Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Just looking for a little moral support from foreigners who are not on this island to create mayhem. Working at home gets lonely :saddowns:.
Pity party's over at E/N, not here. If you're bored, get a hobby? You'd be more likely to meet people that way anyway.

USDA Choice posted:

To break up the monthly racism chitchat:

Poker on Wednesday July 10 @ 8:00pm
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112 and I'm sure most of you have url's.
Yes, we need new people to come and take my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Look, if he doesn't have sex with ignorant Taiwanese peasants to convince them that not all white guys are literal Hollywood archetypes, what else is he going to do with his time?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Magna Kaser posted:

Haha cause not actively looking for someone to date means you're obviously a shut-in, because that's the sole reason you'd ever leave your house, right?

You really are too much. Again: I work at home. I don't have co-workers. I have a small group of friends I do stuff with, mostly on the weekends. I have very little opportunity to just bump into girls. So I try to be a bit active and invite girls for coffee or walking in the park or whatever. And for a lot of girls I am their first foreigner "date", which inevitably means I have to listen to them describe what they thought I'd be like. gently caress me, right?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Look, if he doesn't have sex with ignorant Taiwanese peasants to convince them that not all white guys are literal Hollywood archetypes, what else is he going to do with his time?

And you are just an rear end in a top hat. And not a clever one, either.

If anyone has questions about editing, voice work, and other non-teaching work in Taiwan, feel free to ask. I don't want to derail this thread any further. Thought it'd be worth mentioning the Turkish guy after reading through the thread and seeing the ABC blog and the MRT incident being posted and discussed. Obviously I misjudged things because now people like Atlas Hugged are on to my ruse and have me perfectly pigeonholed.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

There's also Tuesday night boardgaming at ShiDa's Caca City. The new one, the one on the 2nd floor next to Jamaica Coffee. Just walk down the main street of the ShiDa area until you see the Yi Jy Sheng bakery sign, the huge pink one you can't miss, and go down that alley. Pass the main nightmarket road, and it'll be on your right, just after the Jamaica Cafe.

People usually show up around 7-7:30. It's like 30nt/hour for each person, and you can just grab games off the shelves to play. I'll be bringing my copy of Terra Mystica I just brought. Already have a few people signed up to play.

More info and such in the Taipei boardgaming facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/taipeigamers/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How many pages have you typed up about your dating problems as a white guy in Asia now?

Honestly, there's nothing to discuss about the Turkish guy. The MRT woman and the ABC blog guy were very publicly sharing incredibly lovely opinions, opinions that deserve to be mocked and that's what we did. This guy may or may not have tried to rape a girl and may or may not have had permission to film himself having sex with several women. Either he's a guilty scumbag or he's not; let the justice system sort that out. But what he's not doing is advocating anything, making sweeping generalizations about the population, or sharing his lovely racist ideas with the world.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 8, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eh, don't worry Pandemonium. I don't know how long you've been here for, but that kind of thing is just something that bubbles up every year or two, causes poo poo, and then blows over like every other overly sensationalized piece of overcooked horseshit the Taiwanese "news" media latch on to. I think you're just copping long-termer jadedness square in the face is all.

And believe me, as bad as you think people might think of foreigners now, it's way better than it used to be. Things really are improving. Slowly, sure, but improving.

Also what up fellow "doesn't work with many other people" occupational shut-in. :smith:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'm approaching PARC status soon, so I've been here for quite a while. I noticed the Turkish guy wasn't mentioned and the other recent nonsense was, so I mentioned him. That's all. And it's not about the guy per se, but what the guy represents that is worth at least bringing to the attention of people, especially those who might be incoming to the island this summer. Or people who don't read the Chinese-language news. They might have otherwise had no idea this guy made the news, and they absolutely deserve to know.

I did go a bit too personal there for a bit, but what are you going to do?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also, it should be pointed out that the vast majority of girls in Asia don't ever date foreign guys and many of them will at most only ever date one. It doesn't really matter if you're in rural Taiwan dating uneducated farm girls or metro Taipei. The majority of the dating pool for Taiwanese girls is Taiwanese guys. And for all but a small circle of "serial-daters", that's what they're going to have experience in. There's nothing unique about that situation.

