Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

In the US disabled children have the right to go to a public school and be educated, it's a requirement if a school wants federal funding. Sure it's not in the Constitution of the United States, but does it have to be? That map makes no sense at all.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

point of return posted:

A lot of the Japanese cars are actually manufactured in the Southeast.

Thanks to union busting by the states, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to make subarus in america than it is in china. :monocle:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

platedlizard posted:

In the US disabled children have the right to go to a public school and be educated, it's a requirement if a school wants federal funding. Sure it's not in the Constitution of the United States, but does it have to be? That map makes no sense at all.

I went to the source of the source and this is what they have to say about it:

childrenschances.org posted:

Why consider constitutions?

Among the tools that governments use to regulate human rights are national and sub-national legislation, targeted programs and policies, and national constitutions. Most of the maps in Children’s Chances are based on national policies and laws such as whether schools are free, and whether parents can take leave for children’s health needs. The implications of these policies, if implemented and enforced properly, are clear.

Constitutions typically outline a broader set of rights for which implementation mechanisms are less clear. They often need to be translated into laws and policies to have a widespread impact on citizens’ lives, however:

Constitutions are fundamental building blocks of a nation’s government and laws. As such, they can play an important role in establishing values and rights that may be more equitable and progressive than prevailing social norms.
Constitutions are particularly difficult to repeal or amend. Their commitments remain relatively stable and permanent even as different political parties assume power, which can help guard against attempts by governments to retreat from or weaken national human rights guarantees.
Constitutions are typically the highest laws of a country, which means that they can be used to overturn formal legislation and policies, as well as customary and religious laws, that violate human rights.
Constitutions often contain mechanisms for the legal enforcement of citizens’ rights. In countries around the world, such provisions have been used successfully to combat discrimination and hold governments accountable to their constitutional commitments.

For these reasons, we consider it important to provide information on countries’ constitutional provisions in addition to the commitments outlined in policies and legislation.

Which, okay, is fair enough in my opinion, but obviously descends into absurdity when you look at the example of Britain in light of this position and how they portray it on those maps. Our consitution is just "the entire body of enacted legislation taken as a whole" so the distinction they make does not exist in the UK. If the criteria for a constitution are:
  • Fundamental Building Blocks of the state
  • Difficult to change
  • Higher authority than legislation passed by the government
  • Contains mechanism for enforcement of rights
Then the UK constitution doesn't meet the first three criteria, so we should be treated as not having a constitution at all on those maps. However, since we clearly are treated as having a constitution, then the criteria for why constitutions are important are invalid, and there's no reason we should pass thanks to an act of parliament while the USA should fail because an act of congress would not be good enough.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Peanut President posted:

Thanks to union busting by the states, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to make subarus in america than it is in china. :monocle:

I believe they also get to check off some boxes about being made in America and at what percentage as well. Supposedly, you can get an "American Made" car having had the materials refined out of the US, shipped to somewhere else to be mostly assembled and then fully assembled in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the cheaper than China factor came from beating tariffs. All this being said, parts probably come from everywhere and the logistics are amazing.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
To a certain degree, "Made in X" is getting less and less meaningful as parts can make entire revolutions around the Earth before ending up in the hands of consumers. Apple(an American company) purchases to send to Foxconn(a Taiwanese company) factories in China chips made by Samsung(a Korean company) in a facility in Texas.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The real question here is how many countries constitutionally ban smoking in schools.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Nations that observe birthright citizenship, I had no idea this was mainly an Americas thing.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ras Het posted:

Countdown to that one bloke popping by to make miniscule corrections to the Breton part.

It's a pretty good map (as far as Brittany is concerned) so no corrections needed.

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

And to add pictures of vandalized roadsigns

I only do that in the picture thread.

A map of US counties by NFL team allegiance (gathered from Facebook). I think this was done the last year the Steelers won the Superbowl, so that would explain the pockets of Steelers fans around the country. I'm really interested in why New Orleans is so popular so far east and what's up with the random things like that county in Florida where people are either Giants or Bears fans.

