Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

devilmouse posted:

Maybe grats Frown Town on Hasbro buying 70% of Backflip?

I hope you've got some sweet sweet stock action over there!

Weeeeee, ponies! I'm not sure what this means specifically for me, other than apparently boxes of toys/Hasbro swag will be distributed tomorrow.
Stuff that gets me closer to the toy making industry's pretty exciting.

Currently don't know exactly what to make of the situation, but I trust the management, in general. Not that acquisitions/etc have ever worked out well for me in the past, but this time will be different!!! Color me cautiously optimistic.

e: Here's our CEO's message:

http://www.backflipstudios.com/2013/07/hasbro-purchases-majority-stake-in-backflip-studios/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

mp5 posted:

Well, "observe" can also just mean "notice" :eng101:

This. For us QA scrubs, 'observe' is 'check this out.' It's just bug-writing practice, not a jab at the designers. :saddowns:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Chunderstorm posted:

This. For us QA scrubs, 'observe' is 'check this out.' It's just bug-writing practice, not a jab at the designers. :saddowns:

Its frustrating because it feels like "you idiots how did you not notice this", as in:

Observe as the game crashes.

Expected Results: The game runs.

Actual Results: It crashes.

And I find because of the internet I always read bugs in a snarky tone.

Honestly I love our QA and I really want to tell them that and get them donuts or something because I know I can't do their job. Its so thankless and everyone hates them.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 9, 2013

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Its frustrating because it feels like "you idiots how did you not notice this", as in:

Actually, that sort of over the top "beating the designer with a rolled-up newspaper" bug presentation always makes me laugh, and makes my day better. :)

Expected Results: Don't suck.

Actual Results: You suck so hard I can hear it clear over here.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

aas Bandit posted:

Actually, that sort of over the top "beating the designer with a rolled-up newspaper" bug presentation always makes me laugh, and makes my day better. :)

Expected Results: Don't suck.

Actual Results: You suck so hard I can hear it clear over here.

My favorite are the bugs that are so ridiculous but written up so seriously.

An Exploding Duck Appears At -400, 232, 40 After You Throw A Grenade

Repro: 4/4 (100%)

Steps:

1. Proceed to -400 232 40.
2. Prime and Throw A Grenade
3. Observe the Duck that appears (Of the mallard variety, the crested duck bug is at XXX-42335).
4. The Duck explodes and kills the player.

Expected Results: A duck does not appear and kill the player.

Actual Results: A duck appears and kills the player.

Notes: Priming a grenade for 4 seconds causes the duck to not explode.

Keywords: duck, explode, mp, grenade

Video/Screenshot attached: yes

EDIT: VVVV Yeah I know I'm just being a smartass.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 9, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I ran into an issue that was literally "if you press this button on this screen, the game crashes" and I actually had no idea what pressing that button on that screen was supposed to do, if anything. I know it seems mundane, but you never know who's going to wind up with a bug and it's easy to overestimate how obvious the expected behavior is. Even "it should continue on normally" helps, because that would rule out that it's happening at the start of an event, for example.

Also I've worked for a company with fairly weak standards for QA reporting and I'll take overly detailed QA tickets over sending countless bugs back for not including expected behavior or repro steps any day.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2013

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Chunderstorm posted:

Some designers don't read it that way because it's a completely unnecessary imperative that for some inexplicable reason people in QA really like to use. It also comes off as a bit condescending, like "you better pay careful attention or you might miss it!" Which, I don't need to be reminded to look at the thing I'm already looking at when I'm trying to fix a bug. (Plus if you consistently use "observe" in really dumb unnecessary contexts, developers might start making fun of you as the guy/girl who uses observe in dumb unnecessary contexts, which is probably not what you want.)