Edit: The majority of people I hang out with are Taiwanese who don't speak very good English. Not a single one of them has brought up the Turkish guy, including the girls with them. I only barely qualify as living in the greater Taipei metro area. It's honestly a none issue.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Pandemonium posted:

I'm approaching PARC status soon, so I've been here for quite a while. I noticed the Turkish guy wasn't mentioned and the other recent nonsense was, so I mentioned him. That's all. And it's not about the guy per se, but what the guy represents that is worth at least bringing to the attention of people, especially those who might be incoming to the island this summer. Or people who don't read the Chinese-language news. They might have otherwise had no idea this guy made the news, and they absolutely deserve to know.

What? Do you really feel that this story is changing your life or having any sort of real effect on anything? This isn't something that people "need to know" because it won't change anyone's lives. People aren't suddenly chasing foreigners down the streets with pitchforks or shielding their children from the dirty waiguoren as a result of this sensationalized story that was last week's headline anyhow.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I get off @ 6:30 on wednesday, I just got paid, and we're just doing totally skippable dumb review stuff in Chinese class, so you may have my money friends.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, it should be pointed out that the vast majority of girls in Asia don't ever date foreign guys and many of them will at most only ever date one. It doesn't really matter if you're in rural Taiwan dating uneducated farm girls or metro Taipei. The majority of the dating pool for Taiwanese girls is Taiwanese guys. And for all but a small circle of "serial-daters", that's what they're going to have experience in. There's nothing unique about that situation.

Edit: The majority of people I hang out with are Taiwanese who don't speak very good English. Not a single one of them has brought up the Turkish guy, including the girls with them. I only barely qualify as living in the greater Taipei metro area. It's honestly a none issue.

Ah, I guess we've had different experiences then. I was getting Facebook messages for a few days from Taiwanese friends asking me if I had heard the story, telling me how crazy that guy was, asking me if he was a normal foreigner and we were all like him, and more.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What? Do you really feel that this story is changing your life or having any sort of real effect on anything? This isn't something that people "need to know" because it won't change anyone's lives. People aren't suddenly chasing foreigners down the streets with pitchforks or shielding their children from the dirty waiguoren as a result of this sensationalized story that was last week's headline anyhow.

Yes, I do think it has further (mis)informed the overall image we have on the island. I think people who are new or incoming should at least know about the story. Your hyperbole is not really making me rethink that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Yes, I do think it has further (mis)informed the overall image we have on the island. I think people who are new or incoming should at least know about the story. Your hyperbole is not really making me rethink that.
Dude it hasn't done poo poo beyond get people hyped for a bit. It's just another piece of hyerbolic overcooked crap the Taiwanese media are using to distract people from how the government is loving them yet again. Like I said, compared with 10 years ago, the overall perception of and reaction to foreigners here is way better, and I don't think one serial sex pest is going to turn that around. It's honestly not worth getting worked up over, because that gives it more credit and weight than it deserves. Sure, it's annoying that people constantly think all white people are American English teachers, and having dumbasses ask about how much you like to gently caress the local girls is kind of exhausting after a while, but BFW, it's not materially impacting my life. There's an entire other foreign community here that gets waaaaay worse than that on a regular basis, having people think you're from a high-status country in a high-profile occupation and like to gently caress a lot seems kind of a petty thing to get worked up about in comparison to being called and treated like you're literally subhuman.

And I don't think it's worth getting newbies worked up over either. It has no material impact on anyone, it'll be a non-issue in maybe a couple of weeks, a month tops.

