Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So I'm filling out my very first rental application and co-signer agreement, and we have some...concerns.

On the co-signer application, they're asking for quite a lot of information. They want driver's license numbers, the name and address of employers, all the typical info...plus the name and address of our bank as well as the account number. Is that normal?

On the rental application, they're asking for both my driver's license and social security number. My dad's under the impression that there's some law about not requiring me to provide both. This is in the great state of California. They also want the name and address of my bank, but generously allow me to simply write in the balance.

I just want to be sure everything's on the up and up. I didn't realize the process would be quite so invasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I am also in California and have been asked for all of those things on pretty much every application I've filled out. Pretty normal.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
That's pretty normal, the background/credit check process for some apartments is pretty thorough. A lot of times they don't even use all the information they ask for, for instance where I live they just stop at the line where they ask where you work if you work for a certain list of companies and fall all over themselves trying to throw you the keys. They don't even proceed with the credit check or background check since they know that people who work at those places have already been thoroughly vetted.

If you refuse to fill out any part of the application they'll assume you're trying to hide something and deny it. Yay apartment hunting.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
If it makes you feel any better, your bank and account number are on every check you write, so your cosigner shouldn't be too concerned about that - it is information for distribution anyway.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Alrighty, just wanted to double check. Parents haven't rented in decades, and I've rented from a real landlord in never. It's a college town and it makes sense to be on guard for these sorts of things, since the landlords up there seem a bit predatory. Small, competitive market with a lot of renters who don't know any better, slinging around their parent's money and financial aid checks.

We're going to spend Sunday afternoon/evening checking local papers and scoping out neighborhoods for rental signs, and we already have three showings set up on Monday with this one property management company. Here's hoping!

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
e:

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 15, 2017

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

CaptainJuan posted:

Speaking of credit checks, if i'm getting an apartment with a friend and there's a chance one of us wouldn't pass the credit check, is there any way to have only the one of us be on the contract and the other be a sublet or something?

A lot of the time they would require that the person who did pass the credit check meet the income requirement for the whole apartment rather than with the combined income of the both of you. I would be upfront with the landlord if possible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

Speaking of credit checks, if i'm getting an apartment with a friend and there's a chance one of us wouldn't pass the credit check, is there any way to have only the one of us be on the contract and the other be a sublet or something?
In most jurisdictions, tenants are considered "joint and severally liable" for their rent, which is to say that the landlord can go after any one of you for the rent. Having additional people on the lease just gives them bonus people to go after.

Tenser234
Aug 21, 2004
Yar.
If you are moving across country, Virgin America has a pretty slick deal.
I moved from Cali to NY last year. Total cost to move was 1200$ because I booked last minute. If I had booked earlier it would have been ~600$

You can take upto 10 checked bags with you per ticket@ $20 per checked bag. (Apparently the price went to $25 per checked item)
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/fees
A checked bag can weigh upto 50 lbs and has to be within certain dimensions. (All checked bags may have a maximum size of is 62 inches [Length + Width + Depth])

If you buy the rubbermaid 18 Gallon Tubs (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-18-Gallon-Roughneck-Storage-Box-Blue-Set-of-12/16539917), it will be accepted as a checked bag.

Drill holes in the four corners and zip tie them shut. Wrap anything valuable in fabrics.

Brought 13 tubs with me. Sold all of my furniture, bought new furniture here from Ikea.

The TSA will rezip tie any of your tubs. They opened a bunch of mine because of computer equipment.

Tenser234 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 5, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the stuff they ask you for on credit applications (bank numbers, closest relatives not livings with you) aren't going to be used to clear you but rather are there if you default. Makes it easier for them to find you and put liens on your accounts, etc.

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Just a friendly reminder to NOT schedule your professional move in late June. The college kids the moving companies have hired for the summer are not fully trained yet and they CANNOT handle the volume. It's chaos and your stuff will likely be mishandled and/or late.

