Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I took another look at the current Limited Edition weapon, the Sorcerous Sceptre.

At first I thought it was meh. But it's got two things going for it.

1) As well as being an attack, it's also a counter attack weapon. Which is always nice.
But the big thing about it that's going un-noticed.

2) The weapon doesn't break phasing.

Yeah. So it's designed to be used alongside the Sinister Sceptre. And using the two together is a heck of a lot of fun, especially if you have a weapon that makes your hero a Protector (so people have to attack your phased hero) and another counter attack weapon (like the Nailer or something.) Yeah I know the Sinister Sceptre + protector combo has been around for a while, but the new Sceptre gives you something for your hero to do on his turn that's not just resting.
And if you team your hero up with Union Jack, his chance to join in on attacks can proc off each counter attack. So some of the time my infiltrator hero is counter attacking like 4 times in an enemy attack, and UJ can join in on all those attacks. Which is nice.

It's making completing Chapter 12-2 with only 20 energy very doable and is netting me a lot of wins on attacking PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

The Question IRL posted:

So I took another look at the current Limited Edition weapon, the Sorcerous Sceptre.

At first I thought it was meh. But it's got two things going for it.

1) As well as being an attack, it's also a counter attack weapon. Which is always nice.
But the big thing about it that's going un-noticed.

2) The weapon doesn't break phasing.

Yeah. So it's designed to be used alongside the Sinister Sceptre. And using the two together is a heck of a lot of fun, especially if you have a weapon that makes your hero a Protector (so people have to attack your phased hero) and another counter attack weapon (like the Nailer or something.) Yeah I know the Sinister Sceptre + protector combo has been around for a while, but the new Sceptre gives you something for your hero to do on his turn that's not just resting.
And if you team your hero up with Union Jack, his chance to join in on attacks can proc off each counter attack. So some of the time my infiltrator hero is counter attacking like 4 times in an enemy attack, and UJ can join in on all those attacks. Which is nice.

It's making completing Chapter 12-2 with only 20 energy very doable and is netting me a lot of wins on attacking PvP.

As a ground attack, doesn't it do nothing against flyers, which are extremely popular?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yes, but they've yet to introduce a way to make the agent the flyer, so there will always be at least one legitimate target for it.

And there's still plenty of non flyer characters who are getting used (Psylock, Jug-head, Mockingbird, Cap, Thor, Hulk etc...)

While it being a ground attack is a pain, it counts as stealthy so it can't be protected against. And if it does trigger, and you've got Union Jack on your team, he can follow up that attack, even against people who are immune to the attack.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I must say that Magik is quite a fun character, at least for PvE. I'm pretty tired of PVP and I've only leveled her to 6 so can't really take her for a spin yet there.

Leveling Magik and Emma Frost is luckily pretty easy in 12-2. Constrictor, Thundra and Wonder Man is a slightly more difficult proposition.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magik is a lot more useful in PVP because of everyone using the Sinister Sceptre or the inf WC Phoenix and Shadowcat Kitty Pryde. Also because of her rebalancing. An INF on the field? Can't protect them from two attacks and she hits even phased people.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If you don't mind about it not being energy efficient then I think it's worth fighting Moonstone and Hammer separately if you're training Wonderman, Thundra and Juggs. It's much less frustrating that way.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MrBling posted:

I must say that Magik is quite a fun character, at least for PvE. I'm pretty tired of PVP and I've only leveled her to 6 so can't really take her for a spin yet there.

Leveling Magik and Emma Frost is luckily pretty easy in 12-2. Constrictor, Thundra and Wonder Man is a slightly more difficult proposition.

I'd try 12-1 for Wonder Man; if you use a Counter-Strike item on him he basically takes care of the fight for you. I actually found Thundra and Constrictor pretty easy, since they both have a way to remove Moonstone's auto-crit against WW2 Bruiser Cap- with scrappers in the first two waves, bruiser cap likewise takes care of pretty much the entire fight for you, though it's prudent to use a Genetic Inoculation on him to prevent stuns/bleeds/Baron's Mark.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

MrBling posted:

I had a lot of success with her with Dr. Strange in PvP a few seasons ago. Might be worth trying again with her new buffs.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Sefer posted:

I'd try 12-1 for Wonder Man; if you use a Counter-Strike item on him he basically takes care of the fight for you. I actually found Thundra and Constrictor pretty easy, since they both have a way to remove Moonstone's auto-crit against WW2 Bruiser Cap- with scrappers in the first two waves, bruiser cap likewise takes care of pretty much the entire fight for you, though it's prudent to use a Genetic Inoculation on him to prevent stuns/bleeds/Baron's Mark.

