Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The little Creator car that came with the Mail on Sunday is great. I had a left over trans-orange 1x1 so I put it on the exhaust to look like a little backfire. The girl behind the counter also gave me a Gandalf even though I had missed Saturday's paper. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Benway posted:

P.S.: Captain Foo, Don't stop.

I didn't :q:

Terranax Liberators - Model S3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Terranax Liberators - Model S3 (Rear) (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Terranax Liberators - Model R3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Terranax Liberators - Street Sweepers (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ Dude, I love every one one of your mechs. They look similar, but all unique, which isn't always easy to pull off.

Saw this today on Imgur:

He must have crazy glued them together, right?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lego, would it kill you to include baseplates with big sets again? :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess they're down on baseplates because they're hard to store and probably don't get used as frequently as traditional bricks. They're probably pretty expensive to make too.

Especially once they started putting out those 3D baseplates that eliminate about half the studs to make room for the cliffs and such. Since none of them stack anymore, trying to fit them all in a box is futile.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

2H 2013 technic sets are available in some regions (Germany, Switzerland, etc) on shop at home. Not sure if its a mistake as every other source has said released in august, but I ordered the new mobile crane.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^^ Dude, I love every one one of your mechs. They look similar, but all unique, which isn't always easy to pull off.

Saw this today on Imgur:

He must have crazy glued them together, right?

That's hilarious.

And thanks. Each set of mechs I make obviously has its better entries and worse ones. In a couple cases I've actually pulled them from the lineup, set to languish in my directory of built but not published mechs. I'm always browsing flickr to try to pick up new techniques to use. If you compare the latest designs (Blue River Crows and Terranax Liberators) it should be clear I picked up a new arm design that I really like.

fake edit - compared to my older sets, which for the most part aren't on flickr, but non-rendered in an imgur gallery upthread.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

I would guess they're down on baseplates because they're hard to store and probably don't get used as frequently as traditional bricks. They're probably pretty expensive to make too.

I think they have been tending towards smaller box footprints too, and large baseplates don't go well with that.

The new opera house set does come with two big blue baseplates though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

LEGO Friends Battlemechs. :3:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

smackfu posted:

I think they have been tending towards smaller box footprints too, and large baseplates don't go well with that.

I can attest to this. I've noticed efforts to reduce the sizes and volumes of the boxes in an effort to use less cardboard in packaging, shipping, etc. Several months ago we had some sets on the shelves in two different box sizes. Older, large ones, and newer slightly-smaller ones.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well that's something you don't see everyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8fdXNN0irI

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well that's something you don't see everyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8fdXNN0irI

Pretty neat. With some technic parts and a little work, I think the ankle would hold together and be somewhat walkable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

happy 4th!

USA PATRIOT (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini
I've got all but the "bag 4" section complete on the upcoming 10234 Sydney Opera House and I thought I'd share. It's a really cool set.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It looked really cool on the designer video. Very modular. And seemingly less tedious than the normal architecture builds.

I just have no place to put it, even if I could justify the price.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

smackfu posted:

It looked really cool on the designer video. Very modular. And seemingly less tedious than the normal architecture builds.

I just have no place to put it, even if I could justify the price.

Dining room table centerpiece.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Terranax Liberators - Model S4 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

and with the 7th mech in the group, that concludes this production run (I have no idea why I standardized on 7 per squad, but that's what we have)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Finished another MOC, this time a biplane. The body got too thick but otherwise it turned out the way I wanted. I'm especially happy with the detail of the cockpit (which isn't really visible in photos, sadly), the shape of the wings and the lack of studs, something which I hadn't tried before. Mostly it feels great to be building again.

And it lights up!

More here.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Finished another MOC, this time a biplane. The body got too thick but otherwise it turned out the way I wanted. I'm especially happy with the detail of the cockpit (which isn't really visible in photos, sadly), the shape of the wings and the lack of studs, something which I hadn't tried before. Mostly it feels great to be building again.

That's really cool.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

That's awesome, I love the smooth surfaces and detail at such a small scale. Nice work.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Saw this on Chive, assuming the insides are modeling clay or something similar? I want one so bad.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ChesterJT posted:

Saw this on Chive, assuming the insides are modeling clay or something similar? I want one so bad.

here's a really cool step by step from an artist who does this kind of thing (he might even have been the guy who did that lego man, there are several lego pieces in his gallery)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150094256483769.275937.34170123768&type=3

he mentions baking the clay, which means it'll be a polymer clay like Sculpey or Fimo, which you can get from most art supply shops

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Fatkraken posted:

here's a really cool step by step from an artist who does this kind of thing (he might even have been the guy who did that lego man, there are several lego pieces in his gallery)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150094256483769.275937.34170123768&type=3

he mentions baking the clay, which means it'll be a polymer clay like Sculpey or Fimo, which you can get from most art supply shops

Yep, same guy. Here's the album that photo is from: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150415751343769.380128.34170123768&type=3

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

And it lights up!

More here.

How does your poor pilot see to fly his plane? :ohdear:

(Really though that's pretty great)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ah that's interesting, he uses Sculpey on vinyl figures but an air drying apoxie on the plastic ones. I guess plastic would melt at the temperatures needed to harden polymer clays, whereas something like milliput or apoxie doesn't have these problems. It's really good of him to do all these WIPs, some of the best documentation I've seen on a sculpting project of this kind short of expensive training DVDs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

And it lights up!