Plus I laid down my white man's burden a long time ago.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I dunno, I just kinda think most Taiwanese don't really give a poo poo about foreigners, maybe? Am I wrong?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

I dunno, I just kinda think most Taiwanese don't really give a poo poo about foreigners, maybe? Am I wrong?
Not about laowai, at least.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Sure, it's annoying that people constantly think all white people are American English teachers, and having dumbasses ask about how much you like to gently caress the local girls is kind of exhausting after a while, but BFW, it's not materially impacting my life.
Basically, you're a foreigner, and you're going to get asked the same set of foreigner questions. If you can't deal with answering those same questions repeatedly, life is gonna be really rough. I think that's suitable enough advice for incoming expats.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

Not about laowai, at least.

This is basically what it boils down to. For the majority of Taiwanese people, we're basically just here. They see us, maybe offer to help us order a hamburger if they think we don't know how menus work, and don't mind letting their kids spend more hours a week around us than they themselves do. But we're not really a part of their world at all and they're way more concerned with their 70 hour work week than what the news says about us.

I'm more interested in seeing what effect tens of thousands of hours around foreign teachers is going to have on the hundreds of thousands of Taiwanese youths as they grow up will have.

duckfarts posted:

Basically, you're a foreigner, and you're going to get asked the same set of foreigner questions. If you can't deal with answering those same questions repeatedly, life is gonna be really rough. I think that's suitable enough advice for incoming expats.

And this is true of living in any foreign country, or hell, any region of your home country significantly removed from where your hometown is. It goes hand in hand with being an expat or a transplant.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

You really are too much. Again: I work at home. I don't have co-workers. I have a small group of friends I do stuff with, mostly on the weekends. I have very little opportunity to just bump into girls. So I try to be a bit active and invite girls for coffee or walking in the park or whatever. And for a lot of girls I am their first foreigner "date", which inevitably means I have to listen to them describe what they thought I'd be like. gently caress me, right?

All I'm saying is that you do not have to be looking for a date with every Taiwanese girl you see and in fact can do things to occupy your time, better yourself and have fun that are not dates with girls or related to finding girls to date. I don't know what culture you grew up in but you don't have to be dating or looking for someone to date literally 24 hours of every day as far as I know.

People in this thread have given a lot of options. Working at home is a pretty lovely excuse for not having hobbies. I've spent time working at home both in Asia and elsewhere, and in the past have spent months in a dark room in a Chinese university's library finishing my thesis and still managed to have friends, go out, do things, meet people, have hobbies and not make posts on an internet forum about how some Turkish dude is the reason I can't find a girlfriend.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

I get off @ 6:30 on wednesday, I just got paid, and we're just doing totally skippable dumb review stuff in Chinese class, so you may have my money friends.

\o/

New faces at poker is much appreciated.
The Aus guy that usually deals for us is gonna be late this week - not a big deal.

As regards the whole working at home isolation thing - yeah, I can relate to that entirely.
Realistically there is nothing to do, but to do something about it - hobbies etc.

Magna Kaser posted:

and not make posts on an internet forum about how some Turkish dude is the reason I can't find a girlfriend.

Ouch! but fair.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Magna, Magna, everywhere you go the thread will start to poo poo itself, First China, then Korea, now Taiwan. Please go to the South East Asian Thread as well! :colbert:

TetsuoTW posted:

Also what up fellow "doesn't work with many other people" occupational shut-in. :smith:

Hey man, binge drinking with communist party members and middle aged dudes is a major time sink :smith: Sometimes I just don't want to deal with so many people :emo:

Pandemonium posted:

I did go a bit too personal there for a bit, but what are you going to do?

On a internet comedy forum called Something Awful? Helldump Serious Business and Discussion :downsrim:

Pandemonium posted:

Why won't you join my pity party guys?

quote:

I am turning into one of those cynical ex-pats, and I am only a tender 26 years of age.

TetsuoTW posted:

Eh, don't worry Pandemonium. :glomp:

This guys knows what he's talking about :eng101:

I wish you well as well! Goons here have been pretty nice to be honest. Everyone has their misconceptions about the world, some just happen to be race related? It's good to have your own group of friends and your own personal time whether you are in a relationship or not. Keep your chin up, speak more Taiwanese and I'm sure you will destined to be fine. Even if you do end up single/not getting laid I'm sure you have other professional or personal pursuits to enrich your life. Some other goon has terrible luck and didn't get laid for 8/9 months. He's a pretty cool guy and is perfectly fine. Do share if you do break that record though :downsrim:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I share one aspect of my life and you guys inflate it into some overriding dilemma that is making me some angst-filled sack of sadness. I'm okay, guys, I really am. I go to the gym, I swim, I travel, I read, I play basketball, and I also happen to go on dates every now and then. I didn't pop in this thread to get unnecessary advice about getting a hobby. I wanted to share the Turkish guy story because I feel everyone should know about it. You know, because I am not in the field of being an arbiter of information as some people here seem to be.

Also, I am not trying to suggest the Taiwanese media is worth anything. It is a lovely, lovely enterprise that makes the oft-maligned American media look professional and decent. If nothing else, the Turkish guy is just another example of their ridiculous sensationalism. I thought newcomers might like to know that the media will report on how big your dick is in this country.

Edit: Just to be perfectly crystal 100% clear: I am not whining about being unable to get laid. I get laid. I don't need your sympathy, damnit! I want to be angry, not apathetic. And I want you to share in my rage.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 8, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Except the only post you've really ever made in here is about how a two week old sensationalized news story is ruining your dating life when it hasn't affected anyone else in this thread in the slightest. If we jump down your throat about that, it's because that's all you're giving us to respond to.

How many girls have turned you down in the last two weeks explicitly because of that story?

Pandemonium posted:

Edit: Just to be perfectly crystal 100% clear: I am not whining about being unable to get laid. I get laid. I don't need your sympathy, damnit! I want to be angry, not apathetic. And I want you to share in my rage.

If you want to make a long, detailed post about how awful the Taiwanese media is, I'd be all down with discussing the outright lies they make and ranking which ones are the worst. But there's just nothing to rage about with this story because there's nothing for us to work with here. As I said before, there's just nothing to discuss.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I thought newcomers might like to know that the media will report on how big your dick is in this country.
Not gonna lie, that was pretty hilarious. But no, the media won't report on how big your dick is, unless you're a serial sex offender.

But that does remind me of one thing I wished newbies would get taught back in the day, although it seems to have eased off in recent years - the difference between:

and

For a while, it felt like nary a year would go past without some fresh-off-the-boat putz writing a letter to the Taipei Times being all "Holy gently caress, there are loving swastikas everywhere! Why does no-one say anything about this!"

e:

Pandemonium posted:

I want to be angry, not apathetic. And I want you to share in my rage.
Not apathetic, adjusted.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

Not apathetic, adjusted.

But every now and then there are actual Nazi swastikas just chilling somewhere! It's the damnedest thing. I went into a Mos Burger some months back and there was a dude just chilling there cosplaying an SS officer.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

I want you to share in my rage.
I think the point people are making is, Nope!

Atlas Hugged posted:

But every now and then there are actual Nazi swastikas just chilling somewhere! It's the damnedest thing. I went into a Mos Burger some months back and there was a dude just chilling there cosplaying an SS officer.
I saw a guy wearing a Banana Chippy shirt that was Nazi themed and seemed legit, couldn't get a good pic since I didn't want to be rude.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

My first Chinese language teacher here explained this too me pretty well one day when I asked her in class. Her view was that many people in China and Taiwan do idolize Hitler, but not from a "supremacist" viewpoint. They see him more as a rags to riches ("boot-straps" if you will) story because he went from basically nothing to the leader of Germany, and a conqueror. All the atrocities he committed are easier for people here to shrug off because when you look at Chinese history that is pretty much standard operating procedure. As Emperors in China have been doing that in China for over 2,000 years.

It's similar to how apathetic many Taiwanese workers are to their bosses making WAY more money than them, and generally being assholes to the peons. In their mind that is the norm, and if the roles were ever reversed they would do exactly the same things to their employees.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Edit: Just to be perfectly crystal 100% clear: I am not whining about being unable to get laid. I get laid.

此地無銀三百兩 :downsrim:

Sorry couldn't resist, I'm going to stop now. If someone can give me the similar English idiom that would be awesome :eng101:

HappyHelmet posted:

My first Chinese language teacher here explained this too me pretty well one day when I asked her in class. Her view was that many people in China and Taiwan do idolize Hitler, but not from a "supremacist" viewpoint. They see him more as a rags to riches ("boot-straps" if you will) story because he went from basically nothing to the leader of Germany, and a conqueror. All the atrocities he committed are easier for people here to shrug off because when you look at Chinese history that is pretty much standard operating procedure.

To a lay person though, Nazi iconography is very distinct and evokes a powerful image. Black uniforms, Hugo Boss and imagery with well defined bold lines. The parades, armies of young blondes on the streets, etc... :smith:

I blame manga and anime :japan: They even have horrible Nazi BL, for people into history/militaries

:nws: http://www.mangago.com/read-manga/zion_no_koeda/ :nws:

Nazi atrocities have been generally glossed over in East Asia, but don't people in Taiwan also like to turn whatever political leader they don't like into Hitler? The bombing of the Chinese Embassy during the Kosovo War mainlanders were miraculously allowed to protest on the streets. The stupid rocks fiasco? Yep. Both times, they turned Clinton/Abe into mini Hitlers. In Hong Kong, :godwin: comparisons get over used for whatever minister. Fa Lun Gong, angry activists, etc etc...

quote:

It's similar to how apathetic many Taiwanese workers are to their bosses making WAY more money than them, and generally being assholes to the peons. In their mind that is the norm, and if the roles were ever reversed they would do exactly the same things to their employees.

Don't Taiwanese want to work for multi national corporations? 5 Day week! Amazing Pantry! Leave work on time!

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 8, 2013

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Nazi atrocities have been generally glossed over in East Asia, but don't people in Taiwan also like to turn whatever political leader they don't like into Hitler? The bombing of the Chinese Embassy during the Kosovo War mainlanders were miraculously allowed to protest on the streets. The stupid rocks fiasco? Yep. Both times, they turned Clinton/Abe into mini Hitlers. In Hong Kong, :godwin: comparisons get over used for whatever minister. Fa Lun Gong, angry activists, etc etc...

I haven't heard anything about that stuff unfortunately so I can't really comment. I will say a lot of it is probably due to simple ignorance/naivety. People here spend so much of their lives at work/school they really don't know poo poo about the rest of the world. It's incredibly depressing sometimes when talking to locals, and you realize they get 90% of their world news from whatever people are posting on Facebook.

quote:

Don't Taiwanese want to work for multi national corporations? 5 Day week! Amazing Pantry! Leave work on time!

In my experience the dream job for many people here is with the government. As it's pretty much for life, and you actually have regular hours. Those jobs are hard as gently caress to get though because you have to take a test and place in something like the 99th percentile just to get an interview.

The typical "wage-slave" jobs here are "pick 4 days off a month" and work all the others. And even then often have stipulations like "only two of those can be on a weekend."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It will never stop kind of blowing my mind to remember that Taiwan was technically on The Other Side in WW2. That famous last "Japanese" holdout in the jungles for decades after the end of the war? Aboriginal Taiwanese.

e:

caberham posted:

Nazi atrocities have been generally glossed over in East Asia, but don't people in Taiwan also like to turn whatever political leader they don't like into Hitler?
Yeah, but I feel like that's because they know Hitler was a Bad Guy, not because they feel it.

I mean sure, we call it a world war, but AFAIK WW2 was basically two separate wars on two separate sides of the planet, "we" were just fighting in both. Makes sense that over here no-one would give a huge gently caress about Hitler, not when Hirohito was commanding legions of rape demons and mass murderers right in their back yard.

Also in case anyone didn't know, one of Chiang Kai-shek's sons was literally a Nazi and commanded a Panzer unit in the Anschluss.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 8, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

It is a lovely, lovely enterprise that makes the oft-maligned American media look professional and decent.

Pshaw!

Not even a contest - CNN/Fox *boing* don't even *slide whistle* use sound effects *wahwah* with their commentary *Flinstones Running sound effect*

fake edit: a great example if you needed one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjHSFvGpa0

bookmarked :)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

此地無銀三百兩 :downsrim:

Sorry couldn't resist, I'm going to stop now. If someone can give me the similar English idiom that would be awesome :eng101:
Closest I can think of is "the lady doth protest too much". Or real-life Internet weirdo Thad McMichael's hiding his kiddy porn in a folder named "dontclickthis".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

Not even a contest - CNN/Fox *boing* don't even *slide whistle* use sound effects *wahwah* with their commentary *Flinstones Running sound effect*
True, and even Fox at their worst doesn't think "Internet swoons over photos of hot girl" counts as news not once, but drat near weekly.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Also in case anyone didn't know, one of Chiang Kai-shek's sons was literally a Nazi and commanded a Panzer unit in the Anschluss.

His policies right after 1949 weren`t the best either, like how he basically wanted to tell the non-Han Taiwanese "get Chinese or get out!".

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'm just impressed you guys created a psych profile of me based off a few internet posts.

Let me try one more time to get something going here. This is coming from watching one of those talk shows with foreign-related topics and guests one evening. They were discussing the differences among foreigners, which was great. It was still a bit oversimplified, but even that oversimplification is something that is sorely needed in this country. Instead of staying with innocuous things like differences in food, language, lifestyle, and dress that are all tangible, the first thing that comes out of the British guy's mouth is Americans are a) always the loudest people in a room, and b) all blindly proud and patriotic toward their country. He also implied that because of b) we were all uneducated neanderthals. That guy got my blood boiling more than anything in the recent past. Here we are on an island where a majority of the people ignorantly conflate all foreigners into one cohesive unit with one mono-culture--something that can be seen in url's 大學生了沒 link--and other foreigners are creating stereotypical caricatures of people they also know nothing about. It's like the guy has been infected by the Taiwanese worldview, just replacing all foreigners with all Americans. He's likely met the same number of Americans as the average Taiwanese. Yet there he was on national television slandering an entire country--a country much more diverse than his own to boot. He had this great opportunity to promote difference, maybe make some headway in educating Taiwanese, and he calls Americans a bunch of noisy, uneducated, overly patriotic twats. The Taiwanese hosts quickly pointed out the dissatisfaction most Americans have expressed toward our Congress and our government's meddling in the Middle East, but this guy just kept right on going, complaining that his daughter greets him with an "ear-jarring" American-accented "Hi, Dad" when she comes home from school.

The worst part of it was my realization that a lot of foreigners hold similar opinions of other countries' citizens based on the five or six they have bumped into in Taiwan. I just wanted to sit that British rear end in a top hat down in a Gullah household along the coast of my home state, South Carolina, for a few hours, then some ranch in Texas, then a Jewish home in the Northeast, then a Bostonian home, then an Iowan farmer's, then a Californian real estate agent's, an Ohioan factory worker's, etc., etc. until that idiot realized that America is a loving huge country with an equally huge amount of diversity among its citizens.

That pissed me off much more than the Turkish guy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No poo poo, a Brit said he thinks Americans are noisy idiotic douchebags? You apparently might be surprised to learn that people around the world think Americans are like that. The same way people around the world think Irish people are drunks, Scots are tightwads, Australians are racists....

Basically you're pushing poo poo uphill with a toothpick trying to get whatever fight you're trying to provoke going. Honestly I don't even know what you're trying to accomplish at this point but blind rage at people being assholes. I smoke too much to get involved in that poo poo, my heart's already too hosed to deal with that kind of blood pressure.

Seriously, you honestly just need to chill out about this stuff. You can't do poo poo about human nature, and people will always be assholes in one way or another. To quote a great philosopher of our time, "if they hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up."

e: Wait, you're from South Carolina and people being racists is somehow surprising to you?

e2: Ahaha raging on people lumping together all Americans into a monoculture while doing exactly the same thing repeatedly to Taiwanese.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lots of people in every country are ignorant/racist/awful, so expend some effort to find the ones that aren't and hang out with them.