It's also interesting that the Packers/Lions border in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan corresponds pretty closely with the pre-Toledo War border.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Alabama and Mississipi folks think Atlanta is the 9th circle of hell.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Soviet Commubot posted:

A map of US counties by NFL team allegiance (gathered from Facebook). I think this was done the last year the Steelers won the Superbowl, so that would explain the pockets of Steelers fans around the country. I'm really interested in why New Orleans is so popular so far east and what's up with the random things like that county in Florida where people are either Giants or Bears fans.

The Carolinas are also strange, I know the Panthers are bad but they still shouldn't be losing a huge chunk of their "home" territory to the Steelers and Cowboys. Is there really that much of a divide between eastern and western North Carolina or between North and South Carolina?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soviet Commubot posted:

Probably Giants because [old people from New York]. What's also fun is how every county with a majority of fans supporting the Oakland Raiders is at least 150 miles from Oakland.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 8, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I am genuinely shocked the #1 in Alaska isn't a Subaru.

It's the state animal, isn't it?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Konstantin posted:

The Carolinas are also strange, I know the Panthers are bad but they still shouldn't be losing a huge chunk of their "home" territory to the Steelers and Cowboys. Is there really that much of a divide between eastern and western North Carolina or between North and South Carolina?

It's probably low interest in football (Panthers suck) coupled with Pittsburg and Dallas being big "export teams." Dallas is "America's Team." Both teams also had years in the past when they were doing well, it wouldn't surprise me if those who grew up during the Pittsburg early 80s dynasty became big fans and passed it on to their kids. You may find in a decade or two that those who have gotten into football over the past few years have higher rates of Patriots fans because they've done so well over the last decade or so.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Peanut President posted:

The only final assembly done by Japanese automakers in China is for vehicles to be sold in China. The big trend in recent years by the Big Three in Japan is localized development, production, and marketing, which reduces costs in the long term by reduced labor and logistics costs, as well as the benefits of developing products targeted for the local environmental regulations right from the concept stage. Parts are sourced from all over the place, though more and more from Thailand, India, and Indonesia. The thinking behind this strategy is that it will end up being more profitable to localize everything that can be localized than take a top down approach that will result in massively overspeccing for certain low cost markets, making the product unaffordable due to the high aggregate costs of the technologies necessary to meet the most stringent environmental standards.

A salient point is that this is rather unethical in terms of environmental impact, as is intentionally building to lower safety standards.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

It's probably low interest in football (Panthers suck) coupled with Pittsburg and Dallas being big "export teams." Dallas is "America's Team." Both teams also had years in the past when they were doing well, it wouldn't surprise me if those who grew up during the Pittsburg early 80s dynasty became big fans and passed it on to their kids. You may find in a decade or two that those who have gotten into football over the past few years have higher rates of Patriots fans because they've done so well over the last decade or so.

Also the Panthers are a relatively new team so thirty years ago there was no in-born loyalty in that area.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Florida is such a patchwork of team loyalties because of all the retirees and transplants living there. There was probably such a variety of responses to that survey that one team ended up with just a slight plurality of votes.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wish for the life of me I could remember where I found this, as I was just GIS'ing for some non-related Agricultural Productivity Maps.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Why is the bottom bracket wider than the top bracket :confused:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Amarkov posted:

Why is the bottom bracket wider than the top bracket :confused:

I would assume because 0 to -50 is a larger distance than 0 to +35? I guess, I just noticed that myself. But it kinda would've been nice to have some more gradation, but seeing as how I can't even remember where I got the map, I can't say much for it's accuracy. It's interesting to see the forward thinking process though.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 8, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably the data range from -50 to +35.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hah the jets have exactly 1 loyal county.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Real hurthling! posted:

Hah the jets have exactly 1 loyal county.

Nassau, I believe.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

I wish for the life of me I could remember where I found this, as I was just GIS'ing for some non-related Agricultural Productivity Maps.

What's the source for this? It's obviously generalized but it seems pretty arbitrary that in the US everything south of the Mason-Dixon line is the most hosed they could be while everything north wins the biggest they possibly could.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

i poo poo trains posted:

What's the source for this? It's obviously generalized but it seems pretty arbitrary that in the US everything south of the Mason-Dixon line is the most hosed they could be while everything north wins the biggest they possibly could.

