Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
16 more days until this is out on the PSN. I'm assuming this is getting a day one PSN release but has the price been announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So what with the Ultimate version of WO3 coming out, is there any point at all in getting the Wii U version then? I just got a Wii U and wanted one more game for it (already got MH3U and Nintendoland), and could get it pretty cheap.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Heard the Wii U version performed a little worse. :iiam:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From the usual "flying get" sources in Japan, apparently Basara 4 has been announced. It takes place in a "parallel world Muromachi era" and stars Yoshiteru Ashikaga, Sakon Shima, Katsuie Shibata, Masamune Date, Mitsunari Ishida, and so on.

Well okay then.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

tooooooo bad posted:

Heard the Wii U version performed a little worse. :iiam:

I bought the Wii U version for about 20bux a month ago. What I noticed is that it ran smooth but pop-in/pop-out was a lot more frequent and I found it a little obnoxious that I'd fire of a C-move, only to have fuckers I should've caught in the arc materialize out of thin air and avoid the hit arc. Waiting on the all-inclusive next one would be more sound, imo.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

mikeycp posted:

Next Warriors Orochi needs to just throw in the anime characters too.

I actually kind of wish the next one would just toss out most of the DW and SW characters (maybe half of them?) in favor of more mythological/historical character in the style of Yoshitsune, Taigong Wang, Joan of Arc (yeah, I know, Bladestorm), etc.

Just throw down with your team of Alexander the Great, Musashi, and Athena or something.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The idea behind WO as a series, though, is kinda "throw everyone we can think of into the game, more characters, more maps, more everything". So instead, we need Koei to create ANOTHER asian-historical Warriors series, and then put all that content into the next WO game with all the other stuff.

Or anime characters, yes. I would play the poo poo out of "Warrior Orochi: All The Animes", especially if the cell-shading or lack-there-of was on a per-series basis.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

From the usual "flying get" sources in Japan, apparently Basara 4 has been announced. It takes place in a "parallel world Muromachi era" and stars Yoshiteru Ashikaga, Sakon Shima, Katsuie Shibata, Masamune Date, Mitsunari Ishida, and so on.

Well okay then.

So we're going backwards now, but in a way that lets us gently caress with the timeline again anyway? Okay, yeah, sure let's see where we're going with this.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Policenaut posted:

So we're going backwards now, but in a way that lets us gently caress with the timeline again anyway? Okay, yeah, sure let's see where we're going with this.

I just want more Basara. It's not like the story will matter that much.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The idea behind WO as a series, though, is kinda "throw everyone we can think of into the game, more characters, more maps, more everything". So instead, we need Koei to create ANOTHER asian-historical Warriors series, and then put all that content into the next WO game with all the other stuff.

Or anime characters, yes. I would play the poo poo out of "Warrior Orochi: All The Animes", especially if the cell-shading or lack-there-of was on a per-series basis.

Look at this point all I want out of this series is a Cao Cao/Nobunaga/Julius Caesar triumvirate is that too much to ask?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

More characters are coming along for the ride in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. This time it's DOA's Kasumi.

Why don't you cut to the chase Tecmo Koei and just make Tecmo Warriors. We all know that's what this is building to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

More characters are coming along for the ride in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. This time it's DOA's Kasumi.

Why don't you cut to the chase Tecmo Koei and just make Tecmo Warriors. We all know that's what this is building to.
Tecmo Bowl players in Musou. It would totally work.

edit: anyway Kasumi, that's...another boob girl with knives or something who moves really fast. I assume anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 3, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tecmo Bowl players in Musou. It would totally work.

edit: anyway Kasumi, that's...another boob girl with knives or something who moves really fast. I assume anyway.

Bo Jackson would be the most broken addition to the cast.

The Lu Bu of football.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shlapintogan posted:

Bo Jackson would be the most broken addition to the cast.

The Lu Bu of football.

:thurman: Slamming the football into the ground to cause an explosion would be the best musou ever.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Policenaut posted:

I kind of hated Ayani's moveset. I am pretty sure I'll hate hers.

I saw the second episode of Gamecenter CX a couple days ago where they toured KOEI's headquarters... the dude in charge of Omega Force looks exactly like the bespectacled, pudgy pantysniffer you'd expect to be dragging random jugs'n'jailbait into the franchise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Basara 4 page is up. It says early 2014...just like basically every other game.

Looks like you can do some kinda weird formation thing with your soldiers.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Basara 4 page is up. It says early 2014...just like basically every other game.

Looks like you can do some kinda weird formation thing with your soldiers.

Oh my god I need that inside me yesterday. Add some sweet ragdoll to that house and cards and we're really in business

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hey just wanna say Bladestorm in on the Playsation Network for $19.99 if you want to get it digitally.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm actually admittedly leery of PSN purchases after finding out about the PS4 not supporting playing of PS3-downloaded games, and considering how uncertain it is just how the streaming of PS3 games for PS4 will work, it doesn't seem like that would be a workaround so that I could play Bladestorm from a PS4. Not meant as a knock on Bladestorm's quality as a game though!

Completely unrelated: One of the more... unique pieces of Ravages of Time merchandise I've seen, a short romance novel with the Ravages of Time writer's blessing. On the right is Zhang Liao; on the left is Lu Bu.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is Dynasty Warriors 8 going to be disc only in the US?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors 8 going to be disc only in the US?