VVV I don't know that "observe" is a bug standards thing rather than a thing people do because they see other people do it. VVV

emoticon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 9, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

emoticon posted:

Some designers don't read it that way because it's a completely unnecessary imperative that for some inexplicable reason people in QA really like to use. It also comes off as a bit condescending, like "you better pay careful attention or you might miss it!" Which, I don't need to be reminded to look at the thing I'm already looking at when I'm trying to fix a bug. (Plus if you consistently use "observe" in really dumb unnecessary contexts, developers might start making fun of you as the guy/girl who uses observe in dumb unnecessary contexts, which is probably not what you want.)

If it's part of the bug standards I figure people can just get used to it, it makes life easier to force people to write what they see vs what they expect to see than if you omitted it from the standards.
If you don't have bug standards, you should probably get bug standards.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

And I find because of the internet I always read bugs in a snarky tone.

Honestly I love our QA and I really want to tell them that and get them donuts or something because I know I can't do their job. Its so thankless and everyone hates them.

Don't get me wrong it is an awkwardly-worded thing, and if I had written that I'd have changed it.

I do avoid putting expected results in my bugs most of the time though. 99% of the time that's not my job to determine.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

emoticon posted:

VVV I don't know that "observe" is a bug standards thing rather than a thing people do because they see other people do it. VVV

I dunno about dev QA, but the publisher will usually have someone teach us how to write bugs, and that's how I learned to input them. I guess it's just for consistency.

E: it's also in large part due to having a different tester do our regressions sometimes. We don't always get back the bugs we put in.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Consistency is important when there are dozens of testers and thousands of bugs.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Orcs-Must-Die-2-Adds-Steam-Workshop-Support
I've been working on Steam Workshop support for OMD 2 for a while, and it's public now. I would have posted this in the OMD/OMD 2 thread, but it's been long enough that's archived now.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
"Observe" is stupid because it basically reads like "Pay attention" without providing any other detail. By itself, it's worthless, and put in front of something else- "Observe the duck exploding"- it's redundant. It's just a nonsense word people think sounds smart or technical and should be stricken from quality assurance forever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"Observe" is the QA version of "whilst". Except when "whilst" shows up in QA reports too...

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about to start applying for some game programming jobs, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I recently completed my B.S. in comp sci, but my resume isn't that great -- there weren't really any applicable internships around me and I haven't had a paid programming job yet. I have one game that is shaping up quite well, but is not quite complete. Besides that, I've got 2 grad level research projects I completed (one dealing with artificial retina and object recognition, the other dealing with low level optimizations for 3D math techniques) and some .NET work I did for the university.

I mean, I'm a really experienced programmer (I've been programming in c++ for like a decade), and I know I'm qualified for this work, but I don't know if I really look like an impressive candidate. So, any advice on how I can maximize my chances?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Saying "observe" or "note" in a QA walkthrough/report is an easy, simple, and non-convoluted way to say "then this thing happens", and anyone who gets their undies in a twist over it really needs to chill out and ask themselves if there aren't more important things to worry about.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Dog Jones posted:

I mean, I'm a really experienced programmer (I've been programming in c++ for like a decade), and I know I'm qualified for this work, but I don't know if I really look like an impressive candidate. So, any advice on how I can maximize my chances?

I don't hire programmers as part of my job (I'm senior level, but not lead), so take with a pinch of salt, but it sounds to me like all you're missing is a game as a portfolio piece.

A well polished game, ideally with nice, clean, well organised source code, is generally the way to go.

Your research projects and C++ knowledge sound interesting.

The Oid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Correnth posted:

Saying "observe" or "note" in a QA walkthrough/report is an easy, simple, and non-convoluted way to say "then this thing happens", and anyone who gets their undies in a twist over it really needs to chill out and ask themselves if there aren't more important things to worry about.

You can just say "this thing happens" rather than "observe this thing happen"

There are better things to complain about in QA, sure, but this is more Game Development Argument Stadium than Respect People's Imperfections Station.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Sigma-X posted:

You can just say "this thing happens" rather than "observe this thing happen"

That's lovely English though.

