Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

From the "duct tape fixes everything" files:

Former coworker's (now former) car. At least he used matching duct tape.

He drove it like that for nearly a year. Being an 03 Quad Coupe Ion, it died from what kills every 03-04 Quad Coupe - the horrifically lovely CVT transmission. I'm amazed it made it to 140k, they usually poo poo themselves by about 60-70k.

If you didn't already know, the fender (well, most of the body panels, except for hood, roof, and trunk) on that car is plastic, hence all the tape. No idea why he taped up the hood so much though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Wouldn't want your dented hood to rust. Might lower the resale value and/or become the recipient of hateful glares from water-cooled Volkswagen owners.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e:nvm

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Has any car with more than a lawnmower engine had a successful CVT? It seems like they have an incredibly high rate of failure between cars like the Saturns and the A4s from the early 2000s.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Das Volk posted:

Has any car with more than a lawnmower engine had a successful CVT? It seems like they have an incredibly high rate of failure between cars like the Saturns and the A4s from the early 2000s.

Maxima, Murano etc. Seen some pretty high mileage Maximas used as taxis - pretty sure it was just poor fuel economy that saw them fall out of favour not the transmissions.

I think a lot of the issues with earlier models was down to incorrect maintenance - especially on some of the earlier stuff like the Japanese V35 Skyline that required model specific (not just CVT specific) fluid.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Volk posted:

The later Nissan ones have been quite reliable, including the ones used on the Dodge Caliber/Jeep Compass/Patriot that have low range transfer cases.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

The later Nissan ones have been quite reliable, including the ones used on the Dodge Caliber/Jeep Compass/Patriot that have low range transfer cases.

Nissan, Chrysler and Mitsubishi all use Jatco CVTs, which have some documented problems. I don't know how the failure rate is compared to conventional automatics though. People tend to bitch louder about issues perceived to be caused by poor/defective design rather than an isolated failure so CVT-related problems are probably over-reported.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Don't some of the new Minis have a CVT?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Das Volk posted:

Saturn only used them for 2 model years on the Ion, and 3 on the Vue - they had a high enough failure rate that they switched back to traditional automatics. I don't think GM has dabbled with a CVT in the US since then. In the Ion, you can replace it with the 5 speed Aisan automatic from the 02-04 sedan (with matching TCM, but no ECU reflash required) - GM also quit using that in 2005, but that was due to complaints on how it shifted, not reliability.

The Toyota Prius, at least since the 2nd generation, has been using a CVT, and the Prius is pretty drat reliable. That said, the Prius puts down a bit less power than the Ion and Vue, and tends to have owners who barely touch the gas.

The Altima and Maxima have only been available with a CVT for a few years, and the only automatic choice for the Versa, Cube, and Sentra is a CVT. I think the CVT is also your only option on their minivan and unibody-based SUVs. I think the Pathfinder is now only available with a CVT, but Nissan moved that to a unibody platform for the 2013 MY.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 8, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Even though the Prius is less powerful, doesn't it put down a good amount of torque at low RPMs, by virtue of it being a hybrid?

Yeah 295lb-ft at 0rpm. One would think that would be tougher on a CVT than the horsepower. Maybe because the Prius uses a planetary CVT instead of belts.

Polymerized Cum fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 8, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

The Toyota Prius, at least since the 2nd generation, has been using a CVT, and the Prius is pretty drat reliable. That said, the Prius puts down a bit less power than the Ion and Vue, and tends to have owners who barely touch the gas.

The Hybrid Synergy Drive is only a "CVT" in the sense that the end result is a drivetrain that doesn't have any gears. It doesn't have anything in common mechanically with the Nissan CVTs which are systems of belts and pulleys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive#Principle

The way it works is sort of like a full time AWD system, except in reverse. So a planetary gear set is receiving 2 sources of torque, one from the ICE and one from the electric motor, and blending the 2 together seamlessly to power the front wheels. The Chevy Volt works in about the same way.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I love that my hybrid is a manual, however I dislike that the electric motor is a piece of poo poo and can't power the car on it's own, so in that regard I probably would have been better off with a civic. I didn't even get a sweet tax break either :freep:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's not gonna be cheap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ ouch

`Nemesis posted:

Spotted at the local grocery store....