And don't watch daytime TV, that poo poo's awful in every country.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

I just wanted to sit that British rear end in a top hat down in a Gullah household along the coast of my home state, South Carolina, for a few hours, then some ranch in Texas, then a Jewish home in the Northeast, then a Bostonian home, then an Iowan farmer's, then a Californian real estate agent's, an Ohioan factory worker's, etc., etc. until that idiot realized that America is a loving huge country with an equally huge amount of diversity among its citizens.
Again, you need to relax or you'll just be super angry 'n poo poo when you get older.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You should really hit up a good 熱炒 place and kick back some 啤酒. Let me recommend this little known place called 嘗嘗九九. It's very authentic and will give you the kind of diverse experience you are looking for.

Edit: But seriously anyone who wants to hit a 熱炒 place and kick back some 啤酒 give me a call.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 8, 2013

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

No poo poo, a Brit said he thinks Americans are noisy idiotic douchebags? You apparently might be surprised to learn that people around the world think Americans are like that. The same way people around the world think Irish people are drunks, Scots are tightwads, Australians are racists....

Basically you're pushing poo poo uphill with a toothpick trying to get whatever fight you're trying to provoke going. Honestly I don't even know what you're trying to accomplish at this point but blind rage at people being assholes. I smoke too much to get involved in that poo poo, my heart's already too hosed to deal with that kind of blood pressure.

Seriously, you honestly just need to chill out about this stuff. You can't do poo poo about human nature, and people will always be assholes in one way or another. To quote a great philosopher of our time, "if they hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up."

e: Wait, you're from South Carolina and people being racists is somehow surprising to you?

e2: Ahaha raging on people lumping together all Americans into a monoculture while doing exactly the same thing repeatedly to Taiwanese.

Okay, I get it. You are somewhere in between my generation and my parents'. 40s-ish I'm guessing? You've given up on affecting any kind of change. I haven't. You also must have a very low opinion of the effect the internet is having if you think people my age and younger hold those same views you listed above. It's a bit tragic. I don't know of any one who judges entire swaths of people based on the actions of a select few. Other than in joking, off-the-cuff manner. This dude in question was not in any way joking or poking fun at an archetype of Americans. No, he was saying literally all Americans are loud and obnoxious and wave American flags in everyone else's faces.

Also, I would love to know where you are pulling that bit about human nature out of. You, nor I, are qualified to make some grand pronouncement about the fundamental qualities of humanity. Accidental, sure. Go for it. But to say that human nature is to "gently caress bitches, get money" is to subsume it within a capitalist framework. There's nothing basic or fundamental about that. I know it's getting way off-topic, but you might want to check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

And please forgive me for getting upset at the ignorance of the older generations while wanting to see the world integrate a little faster.

One more thing: I don't think racism means what you think it means. A Brit ignorantly stereotyping Americans is not racism. Nor is any stereotyping of Taiwanese that you read into my posts. How me being from South Carolina fits into your argument is lost on me. You don't know what part of the state I grew up in, what kind of school I went to, who my friends were, and you for sure don't know the lived reality of white, black, or Mexican people there.

And finally: I don't remember saying all Taiwanese do this or that. If I did, I didn't mean to. My point has always been that the "majority" (and I believe I have used words like this and never used "all" or "every"; if I have used inclusive words like "all" and "every", they were in error) of Taiwanese are influenced more by their media than by reality vis-a-vis foreigners. Not sure where you got the idea I was trying to paint the Taiwanese as having a mono-culture because they don't. There are fourteen different recognized tribes of aborigines, for god's sake. My point is that the media constructs a woefully old-fashioned "Taiwan and Other" dynamic in everything: news, talk shows, game shows, what-have-you. That Brit had an opportunity to do his part in destroying that constructed dynamic, and instead he further reinforced it. So gently caress him.

Edit: Durr, spelling.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I work from Home and I've got a Girlfriend.

Check, and mate.

Edit: I just read all of your rant and it owns a lot fyi.

kru fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 8, 2013