Using 'Observe' is clear and concise. It's perfectly cromulent.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Game Jobs Megathread #3: Observe That The Latest Tangent Will Happen

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

mp5 posted:

Game Jobs Megathread #3: Observe That The Latest Tangent Will Happen

Game Jobs Megathread #3: OBSERVE THAT THE THREAD HAS 4 CORNER SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

That's lovely English though.

Using 'Observe' is clear and concise. It's perfectly cromulent.

lovely English would mean it's not understandable, it's understandable.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Uh guys... the passive voice is to be avoided

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Our bugs use ---> to call out the problem. The only downside to this is that you'll do it in real life when writing lists of instructions and people will make fun of you.

In unrelated systems designer news, I managed to break Excel for the first time in the 5.5 years I've been doing this job. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed it took that long or amused that it actually happened.

wodin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2013

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

wodin posted:

In unrelated systems designer news, I managed to break Excel for the first time in the 5.5 years I've been doing this job. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed it took that long or amused that it actually happened.

If you used a Mac, this would have happened on day 1! I swear, at least half the reason I keep VMWare on my laptop is to run Excel in Windows.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

"Observe" is stupid because it basically reads like "Pay attention" without providing any other detail. By itself, it's worthless, and put in front of something else- "Observe the duck exploding"- it's redundant. It's just a nonsense word people think sounds smart or technical and should be stricken from quality assurance forever.

Unfortunately you have to write bugs for the guy who will tell you that a bug doesn't happen and state that them being unable to reproduce it is proof, until you show it them and find out they didn't actually follow the god drat steps.

You can't assume anything when it comes to reporting bugs, even that somebody would do basic poo poo like pay attention.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
My studio is looking for a UI artist. Most notable mobile titles are DragonVale, Papertoss, and NinJump. There are other open positions but UI is one we're hurting for most.
http://www.backflipstudios.com/jobs/ui-artist/

We're located in Boulder. Work/life balance is really solid, I trust the management, there's no shortage of funding, and if you're into outdoorsy things, Boulder is the perfect spot for all your hiking/climbing/skiing/snowboarding/biking dreams. And legal, retail weed is coming online in January if that's your thing
PM me if you're interested in working on mobile titles in the mountains.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Moving to Boulder this winter (taking a preliminary trip up next month to go looking at places); is there a meetup/drinking group of gamedevgoons? Or is it just the Boulder/Denver area thread meetup?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Diplomaticus posted:

Moving to Boulder this winter (taking a preliminary trip up next month to go looking at places); is there a meetup/drinking group of gamedevgoons? Or is it just the Boulder/Denver area thread meetup?
There's CiGDA, which I run - mostly indies show up - and then there's the official IGDA meeting - which tends to be a bit stuffy. There's no real equivalent of the Seattle beer night, if that's what you're looking for.

CiGDA north side casual is probably the closest. It just happens to be in a Panera, so less beer, more tea and baked goods.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
UK goons, have you been as miserably hot at work as I have? 28 degrees in Dundee is not what i was expecting on my move up to Scotland at all.

Though if this keeps up I am considering sending the gophers on trips to the shops for ice cream cos goddamn its the right weather for that poo poo.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

UK goons, have you been as miserably hot at work as I have? 28 degrees in Dundee is not what i was expecting on my move up to Scotland at all.

Though if this keeps up I am considering sending the gophers on trips to the shops for ice cream cos goddamn its the right weather for that poo poo.

Fun isn't it! The best part is that we never get thunderstorms here in Dundee so the humidity never drops!

Enjoy slow broil hell.

MUHAHAHA!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Fellblade posted:

You can't assume anything when it comes to reporting bugs, even that somebody would do basic poo poo like pay attention.

Well, but then you say on the final repro step, "--->5.The car will fall through the world." or something. Adding "observe" in front of that adds nothing.

To get off QA chat, After my experiences color-commenting an LP I was localization editor on I got some of my other friends I knew that did localizing stuff and submitted a panel to PAX Prime about localizing titled "All Your Words Are Belong To Us: How Localiztion Works (And Why It Sometimes Doesn't)" which joyously got approved this past week.