A little old lady who could barely walk was the owner of it.... sad
We've got an old hoarder like that here too. He'd loving grab anything on the side of the road, stuff it in the car, repeat. He'd do this until the car was full, park it at his farm, buy another $500 jalopy and repeat. He probably has 20 cars on his farm just outside of town. I can take a photo if anyone wants.

A co-worker saw him pickup a roadkill rabbit and throw it in his car.

Guy is obviously mentally ill though. About 15 years ago he had a fire in his main house and when the fire dept came to extinguish it they couldn't find his wife to rescue her due to all the poo poo piled in the house so she died in the fire. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
And I thought it was bad when I cleaned my friend's car, and the glovebox was a 2" deep miniature ballpit of M&Ms.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Das Volk posted:

Definitely seems hit or miss depending on manufacturer but some are ok. My father has a 2006 Ford 500 with the 200hp 3.0 and the CVT and it's been troublefree for 150k. Boring as hell to drive, but very reliable. CVTs really have the worst drive feel ever, though.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I am actually quite impressed with what Nissan has done with their CVTs.. From a technical standpoint that is. I would not buy one, but my friend has a sentra and the drive train is not the first thing I'd complain about.

I really like Ford's powershift or whatever it is branded. Is anyone else going that route? The only thing going against it is people who have only ever driven automatic freak out when they feel the clutch work at low speeds.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

The Altima and Maxima have only been available with a CVT for a few years, and the only automatic choice for the Versa, Cube, and Sentra is a CVT. I think the CVT is also your only option on their minivan and unibody-based SUVs. I think the Pathfinder is now only available with a CVT, but Nissan moved that to a unibody platform for the 2013 MY.

I can't speak for the other models, but my 2011 Versa HB has a 4 speed automatic, no CVT. gently caress that poo poo. I hate them. It isn't natural! I keep waiting for the shift and it never does. Drove me insane on the test drive.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Math You posted:

I really like Ford's powershift or whatever it is branded. Is anyone else going that route? The only thing going against it is people who have only ever driven automatic freak out when they feel the clutch work at low speeds.
Dodge put a similar DCT in the new Dart, but they're going to start offering a 9-speed auto in it now. In part due to how much people hate the DCT. Ford has taken flak for the DCT in the Fiesta too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Math You posted:

I am actually quite impressed with what Nissan has done with their CVTs.. From a technical standpoint that is. I would not buy one, but my friend has a sentra and the drive train is not the first thing I'd complain about.

The problem with nissan drvietrains is the engine. I drove a versa with the CVT, and it's like they took an early 00s poo poo engine and bolted it to a modern CVT. it's loud and buzzy and always running at a bajillion RPM.

With a modern engine that makes peak power lower in the rev range, it would be far more tolerable.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Devyl posted:

I just noticed the window is open. How bad was the smell? I've noticed hoarders' houses range from 'slightly skunky' to 'sticking a pound of ground beef under the sink in a small trashcan, adding a cup of water, leaving it covered for a month, then taking a huge sniff'.

Don't know, pretty sure I was up wind.... But a lot of that garbage looked like food wrappers and other disgusting mess so I assume it has to be horrible.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
This is why I hate Ohio:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3922345929.html

"...32k miles...7500 obo"

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Don't some of the new Minis have a CVT?

Yep. My sister had one. It poo poo the bed and died an early death. Thankfully(?) just after the CVT suicided her neighborhood in Houston flooded after a hurricane and she come out of it with a total loss.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The CVT in the Subaru has really grown on me. Took some getting used to, but having the engine go right to the power band and staying there when passing actually works pretty well in practice but seems really disconcerting at first.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

YF19pilot posted:

This is why I hate Ohio:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3922345929.html

"...32k miles...7500 obo"

Come on, man. There are plenty of other reasons to hate Ohio that don't include an overpriced secretary special Mustang from the 90s. Things like the Governor and AG, idiots from the middle of the state flying Confederate flags on poorly maintained farm trucks with dubious looking suspension lifts, my old high school, and all of Lake county!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Come on, man. There are plenty of other reasons to hate Ohio that don't include an overpriced secretary special Mustang from the 90s. Things like the Governor and AG, idiots from the middle of the state flying Confederate flags on poorly maintained farm trucks with dubious looking suspension lifts, my old high school, and all of Lake county!

