Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I just got an email saying an answer is correct, so maybe something failed? Try sending another email. They've been p. cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pokeyman posted:

Hey, these are the jerks who had an "email us and we'll give you some cool crypto problems to solve", and I did and they never wrote back so I wrote again and they still never wrote back so now I'm sad.

I emailed them and they gave me some cool crypto problems to solve (and then more when I solved them, rinse repeat).

Maybe it's just you?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

You're telling me its impossible to create a completely cryptographically secure communication application in the browser? Thats an interesting claim.

What is it about browser based applications that makes them impossible to achieve security?

Are you copy-pasting from Hacker News right now or are you serious? Have you ever used a computer before?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Who is "how!" and does he work for cryptocat or something that he feels the need to (re?)register just to derail the thread over his sadly feeble point?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

You're telling me its impossible to create a completely cryptographically secure communication application in the browser? Thats an interesting claim.

What is it about browser based applications that makes them impossible to achieve security?

The sandboxing which doesn't work. The fact that users routinely download and run untrusted code in their browser every day. Flash. The lack of mlocking. Java. Garbage collection pauses that can make timing analysis laughably easy. Lack of access to decent entropy pool.

These are off the top of my head, I can probably think of a few more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's also the fact that if you're relying on javascript code provided by a server to do crypto for you, you might as just send the data to that server and have it do the crypto there. Your data is exactly as (in-)secure.

If you're going to write an extension or something that people install on their computer, you should just bundle scrypt with it and then your extension can be a wrapper around that instead of trying to roll your own crypto (which you will gently caress up).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Who is "how!" and does he work for cryptocat or something that he feels the need to (re?)register just to derail the thread over his sadly feeble point?

Here have some reading material:
how!!
NBV4(Pre how!! How)]

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 7, 2013

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

ExcessBLarg! posted:

His post does contain an opinion ("CryptoCat sucks"), but it's backed by facts and verifiable statements that enable other experts to agree with his assessment or refute it.

The presentation of these not-previously-known facts and the originality of the investigation alone make his post constructive. It's not, not constructive just because it may offend some folks.

Not to mention the guy submitted a patch that generated stronger keys. Sounds pretty constructive to me. I assume how didn't actually read the post, or else he was so blinded by the tone that he didn't notice the content.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Hughlander posted:

Here have some reading material:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=results&requestid=7083111

drat can't find the pre-How username thought a google search for 'makes lovely threads' would find it but it didn't.

nbv4?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Thanks, but that url tag is broken and the search url just returns "Sorry, there were no more results matching your search query to display." so that's a bit less material than i had hoped for.

Did you mean he's the OP in this immortal classic http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216686#post367234074 ?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 7, 2013

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Thanks, but that url tag is broken and the search url just returns "Sorry, there were no more results matching your search query to display." so that's a bit less material than i had hoped for.

Did you mean he's the OP in this immortal classic http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216686#post367234074?

I fixed it (SA added a redirect to find posts by user that I didn't notice.) and added the 2nd username, but yes that's who it's referring to.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Is how!! really nbv4? This explains so much.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Least surprising reveal in CoC history.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

shrughes is teapot.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
shruges posts don't have enough commas to be teapot posts

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

csammis posted:

shruges posts don't have enough commas to be teapot posts

btw guys, I'm yegge.

Edit:
Man, I completely forgot the whole nbv4/how!! thing. I'm getting old.

floWenoL fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 7, 2013

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
C++ code:
#define pirate private

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I found this in a third party header file the other day:

code:
#ifdef (__sun__)
#define signed
#endif
with no corresponding #undef. Imagine my surprise when I pulled in that header and our Solaris build broke in <climits> due to multiple definitions of std::numeric_limits<char> :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

seiken posted:

C++ code:
#define pirate private

I think this is a pretty reasonable define to put in.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Crypography is the kind of thing where if you understand the concepts, building a cryptocat site is trivial. If you don't understand the concepts, then cryptography is hard.

"Whoever thinks his problem can be solved using cryptography, doesn't understand his problem and doesn't understand cryptography."

-- Roger Needham/Butler Lampson (who attribute it to each other)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

tef posted:

"Whoever thinks his problem can be solved using cryptography, doesn't understand his problem and doesn't understand cryptography."

-- Roger Needham/Butler Lampson (who attribute it to each other)

Sounds like someone should have cryptographically signed their comment.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but cryptography is a complicated subject. Could its implementation ever be classified as trivial? Even more so if you are involved with important details / security.

I will stick with using libraries from trusted, more knowledgeable developers.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Don Mega posted:

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but cryptography is a complicated subject. Could its implementation ever be classified as trivial? Even more so if you are involved with important details / security.

I will stick with using libraries from trusted, more knowledgeable developers.

It's easy as poo poo to create a one-time pad that is impossible to crack!

Snarkiness aside, it depends on what exactly you're implementing. Yes a lot of the larger/more useful applications of cryptography are very hard and totally nontrivial.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

qntm posted:

Sounds like someone should have cryptographically signed their comment.

You must not understand mistaken attribution and you must not understand cryptography!

Seriously though that quote doesn't make any sense. Am I misinterpreting or is it really trying to say that cryptography cannot solve any problems?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Just like regexes :v:

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Just like regexes :v:

You mean those things I use to parse HTML?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

So today I edited a file with 4 space indenting, tab indenting, 2 space indenting, and I believe there was a few lines with 5 space indenting. And of course tabs and spaces mixed on the same line. What I really love is the if that is indented with spaces, except for the closing brace, so it's way over to the right.

Sticky Profits
Aug 12, 2011

zergstain posted:

So today I edited a file with 4 space indenting, tab indenting, 2 space indenting, and I believe there was a few lines with 5 space indenting. And of course tabs and spaces mixed on the same line. What I really love is the if that is indented with spaces, except for the closing brace, so it's way over to the right.

I avoid this by insisting my coworkers right-align all code.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Your IDE doesn't manage whitespace for you? What a primitive environment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zergstain posted:

This sounds like a problem that could be solved with a quick ctrl-shift-F.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You mean Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Our team is currently reviewing our c++ style guide (our current one is basically badly adapted from an old C style guide so a lot of stuff is missing/inappropriate) and today we spent a good 30 minutes discussing whether or not there should be a space between if and (

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Everyone uses vi/vim. I'm sure if we used an IDE, people would just configure the indenting the way they like and we'd still have the same problem. And I know vim can take care of it, but good luck pushing everybody to use the same config.

Edit: As much as I'd love to, reformatting the whole file is frowned upon because I would show up on every line on CVS annotate (primitive is right, but we're working on a Perforce migration, not sure if that will help in this case though).

zergstain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 8, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dicky B posted:

Our team is currently reviewing our c++ style guide (our current one is basically badly adapted from an old C style guide so a lot of stuff is missing/inappropriate) and today we spent a good 30 minutes discussing whether or not there should be a space between if and (

Yes, there should be.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You need a smaller review meeting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What about if( <expr> ){?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jabor posted:

kill yourself

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jabor posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And yes, there should be a space, because if is not a function call.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

code:
if (<expr>){
  <statement1>
} else {
  <statement2>
}
:arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU