Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Holy poo poo an actual attractive girl I'd like to gently caress is on jeopardy. It's been like 2 months since that has happened. Hopefully fatso gets the boot.

Uh. Ok.

Anyway, it seems like the last 2 winners have sort of "lucked" in to victory. That's alright, I suppose, but it sure is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Holy poo poo an actual attractive girl I'd like to gently caress is on jeopardy. It's been like 2 months since that has happened. Hopefully fatso gets the boot.
You seem awesome

Punch Card posted:

Wow, tonight had two of the worst FJ responses ever.
"What book inspired Rabbit, Run?"
"Rabbit Run :downs:"

A shameful champion

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

I know whenever I want an erection, my go-to show is Jeopardy.

Either way, the previous champion was annoying with how she always paused before choosing a category.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Andorra posted:

Either way, the previous champion was annoying with how she always paused before choosing a category.

No, I'm just sick of looking at old grannies and extremely overweight women who have no decency to actually dress up for you know, national television like the men do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

No, I'm just sick of looking at old grannies and extremely overweight women who have no decency to actually dress up for you know, national television like the men do.

Shut up.

Andorra posted:

That drove me nuts! I thought they weren't going to finish all the categories on the board because of it. So glad she is gone. If I thought jumping around the board ruined the flow of the game, the constant pauses before picking the next clue was even worse.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

Colonial Air Force posted:

Uh. Ok.

Anyway, it seems like the last 2 winners have sort of "lucked" in to victory. That's alright, I suppose, but it sure is boring.

I think it adds an aura of unpredictability into the game. Would you rather have people like the droopy-eyed board bouncer resting on his laurels for weeks?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Andorra posted:

I find that intelligence and competency tickle my pickle more than most other factors, internal and external.

Just another cretin poo poo twisted by society :/

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Harsh truths in the Jeopardy! thread.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Bulgaroktonos posted:

I think it adds an aura of unpredictability into the game. Would you rather have people like the droopy-eyed board bouncer resting on his laurels for weeks?

It depends on the person. Some 5+ day champions are good because they're pretty cool/interesting by Jeopardy standards, and some are good because they get you to tune in hoping someone dethrones them. I think it's probably better in the long run to have returning champions you feel one way or the other about rather than a smattering of contestants playing a game with seemingly random outcomes.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

"What book inspired Rabbit, Run?"
"Rabbit Run :downs:"

A shameful champion

Arguably better than the guy that guessed Rabbit at Rest. I'd love the anachronistic explanation for how a sequel that comes out decades later inspires the original.

That was actually a particularly hard final Jeopardy, I guessed Catcher in the Rye, and despite having read On The Road it never even occurred to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jacob looks like he just stepped off of the set of Mad Men.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I have read both the Rabbit series and On the Road twice and didn't even come close to making that connection. Audition next week!

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Sometimes they seem incredibly easy, like the Pulp Fiction reference (which to me could have been a $200 selection in the 1st round), the Rabbit, Run that apparently even people who have read both don't get, and then the one about "most important crop", when every contestant misunderstands what they are looking for (one answered corn, another rice, the 3rd grain - the correct question was "what are grasses").

BleepBlip
Jul 22, 2003

"These kind of skills?"
I've watched Jeopardy on and off for 20+ years and I don't ever think I've seen a tie. New guy seemed kinda pissed.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

koataylor posted:

I've watched Jeopardy on and off for 20+ years and I don't ever think I've seen a tie. New guy seemed kinda pissed.

Enjoy having your mind blown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zn2KODSsY

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Really? The two day champion couldn't throw one more dollar onto that?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Really? The two day champion couldn't throw one more dollar onto that?

He did it on purpose to spread the wealth.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm sure I remember a tie earlier this year.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I really can't stop seeing Mark McKinney.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Holy poo poo :laffo: They're doppelgangers. Now I won't be able to stop seeing it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

jojoinnit posted:

I'm sure I remember a tie earlier this year.

There was the three-way $0 tie in the college championship semifinals. Boy was that a time (and the guy who got in because of it won the whole thing).

Waiting for him to come out in drag tomorrow night. :allears:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

FadingChord posted:

There was the three-way $0 tie in the college championship semifinals. Boy was that a time (and the guy who got in because of it won the whole thing).

