Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Broken Machine posted:

Actual studies on the matter are, at best, inconclusive.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/738255_4

In general, inhaling plant matter into your lungs is not good for you; however, cannabis smoke specifically is a bronchodilator, which appears to mitigate the negative effects of inhaling smoke. Or you could just ingest it in another manner and avoid the issue entirely.

It's actually very interesting how 'common sense' doesn't apply to cannabis. It is not honest to compare it to either cigarettes or alcohol which are both objectively poisonous to the body in dozens of ways.

http://news.thoracic.org/june-july-2013/annals-ats.php

quote:

Effects of Marijuana Smoking on the Lungs

In the upcoming June Annals of the American Thoracic Society, Donald P. Tashkin, MD, emeritus professor of medicine and medical director of the Pulmonary Function Laboratory at the David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, reviews research on the effects of marijuana smoking on the lungs.

Dr. Tashkin found that regular smoking of marijuana by itself causes visible and microscopic injury to the large airways that is consistently associated with an increased likelihood of symptoms of chronic bronchitis that subside after cessation of use. He also found that the evidence does not indicate that habitual use of marijuana leads to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance.

The author finds no clear link between marijuana use and the development of COPD or lower respiratory tract infections. In addition, "findings from a limited number of well-designed epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk for the development of either lung or upper airway cancer from light or moderate use, although evidence is mixed concerning possible carcinogenic risks of heavy, long-term use," Dr. Tashkin notes. "In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared to the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco."

This difference between reality and common heuristic knowledge of cannabis means that we have to be extra careful to reject subjective non-reasoning when discussing legalization. Our culture has spent so long demonizing cannabis that any common sense notion has been poisoned against rational thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Idran posted:

What recreational drug use? I never heard about anything like that, and I followed the race pretty closely.

He ate coffee-flavored ice cream that contained caffeine. His campaign sensibly said that Mitt Romney can have whatever kind of ice cream he wants and it's not an issue.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Salt Fish posted:

It's actually very interesting how 'common sense' doesn't apply to cannabis. It is not honest to compare it to either cigarettes or alcohol which are both objectively poisonous to the body in dozens of ways.

http://news.thoracic.org/june-july-2013/annals-ats.php

This difference between reality and common heuristic knowledge of cannabis means that we have to be extra careful to reject subjective non-reasoning when discussing legalization. Our culture has spent so long demonizing cannabis that any common sense notion has been poisoned against rational thought.

In a lot of instances common sense shouldn't be solely relied on anyway. Everyone rolls their eyes when scientific studies confirm 'common sense notions', but there are many studies which show that conventional wisdom is partly or completely the opposite of how things function in reality.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Powerful message coming from the US Conference of Mayors. They have adopted a new resolution:

quote:

BE IT RESOLVED that the United States Conference of Mayors reaffirms its support of fair and effective criminal justice and drug policies and reiterates its previous call for the reclassification of marijuana under federal law; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the United States Conference of Mayors recognizes that its members have differing views on how to treat marijuana in their cities, and believes that states and localities should be able to set whatever marijuana policies work best to improve the public safety and health of their communities; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the United States Conference of Mayors believes that federal laws, including the Controlled Substance Act, should be amended to explicitly allow states to set their own marijuana policies without federal interference; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that until such time as federal law is changed, the United States Conference of Mayors urges the President of the United States to reexamine the priorities of federal agencies to prevent the expenditure of resources on actions that undermine the duly enacted marijuana laws of states.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/2013/06/24/mcginn-u-s-mayors-tell-feds-dont-interfere-with-legal-marijuana/

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm
Powerful message, certainly, but out of curiosity, does the Conference of Mayors have any real power in any meaningful way? Is it even composed of a powerful cross-section of the mayors of the United States?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

InsomnicIneptitude posted:

Powerful message, certainly, but out of curiosity, does the Conference of Mayors have any real power in any meaningful way? Is it even composed of a powerful cross-section of the mayors of the United States?

