Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
One of the things I remember most about watching Big is thinking "Oh god, am I the only one in this room who thinks the romance in this movie is creepy and implausible as hell." I mean, he's mentally and emotionally 13 years old and acts even younger and the woman he falls in love with is probably over 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In some of the very few 'go back to when I was a teenager' movies/TV shows out there, too, where a person has their adult mind in their old teenage body, there is very little brought up about the fact that they're often trying to romance the girl who got away who is mentally still a teenager and while they have the mental abilities of an adult.

I'd like to see a movie where the guy goes back to being a teen in the 80s/90s/whenever only to be completely wrecked when he starts to consider he's trying to hit on someone who is, in his eyes, not only an underaged girl but someone who is mentally and emotionally incompatible with his adult sensibilities and notions of sex and romance, despite being back in his own teenage body.

There was an old Disney Sunday Movie that was churned out in the 80s called 14 Going One 30 to sort of capitalize on the Big/Vice Versa/etc. age-swapping thing that was all the rage in the late 80s had sort of a strange twist, all things considered.

The plot is a a young boy is infatuated with a teacher, so he uses an aging machine to become old enough to break up her relationship with another adult and to date her. Where this goes into sort of a strange direction is the teacher discovers her suitor is a 14 year old boy when he uses the machine to return him to his proper age, so she does the sensible thing: She surprises him to make herself a 14 year old girl so they can still be together.

I mean, there's a LOT of logistics to this plan that doesn't make sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure the spoiled bit was originally how Big was going to end too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

In some of the very few 'go back to when I was a teenager' movies/TV shows out there, too, where a person has their adult mind in their old teenage body, there is very little brought up about the fact that they're often trying to romance the girl who got away who is mentally still a teenager and while they have the mental abilities of an adult.

I'd like to see a movie where the guy goes back to being a teen in the 80s/90s/whenever only to be completely wrecked when he starts to consider he's trying to hit on someone who is, in his eyes, not only an underaged girl but someone who is mentally and emotionally incompatible with his adult sensibilities and notions of sex and romance, despite being back in his own teenage body.

There was an old Disney Sunday Movie that was churned out in the 80s called 14 Going One 30 to sort of capitalize on the Big/Vice Versa/etc. age-swapping thing that was all the rage in the late 80s had sort of a strange twist, all things considered.

The plot is a a young boy is infatuated with a teacher, so he uses an aging machine to become old enough to break up her relationship with another adult and to date her. Where this goes into sort of a strange direction is the teacher discovers her suitor is a 14 year old boy when he uses the machine to return him to his proper age, so she does the sensible thing: She surprises him to make herself a 14 year old girl so they can still be together.

I mean, there's a LOT of logistics to this plan that doesn't make sense.

Disney's Teacher's Pet takes thisone step further: A boy tries to turn his dog into a human, but thanks to the difference between dog years and human years the dog boy turns into a middle-aged human. So you not only statutory tape, it's bestiality too! :pseudo:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Don't forget Lucas/Spielberg teaming up for Raiders to inform you that Indiana "the dog was named Indiana" Jones was screwing his mentor's underage daughter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Disney's Teacher's Pet takes thisone step further: A boy tries to turn his dog into a human, but thanks to the difference between dog years and human years the dog boy turns into a middle-aged human. So you not only statutory tape, it's bestiality too! :pseudo:
The boy isn't Morally Inept so I don't think that's the case. But I haven't watched that show in a long time.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

syscall girl posted:

Or trying to wrench some more tears out of the audience like Dancer in the Dark. That was loving brutal.

My irrationally irritating movie moment- the son riding his bike in a circle singing "You just di-id what you ha-ahhd to dooo." I saw that movie years ago and it completely shredded me emotionally, but for some reason that one segment of one number has stuck with me above almost every other thing in the movie. I cannot explain why it bothered me so much. It's like the feeling I get when I see Macaulay Caulkin in anything.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Cream_Filling posted:

Is there a specific term for when a stock sound effect becomes movie shorthand for a visual effect or thing? I'm thinking like the beep boop computer sound effect, that twinkle sound used to indicate something shiny, or that scrapy sound for drawing something sharp.

Ah, yes. Audio cliches.

Apparently it is illegal for an American movie to have a change-of-scene to something in England without keying in, for example, the opening bars of "Rule Britannia."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

syscall girl posted:

Don't forget Lucas/Spielberg teaming up for Raiders to inform you that Indiana "the dog was named Indiana" Jones was screwing his mentor's underage daughter.

Wait, what? "I was a child" is a metaphor, it doesn't mean she was 12.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Wait, what? "I was a child" is a metaphor, it doesn't mean she was 12.

Yeah, no, it wasn't actually in the shooting script.

http://www.ramascreen.com/indiana-jones-is-a-child-molester/

George and Stephen's documented conversations about what a hero should be are really interesting though. Click through for the .pdf.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The official backstory is that Indiana Jones is about ten years older than Marion Ravenwood, they met for the first time when he started graduate school at age 24 and she was 14, and they started seeing each other when they were more like 27/17. Not what we'd consider a healthy relationship today, but it wouldn't have been that unusual in the late 1920s (Indy being born right around the turn of the century). My grandfather was seven years older than my grandmother and they got married when she was eighteen, for instance.

This wasn't stated anywhere in the films, though, it's just from interviews with Karen Allen and the scriptwriters.

e: ^^^^^^^ ugh that interview is gross. I'm disturbed yet somehow unsurprised that George Lucas is the one pushing for Marion to be much younger. And he starts out suggesting they had an affair when she was eleven. :psypop:

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Jul 6, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

The official backstory is that Indiana Jones is about ten years older than Marion Ravenwood, they met for the first time when he started graduate school at age 24 and she was 14, and they started seeing each other when they were more like 27/17. Not what we'd consider a healthy relationship today, but it wouldn't have been that unusual in the late 1920s (Indy being born right around the turn of the century). My grandfather was seven years older than my grandmother and they got married when she was eighteen, for instance.

This wasn't stated anywhere in the films, though, it's just from interviews with Karen Allen and the scriptwriters.

Also the above link has a recently released transcript of one of the brainstorming sessions between Lucas, Spielberg, and Kasdan which they recorded and had transcribed for later use. I mean, it's shot down almost immediately, but it's still a truly strange thing to suggest at all even in a brainstorm.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
It is a pretty strange thing to suggest, but the transcript doesn't carry over tone of voice or anything. Maybe they were just joking around?

Don't get me wrong. The transcript still comes off as pretty creepy.

For content: The freeze frames and text at the end of Unbreakable. It seems so unnecessary and ruins an otherwise awesome movie. The visuals and the heroic music already imply that Bruce Willis is going to do something about it. The text seems like it was put it for a test audience that can't stand not knowing EXACTLY what is going to happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blade is on cable and a really stupid part is how often in the movie Deacon Frost walks around in daylight with just the handwave-y excuse that he has sunscreen on. Like apparently no other vampire ever thought of that and somehow it works despite all of the places you can't cover.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Blade is on cable and a really stupid part is how often in the movie Deacon Frost walks around in daylight with just the handwave-y excuse that he has sunscreen on. Like apparently no other vampire ever thought of that and somehow it works despite all of the places you can't cover.

My biggest question with the Blade movie (aside from how vampires are born and how a halfbreed vamphuman wouldn't have been found by vamps asap) is what the gently caress the vampires were going to eat if Deacon managed to turn everyone into a vampire?

Can we mention TV shows? In The Walking Dead, we know Lori is pregnant, and by season 3 she is ready to give birth. What precisely was the plan had she gone into labor with the vet and all medical supplies on hand? Was there any way she wasn't going to die since everyone knew she would have to have a Csection?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My biggest question with the Blade movie (aside from how vampires are born and how a halfbreed vamphuman wouldn't have been found by vamps asap) is what the gently caress the vampires were going to eat if Deacon managed to turn everyone into a vampire?

Can we mention TV shows? In The Walking Dead, we know Lori is pregnant, and by season 3 she is ready to give birth. What precisely was the plan had she gone into labor with the vet and all medical supplies on hand? Was there any way she wasn't going to die since everyone knew she would have to have a Csection?

Watch Carol in one of the prison episodes She's walking around gutting female Walkers, presumably learning how to do the process. They know it's risky as all gently caress and probably won't work, but they have to try something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Each other? Regardless, the point is that Frost doesn't care.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

Each other? Regardless, the point is that Frost doesn't care.

If I remember correctly on the special features for the Blade DVD there was a deleted scene where they had sort of a meat house deal going on with humans all strung up while still alive to produce blood. The scene was cut.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bushmaori posted:

If I remember correctly on the special features for the Blade DVD there was a deleted scene where they had sort of a meat house deal going on with humans all strung up while still alive to produce blood. The scene was cut.

They ended up using the idea in the third movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There was that vampire movie a few years back where the majority of the world was vampire'd and farmed the remaining humans. Daywalkers or something like that?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was that vampire movie a few years back where the majority of the world was vampire'd and farmed the remaining humans. Daywalkers or something like that?

Daybreakers. Which was pretty amazing until the end, where they found a communicable cure for vampirism. It was one thing to cure a vampire, and thematically neato, but then to have that be contagious? It just seemed very lazy after all the neat setup and style earlier on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Personally I think it was appropriate. The vampires are confronted with the very terror they have been inflicting on humans, and the cure is every bit as contagious as the original plague, only in the reverse direction. The bloodbath at the end was the most literal use of the term I think I've seen outside of Elizabeth Bathory.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I really had a problem with the old-people makeup in Cloud Atlas. It reminded me how much I have a problem any time a movie decides to age a character by several decades using meaty, only slightly flexible prosthetics. Cloud Atlas had a big budget, why not use CG? Or why not just use makeup with no prosthetics, and just say that the character looks pretty drat well for their age if it weren't for the age spots and fine wrinkles?

Also, I can't quite put my finger on what it was about the red-headed character at the end that still came across loud and clear as an Asian woman. I'm not sure what they could have done to make her look convincingly caucasian, while still being identifiable as that actress.

I'm not trying to hate on the movie for this reason, I realize how difficult this sort of thing must be, but it really made buy-in difficult.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

jidohanbaiki posted:

I really had a problem with the old-people makeup in Cloud Atlas. It reminded me how much I have a problem any time a movie decides to age a character by several decades using meaty, only slightly flexible prosthetics. Cloud Atlas had a big budget, why not use CG? Or why not just use makeup with no prosthetics, and just say that the character looks pretty drat well for their age if it weren't for the age spots and fine wrinkles?

Also, I can't quite put my finger on what it was about the red-headed character at the end that still came across loud and clear as an Asian woman. I'm not sure what they could have done to make her look convincingly caucasian, while still being identifiable as that actress.

I'm not trying to hate on the movie for this reason, I realize how difficult this sort of thing must be, but it really made buy-in difficult.

The ethnic makeup bothered me too. Even ignoring how problematic it is to have a white actor in yellowface, who looked at Hugo Weaving's character in the future-China segment and went "I see nothing wrong with this, our work is done here!"

Cloud Atlas is weird because there are several genuine :monocle: moments when you watch the credits and see how fantastic some actors were made up, which only makes the bad ones all the more baffling.

Also, for how much of a whipping boy it became for being Hollywood treacle, Benjamin Button was an absolute tour-de-force when it came to makeup and CGI being seamlessly blended for aging effects. Watch the making-of for it (or Zodiac, another deceptively CGI-intensive movie from Fincher) to realize how goddamn amazing and seamless CGI is when done right.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jul 8, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

syscall girl posted:

wait, did I just miss all of this? :stare:

e: I really loving like Cloud Atlas. The only thing that bothered me was the fake speak. It took me a long time to get what the one guy was talking about with that poo poo. I really hate made up words in general in any sort of media.

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Jul 8, 2013

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It is now just dawning on me that the movie was trying to make the actors look Asian. I just thought people were freaking weird looking as a result of some genetic drift or something.

I haven't seen Benjamin Button, but remember the previews when it was coming out. I have no idea how Cloud Atlas didn't have access to the same resources for some of the more difficult transformations. I guess another thing they were working against is that they had a big ensemble of actual seniors that only highlighted who was not a genuine old person.

ETA:

Austrian mook posted:

wait, did I just miss all of this? :stare:

e: I really loving like Cloud Atlas. The only thing that bothered me was the fake speak. It took me a long time to get what the one guy was talking about with that poo poo. I really hate made up words in general in any sort of media.

Oh God, that was a nightmare only because of my boyfriend. He kept asking me to repeat what they said, or rewind it. That movie took us two nights to get through because of that. I eventually told him we weren't supposed to understand every little thing and he should just go along with it. I finally had the bright idea to put on the subtitles. See babe? Made up words!

I just didn't get how in the far flung future they were using words that are archaic even now as part of their dialect. I can't think of any examples, but I'm pretty sure the quaint vernacular of some old-timey 49ers isn't going to survive another thousand years let alone proliferate.

But I appreciated the effort and the feel of having a nearly foreign dialogue that was still understandable. To me anyway. I won't speak for the boyfriend.

