Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
the fruit should sink back down when all of the Co2 gets released form the fruits after they ferment. Sometimes they don't sink, but its not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a decent lager recipe, perhaps preferably a clone of Sam Adams Boston Lager (for thematic purposes). Also, we just got a fridge for lagering, so suggestions on that process would be welcome as well. I'll also be reading up on it in whatever various brewing books I can get my hands on.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

firebad57 posted:

I'm looking for a decent lager recipe, perhaps preferably a clone of Sam Adams Boston Lager (for thematic purposes). Also, we just got a fridge for lagering, so suggestions on that process would be welcome as well. I'll also be reading up on it in whatever various brewing books I can get my hands on.

I can mail you some Boston tap water if you pay the shipping. Get real authentic (except I think it's brewed in PA)

/\ That's also a joke, unless you really want to pay for shipping on 60 pounds of water.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

(except I think it's brewed in PA)

No worries, I got ya covered in that case. I'll just head down to lake Erie and fill up a couple buckets for you.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I can mail you some Boston tap water if you pay the shipping. Get real authentic (except I think it's brewed in PA)

/\ That's also a joke, unless you really want to pay for shipping on 60 pounds of water.

Bad Munki posted:

No worries, I got ya covered in that case. I'll just head down to lake Erie and fill up a couple buckets for you.

Thanks, guys! But I was hoping to use Jim Koch's frothing spittle for the mash, so...

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
And to top off the best ever :barf: Hot dog beer, you can use water from the Charles River which is pretty much just Corpse Tea

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And to top off the best ever :barf: Hot dog beer,

Decided to dig around and see if I could find any pictures of the hotdog brew, found a post on HBT: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/swine-bru-386808/

Definitely the same guy, I remember the name now.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Decided to dig around and see if I could find any pictures of the hotdog brew, found a post on HBT: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/swine-bru-386808/

Oh my loving god.... :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Wait so this guy has done MORE Than one Alcohol using processed meat products?

EDIT:

/\ HBT.jpg

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
completely randomly i came across some threads talking about late extract additions giving a better, lighter beer vs the 'burning' of the sugars involved.

Typically all my extracts said after the grains are in and steeped, remove and add extract, then give a good 60 min boil (adding all the hops during times, etc)

The latest thinking is that you can add just a partial extract amount during the initial boil, and add the rest anywhere from 15 min to flameout (just making sure everything is mixed).

The reason being is that the hot break is really the second one happening, the first was already done in creating the extract. Im all for changing instructions up, as im taking the intent of the recipie vs the step by step into account.

Thoughts on adding 5lbs (from 6.3) golden malt extract in a very late addition to the boil vs before the initial 60 min ?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Roundboy posted:

completely randomly i came across some threads talking about late extract additions giving a better, lighter beer vs the 'burning' of the sugars involved.

Typically all my extracts said after the grains are in and steeped, remove and add extract, then give a good 60 min boil (adding all the hops during times, etc)

The latest thinking is that you can add just a partial extract amount during the initial boil, and add the rest anywhere from 15 min to flameout (just making sure everything is mixed).

The reason being is that the hot break is really the second one happening, the first was already done in creating the extract. Im all for changing instructions up, as im taking the intent of the recipie vs the step by step into account.

Thoughts on adding 5lbs (from 6.3) golden malt extract in a very late addition to the boil vs before the initial 60 min ?

Basically, because the extract has already undergone a boil, all you really need to do is pasteurize it. I used to do about 20% of my extract at 60 and then throw the rest in for the last 5 minutes or so. This results in less caramelization of the sugars and lighter color, along with arguably less "extract twang" flavors.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Less extract in the main boil is also supposed to increase hop utilization.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Oh cool facts. Noted!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can account for the difference in hop utilization using Beersmith or any other recipe calculator. Plug in the recipe with the late extract addition and see how much higher the IBUs come out. Then bump down the bittering hops quantities a little bit to get the IBUs down to what you want.

You can plug in the recipe as-written, without the late extract addition, to get an idea of what kind of bitterness to aim for if you don't know.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
im making a porter, so the color is not as important .. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/WhiteHouseHoneyPorter.pdf

but im planning on adding the honey at flameout instead of 60 min boil.

.5 oz nugget @ 45
.5 oz nugget @ 30
.5 Hallertau @ flameout

extract is just 6.3 # lme that i plan on adding just a pound or so after grains and the rest at the very end. I dont have beersmith so im not sure how this affects the 10 HBUs used.

Plus i have a suspicion that the first few steps of NB kits are all the same (boil 2.5 gal water, steep grains, add malt, add hops on schedule) and they really dont change between styles

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
What a brew day. Propane went out after my sparge so I couldn't mash out. Mash was converting for ~90 minutes instead of 60 and the first wort hopping I did was for an hour instead of 20 minutes. Then I forgot to put the copper coil in while the beer was boiling, but it was still over 200F when I put it in, should be sanitized. Then there was some contact with unsanitized objects due to me rushing. Oh well we'll see how it turns out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Another dumb first batch question - doing an IPA, finished primary. I don't have a secondary fermentor, so I'm leaving it in primary for an extra week - since the recipe has a dry hop step, I just added those to primary when it finished yesterday. Should I let the dry hop sit for a full week before bottling? Should I take another gravity reading now, just before I add the priming solution, or at some other point? Also, the recipe I'm using just calls for 2/3 C. sugar dissolved in 16 oz. water, is there something more precise than that I should follow?

edit: VVV - sorry, misspoke. 2/3C sugar, dissolved to a syrup in 16 oz. water, then that solution is added to the beer (5 gallon batch).

Hauki fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 9, 2013

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
That sounds like a poo poo ton of sugar, unless I'm missing something.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Hauki posted:

Another dumb first batch question - doing an IPA, finished primary. I don't have a secondary fermentor, so I'm leaving it in primary for an extra week - since the recipe has a dry hop step, I just added those to primary when it finished yesterday. Should I let the dry hop sit for a full week before bottling? Should I take another gravity reading now, just before I add the priming solution, or at some other point? Also, the recipe I'm using just calls for 2/3 C. sugar dissolved in 16 oz. water, is there something more precise than that I should follow?

edit: VVV - sorry, misspoke. 2/3C sugar, dissolved to a syrup in 16 oz. water, then that solution is added to the beer (5 gallon batch).

Yeah, let it sit for a full week. Take a gravity reading when you're going to be bottling, but before you add the priming sugar. If you want something more precise, you can use a priming calculator like this one or that one. They'll give you the right weight you want for the type of sugar you use.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is it worth trying to fix a barleywine that fermented way too dry (FG 1.012 at 12% ABV) with maltodextrin/lactose or should I just let it ride? Would copious dry hops help much with the thin mouthfeel?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to do a couple of beers to grow a yeast cake up for some big beers (barleywine/RIS). I've already done one porter on it, does anyone have any fun all grain stout recipes that I could throw onto it? Double points if it uses fuggles

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Is it worth trying to fix a barleywine that fermented way too dry (FG 1.012 at 12% ABV) with maltodextrin/lactose or should I just let it ride? Would copious dry hops help much with the thin mouthfeel?

The only thing you're going to need is a 12oz bottle only policy for that beer. Hops aren't going to help with mouthfeel at this point as far as I am concerned, but some backsweetening might help.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I am so excited, I just picked up that 7 cubic foot, 5 star reviewed chest freezer from Home Depot and a temperature controller so I can ferment in the summer in the desert. Finally no more ice packs and showers and buckets of water and t-shirts and poo poo. Total cost with tax only $210 :homebrew:

First batch is going to be the White House Honey Ale

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I stopped at my LHBS and hung with my buddy for a bit who works there. He said they recently got in Blackprinz malt, which is supposed to be very good and the only other malt one of their customers uses in an oatmeal stout that's supposed to be great. From reading it seems that it's more suited as a color adding malt, not much of a flavor addition. Has anyone used this and have any comments?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did the SMaSH Saison yesterday. Simple recipe:

10 lbs Belgian 2-Row
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 30
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 10
1 Packet Danstar Belle Saison

OG was 1.048, ended up with about 5.5 gallons. Definitely had a lot of hop notes in the sample I pulled. Possibly too much hoppiness, but I'm sure a lot of the aromatics will disappear in the week it's going to spend in my garage. Nobody seems to know what the upper limit of Danstar's new yeast is, but I read some posts on an Australian forum about guys letting it get to 95F in their garages so I figure I'm safe with letting it stay in the 80-90+ range that my garage gets to. This yeast is an absolute monster; less than 12 hours after pitching its already bubbling like mad and the yeast cake is an inch thick. I'll post a pic of the setup and the progress tonight.

Biggest mistake was that I used a glass carboy in the garage, so I have to be really careful about UV exposure. I'll wrap it in a towel when I get home to provide some coverage. Glad I thought about it this morning; my wife was planning on painting in the garage and would have left the door open all day. Current plan is to let it ferment until Sunday, bottle it, and have it ready by the time we leave for the beach on the 28th.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ubik posted:

I just got three pounds of sour Michigan cherries from the local farmers' market that I want to put in the sour beer I've had aging for the last 9 months. What's the best way to prepare and add them? I'd like to keep the beer in the same carboy if possible, but I understand the need to avoid adding excess oxygen to the beer. I'm planning on removing the stems but not the seeds, but I don't know whether I want to freeze the cherries first or simply add them as-is.
A guy down the street has a tart cherry tree in his yard and lets me pick as much as I want. I usually can get a few pounds before a mass of birds comes through and picks it clean in under a half hour. I usually do a flanders red about once a year and end up using them in that. Obviously you wouldn't just want to dump them in a clean beer, but with sour beers I've had great luck just washing them and breaking them open with a potato masher. If you are in a hurry you may want to process them further, but given a few months the bugs in a sour ale will have no problem breaking those things down and gnawing on the pits. The pits seem to add an earthy almost almond flavor and the skins give a detectable amount of tannins, two things that I now notice missing when I have a cherry beer made with concentrate. That said, the montmorency cherry concentrates work excellent for priming a Flemish kriek of any kind. Takes a little while longer to smooth out and fully carbonate but you wouldn't be making a sour beer if you were in a hurry, right? That seems to trap an intense cherry pie flavor in the bottle that everyone I've shared it with goes nuts over.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Finally got my hop filter together. I was kind of sick of paying $4 for 10 muslin bags. Seemed to work out pretty well, the bags are kind of a pain to clean though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freezer is absolutely dead. Guy said it was bone dry in there, and that there's a leak somewhere (I suspected) but the leak is inside the wall of the freezer somewhere. It'd cost a couple hundred to have it recharged anyhow, and there's no way to know if it would then run for a year or a day. So I guess I have some freezer shopping to do. :(

I'm hoping I can find one that is the same size. Then I could just pop the lid off the old one, put it on the new one, and I'm done.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

I am so excited, I just picked up that 7 cubic foot, 5 star reviewed chest freezer from Home Depot and a temperature controller so I can ferment in the summer in the desert. Finally no more ice packs and showers and buckets of water and t-shirts and poo poo. Total cost with tax only $210 :homebrew:

First batch is going to be the White House Honey Ale

I was looking at this exact freezer; I take it it will fit a 6 gallon Better Bottle or bucket no problem? Will it fit two?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

EnsignVix posted:

Finally got my hop filter together. I was kind of sick of paying $4 for 10 muslin bags. Seemed to work out pretty well, the bags are kind of a pain to clean though.

I've heard of PVC hop spiders melting so you might want to keep that in mind.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

I've heard of PVC hop spiders melting so you might want to keep that in mind.

Can't be as bad as that time I was caramelizing some honey and stupidly used a white plastic spoon (I wanted to see the color against white and gently caress Dripping it on a napkin or something).

*This bochet may or may not contain chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

*This bochet may or may not contain chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California

ALL chemicals are known by the state of California to cause cancer.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Life itself causes cancer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

ALL chemicals are known by the state of California to cause cancer.

McDonalds French Fries, not withstanding.

And to stay on topic. FRENCH FRY BEER and Hot Dog Beer Pairing :barf:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

McDonalds French Fries, not withstanding.

And to stay on topic. FRENCH FRY BEER and Hot Dog Beer Pairing :barf:

Don't forget the ketchup and mustard wines!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Don't forget the ketchup and mustard wines!

I had a Gruit with forward mustard seed in it, and it was pretty good.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Does anyone have experience brewing with black currants, by any chance? I'm trying to find some direction on what type of beer to make with them / how much of them to use.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
well they are tart, so maybe some kind of hef? But every time I buy currant products for home-brewing I always end up eating it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case anyone isn't following the general (non-brewing) beer thread, the Kindle version of The Oxford Companion to Beer is currently $3.79.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

RiggenBlaque posted:

Does anyone have experience brewing with black currants, by any chance? I'm trying to find some direction on what type of beer to make with them / how much of them to use.

I'd consider a wit, but that's 95% because you can call it some variation of "Black and Wit"