I'm gonna say yes:

http://usmayors.org/81stAnnualMeeting/PreRegisteredMayorsPhotos.asp

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
4 of the ten largest cities in the US are absent, plus Seattle, Denver, Boston, Detroit, El Paso, Memphis, Miami, Tampa, and a ton of other big ones.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 25, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
This is how delusional the ONDCP is:

quote:

Thank you, @usmayors, for unanimously supporting the Administration's approach to #DrugPolicyReform. More: wh.gov/drugpolicyrefo… #uscm2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/ONDCP/status/349544560290045952

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

Yeah, but it could just be a blue ribbon committee of do-nothings. Aside from Xandu's observation about 4/10 of the largest US cities being missing, just because everyone shows up and talks at this thing, doesn't mean they do anything about it. Many of these cities have pretty stringent anti-drug policies, despite being on this council.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Selling marijuana in retail stores could lead to more traffic crashes and fatalities, said Colorado Springs Police Chief Pete Carey. http://gazette.com/colorado-springs-council-gets-earful-on-pros-cons-of-retail-marijuana-sales/article/1502888

Why would people who have been abstaining from weed because it is illegal (i.e. law abiding citizens), suddenly start ignoring the law even though it would still be illegal to drive whilst impaired?

Am I missing something here?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 29, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KingEup posted:

Why would people who have been abstaining from weed because it is illegal (i.e. people who have been following the law), suddenly start ignoring the law even though it would still be illegal to drive whilst impaired?

Am I missing something here?

It could just be from increased availability (potheads can get more because it's easier to get to and/or cheaper and they drive).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

You're saying that people who are already driving high may become more dangerous because there's a chance they may be able to afford more than usual?

What do you make of studies like this?

quote:

In conclusion, the present study generally confirms that heavy cannabis users develop tolerance to the impairing effects of THC on neurocognitive task performance. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21049267

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
As a (formerly heavy) marijuana user I don't think that argument holds much weight. A chronic user isn't going to get too high to drive, unless they've just tried a new method of ingesting. (The non-user's mind may boggle at the number of ways you can take in weed.) A chronic user will also have the experience to say "hold on a sec, I'm high as a goddamn kite." The new user will likely treat it as a novelty, and feel zero desire to smoke before/while driving.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KingEup posted:

You're saying that people who are already driving high may become more dangerous because there's a chance they may be able to afford more than usual?

I'm just explaining the mindset, not the truth behind it.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

computer parts posted:

I'm just explaining the mindset, not the truth behind it.

Fair enough. But there's zero actual evidence that legalizing pot will lead to an increase in traffic fatalities. In CO and CA, traffic fatalities have dropped considerably since the introduction of dispensaries.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-medical-marijuana-laws-reduce-traffic-deaths/

5-meo-catte
Apr 23, 2012

caffeine
you're all that I wanted in a girl
you're all that I need in the world

Warchicken posted:

Not '1-2' orders of magnitude. To get even a little buzz, you'd have to ingest about 9 entire fields of hemp within half an hour. It's a nonsensical argument by assholes who only want to cause more suffering to make more money.

Before I made the initial post, I googled this and checked multiple sources, all of which say things like:

http://hempethics.weebly.com/industrial-hemp-vs-cannabis.html posted:

Industrial hemp contains only about 0.3% - 1.5% THC

The european standard for industrial hemp is 0.3% max. That's within an order of magnitude for lovely mexibrick, and within 2 orders of magnitude for the best weed you're going to find anywhere. So, my statement appears to be accurate, unless you've got some stats I haven't found.

Internet Webguy posted:

Except for the fact that you would need a giant amount of resources and time for such a tiny return it's not even worth it.
I wouldn't go that far. When I was a poor college student ~a decade ago, I used ethanol to process outer leaves (fan leaves, which are around 1-2% THC if you're lucky) from outdoor pot grows into lovely hash. It was not very hard, or very time consuming.

I'm in no way trying to argue that the ability to harvest minimal THC content is a good reason for keeping hemp illegal, but let's not be ridiculous. There are places in the US where old industrial hemp has grown wild forever, and I have known people in real life who have found it and processed it exactly as I've suggested, because it's not very hard. Even though the end result isn't anything to write home about, the expense is practically nothing and kids will be kids. Suggesting that the same thing won't continue to happen if industrial hemp suddenly becomes a huge industry seems a little silly to me, since I know from experience that it's already happening right now. The only thing that would really keep that from happening is increased availability of quasi-legal really good weed at a price where it's literally not worth the effort of tossing some hemp into a jar with alcohol for a couple of hours, then filtering it and letting it evaporate in a pyrex dish in your barn for a couple days.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

probation.spengler posted:

Before I made the initial post, I googled this and checked multiple sources, all of which say things like:

The european standard for industrial hemp is 0.3% max. That's within an order of magnitude for lovely mexibrick, and within 2 orders of magnitude for the best weed you're going to find anywhere. So, my statement appears to be accurate, unless you've got some stats I haven't found.

I wouldn't go that far. When I was a poor college student ~a decade ago, I used ethanol to process outer leaves (fan leaves, which are around 1-2% THC if you're lucky) from outdoor pot grows into lovely hash. It was not very hard, or very time consuming.

I'm in no way trying to argue that the ability to harvest minimal THC content is a good reason for keeping hemp illegal, but let's not be ridiculous. There are places in the US where old industrial hemp has grown wild forever, and I have known people in real life who have found it and processed it exactly as I've suggested, because it's not very hard. Even though the end result isn't anything to write home about, the expense is practically nothing and kids will be kids. Suggesting that the same thing won't continue to happen if industrial hemp suddenly becomes a huge industry seems a little silly to me, since I know from experience that it's already happening right now. The only thing that would really keep that from happening is increased availability of quasi-legal really good weed at a price where it's literally not worth the effort of tossing some hemp into a jar with alcohol for a couple of hours, then filtering it and letting it evaporate in a pyrex dish in your barn for a couple days.

There are a couple of things to consider:
1) It's not just a question of how much THC is in the plant, it's also a question of the ratio of THC to CBD and other cannabinoids. Recreational marijuana has a high ratio because that's what gives the desired effect. Cannabis with lots of CBD and little THC is barely intoxicating and has little recreational value. It might have high medicinal value(since CBD is responsible for a lot of the medicinal effects) but it won't fetch much money on the street.
2) In order to make the process worthwhile, you'd need a lot of hemp. As in, enough to easily draw attention to yourself. It wouldn't be any safer than growing actual marijuana.

So while you may have some individuals doing this(although I've never heard of it nor do I see the point given the amount of labor and the low quality of the results), it's not going to be done on any kind of commercial scale. Diverting hemp to produce hash oil is not cost-effective and it's no safer than growing illicit cannabis. That's probably why diversion is not a serious concern in Canada or other countries where hemp cultivation is permitted.

5-meo-catte
Apr 23, 2012

caffeine
you're all that I wanted in a girl
you're all that I need in the world
I was not trying to insinuate this was a serious concern or a reason to write policy; I'd made a casual suggestion that this is, in fact, possible and several people tried to tell me that it's not. As I know people who have done it, I assure you that it is. The results are not great, but "not great" passes for great hash oil in parts of the flyover country.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
Oregon is inching closer. It's not full legalization but that won't be far off since this was passed by the legislature instead of a ballot measure.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/07/medical_marijuana_bill.html#incart_river_default

Oregonian posted:

The Oregon House on Saturday passed a bill legalizing medical marijuana retail establishments, moving what has been a booming but legally hazy industry squarely into the mainstream and handing medical marijuana advocates a major victory.

House Bill 3460, now headed to Gov. John Kitzhaber’s desk, creates a registry of businesses that sell the medical marijuana. Patients have long sought retail access to cannabis, arguing the state’s rules — grow your own marijuana or have someone do it for you — are unrealistic.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

There have been some updates on the progress of I-502:

"The Liquor Control Board (LCB) is pleased to release the proposed rules for I-502 implementation. These rules reflect the Board’s stated goal of developing a tightly regulated and controlled market, and also demonstrate the agency’s initial thinking on how best to achieve that market. The Board is concerned with out-of-state diversion of product, traceability of products, responsible business practices, youth access and other public and consumer safety issues."