Everybody moving has this great plan to load on the 20-30th of June and do the great family vacation to see Mt Rushmore and whatnot on the 4th of July and deliver around now. EVERYBODY. Of course the commissioned sales people (who are slightly better than used car salesman) overbook and the entire industry is strained to the breaking point. We (over-the-road drivers) then spend the rest of the summer hauling the backlog of broken and mishandled late shipments out of warehouse with a few bargain-basement national account shipments sprinkled in. It sucks delivering broken shipments. Especially the really cut-rate ones that you wind up doing for free because the shipper is PISSED at the van line and/or warehouse and claim every nick and scratch, which are then blamed on the driver, and we have to pay for it out-of-pocket.

My advice is to move in February and not Jun-Aug. Nobody is doing poo poo in the early spring (I'm usually parked at home and don't work until late March) and the moving companies are willing to cut massive deals to keep their staff busy. You could probably get your move at cost or near to it if you play your cards right. Hell, have them ship your car too because gently caress driving in snow. Then you get everything moved cheaper and you get the top-shelf core staff handling it the entire way.

Sorry for the late update of this major moving issue but it was just brought to the forefront of my mind when I had to hire some random dude to help me deliver a baby grand piano because NOBODY was available from the van line I am affiliated with. All my other shipments I delivered by myself or with my brother.

It has been a rough couple weeks for me. If your shipment is in transit now you should pray and also make sure to stop at reptile gardens after Rushmore. The kids will love it.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Godspeed, good trucker, godspeed. :911:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I had a couple big-rear end spiders in my place that freaked me out, but I figured they came in when I had my windows open to cool off last week. But now I know they were probably just chilling in my kitchen and getting fat off the massive loving colony of ants under/behind my fridge. I've submitted a ticket with my landlord but holy poo poo, these fuckers are all over my kitchen counters now and there's nothing I can do. I picked up some traps from the hardware store to at least I've put some cinnamon on my counters to try to contain them but hopefully they can do something to fix this :gonk:

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Trilineatus posted:

Godspeed, good trucker, godspeed. :911:
Only two and a half more months to go and I will be free and clear of it. Hopefully with a wad of cash in my pocket so big I can give the finger to the truck until spring.

The important bit is that I survived "hell week" in June with most of my sanity and without major injury/expense.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

I had a couple big-rear end spiders in my place that freaked me out, but I figured they came in when I had my windows open to cool off last week. But now I know they were probably just chilling in my kitchen and getting fat off the massive loving colony of ants under/behind my fridge. I've submitted a ticket with my landlord but holy poo poo, these fuckers are all over my kitchen counters now and there's nothing I can do. I picked up some traps from the hardware store to at least I've put some cinnamon on my counters to try to contain them but hopefully they can do something to fix this :gonk:

We had/have ants in our kitchen coming through a crack in the window, and I read somewhere that they hate cucumbers. I got a cucumber body spray from the dollar store and it has worked amazingly well. We haven't seen any since we've started spraying daily the areas we notice them most.

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

Use powdered laundry detergent.

First step is to roll your fridge out and clean the floor. Don't be surprised if underneath your fridge is dirty. Really really filthy gross disgusting. The ants are there eating whatever decomposing food fell off the counter or leaked out of the fridge. Don't feel bad about it it happens to everybody. Clean the drip pan of your fridge too while you are at it. I bet it is also really gross.

Then sprinkle whatever cheap-rear end laundry detergent you can find on the freshly-cleaned floor and move your fridge back into place.

Ants will leave because the delicious rotten food has been replaced with poison. It also has a wonderful spring-time scent.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

PotatoMasher posted:

Everybody moving has this great plan to load on the 20-30th of June and do the great family vacation to see Mt Rushmore and whatnot on the 4th of July and deliver around now. EVERYBODY.

It's funny because I have a friend who just did exactly that, Mt Rushmore on July 4th and all.

Sometimes it's weird how things get broken on cross-country moves though. My movers packed so well I felt like there was more cardboard and wrapping paper than actual items in the truck, but when everything arrived, I still had a floor lamp and a shelving unit that looked like they had been blown up. My movers were really awesome and professional though, and it's annoying how you never know what you are going to get, because the big companies are just contractors, and you can just randomly get great movers and drivers, or really crappy ones.

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

It's funny because I have a friend who just did exactly that, Mt Rushmore on July 4th and all.

Sometimes it's weird how things get broken on cross-country moves though. My movers packed so well I felt like there was more cardboard and wrapping paper than actual items in the truck, but when everything arrived, I still had a floor lamp and a shelving unit that looked like they had been blown up. My movers were really awesome and professional though, and it's annoying how you never know what you are going to get, because the big companies are just contractors, and you can just randomly get great movers and drivers, or really crappy ones.
Yup. It's a crap-shoot during the summer. The industry would be a whole lot better if more people spent more time doing their goddamn jobs rather than CYA. But there are so many middlemen that it makes taking personal responsibility on any level more of a weakness than an asset.

The worst offenders of the big booking companies just carve off 5% of the commission off the top and put it into an escrow account to pay the claims that inevitably follow (For the record my claims to linehaul percentage is 0.05%). Why should I even bother doing any of their work if they are going to take money from me for a net benefit to their lovely operation handled by morons that will do nothing but ruin my reputation?

It's like they quit trying to do a good job before they even began. But they have the hands-down slickest sales staff so they survive. The mom-and-pop agent I grew up in could never pull it off. Too rough around the edges and they don't know computers (I'm their friggen IT guy ffs! ME!!!) so they rely on the chamber of commerce and the yellow pages for all their press. The problem is straight up corporate sleaze and slick marketing. Like I said, the sales staff are just more polished used car dealers and people are usually suckers. They show up in a suit and promise you the world then say some price and you usually go for it after discarding the bids of 3-4 other guys in suits whose prices were slightly higher. Some rough-edged cranky guy like me or my boss who prices it like it is doesn't stand a chance. We either get discarded because we aren't pretty enough or we aren't cheap enough. But we are RIGHT!

The good news is that I am happy to report that all the major US carriers are very good on the whole and have great staffs and really do try to do a good job. It's who you book through that is the problem and the drivers that they also put on the road to haul their garbage that pollute EVERYTHING.

Know your agent and know your driver. BTW, I'm usually a sub-contractor so don't poo-poo them. Old Mom and Pop do not book near enough to keep me busy so I have to contract to the van line through my agent to haul the majority of my shipments. Which is good news for everyone. I get paid as a sub-contractor from people I know and trust. The van line has somebody they can rely on. And the shippers... well... those tire tracks across my back are because I dove in front of a bus headed straight for you. I can fight that battle better than they can. And, to avoid portraying myself as some kind of moving martyr, it's cheaper to just take responsibility and let them do their worst. The industry bar is, after all, set for the lowest common denominator. Which is 5% claims/LH... apparently.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
My garbage disposal suddenly stopped turning on altogether. Doesn't even make any kind of noise when you flip the switch. I've been googling for like two hours and everything has just been telling me, "check the circuit breaker, check if it's plugged in, try pushing the reset button." Nothing is working. I live in an apartment complex so it's their garbage disposal, not mine; if the thing is completely busted, they're the ones responsible for putting a new one in/getting it repaired, right?

I'm just worried that my sketchy rear end apartment complex is going to pull something dumb and I'll wind up paying for a new one out of my own pocket. :ohdear:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Budget Bears posted:

My garbage disposal suddenly stopped turning on altogether. Doesn't even make any kind of noise when you flip the switch. I've been googling for like two hours and everything has just been telling me, "check the circuit breaker, check if it's plugged in, try pushing the reset button." Nothing is working. I live in an apartment complex so it's their garbage disposal, not mine; if the thing is completely busted, they're the ones responsible for putting a new one in/getting it repaired, right?

I'm just worried that my sketchy rear end apartment complex is going to pull something dumb and I'll wind up paying for a new one out of my own pocket. :ohdear:

You might be better off not telling them about it and just quietly replacing it yourself if you really want one. Turns out gargage disposals are hell on pipes, especially MDUs and tons of places are removing them/banning them. My condo grandfathered mine in but once it is dead that's it, I'm not allowed to put a new one in.

Edit: Actually I revise my advice, don't do it without telling them, that could gently caress you over too, just know that if they don't replace it it might not just be because they are jerks. Since the ban which kind of ticked me off I had my garbage disposal cause a back up with minor flooding to my unit and my next door neighbors, an event that I now call my $300 onion.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 7, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I accidentally broke my garbage disposal when I broke a glass in my sink and the shards jammed it. Called maintenance and the dude came out and fixed it and I never got any sort of crap from management. I wouldn't sweat it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Budget Bears posted:

Does it have an Allen key-hole on the bottom? It could just be jammed on something, if you have an Allen wrench that fits, see if it rotates.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Of course, they might be entitled to charge you for the cost of replacement if it's broken from misuse. If it just broke down because it's old and that happens, that's one thing, if you were dropping spoons in it and one got snagged that is probably going to be on you.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
It should be free. Mine broke from a pinhole leak (apparently they can appear from internal rusting) and it was replaced within a day, no poo poo from management. Even if you're charged, it should be prorated against its age and how long you've lived there. Plus the units most landlords use are total poo poo.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

toplitzin posted:

Does it have an Allen key-hole on the bottom? It could just be jammed on something, if you have an Allen wrench that fits, see if it rotates.

Yeah you can take a lot of them apart by yourself. I did that once when mine was clogged. SO MUCH ROTTING FOOD was trapped inside. It was the worst thing. Have a big bucket/bowl ready in case a wave of brown sludge comes flowing out like it did on mine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

razz posted:

Yeah you can take a lot of them apart by yourself. I did that once when mine was clogged. SO MUCH ROTTING FOOD was trapped inside. It was the worst thing. Have a big bucket/bowl ready in case a wave of brown sludge comes flowing out like it did on mine.

Oh no, the key hole on the bottom is just to rotate the motor/blade head, not for taking it apart.

Taking them apart is a wholly different level of suffering.

Don't panic about making a mess. Yet.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I managed to miss this thread during my apartment hunt, but it should be helpful in my supply purchases before I move in at the start of August. I'm a little apprehensive about the place as it's a rather cramped little studio in a building of more of the same, but the room itself looks pleasant and I noticed no signs of ill-repair in-unit. The communal basement area, however, is unfinished and dingy, with only two cheapo washer/dryer sets from the early 00s. The landlord seems a nice, older guy and on good terms with his tenants, or at least the three who passed during my visits.

I've been perusing Ikea and Amazon for essentials. I'm inheriting a couch and a bed from my parents, so that's a big expense out of the way, but the majority of the other items are up to me. Luckily, I won't have all that much space to fill... One thing I've found lacking on various apartment blogs is appliances--thinking especially of vacuums. I'll have hardwood floors and no pets, but will probably get a rug for the living room area; are sub-$40 vacuums sufficient for this or will they crap out within a couple months while picking up nothing? Also pondering whether I really need a microwave.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Microwaves are a godsend if you like to eat leftovers, but many things can be reheated in other ways(crispy stuff actually reheats better in the oven!). They're also more efficient at heating liquids than anything else in the kitchen - handy if you enjoy hot cocoa, tea, or other things that require hot water. That said, if you decide to get one you don't need to go for an expensive model - all that really matters is the wattage(don't even worry about the size unless you have freakishly huge food containers). Lower wattages are cheaper, but take longer to heat food. I actually prefer a slightly lower wattage since it heats more evenly, but your milage may vary. Pick the cheapest model you see that isn't full of "died in 2 weeks :(" reviews on Amazon and go.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sorry if this is obvious, but consider the outer dimensions of the microwave. They're not super standardized, and it may be important for it to fit on a specific shelf or over your stove or whatever.

Don't cheap out on a vacuum, sorry, especially if anyone with longish hair is ever at your place. I have shoulder-length hair (and mostly hardwood), and cheapo vacuums do nothing and then die horribly. Shamefully, I had to get a vacuum advertised for pet hair. If you have mostly hardwood, you'll also want a Swiffer -- I like the Wet Jet kind.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, spend the money and get a good vacuum. We had an ancient one that did poo poo and recently upgraded to one of the new bagless varieties. The difference is seriously amazing. A good vacuum cleaner should last you years, so it's actually worthwhile to get a good one rather than lovely ones you replace every two years.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also consider that you won't be at your new place forever. Many apartments are carpeted, and a vacuum that's adequate for an area rug may not be good enough for an entire apartment's worth of carpet. I use this and it works pretty well for a carpeted 1br place, although I've had it less than a year so no comments on its longetivity.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't know if I'm just easily amused, but I vacuum more with my bagless vacuum since I can see all the crap that it's pulling out of my carpet. I have a Hoover wind tunnel of some variety and it's stood up to my long hair and two dogs for nearly 5 years and it's still going strong. On occasion I have to remove the beater bar and cut the hair off of it but that's something you run into with any vacuum.