Waiting for him to come out in drag tomorrow night. :allears:

As the chicken lady :colbert:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non-consecutive occasions.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Carlos :( we auditioned twice together in Vancouver and you were the only dude I talked to. I was rootin for ya.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

That was a beatdown. Has there been worse?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm behind and just now cleaning out the old dvr. I'm sure this guy has been verbally beaten to death here, particularly his habit of jumping all over, but what what made me want to throw the remote was HOW he did it. "I'll take (category) but let's do it for (amount)." I thought it was odd when he first said it, but then he said it ALMOST EVERY TIME HE SELECTED A CLUE.

I get that people like to try to get all strategic in an incredibly simple game, even if it annoys the piss out of me, but please at least call the clues like you're from this planet.

(you could hear the contempt in Alex's voice, he has admitted several times that's his biggest pet peeve)

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
That dude from SC is cleaning house.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm behind and just now cleaning out the old dvr. I'm sure this guy has been verbally beaten to death here, particularly his habit of jumping all over, but what what made me want to throw the remote was HOW he did it. "I'll take (category) but let's do it for (amount)." I thought it was odd when he first said it, but then he said it ALMOST EVERY TIME HE SELECTED A CLUE.

I get that people like to try to get all strategic in an incredibly simple game, even if it annoys the piss out of me, but please at least call the clues like you're from this planet.

(you could hear the contempt in Alex's voice, he has admitted several times that's his biggest pet peeve)

I really like the way the current champion selects answers! It's endearing. He's a southern boy through and through even with his fancy eye-tee job.

I get too attached to Jeopardy contestants sometimes I admit it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What's Alex's pet peeve?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Are you talking about the current dude (Ben) or Andrew, who was on a few weeks ago and literally jumped from clue to clue like a kid with untreated ADD? I legitimately could not enjoy the show while he was on.

I rather like Ben. Yeah, he doesn't go exactly in order, but at least there's a method to his clue picking. He starts in the middle of each category and goes down until he finds the Daily Double, then jumps back to the top and continues on in regular fashion. Also, he looks genuinely excited when he wins (or like when he tied last week, he was simply giddy that it had happened).

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

escape artist posted:

What's Alex's pet peeve?

I think it's when someone makes a miniscule daily double bet just so they can't be used by the 2nd or 3rd place contestant to leap up in the ranking.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
His $100 FJ bets are pissing Alex off though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

escape artist posted:

What's Alex's pet peeve?

People jumping all over the board. Also phrasing their clue selections oddly, throws him off.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Are you talking about the current dude (Ben) or Andrew, who was on a few weeks ago and literally jumped from clue to clue like a kid with untreated ADD? I legitimately could not enjoy the show while he was on.

I think it was Andrew, I'm terrible with names, but he was on last week at the latest (I seriously had like 4 weeks of shows I ran through the other day).

It was Ben. He just did it again in this episode I'm watching from yesterday. "(category) but let's do it for (amount)". He's doing it less now, but stop saying unnecessary words that make you sound pompous. (Also, does he have eyes? He just scowls at the board the whole time)

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 10, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jojoinnit posted:

His $100 FJ bets are pissing Alex off though.

If I ever get on and hit a DD in a category that I don't know, I fully intend to use this strategy. Except I'm going $5.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Audition today. Went better than the previous two. Feelin slick.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ben also keeps saying poo poo like "Where is" for the answer. No one ever says anything besides "what" or "who".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ben also keeps saying poo poo like "Where is" for the answer. No one ever says anything besides "what" or "who".

I do! :colbert:

Also I was watching last night and told my wife "Wow, he could technically lose. He's going to have to wager more than his usual hundred dollars."

So he bet $101. :awesome:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
My DVR didn't pick up last night's episode and I'm legitimately pretty pissed about it.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

As the contestant coordinators told us - we don't care what question you use, or even if it makes sense...as long as it's a question,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

mennoknight posted:

As the contestant coordinators told us - we don't care what question you use, or even if it makes sense...as long as it's a question,

Can people just say it, but with a quizzical look on their face and their voice going up an octave during the last syllable? :v: