody else?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is Twitch loading really, really slowly for anybody else?

I was just about to come in here and post the same thing. It even timed out when I tried to log in.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Just because you know what Cammy wants to do, doesn't mean you can do anything about it. Akuma has to use footsies to set up his vortex, all Cammy has to do is get meter and jump. It also helps that she has really good footsies.

As for Viper players flaking out, Latif lost to Kazunoko and Daigo, and didn't make top 32. Wolfkrone lost to Haitani and Bonchan and didn't make top 32. You can't really go by placings alone in EVO past "getting out of pools" because after that you're up against the best players in the world who can just as easily beat you as you can beat them. The fact that anybody consistently places top 8 in SF4 at EVO is ridiculous and all you can do is give props to the people who do it, not claim those that didn't are washed up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FanaticalMilk posted:

I was just about to come in here and post the same thing. It even timed out when I tried to log in.

I haven't been able to get to its chat for a couple days, and that includes on my own stream when I try to run it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

FanaticalMilk posted:

The homepage loaded, but it is having a hell of time loading Sp00ky's stream right now.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Stream seems back, but chat is still hosed. And Bipson Bank was supposed to come back too! :(

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Dieminion going to Evo makes me really happy

Stream working for me but no chat

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Wow, IGT in casuals against Viscant is making Ghost Rider look like a very effective character like LLND does with Hsien-Ko.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Bracket for Curleh http://challonge.com/curlehmustachewest2

Also, Dieminion hit $1520 in 6.5 hours

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The fact that anybody consistently places top 8 in SF4 at EVO is ridiculous and all you can do is give props to the people who do it, not claim those that didn't are washed up.

no dude you just don't get it

daigo only got fifth place last year-- put a fork in him he's DONE and should RETIRE

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
It's because he smiles now; he's gone soft.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So EVO is next weekend right? Is someone going to do a thread again this year? Liveposting EVO is one of my favorite events of the summer :ohdear:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Just because you know what Cammy wants to do, doesn't mean you can do anything about it. Akuma has to use footsies to set up his vortex, all Cammy has to do is get meter and jump. It also helps that she has really good footsies.

As for Viper players flaking out, Latif lost to Kazunoko and Daigo, and didn't make top 32. Wolfkrone lost to Haitani and Bonchan and didn't make top 32. You can't really go by placings alone in EVO past "getting out of pools" because after that you're up against the best players in the world who can just as easily beat you as you can beat them. The fact that anybody consistently places top 8 in SF4 at EVO is ridiculous and all you can do is give props to the people who do it, not claim those that didn't are washed up.

I was salty about random Cammy jumping a few months ago but after putting more time in she's totally AAable once you know her options and yours (with Ryu at least). Yeah you have to work hard to beat something that requires no thought at all but it's not imbalanced, just bad game design. Her stupid loving DP hitbox, slow wakeup, backdash and walk speed bother me a lot more than the jumping. Thank christ Cammy players seem to have bad fundamentals and no patience.

Never said or meant to imply that Viper failing to top 8 in 2012 was flaking out, you know they're flaking because Krone/Latif won everything in 2011 and now they're struggling to top 8/16 on any given weekend because top players learned the matchup and stopped getting hit by random bullshit (how many EX Seismos landed in 2011? how many so far this year?). I don't even remember the last time I saw any Viper take a game off of an international player, never mind a set.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Latif and Krone are both in college too so I doubt they have as much time to practice as they used to.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Holy poo poo miniboss!

Sick no XF Doom comeback

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
CJ is now 100% salt.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Poor CJ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh god, when did Viscant grow that beard.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Awww, I was hoping Champ would play Dorm; it's so much more interesting to watch.

I haven't watched any west coast Marvel in a while, has Infrit been doing well like he did last year?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Elephant Ambush posted:

Latif and Krone are both in college too so I doubt they have as much time to practice as they used to.

I don't know how true this is because honestly it seems like being in college would give you way more time to practice from my experience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Brett824 posted:

I don't know how true this is because honestly it seems like being in college would give you way more time to practice from my experience.

How would not having school to having 4-5 classes with homework in between a week suddenly give you more free time?

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Well, this is looking pretty free so far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh my God, Infrit is getting destroyed right now, it's so bad. :ohdear:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brett824 posted:

Haha yeah man gently caress homework and tests! Fighting games all day errday!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dias posted:

Oh my God, Infrit is getting destroyed right now, it's so bad. :ohdear:

Destroyed is an understatement. He hasn't even won a round yet.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Awww, I was hoping Champ would play Dorm; it's so much more interesting to watch.

I haven't watched any west coast Marvel in a while, has Infrit been doing well like he did last year?

I don't watch all the time but the few times I've seen him play he hasn't performed as well as he used to. But he did switch his team around so that may have something to do with it. He top 8'd SCR with his old sentinel team.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Haha yeah man gently caress homework and tests! Fighting games all day errday!!

This but unironically.

I haven't been watching WC Marvel at all -- does Infrit just not play much anymore? He seems to have fallen off a bit...

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I've lost track of how many times Champ has put his balls in Infrit's mouth.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

What an answer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Haha, Infrit did a teabag before OTG'ing Phoenix and FINALLY winning a game.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dammit Infrit watch your feet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

10-2.

Infrit. just stay in a hotel room or something until Evo.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Oy vey.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hahaha, holy poo poo this popoff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
A moment of silence for Infrit please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012