It's not just the overpriced secretary special. It's the overpriced used car market and lack of anything cheap or reasonably priced that I could pick up as a project. I wish I saved a screen shot, but I've seen someone selling an SUV rolled over on its roof in the middle of the field for $7k. As in, the truck was still in the middle of some random farm field, on its roof.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Sweet bodywork. The drivers side looks like cake frosting.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It blows my mind because I've seen trailer fenders for about $30 a pop that would do a better job. I really, really want to see how it's attached to the body. My bet is on fiberglass.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

YF19pilot posted:

It's not just the overpriced secretary special. It's the overpriced used car market and lack of anything cheap or reasonably priced that I could pick up as a project. I wish I saved a screen shot, but I've seen someone selling an SUV rolled over on its roof in the middle of the field for $7k. As in, the truck was still in the middle of some random farm field, on its roof.

Fair enough, and that thing with the truck doesn't surprise me at all. Ohio stupid is a special kind of stupid. Honestly, that's the biggest problem with that state, it's full of Ohioans.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The driver had a mountain-man beard and had the bass cranked up about 2 clicks past ear-splitting.

Bonus: The black 2-door (Honda?) had all his windows down during the tornado-warning storm. Dude had to be soaked.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Did not ask price, anything would have been too high

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
How do such things exist? The number of people needing a body kit for a Chevy Corsica can't be enough to break even.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

iForge posted:

The driver had a mountain-man beard and had the bass cranked up about 2 clicks past ear-splitting.

Bonus: The black 2-door (Honda?) had all his windows down during the tornado-warning storm. Dude had to be soaked.

I never knew cougars existed between the barge they became in the 70s and the horrible new edge model from the turn of the milennium. Are they any good? Their anonymity suggests not

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Polymerized Cum posted:

How do such things exist? The number of people needing a body kit for a Chevy Corsica can't be enough to break even.

I'm going to wager that it was not designed to go on a Corsica.

sadnessboner posted:

I never knew cougars existed between the barge they became in the 70s and the horrible new edge model from the turn of the milennium. Are they any good? Their anonymity suggests not

My uncle has a 6th gen turbo 5-speed that he's kept forever because he says it's a blast to drive.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 9, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mistayke posted:

I can't speak for the other models, but my 2011 Versa HB has a 4 speed automatic, no CVT. gently caress that poo poo. I hate them. It isn't natural! I keep waiting for the shift and it never does. Drove me insane on the test drive.

The Versa dropped the 4 speed for the 2012 model year redesign. 2011 gave the choice of manual, 4 speed auto, or the CVT.

I'd say a 4 speed automatic in a 2011 car is equally unnatural though. :v:

e: weird, wikipedia says the 1st gen could be had with a 6 speed manual, while the 2nd get gets a 5 speed manual instead. :iiam:

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

The Versa dropped the 4 speed for the 2012 model year redesign. 2011 gave the choice of manual, 4 speed auto, or the CVT.

I'd say a 4 speed automatic in a 2011 car is equally unnatural though. :v:

e: weird, wikipedia says the 1st gen could be had with a 6 speed manual, while the 2nd get gets a 5 speed manual instead. :iiam:

Honestly, the car purrs at 2700 rpm at around 73MPH. Very quiet on the highway. I love the car :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sadnessboner posted:

Basically a T-Bird, but I've always liked the notch back style over the T-Bird.
To this day, I would love a minty 1990-ish Supercharged XR7.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I had a Nissan Rogue with the CVT as a production rental two weeks ago in Albuquerque. I usually hate CVTs but it was actually quite nice to drive, hardly noticed the transmission.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

:siren:DRAGON ATTACK:siren:

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

*Ahack