In a sense it makes sense, but yeah it is very arbitrary. Just like almost every map ever.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

i poo poo trains posted:

It almost looks like the snow line, which would make sense. If it's generally warmer, grow seasons would be longer.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

texaholic posted:

Nations that observe birthright citizenship, I had no idea this was mainly an Americas thing.

Yeah, jus soli is one of the few things that American immigration law does right, which makes it more the more hilarious that you have racists trying to get rid of it to prevent those dang ILLEGAL ALIENS from plopping out anchor babies.

I really wish European countries would implement it. I just find it completely ridiculous that someone who was born in Britain (or any country) and has spent his entire life there is not considered a citizen.

Now to give this post content, here's a map:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Bishop Rodan posted:

Yeah, jus soli is one of the few things that American immigration law does right, which makes it more the more hilarious that you have racists trying to get rid of it to prevent those dang ILLEGAL ALIENS from plopping out anchor babies.

I really wish European countries would implement it. I just find it completely ridiculous that someone who was born in Britain (or any country) and has spent his entire life there is not considered a citizen.

People become citizens quite quickly if they have been born in an European country and the only country I can think of where one can possibly have lived somewhere their entire lives without attaining citizenship is some Swiss towns where they vote about citizenship.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

It's the state animal, isn't it?

Nah that's meth-heads.

Or Mosquitoes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Four nations have just the right size.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
America. America. America. America.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Bishop Rodan posted:

A lot of European countries repealed it for just that reason, and the main reason why the US still has it is that it is in our Constitution. If it wasn't, you could bet that the far-right would be pushing to repeal it as quickly as possible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Somebody needs to make a strategy game with this map.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Konstantin posted:

A lot of European countries repealed it for just that reason, and the main reason why the US still has it is that it is in our Constitution. If it wasn't, you could bet that the far-right would be pushing to repeal it as quickly as possible.

That they would, I've seen tea party types talking about removing birthright citizenship often enough. Thankfully, no one is touching the 14th amendment

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bishop Rodan posted:

I just love how South Korea ends up bordering North Korea, again

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

i poo poo trains posted:

Found it! And a complementary map from the blog post that GIS took me to.

http://www.grida.no/graphicslib/detail/projected-agriculture-in-2080-due-to-climate-change_15f0

The complementary map below was sourced to the Washington Post.

Edit: I guess because it's a thumbnail I should say it's a map depicting a projection of agricultural productivity after 70ish years of Global Warming but the first map is more recent I think.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 9, 2013

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

texaholic posted:

This map is a wonderful illustration of how the experience of European colonization in the Americas - in the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries - created a very different notion of citizenship than the closest medieval and early modern equivalents to "citizenship" in Europe as well as the subsequent notions of citizenship in Europe and the world.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

This map is a wonderful illustration of how the experience of European colonization in the Americas - in the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries - created a very different notion of citizenship than the closest medieval and early modern equivalents to "citizenship" in Europe as well as the subsequent notions of citizenship in Europe and the world.
Why haven't the Asian and African former colonies done the same jus soli thing though? I don't think the map shows all that much except Americans are ballers for birthright citizenship.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Those colonies had native civilizations that survived relatively intact and then forced out the European countries during decolonization, as opposed to the Americas where all the natives died. In other words the cultural identity of the USA and to a lesser extent South America is basically Europeans who were no longer members of actual European societies and who created new national identities, while that of Asia is still Chinese people living in China, or Indians in India.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Why haven't the Asian and African former colonies done the same jus soli thing though? I don't think the map shows all that much except Americans are ballers for birthright citizenship.

Colonization in Africa and Asia didn't result in mass immigration or genocide, like it did in the New World. (Algeria is one notable exception, but the vast majority of the pieds-noirs left in 1962, with independence.) (Edit: okay, genocide, yes, but not to the extent it did in North America especially.) The Westphalian model of nation-states prevalent in Europe is based on ethnicity. This model made no sense in the New World.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 9, 2013