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jul 8, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Another thing in TV as well as movie. Characters pretending to do poo poo and it's obvious they're not. Video games especially, is this so loving hard? You get paid for this, look at a person playing a video game and loving actually do poo poo, don't mangle the buttons like a dumbass. Also, musical instruments, I'm not Mozart but you look like a moron okay? Actually move the violin bow in time with the music maybe? You don't have to learn to play the song, just actually move up the keyboard when the song does maybe?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'll give the music a pass because I think it's often added in post, but the video game one always bugged me. The thing that always drove me nuts was when both players are clearly playing together at the same time then they show that they're playing a one player game.

Mouthguard Chump
Sep 19, 2006
Listen, you degenerate, toothless redneck...

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'll give the music a pass because I think it's often added in post, but the video game one always bugged me. The thing that always drove me nuts was when both players are clearly playing together at the same time then they show that they're playing a one player game.

Or how video game sound effects are always beep bop boop Donkey Kong sounds. I get that you can't always have actual gameplay audio or footage due to the hassle of rights and what have you, but do they realize game systems haven't used MIDI effects for the last decade? Not to mention frantic repeated button clicks when the game footage is clearly just showing something like a car being driven.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's that one scene from "The Wizard" where he's playing Double Dragon and he just mashes on the title screen and scores a bunch of points before the game begins? I hate that poo poo, takes you out of the movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's a scene in Role Models where two characters are playing FIFA, and the footage of the game-winning goal is clearly from a replay. If you can get game footage, why not show the player scoring in actual gameplay?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I guess directors assume nobody plays video games since they don't and nobody will notice.

This one is probably just me but god, I end up watching all of these family channel dramas on account of there being a child in my house. Jesus, I get it's a show but the special effects on these things are horrific. I've seen youtube productions with better effects.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Austrian mook posted:

What's that one scene from "The Wizard" where he's playing Double Dragon and he just mashes on the title screen and scores a bunch of points before the game begins? I hate that poo poo, takes you out of the movie.

You'd think that an hour-long Nintendo ad would have some realism when it comes to the video games they're selling.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Improbable Lobster posted:

You'd think that an hour-long Nintendo ad would have some realism when it comes to the video games they're selling.

or at least, maybe play double dragon before putting it in your movie?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's not just video games that do that, though. Watch any old movie where someone is filmed driving a car, and pay attention to how they move their hands compared to the scenery going by outside. Once you notice what's going on, it drives you insane.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I thought of another one, child actors. 90% of them are loving awful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Daybreakers. Which was pretty amazing until the end, where they found a communicable cure for vampirism. It was one thing to cure a vampire, and thematically neato, but then to have that be contagious? It just seemed very lazy after all the neat setup and style earlier on.

Am I remembering wrong, or is the ending pure slapstick? The vampires being so starved that they go into a feeding frenzy when they smell the newly cured human, and strip him down like a swarm of piranhas. Which then turns them into humans. So the next vampires to walk by then go mental eating them and so on. Daybreakers owned.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LeJackal posted:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Am I remembering wrong, or is the ending pure slapstick? The vampires being so starved that they go into a feeding frenzy when they smell the newly cured human, and strip him down like a swarm of piranhas. Which then turns them into humans. So the next vampires to walk by then go mental eating them and so on. Daybreakers owned.

That ending was the worst. The whole time they've been constantly talking about how they can't just kill people even if they are vampires or whatever, they have to get a cure. Then they end the film by just killing everyone. And they pretty clearly realise what's going to happen and just don't care.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Austrian mook posted:

Another thing in TV as well as movie. Characters pretending to do poo poo and it's obvious they're not. Video games especially, is this so loving hard? You get paid for this, look at a person playing a video game and loving actually do poo poo, don't mangle the buttons like a dumbass. Also, musical instruments, I'm not Mozart but you look like a moron okay? Actually move the violin bow in time with the music maybe? You don't have to learn to play the song, just actually move up the keyboard when the song does maybe?

Simon Pegg provides a pretty good answer, actually. He apparently hated this missed detail so much that he tried to film scenes while actually playing Resident Evil. The scene wound up taking forever to shoot because Pegg would get wrapped up in play and would forget his lines or miss cues constantly. Combine that and the fact that skilled timing or joystick aiming can be really hard to convey in film and you get "He's hammering every button in a seemingly random pattern! He must be a master gamer!"

It still throws me off when watching a movie/show about games. Or its big brother moment, "The hacker that hammers every key to break into computers with an overly graphical interface."

Fake Edit: Unless it's Hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've done some extra work where I was typing in the background of a shot, I was actually pretending to type things like, wow I'm so bored or, this guy next to me is a real loser. I was talking with other people and nobody thought to do that? How are some people in the acting buisness?

• Locked thread