If you have carpet and pets or spill things a lot, get one of those Bissell spot bots. It's easily one of my favorite household cleaning machines.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't cheap out on a vacuum, sorry, especially if anyone with longish hair is ever at your place. I have shoulder-length hair (and mostly hardwood), and cheapo vacuums do nothing and then die horribly. Shamefully, I had to get a vacuum advertised for pet hair. If you have mostly hardwood, you'll also want a Swiffer -- I like the Wet Jet kind.

I have all hard surface flooring in my house and after seeing a TV commercial bought a Hoover Floormate. The thing changed my life. It's a vacuum specifically designed for hardwood floors and here is the amazing part, you turn a knob and it has little scrubbers in the front that scrub the floors along with a squeegee and a solution sprayer so it sprays down cleaner, scrubs and than sucks back up the dirty water along with any dirt, dust and in my case somehow enough dog hair to construct several additional small dogs.

I seriously can't recommend the thing more for anyone that has hard floors, no Swiffer pads, no mopping and amazingly clean floors.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't cheap out on a vacuum

There was a thread on SA a couple years ago about "your worst purchases of all time" or something similar, and about 10 people, including myself, all said it was this exact same terrible $60 Dirt Devil vacuum that exhausts from the front, so it blows away all the dirt from in front of the vacuum before you can get close enough to suck it in. I'd like to hang the engineer who came up with that design.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My townhouse has a central vac system but the hose and attachments are all falling apart. Does anyone have a recommendation for new central vac equipment? Or alternatively, am I correct in my suspicion that central vacuums are poo poo? Maybe I'll just get an upright vac and forget about it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've got a hand-me-down Dyson from a dead uncle, but I've heard very good things about the Shark Navigator as far as a cheaper vacuum goes. It's only $150. It's also at my local Costco, if you have a membership I'd highly recommend checking there because if it breaks at any time for your full purchase cost. Basically buy everything at Costco that has a chance of breaking. Their return policy isn't as awesome on consumer electronics due to people abusing it to basically never buy a new TV or computer as technology upgrades, but for household things like vacuums, there's no reason to buy anywhere else.

Aberlien
Feb 12, 2011

I am a doctor. This is science.
Is this a good place to ask questions about moving out?

I having a difficult time with my past complex trying to charge me for around $650 for repaint and recarpet. We lived in the apartment for three years, there was no more damage to the carpet beyond basic wear and tear (and a few coffee stains). As for the repaint I insisted on doing it myself but they assured me my deposit would cover the cost. On the billing statement it is not shown where my deposit was applied to these cost. On top of that the management refused to do any sort of walk through with me despite the fact I went to them in person and made a request. I live in Texas and as far as my research shows I have the right to take care of any repairs myself that I feel I could have done cheaper so do I may be able to dispute these bills. I know the carpet thing is a real shady trick a lot of complexes use to get extra money. Anyone have any experience with this or any advice if indeed it has to go to civil court?

If this isn't the right place for this please just ignore me and carry on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aberlien posted:

Is this a good place to ask questions about moving out?

I having a difficult time with my past complex trying to charge me for around $650 for repaint and recarpet. We lived in the apartment for three years, there was no more damage to the carpet beyond basic wear and tear (and a few coffee stains). As for the repaint I insisted on doing it myself but they assured me my deposit would cover the cost. On the billing statement it is not shown where my deposit was applied to these cost. On top of that the management refused to do any sort of walk through with me despite the fact I went to them in person and made a request. I live in Texas and as far as my research shows I have the right to take care of any repairs myself that I feel I could have done cheaper so do I may be able to dispute these bills. I know the carpet thing is a real shady trick a lot of complexes use to get extra money. Anyone have any experience with this or any advice if indeed it has to go to civil court?