More here.

Awesome.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks y'all!

Torael_7 posted:

How does your poor pilot see to fly his plane? :ohdear:

(Really though that's pretty great)

It doesn't really show in the photos but he can actually just see through the windshield. Looking anywhere but straight ahead and up is going to pose a real problem, however. :v:

I'll try to take a shot that better shows the light function, but I only have a crappy old compact camera.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

A quick questions to people who order from Lego.com and are VIPs. Does Lego run a really good deal at any time of the year? I am looking to pick up The Tower of Orthanc since it is an exclusive. Free shipping is good, and sometimes the minifigs are okay (running free shipping + a hot dog stand right now) but I was wondering if there is a specific time of year that is good to wait for? Do they ever leak the next promotion before hand?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Last_Taste posted:

A quick questions to people who order from Lego.com and are VIPs. Does Lego run a really good deal at any time of the year? I am looking to pick up The Tower of Orthanc since it is an exclusive. Free shipping is good, and sometimes the minifigs are okay (running free shipping + a hot dog stand right now) but I was wondering if there is a specific time of year that is good to wait for? Do they ever leak the next promotion before hand?

Sometimes, but not often, they'll put an item that is "retiring soon" on sale, but it's pretty infrequent. 98% of the time, you'll be paying full retail unless you check the site every day and get lucky.

That said, with free shipping, you'll still come out ahead since you (probably) don't have to pay sales tax if you're in the States. And if you're a VIP member, you do build up points and whatnot. You can also be assured you'll never pay above MSRP, as opposed to, say, Toys r Us or (occasionally) Amazon.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

The month of October is always double VIP points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure everyone around here has seen this guy's work, but it's kind of neat to see his workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ec9He-gy_Y

I'd love to have my bricks half that organized.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So, uh, looks like the guy who made those amazing ruined greyscale houses is a freaking UFO nut. I found his kickstarter here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikedoyle/contact-1-a-200000-piece-lego-masterwork which on the surface seems normal enough, a series of prints of a new work (an alien city) and kits to make small parts of the model. But the accompanying story is all this weird new agey ET stuff, and at the end of the video he links to some kind of UFO site and has pictures of the Atacama Skeleton on his Flickr feed.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 8, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The new crane truck is gigantic, and really fun to build. (8421, which is from 2008 or so, is in the background)

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Ika posted:

The new crane truck is gigantic, and really fun to build. (8421, which is from 2008 or so, is in the background)

gently caress that crane, I want that shark blanket. So to those who have mini-cities; did you guys buy sets with a small buildings, or just buy buckets and go to town? I'm going to the swap meet to buy some bags of random lego pieces and such to try and start building a few buildings etc. So far the only building I have is the Daily Bugle from Spider-Man/Doctor Doom set. I'm thinking of just building the front/little bit of the sides of a building and placing it along the side of the Daily Bugle for minifig photoshoots and stuff :3:. Think that would work too?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That's a beach towel I picked up for 10 euros or so, its awesome.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That crane looks cool.

But with the last Technic thing I built (the Unimog) I had the problem that I was just inserting wheels and levers and sticks into holes without having any idea how it all worked together. Then at the end it all worked, but I still don't have a clue what anything does.

At least with regular Lego (the modular buildings mainly), I can easily see how it all fits together, and the clever stuff is usually close together so it's easy to see how they did something. Not like the Unimog where one tiny lever you inserted in some place on page 3 will only become relevant on page 74.

Maybe I should've started with something smaller... but the small things aren't as cool. :I

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The red crane truck suffered from that somewhat (8278 I think?), since it has a really complicated gearbox and that was one of the first things built. With the crane, you know exactly what functions it will have at the end, so stuff like wheels -> engine, steering, raise/lower outriggers, extend outriggers; also the functions are split between the chassis and the boom, and even though you are building the gear assemblies first before building what they control, you can see where what functions are going to be hooked up to the gearbox. (At least when I build technic sets that is what I always look at. "Oh this switch is supposed to switch between X and Y, that means this axle here has to connect to XXX later on and this will be the input shaft from the motor. Admittedly I have been building almost only technic for the past 5 years.)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Quick question: I'm moving house in a week or two and have a giant pile of Lego boxes from the sets I've bought over the last two years. Is there any compelling reason to keep the boxes (ie. resale value of the set)?

The only two sets I have that are somewhat collectible are 4954 - Model Town House and the VW Campervan. All the rest are either recent Creator houses, Friends sets or City sets.

I'm currently leaning towards just keeping the boxes for 4954 and the VW but if it'll affect the potential resale of my other sets I can probably find room for the other boxes, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sealed boxes definitely improve resale, and it goes up as the set ages.

But then you don't get to play with all those lovely bricks. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

My local Target finally put Monster Fighters on clearance, along with most of the Creator sets, avenger, some of the city and some of Star Wars. They must be clearing space for the new stuff coming out. Might wanna keep a eye open if you we're looking for stuff.

On a side note, it got me thinking. What are some sets you all want but are like hell no at full price, but when that hits clearance it's on like Donkey Kong? For me I know it's the Ninja Turtles Van.