Can't see why it would be. They released the Japanese version on PSN and lately they've been putting all of these out digitally.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The online store says disc only... but perhaps it is a placeholder?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Big preview about Sengoku Basara 4, we're also getting a new trailer this weekend.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
There's not much hope of 4 coming over to NA, is there? If not, I really hope there's a download version so I can grab it off JP PSN.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Eigo posted:

There's not much hope of 4 coming over to NA, is there? If not, I really hope there's a download version so I can grab it off JP PSN.

Pretty much none unless there is some kind of major policy shakeup at Capcom and even then I'd just put the odds of an English port at extremely slim. Although maybe someone will convince them that since most of their games are flopping outside of Japan that they should give it another go. :unsmith:

Has there been any talk of a DW8 port to the PS4? Normally I wouldn't be able to hold out that long but finances being what they are for me for the next couple of months it may be worth the wait for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sven of Capcom USA said that there's zero chance of Basara games coming out of Japan now after Samurai Heroes flopped. Capcom did everything in their power to make that game work: budget price point, demo, tons of previews and trailers, got nothing out of it.

And Tecmo Koei is a confirmed PS4 developer and they LOVE to have poo poo out in time for platform launches. We'll probably see a PS4 launch game from them at TGS in September.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Can't wait to have to use the little touchpad on the Ps4 controller for some stupid minigame every five minutes.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did it FAIL, or did they just set their sales projections way too loving high for a niche product?

I'm going to assume the latter. It seems to be happening a lot lately.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scyther posted:

Can't wait to have to use the little touchpad on the Ps4 controller for some stupid minigame every five minutes.
Only for the launch games, after that devs will get a brain and go back to ignoring it just like motion controls on the sixaxis.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Sven of Capcom USA said that there's zero chance of Basara games coming out of Japan now after Samurai Heroes flopped. Capcom did everything in their power to make that game work: budget price point, demo, tons of previews and trailers, got nothing out of it.

And Tecmo Koei is a confirmed PS4 developer and they LOVE to have poo poo out in time for platform launches. We'll probably see a PS4 launch game from them at TGS in September.

What's the O/U on it being 'nice-looking but really wonky' a la Dynasty Warrior 6?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Uhhhh I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of them not horribly loving it up. On one hand, you've got Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U which was a pretty decent launch game but on the other there's Dynasty Warriors Next which is quite possibly the most bogged down gimmicky DW game in years. I guess it depends on whether or not TK sees the PS4 touchpad as something worthwhile.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did it FAIL, or did they just set their sales projections way too loving high for a niche product?

I'm going to assume the latter. It seems to be happening a lot lately.

Well given how dismally the Koei games sell it's likely a combination of the two depending on your definition of failure. Honestly they seem perfectly aware of how much of a niche product it is and probably found that there's no way they are going to make money on a Sengoku Basara title outside of Japan.

How much that has to do with what they spend on localization and promotion is something I'd leave up to someone who actually has that information.

Really I wish I had continued to take Japanese lessons after highschool so I could play these games, which makes me feel like the biggest god drat nerd ever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

Well given how dismally the Koei games sell it's likely a combination of the two depending on your definition of failure. Honestly they seem perfectly aware of how much of a niche product it is and probably found that there's no way they are going to make money on a Sengoku Basara title outside of Japan.

How much that has to do with what they spend on localization and promotion is something I'd leave up to someone who actually has that information.

Really I wish I had continued to take Japanese lessons after highschool so I could play these games, which makes me feel like the biggest god drat nerd ever.

Koei games can't be doing that poorly because they sure do keep making and putting them out in English.

e: probably more accurate to just chalk it up to Capcom being a loving mess. Same poo poo Monster Hunter fans will eternally have to deal with.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 11, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The main games, but notice the paucity of the side games being localized?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

This is the quote if anyone's interested

quote:

Sorry mate. Basara is Japan-focused and meant only for that territory.

Guys, I understand your interest and passion for the title, but there’s no way you’re going to convince me that a significant enough number of people are going to buy a Basara title in North America at a reasonable price point. We’ve tried twice now across two generations.

We released the last Basara title in two SKUs at budget price points ($29.99 SRP). There’s no way you’re going to convert the last outting’s performance, regardless of what shortcomings you perceive, into a 6X – 8X performance in revenue for future titles.

Not every title that’s made needs to be released in the West if the game has a sustainable base in Japan.

Sengoku Basara is dead and buried in the West.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, there are some series that are so Japan specific that you just gotta tough them out in the Japanese language. It seems Basara is one of them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Only for the launch games, after that devs will get a brain and go back to ignoring it just like motion controls on the sixaxis.

I know we've beaten this one to death but that is exactly what I'm hoping for out of the next Warriors title to happen on the Vita. No gimmick touch or gyro minigames... ESPECIALLY not those loving duels.

Policenaut posted:

This is the quote if anyone's interested

Sengoku Basara is dead and buried in the West.

gently caress that guy. Is there really no anticipated margin for at least a digital release? I'd even take a sloppy, hasty subtitle job. Oh well though, I suppose like you said, it's done for.

5er fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 11, 2013

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
I'd be happy enough if just the item details and objectives were in English in the JP version, but that's probably asking a bit much for the few that would. Wasn't Demon Souls in full English for some of the eastern releases? I don't remember if the JP version had full English, or if it was another region there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hey just to say, Dynasty Tactics 2 is up on PSN for $9.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

abagofcheetos posted:

The online store says disc only... but perhaps it is a placeholder?

My PS3 literally just started to have trouble playing disc games (tried playing DW7XL and it kept freezing, but all my digital games work just fine). And then I went to PSN and saw the "Disc only" thing on the DW8 box.

:negative: