Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

dr.gigolo posted:

I worked with the director of that movie. Coincidentally, we're both part of SEIU 1021, which represents a large amount of BART employees. Despite how much my coworkers complained about being part of them, they did manage to save a lot of jobs for us.

As a union guy and as someone who doesn't have to take BART, I stand behind them as they haven't had a raise in five years. I know asking for 23% over three years is a lot, but I know that they won't get it and they're most likely starting with a high number to negotiate with.
If they haven't had a raise in five years, then a 23% raise over three years represents (assuming inflation holds roughly steady) about a 4%-7% raise in actual spending power from 2008 to 2016 (somebody please correct my inflation math if I'm wrong; going off of CPI).

And this is their starting point. They almost certainly plan to compromise from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the 23% was salary + benefits. The salary-only number came out to something like 18% I think.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
As usual, the popular debate is about whether the workers are being greedy. How messed up is that?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On another note looks like CA actually has a real world version of this Plague Inc disease:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/health/a-disease-without-a-cure-spreads-quietly-in-the-west.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mayor Dave posted:

Cross-posting from a few other threads:

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

Yet another horrifying facet of justice in California.

CA's prison industrial complex could really be it's own thread unto itself since it's absolutely one of the worst ones in the nation. It owes a lot of this to the Gate's brand of police protectionism (all signs point to the fucker letting LA burn during the riots just to make it clear holding them accountable for anything will not be tolerated) that is ingrained into every police force in the state now, the CCPOA which really is a horrible boogie man of a union that conservatives think all unions are, and the detestable three strikes law which thanks to the CCPOA will probably never get repealed.

I mean I love my state and all, but our prison/justice system is rotten to the very core and I'm not surprised by that in the least bit.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

A Winner is Jew posted:

CA's prison industrial complex could really be it's own thread unto itself since it's absolutely one of the worst ones in the nation. It owes a lot of this to the Gate's brand of police protectionism (all signs point to the fucker letting LA burn during the riots just to make it clear holding them accountable for anything will not be tolerated) that is ingrained into every police force in the state now, the CCPOA which really is a horrible boogie man of a union that conservatives think all unions are, and the detestable three strikes law which thanks to the CCPOA will probably never get repealed.

I mean I love my state and all, but our prison/justice system is rotten to the very core and I'm not surprised by that in the least bit.

The Prison threads have always been quite heavily about California, or King Cali as HidingFromGoro says.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

As far as I'm aware, LA is the only city in the US with a light rail system that doesn't connect it to the airport.
FUNFACT: The trolley system in San Diego (light rail) goes quite close to but does not connect with the airport!

:pseudo:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

bawfuls posted:

FUNFACT: The trolley system in San Diego (light rail) goes quite close to but does not connect with the airport!

:pseudo:

Yeah, apparently there's a couple of cities that do stupid stuff like that. Doesn't make it any less of a travesty.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah, apparently there's a couple of cities that do stupid stuff like that. Doesn't make it any less of a travesty.

LA is by far the largest that does this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zeitgueist posted:

The trolley is drat close, though. Probably a mile or less and they have specific buses running to the airport from the close stations. The San Diego airport is in a really bad place geographically and can basically only be accessed by a huge bottleneck on the eastern (busy) side and coming in through the west takes driving all the way out through Point Loma.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

The trolley is drat close, though. Probably a mile or less and they have specific buses running to the airport from the close stations. The San Diego airport is in a really bad place geographically and can basically only be accessed by a huge bottleneck on the eastern (busy) side and coming in through the west takes driving all the way out through Point Loma.

LAX's situation is worse, it has 2 major freeways including one that funnels cars directly to it, and the other is arguably the worst in LA(the 405). Also the actual portion of the airport you can access by car is a tiny horseshoe that is laughable to everyone who's ever been to an airport like JFK, and it's essentially been an continual traffic jam for several decades straight.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone following the (runoff) special election for state Senate between Vidak and Perez? Is out on vacation and when I got back I think half the mail was idiot fliers for it. TV and radio ads are getting comical as well. (Would be nice to see someone use the label liberal as a positive... Where are you Santos?)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Zeitgueist posted:

LAX's situation is worse, it has 2 major freeways including one that funnels cars directly to it, and the other is arguably the worst in LA(the 405). Also the actual portion of the airport you can access by car is a tiny horseshoe that is laughable to everyone who's ever been to an airport like JFK, and it's essentially been an continual traffic jam for several decades straight.

San Diego has long been trying to find an alternative site for a new airport, even considering an offshore, artificial island to house it, but being San Diego, they can't do anything. The downtown location is really nice as a traveler, though- it's feasible to take a taxi almost anywhere in the city proper from the airport without it being offensive.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Anyone following the (runoff) special election for state Senate between Vidak and Perez? Is out on vacation and when I got back I think half the mail was idiot fliers for it. TV and radio ads are getting comical as well. (Would be nice to see someone use the label liberal as a positive... Where are you Santos?)

I'm following it. Its in my area. High speed rail is bad, because government, but aqueduct projects are good, because farming.

Perez comes across a lot better in person than on TV. Vidak seems like one of those dudes who is a moron but thinks he is smart because he lives in an area with lots of morons and has money.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Glass of Milk posted:

San Diego has long been trying to find an alternative site for a new airport, even considering an offshore, artificial island to house it, but being San Diego, they can't do anything. The downtown location is really nice as a traveler, though- it's feasible to take a taxi almost anywhere in the city proper from the airport without it being offensive.

Pilots loving hate Lindbergh. It's an awful approach.

Here's a big excerpted part of that Levine article I mentioned, this one about Fiji water tyrant Lynda Resnick and her awful husband. They want us to go to war with Iran so they can sell more pistachios.

Really.

http://mondoweiss.net/2013/07/oliga...obbied-for.html

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

You can get from the San Diego airport to the Gaslamp in ten minutes on the bus. It is fantastic. Unfortunately, you will be in the Gaslamp, so you will be in danger of paying $20 to hear songs by Pitbull.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Someone posted this over in the picture thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Why does the line take such a pronounced hook south of Bakersfield? Geography?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

The hook goes to where the destinations are. No one wants to take a train from Bakersfield out into the middle of the desert. Even Palmdale is a stretch. Past Palmdale it basically follows I-5 I think.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GD_American posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

edit: I got that wrong.

Wow, does it go through Tehachapi and Lancaster? That's.. interesting.

All Of The Dicks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 10, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I can't wait to see all the "STOP THE OBAMA-CREATED DUST BOWL" signs that'll go up along the sides of the high-speed train down in Fresno/Bakersfield once it's done! :shepface:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

All Of The Dicks posted:

You can get from the San Diego airport to the Gaslamp in ten minutes on the bus. It is fantastic. Unfortunately, you will be in the Gaslamp, so you will be in danger of paying $20 to hear songs by Pitbull.

Go to the Star Bar. It's basically like being in the Phillipines but the drinks are cheap and no cover until it gets late.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Zeitgueist posted:

Someone posted this over in the picture thread.

Good to see Gilroy getting attention for something besides garlic, I suppose. In my dreams, I'd like to have a high-speed rail line that goes up and down the coast.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bizarro Watt posted:

In my dreams, I'd like to have a high-speed rail line that goes up and down the coast.

Yeah the coast is beautiful, but that would pretty much be Rich People Express. Though Amtrak already does that route at non-high speeds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I can't wait to see all the "STOP THE OBAMA-CREATED DUST BOWL" signs that'll go up along the sides of the high-speed train down in Fresno/Bakersfield once it's done! :shepface:

Obama will have been out of office for years by the time the first train runs.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Good to see Gilroy getting attention for something besides garlic, I suppose. In my dreams, I'd like to have a high-speed rail line that goes up and down the coast.

Caltrain currently runs from San Francisco to gilroy, so it makes sense to tie Gilroy in. Actually I assume they'll be using the same right-of-way as Caltrain for the whole run down from the city, since the land is already owned and there have already been some track upgrades done when they extended Caltrain from San Jose down to Gilroy back in the early 90s.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^Wouldn't be worse than Acela. :v:

Bizarro Watt posted:

I'm pretty sure Gilroy gets a stop purely because they are using existing Caltrain right of way.

e:f;b.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Bizarro Watt posted:

It would cost a ton and to be honest, I think I would rather leave at least the coastal area around US 1 minimally developed.

quote:

Obama will have been out of office for years by the time the first train runs.

All of those signs date from around 2008-2009 when the Democrats controlled congress, they don't really care.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2013

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I live in a city near the proposed line and a large contingent were actively fighting against it. You loving idiots! You don't want a direct line to 25 million people for your lovely town!? Ugh, the valley .

E: I should say the idiots won and the track is going well outside the city.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah the coast is beautiful, but that would pretty much be Rich People Express. Though Amtrak already does that route at non-high speeds.

The stretch from LA to about halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno will suck, but after that the Serra Nevada's should make the trip much more enjoyable / beautiful. Especially for trips in the winter / spring.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm curious what the cost estimates for connecting that Victorville spur to LA so they can have a Vegas-LA line would be. I guarantee they've run the numbers already.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

The stretch from LA to about halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno will suck, but after that the Serra Nevada's should make the trip much more enjoyable / beautiful. Especially for trips in the winter / spring.

The high desert is pretty cool too, basically the central valley stretch will always be tedious whatever you do but I assume the train will be able to blast through it in less an hour.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah, I know it'd never happen and it wouldn't be particularly useful anyway, I just think it'd be a nice ride.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure Gilroy gets a stop purely because they are using existing Caltrain right of way.

You know, I probably should have figured that.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Leperflesh posted:

Caltrain currently runs from San Francisco to gilroy, so it makes sense to tie Gilroy in. Actually I assume they'll be using the same right-of-way as Caltrain for the whole run down from the city, since the land is already owned and there have already been some track upgrades done when they extended Caltrain from San Jose down to Gilroy back in the early 90s.

CAHSR will be sharing the Caltrain tracks.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It would cost a ton and to be honest, I think I would rather leave at least the coastal area around US 1 minimally developed.

You could fit the entire coastline of Massachusetts between Carmel and SLO. I look at that map and my head demands another major coastal city at, like, Lompoc or something.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SirPablo posted:

I live in a city near the proposed line and a large contingent were actively fighting against it. You loving idiots! You don't want a direct line to 25 million people for your lovely town!? Ugh, the valley .

E: I should say the idiots won and the track is going well outside the city.

All those towns that the interstates didn't connect are doing great.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GD_American posted:

I'm curious what the cost estimates for connecting that Victorville spur to LA so they can have a Vegas-LA line would be. I guarantee they've run the numbers already.

I think that line will never happen because it's essentially a weekend party bus for people in LA, there's not a lot of business reasons other than tourism, and I don't know that tourism alone could sustain that line. Unless I'm missing something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

I think that line will never happen because it's essentially a weekend party bus for people in LA, there's not a lot of business reasons other than tourism, and I don't know that tourism alone could sustain that line. Unless I'm missing something.

No, that sounds about right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah, the main financial backer for that line should be the Las Vegas Tourism Board or Chamber of Commerce or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeitgueist posted:

I guess the Las Vegas metro area is about 2 million people at this point, enough to probably deserve some type of line along with the usual tourist traffic.

I like that everything between Carmel and SLO is just almost completely empty and undeveloped, it is a really cool area too with great beaches and some cool campgrounds. Monterrey is pretty great too.

• Locked thread