I'm finding new Cyclops fun as hell to play in PVE, follow-up and counter-attacks galore. Anyone enemy that uses an AOE is usually dead afterwards.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Little project I decided to work on while doing laundry today, wanted to see the average length of time between releases of characters/uniforms, and how it might relate to any Season 2 stuff. This doesn't count any re-releases of limited time stuff.

3/1/12 - Game launches

Uniforms

pre:
3/1 - 3/14 - Iron Man/Widow/Cap/Hulk/Thor (14 days)

3/14 - 3/24 - Hawkguy/Spidey/Wolverine (10 days)

3/24 - 3/30 - Storm (6 days)

3/30 - 4/6 - Ms. Marvel (7 days)

4/6 - 4/14 - Kitty (8 days)

4/14 - 4/19 - Phoenix (5 days)

4/19 - 4/27 - Avengers Hawkeye/Widow (8 days, LE)

4/27 - 5/3 - Avengers Cap/Iron Man/Hulk/Thor (6 days, LE) (I wanna say this was staggered more but the Wiki doesn't have exact release dates)

5/3 - 6/7 - Colossus (35 days)

6/7 - 6/29 - Sif (22 days)

6/29 - 7/11 - Black Cat (12 days)

7/11 - 8/9 - Reed Richards FF (30 days)

8/9 - 8/18 - Thing FF (9 days)

8/18 - 8/28 - Susan Richards FF (10 days)

8/28 - 8/31 - Spidey FF (3 days)

8/31 - 10/2 - Human Torch FF (32 days, Avengers costumes re-released in Sept)

10/2 - 10/4 - Phoenix 5 costumes (Cyclops/Emma/Phoenix/Colossus) (2 days, LE)

10/4 - 11/14 - Dr. Strange (41 days)

11/14 - 1/31/13 - Quicksilver (78 days)

1/31 - 3/20 - Nightcrawler (48 days)

3/20 - 5/1 - Iron Man Mk.42/Iron Patriot (41 days, LE)

5/1 - 7/7 - (68 days and counting)
Heroes (I'm going by the first day you can acquire them if you dumped a whole load of gold into the system. For SpecOps/Lockboxes it's the first day of the event, for PVP it's the first day they're generally available)

pre:
3/1 - 5/15 - Mockingbird (SpecOps, 76 days)

5/15 - 6/8 - Black Panther (General, 23 days)

6/8 - 6/28 - Scarlet Witch (General, 20 days)

6/28 - 7/24 - Emma Frost (SpecOps, 26 days)

7/24 - 8/12 - Rogue (General, 19 days)

8/12 - 8/27 - Gambit (General, 15 days)

8/27 - 9/20 - Magik (SpecOps, 24 days)

9/20 - 10/5 - Quicksilver (General, 15 days)

10/5 - 10/20 - Hercules (General, 15 days)

10/20 - 10/26 - Ghost Rider (SpecOps, 6 days)

10/26 - 10/31 - Beast (General, 5 days)

10/31 - 11/30 - Valkyrie (SpecOps, 30 days)

12/1 - 12/7 - Tigra (General, 6 days)

12/7 - 12/12 - Deadpool (PVP, 5 days)

12/12 - 1/10 - Cable (PVP, 29 days)

1/10 - 1/28 - Havok/Magneto (SpecOps/Lockbox, 18 days)

1/28 - 2/6 - Psylocke (PVP, 9 days)

2/6 - 2/15 - Wasp (General, 9 days)

2/15 - 2/22 - Captain Britain (General, 7 days)

2/22 - 3/8 - Hank Pym (SpecOps, 14 days)

3/8 - 3/27 - Black Knight (General, 19 days)

3/27 - 4/5 - Vision/Omega Sentinel (SpecOps/Lockbox, 9 days)

4/5 - 4/10 - X-23 (PVP, 5 days)

4/10 - 4/23 - Union Jack (General, 13 days)

4/23 - 5/1 - Rescue (SpecOps, 8 days)

5/1 - 5/8 - Fantomex (PVP, 7 days)

5/8 - 5/21 - Juggernaut (Lockbox, 13 days)

5/21 - 5/23 - Thundra (General, 2 days)

5/23 - 6/7 - Wonder Man/Constrictor (SpecOps/Lockbox, 15 days)

6/7 - 6/12 - Shatterstar (PVP, 5 days)

6/12 - 7/10 - Red Hulk (PVP, 29 days)
Assuming we get nothing tomorrow (and by all indications that's the case), it's been 27 days since the last release of anything new into the game, with Rulk set to go on Wednesday, and Angel sometime in August.

With costumes, they released a bunch out the gate that were just cosmetic changes and didn't have any game functionality added until the Avengers ones came out. Once we got the Phoenix 5 outfits in October, the releases have slowed to a crawl, with just four released this year and two being limited edition. We're at over two months since a costume has been released, and while Angel's X-Force may break that soon, we don't have a date for its release. There's also been the rumors that costumes will be tied to completing chapters in Season 2, but that hasn't been officially announced, just datamined.

For heroes, the game settled into a decent pace of one about every two weeks, depending on how a SpecOps/Lockboxing went, with the occasional shorter period. Even the longer gaps can be explained with LE costumes and the Christmas holiday/sale. However, the last hero was Shitterstar nearly a month ago (albiet with Rulk coming up soon), and the last hero for general release with Thundra a month and a half back. There's also only been two costumes released for heroes who weren't in the initial release (P5 Emma/QS).

To me, this really looks like the June 18th announce date for Season 2 was legit and not an error made through miscommunication or speaking out of turn. They've broken from a semi-regular release schedule and are coming close to a month between major game additions, with nothing besides Season 2 on the horizon. We know there's announced costumes/heroes coming down the pipe, we just don't know when or how.

I don't want to be one of the mouth-breathing forum dwellers who poo poo on Playdom for the smallest slights, but this is a pretty big fuckup. The longer they go without releasing major content into the game, the less initiative there is for people to pump money in. The LE weapon/PVP item cycle hasn't been broken as far as I can see, but that rarely turns heads as much as a new costume or hero does. Without a constant flow of new additions to the game, people will look for other ways to entertain themselves/spend their disposable income and it's very hard to get someone back once they've decided to move on. The radio silence strategy may have been so that they don't miss another release date, but if you don't give people a reason to stay they won't. If Playdom's waiting until SDCC to announce/release anything, they're making an even bigger blunder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What I don't understand is why I just started playing this game, and there's a screen for something called "Spec Ops" with a big flashing NEW! over it, and when I click on it I'm shown a bunch of stuff that expired...some time, I don't know when, and I can't interact with any of this stuff in any way. Is it supposed to whet my appetite for the next...whatever this is, whenever it comes out?

Edit: And I'm sad because I'm one of those five people who thinks Wonder Man is pretty cool.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What I don't understand is why I just started playing this game, and there's a screen for something called "Spec Ops" with a big flashing NEW! over it, and when I click on it I'm shown a bunch of stuff that expired...some time, I don't know when, and I can't interact with any of this stuff in any way. Is it supposed to whet my appetite for the next...whatever this is, whenever it comes out?

Edit: And I'm sad because I'm one of those five people who thinks Wonder Man is pretty cool.

They used to get rid of the tab between SpecOps, but lately there's only been a week or less between one ending and another starting so they stopped bothering. I'd guess that the holiday threw them off and a new one will start this week, and/or we'll get season 2.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Did the game just poo poo the bed for anyone else?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Well, I just got a random new set of tasks to unlock some new gadget thingy. They do seem to be rolling out the Season 2 updates bit by bit.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Well, I just got a random new set of tasks to unlock some new gadget thingy. They do seem to be rolling out the Season 2 updates bit by bit.

The device looks stupid as all Hell and no way is it gonna be really useful.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
They were really easy tasks, though, so it's understandable.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It says it's a sponsored task and the items do have good armory stats. Did UL really sponsor this? They don't really even sell anything so I wonder why they would?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that item is useless, but hey it took like an hour, didn't cost anything beyond 100 silver for the research, and the finished gun has a decent enough armory bonus

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I went ti 2-6 this morning but it was glitched. The background loads but non of the baddies pop up to fight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This new UL thing is pretty funny, it's so heavy-handed with Iron Man speaking out about those drat PIRATES

I don't know if it's actually meant to be a critique of software pirating or something, it just seems so over the top.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I don't have any new tasks/content, and none of my allies are visible :(

Edit: Can't do PVP either, seems like everything's broken for me.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2013

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

triplexpac posted:

This new UL thing is pretty funny, it's so heavy-handed with Iron Man speaking out about those drat PIRATES

I don't know if it's actually meant to be a critique of software pirating or something, it just seems so over the top.

Comparing piracy to what Dr Doom does just makes piracy sound more attractive.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

New content field trip:

Pros: Technically, it's fresh content.

Cons: Can be done in half a bar of energy, PSA plot (next week we tell Toad to stop smoking), meh reward but it's not like anyone put any effort into this.

It's just missing a big "THE MORE YOU KNOW" at the end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm just pretending its the Pirates that Hawkeye and Deadpool fought that kidnapped their favorite mexican chef.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Kali11324 posted:

I went ti 2-6 this morning but it was glitched. The background loads but non of the baddies pop up to fight.

It does that for me ever since I installed Leethax, which works on Playdom but seems to have that side-effect. I usually disable it whenever I want to go on missions and it works fine.

Just completed these new tasks. I, for one, welcome our sponsored content overlords, and can't wait until the inevitable snack cake tie-in. It'll unlock fruit pies and twinkies that usually heal you, but when used during a boss battle cause the villain to immediately surrender.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2013

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Finally got Union Jack, my inaugural scrapper. Does anyone have Thundra? She's one of my fave comic characters so I was thinking of trying her but 90 CP is steep as always.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ServoMST3K posted:

Finally got Union Jack, my inaugural scrapper. Does anyone have Thundra? She's one of my fave comic characters so I was thinking of trying her but 90 CP is steep as always.

She's by no means the best of the 90 point bruisers (I don't think you'll get much use out of her in PVP), but she's decent enough. She has an innate chance to reduce damage and resist crits, along with a power that removes an enemy's ability to crit, which can both help her avoid problems with blasters. Follow up against protecting or shielded characters helps deal with annoying characters getting in her way. 3 of her attacks increase future damage one way or another, with the third being able to take advantage of both her buffs and enemy debuffs. If you team her up with people who can buff her (Thor, Omega Sentinel, Union Jack once he hits level 9) or debuff enemies (Captain Britain, Nightcrawler) she can be quite powerful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have absolutely poo poo luck when it comes to Command Points; does team overhead smash post about powerful characters on the first page still apply? Are any 15/23 pt. characters worth getting? I have Dr. Strange.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I have absolutely poo poo luck when it comes to Command Points; does team overhead smash post about powerful characters on the first page still apply? Are any 15/23 pt. characters worth getting? I have Dr. Strange.

Kitty unlocks a few things that will help with CP, plus once you get enough for her alt costume she's very powerful

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Cyclops is pretty good now although you can no longer get his alt which makes him even better, I think Human Torch is also very good for the price.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Halloween Jack posted:

You doubt me?

Basically yeah, not much has changed. But it's worth mentioning that pretty much any character will be good enough for PVE, at least until you get to the high chapter numbers.

Basically just avoid Black Cat, Black Knight, Colossus, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Mr Fantastic, She-Hulk, Sif, Spider-Woman, Thing and Wasp and you'll do find. Some of those can still be pretty good through if you shell out for alternate costumes.

PVP is the only place you need to really worry about getting the best characters and there it matters as much about synergy as anything else. Kitty Pryde + Phoenix for phased Mindlink synergy. Juggernaut + Quicksilver for the two turns of super strong attacks. Punisher/Captain Britain/Mockingbird in some combination for double Paragon Exploiter. Omega Sentinel + Agent with Ionic Sledge.

In terms of just general power Magneto, Quicksilver, Omega Sentinel, Nightcrawler, War Machine (movie suit only), Rescue, Phoenix, Shadowcat and Juggernaut are all good picks that are frequently used, although some of this is due to the metagame (eg because a lot of people are using shields, Juggernaut is especially useful). Unfortunately half of those are characters you can't simply get with CP.

Assuming you've missed all the LE stuff and don't have any fancy equipment, I'd go with Shadowcat Kitty + White Suit Phoenix for offense and Blue Suit Quicksilver + White Suit Phoenix for defence because the Ai doesn't seem to be smart enough to consistently use Mind Link on Shadowcat.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

because the Ai doesn't seem to be smart enough to consistently use Mind Link on Shadowcat.

I think it's based on who has the most health so you have to make sure to give Kitty lots via ISO.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ServoMST3K posted:

Does anyone have Thundra? She's one of my fave comic characters so I was thinking of trying her but 90 CP is steep as always.

Strong Pokémon heroes. Weak Pokémon heroes. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers agents should try to win with their favorites.

She's not gonna net you a lot of CP, the Spec Ops she was required for is over, and I doubt she's something you can base a great PVP team around, but if you like her, get her.

Edit: The final reward for the UL task does have a +1708/+1708 PVP bonus, so that's nice.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, apparently hawkeye can rapidfire his attack all, and that can cause stun, and it can stun each time he does it, so you cannot do poo poo in a match. That's just great.

I'm also really loving sick of Omega Sentinel one shooting one of my team members on her two attacks. Her plasma blast is hitting around 30-40 white damage most of the time.

Of course if use mine, i get a few thousand damage, if she lives long enough to actually go.

Since the last update, I've seen more and more just insane things in pvp; Iron Patriots using their overcharge 2 turns in a row, a 7 turn phased agent with sinister scepter, characters getting sudden random turns right before they'd lose, Emma putting mental anguish on everyone after her wave attack, all manner of bs. Thank god its over in a few days.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
How is everyone doing on that stupid staff? I've somehow had a ton of luck with the roulette, and only need 2 Caducite and 15 nuggets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they remove Double Agent from Black Widow? Because I tried using her in pvp and she just did her marked for revenge, but nothing else. Unless every attack by Cyclops and Magick are stealthy.

At least it was the first team in 19 fights that didn't include Phoenix in some form.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Did they remove Double Agent from Black Widow? Because I tried using her in pvp and she just did her marked for revenge, but nothing else. Unless every attack by Cyclops and Magick are stealthy.

At least it was the first team in 19 fights that didn't include Phoenix in some form.

I believe someone said that when they did the last patch it sort of broke her.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

So, apparently hawkeye can rapidfire his attack all, and that can cause stun, and it can stun each time he does it, so you cannot do poo poo in a match. That's just great.

I'm also really loving sick of Omega Sentinel one shooting one of my team members on her two attacks. Her plasma blast is hitting around 30-40 white damage most of the time.

Of course if use mine, i get a few thousand damage, if she lives long enough to actually go.

Since the last update, I've seen more and more just insane things in pvp; Iron Patriots using their overcharge 2 turns in a row, a 7 turn phased agent with sinister scepter, characters getting sudden random turns right before they'd lose, Emma putting mental anguish on everyone after her wave attack, all manner of bs. Thank god its over in a few days.

Before the last patch broke her, Omega Sentinel would basically destroy anyone using shields and/or protect, so if she's doing a ton of damage to you and you have one or both of those up, they may have just fixed her.

VextheGrey posted:

How is everyone doing on that stupid staff? I've somehow had a ton of luck with the roulette, and only need 2 Caducite and 15 nuggets.

1 Caducite and 18 nuggets. I'm gonna be pissed if I end up having to buy that last Caducite, but there's no way I'm not getting it at this point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So I'm forced to team up with She-Hulk, against a Blaster boss that counters all attacks.

I guess that's cheaper than sending somebody to my house to go "Phbbbt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Before you guys get all crazy about the Shephard's Staff, I'd like to note I have not lost to a single person that has been using it.

• Locked thread