Proposed rules: https://lcb.box.com/proposed-rules

I've only briefly looked over these, but it looks like no changes are being proposed for medical grows (from the FAQ):

Medical Marijuana
Note: I-502 does not address medical marijuana. The state does not currently license or regulate medical marijuana outlets. I-502 does not change how or where they operate.
Q: Can medical marijuana patients continue to cooperatively grow?
A: I-502 is silent on medical marijuana.

http://www.liq.wa.gov/marijuana/faqs_i-502

Also, no residential growing for recreational pot?

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Under the proposed rules, pot shops will have to be 1000 feet or more away from any videogame arcade. Because those exist still. :v:

Everything else in the proposed regulations seems really reasonable, based on glancing over them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Under the proposed rules, pot shops will have to be 1000 feet or more away from any videogame arcade. Because those exist still. :v:

Everything else in the proposed regulations seems really reasonable, based on glancing over them.

Hahahaha. Yeah, no way conservatives are out of touch. :rolleyes:

If it had said 'internet and gaming cafe' or something like that I'd understand. But arcade?

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Warchicken posted:

Hahahaha. Yeah, no way conservatives are out of touch. :rolleyes:

If it had said 'internet and gaming cafe' or something like that I'd understand. But arcade?

Even then, a quick search only turns up only one gaming cafe near Seattle, in Lynnwood and then another a little further out of town in Everett. Gaming cafes are dead and whatever internet cafes that are left are used primarily by homeless people who got banned from the library for jerking off

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Even then, a quick search only turns up only one gaming cafe near Seattle, in Lynnwood and then another a little further out of town in Everett. Gaming cafes are dead and whatever internet cafes that are left are used primarily by homeless people who got banned from the library for jerking off

My best friend just opened one up two months ago and it is doing very well in Mandeville, LA. He has not had a single day that he didn't make profit! I wouldn't say they're dead.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

There's one in downtown Tacoma, and they sell beer. Obviously they don't want the competition.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There's one in downtown Tacoma, and they sell beer. Obviously they don't want the competition.

I'm not sure how much political clout Dorky's Bar has in Olympia, to be honest.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I'm not sure how much political clout Dorky's Bar has in Olympia, to be honest.

I didn't post the :v:, I kind of assumed it was implied.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I assume arcade is in a list of a lot of other places that old people think kids these days hang out in because that's what happens in all the 80's movies?

And that that list includes schools and parks?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

The language was passed in the initiative. If the LCB didn't ban marijuana sales within 1000 feet of "game arcades open to minors," they'd be breaking the law. If you want to blame an old person, I guess you could look to the guy who called his book "Europe Through the Back Door." :haw:

There are still a few arcades around, though. Chuck E Cheese has twelve locations in Washington, and of course there are a bunch of independent "family fun centers" that are shadier than any weed shop. There's plenty of room to debate whether the distance requirement is actually good policy (personally, I'd say no, but on the other hand the initiative authors did a very good job of heading off all the "think of the children!" counter-arguments that could have derailed the whole thing). No matter what side you come down on, though, arcades still exist. The business model of selling kids ten cents' worth of toys for five bucks' worth of tickets out of a rigged machine isn't going anywhere.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

For people who don't live in Seattle, the only arcade I can think of that is open to minors is Gameworks, but there are numerous places in and around downtown where you can play arcade cabinets: Shorty's, John John, Raygun are all within walking distance of Gameworks.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Can somebody link that google map that has grayed out areas where dispensaries/pot shops will be banned? Thanks

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009
It's in Portland Oregon so it doesn't count, but Ground Kontrol is a great arcade and, ironcially, a bar!

I live in southern Washington State near and I'm looking forward to the implementation of I-502. I also expect it will put a lot of pressure on Oregon to basically follow suit as Portlanders (who make up 50% of Oregon's population) cross the river to buy legal weed... although I gather the illegal weed market in Portland is plenty robust.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So does this just apply to arcades open to minors or to all arcades?

edit: for content, CO just released its rules. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/marijuana-legalization_n_3529986.html

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

KingEup posted:

Thanks for sharing that. I had thought something like that was true but wasn't entirely sure. Now I have a study!

I really like CO's rules. I think they're very forward thinking and accurate, especially the one about delayed effects.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

MixMasterMalaria posted:

So does this just apply to arcades open to minors or to all arcades?
Just open to minors, here's the actual text:

quote:

Per RCW 69.50.331, the board shall
not issue a new marijuana license if any of the following are within
one thousand feet of the premises to be licensed: Any elementary or
secondary schools, playgrounds, recreation centers or facilities,
child care centers, public parks, public transit centers, libraries,
game arcade where admission is not restricted to persons twenty-one
years of age or older.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Can somebody link that google map that has grayed out areas where dispensaries/pot shops will be banned? Thanks

This one?

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/01/25/under-i-502-pot-stores-banned-almost-everywhere-in-seattle

The obvious solution is to put your pot business on a small barge 1500 ft offshore.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

The Arizona Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the sheriff of Yuma County has to give back the marijuana that was seized from a MMJ card holder. The sheriff disagrees with the ruling and wants to see the case go to the US Supreme Court to solve the conflict between federal and state laws.

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/pot-88570-rules-case.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Capt. Morgan posted:

The Arizona Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the sheriff of Yuma County has to give back the marijuana that was seized from a MMJ card holder. The sheriff disagrees with the ruling and wants to see the case go to the US Supreme Court to solve the conflict between federal and state laws.

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/pot-88570-rules-case.html

In theory, the state is allowed to enforce federal laws. That's exactly what happen in Michigan - dispensaries were all raided by state and local police - enforcing federal law.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I found this article:

quote:

The trade-off of abuse vs. illicit markets applies to all drugs, but each drug has its own special characteristics. For marijuana, three are most important.

Marijuana is by far the most widely used illegal drug in the United States.
Marijuana markets are not associated with much crime or violence and account for only a small share of incarceration for drug offenses.
Compulsive marijuana use is less debilitating than is compulsive use of heroin, cocaine or alcohol.

While legalization would reduce prices and increase use (including dependent use), the consequences wouldn’t be nearly as grave as a parallel increase in the use of cocaine, meth or heroin. For example, respondents in a national survey were asked whether their use of a given substance causes serious problems with home/work/school and whether it causes problems with family/friends. Among those who likely meet the clinical criteria for cocaine or heroin dependence, two-thirds answered yes to those questions; the corresponding proportions for those dependent on marijuana were only one in three. This is not to minimize the problems of marijuana dependence. Denial is a hallmark of addiction, and more than two million people admit on a survey that their marijuana use is causing them serious life problems. Nevertheless, given the awful choice of having your child be dependent either on marijuana or on cocaine, heroin or meth (or, for that matter, alcohol), marijuana addiction, unappealing as it is, would be the preferred option.
- See more at: http://www.the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=1316#sthash.Bz7GP7TO.dpuf

Would someone care to explain how you can make a trade-off between prohibition related murder and self harm? Are these people suggesting we can find some kind of 'sweet spot' where prohibition related murder is reduced but not zero (presumably at some bizarre 'acceptable level') and self harm is kept in check? Because gently caress that poo poo. I want prohibition related murder to be nil. Reducing self harm should be a secondary concern.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

KingEup posted:

So I found this article:

Would someone care to explain how you can make a trade-off between prohibition related murder and self harm? Are these people suggesting we can find some kind of 'sweet spot' where prohibition related murder is reduced but not zero (presumably at some bizarre 'acceptable level') and self harm is kept in check? Because gently caress that poo poo. I want prohibition related murder to be nil. Reducing self harm should be a secondary concern.

You'd make a terrible engineer :v: The first 90% is easy, the last 10% is almost impossible. The fact there is an 'acceptable level' isn't bizarre, even if having to sit down and work out what that level would be is a bit macabre.

• Locked thread