If this isn't the right place for this please just ignore me and carry on.
You're going to want to check both your local (i.e. city, county) and state landlord/tenant laws.

I'm going through something similar, but in Seattle, so what will work for me may be completely different from what would work for you.

Aberlien
Feb 12, 2011

I am a doctor. This is science.

Thanatosian posted:

You're going to want to check both your local (i.e. city, county) and state landlord/tenant laws.

I'm going through something similar, but in Seattle, so what will work for me may be completely different from what would work for you.

I have, I just hoping there were some other Texans who might have some advice. Actually, until I moved here I never heard of complexes pulling tricks like this. My husband is from Maine and has never encountered anything like it either. I've been mostly assured that the threat of taking them to civil court should work and they'll retract the excess charges. My biggest concern is I'm an idiot and didn't take photos when I moved out and I'm worried about getting into a he-said/she-said debate.

Good luck with your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So I've been searching for housing and dealing with other such woes for the past 2 months or so (I'm moving to Dallas, TX to go to a new school in the fall) and I've finally found a couple of leads and much more obstacles, I hope someone can help or at least offer advice.

A couple of months ago, my first thought was that I would be living on campus. As it turns out, on-campus housing at my school is really nice and fills up many months in advance from what I've heard. So, it looks like I will be foregoing that for at least the 1st year. I guess I should list a couple of things I am looking for in housing. I'm new to all this but I'll try to list the pertinent information.
-Around 500 a month, maybe slightly more but I have a pretty hard limit of 600 a month
-Close enough to campus that I could bike or its on the bus route (this is pretty big, I have a car but it isn't in top shape and I'll be 4 hours from most family or whatever... scared of being stranded and unable to attend school)
-No roaches or other disgustingness
-Additionally, I'd like a roommate(s) that don't suck. (anyone have advice on screening roommates? On one hand, I don't think I'm too picky. On the other hand, I haven't lived with that many people and I would like to screen out the completely insane/liabilities for sure)

So far the apartment search has been pretty difficult with just a few leads, seems very difficult to find something that is close that isn't a member of the infamous "McCallum" apartments known for their crime/breakins/roaches.

But yesterday I finally decided to hit up Craigslist and check for rooms to rent. There I have a couple decent leads, the main one I have is with an owner who is an older gentleman who is a "returning student" of 47 years, currently living with 2 interns who are of the international variety who will be leaving in the coming months. The room is a little expensive (600) but also pretty close to what I need and all bills paid. I am probably going to meet up with him next week. He says he is looking for driven/ambitious people to live with who aren't partying types. I don't think I need a place to throw parties at as my major will be quite difficult and I don't need that type of distraction, at the same time though I would like to bring a girl home to bang or have the occasional friend over maybe. Is that unreasonable, and is there a polite way of asking that? Overall the guy does seem nice, and I don't have a problem with wanting a peaceful household, but there is some degree of freedom I would like to enjoy.

Other than that, and this is an idea I only began taking seriously today but it is VERY appealing, is the idea of renting out a house with 2-3 other people. I have found a 4 br house that is VERY close and 2000 a month, so 500 for 4 people, and besides being even closer than the house with the older guy, living with 3 other students my age seems like it may be easier to have a little freedom as far as having guests over and maybe listening to music later at night, and MAYBE the occasional get together with friends (should I have any :)). I guess the problem is, I don't know how renting a place like that works as far as who takes responsibility for getting the 2000 dollars to the landlord. Does each person pay individually? do I rent it myself and they pay me? because being responsible for that large a sum making it to somebody is kind of scary thought-- I don't fear for myself, but for others making payments, which seems like it could be a reasonable fear with 3 strangers. Which, I guess is the crux of my dilemma with this avenue-- should I even consider renting a house with 3 people I meet off of the internet? I know people usually rent houses with people they've known before, and this will not be the case.

I have other questions but this post is getting pretty long, so if anyone wants to read this mess and give me some insight or even just a couple of tips for my search here, that would be awesome. Thanks goons.