Unfortunately, between when we submitted it back in April and got approved for it last week, one of the panelists' schedules changed to preclude his attending. Now I've got a pre-approved panel short one participant, so, anyone out there with localization experience want a free 4-day pass to PAX Prime in exchange for sitting on a panel for an hour on Friday afternoon?

The guy who had to cancel was the "Old-schooler" of the group, so anyone with experience localizing games of the 32-bit or even 16-bit eras would be great...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

GetWellGamers posted:

Unfortunately, between when we submitted it back in April and got approved for it last week, one of the panelists' schedules changed to preclude his attending. Now I've got a pre-approved panel short one participant, so, anyone out there with localization experience want a free 4-day pass to PAX Prime in exchange for sitting on a panel for an hour on Friday afternoon?
I don't need a pass, though I will be there, and have been involved with localization before, and would be free that day if you absolutely need a stand-in / can't find anyone else.

I'm a programmer, though, so my perspective is more "UTF8 is the god drat devil" / "why don't more text editors support UTF8" / "You visualize increasingly elaborate ways of killing the inventor of XML" / "Build tools - never let designers even breathe on the XML". I gather you're focusing more on the people doing the language translation / data entry.

EDIT: VV Please try and find someone else. I don't think I'd be a good fit, I'm just making a "if you're going to be super screwed and can't find anyone" offer.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 13, 2013

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, we do have a "localization/Text Pipeline engineer" slot on the panel already. I'm really looking for someone with a more historical perspective, but I'll keep you on the list if you wanna go and I can't find anyone.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Fellblade posted:

Unfortunately you have to write bugs for the guy who will tell you that a bug doesn't happen and state that them being unable to reproduce it is proof, until you show it them and find out they didn't actually follow the god drat steps.

See? This argument isn't actually about "observe." It's about developers and QA having hilariously little respect for each other. Obviously this isn't the case at every studio, but developers tend to think QA are sperglords who try to sound more important than they are (hence "observe") and QA thinks developers are overrated morons who need to be told to fix their bugs correctly (hence "observe").

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, we do have a "localization/Text Pipeline engineer" slot on the panel already. I'm really looking for someone with a more historical perspective, but I'll keep you on the list if you wanna go and I can't find anyone.

I don't know about historicalness, but you might try getting in touch with SpaceDrake here on the forums, since he bootstrapped himself a localization company with Recettear and lives not insanely far from PAX, IIRC.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

emoticon posted:

See? This argument isn't actually about "observe." It's about developers and QA having hilariously little respect for each other. Obviously this isn't the case at every studio, but developers tend to think QA are sperglords who try to sound more important than they are (hence "observe") and QA thinks developers are overrated morons who need to be told to fix their bugs correctly (hence "observe").

"please to releasing the codes"

It's all about communication, and you'll find contempt wherever you go because you can't attach emotions to written word when discussing how something occurred, because if you could, none of us would be developers. We'd all be making that sweet sweet Del Rey cash as we write about yet another super weapon capable of destroying planets in the star wars expanded universe with our high school level creative writing experience.

Having the people doing QA be in a skype chat and go overboard with the emotes has actually helped out a ton on the project I'm currently working on. Especially since nearly all of them ESL. A smiley (and in some cases even a lovely generated meme) has helped them put a face, however inhuman, to their words, giving us additional contextual meaning. Granted we all work for the same company, so its easier for us to communicate with each other, but when I first came on to the project there was very little emotive communication and a lot of broken english. Now we've got a wink at the end of a teasing comment, no one's feelings are hurt, and you don't have to explain to someone that when you told them the reason the program was crashing was because of thermite paint embedded within the code you were making fun of 9/11 truthers.

Shalinor posted:

I'm a programmer, though, so my perspective is more "UTF8 is the god drat devil" / "why don't more text editors support UTF8" / "You visualize increasingly elaborate ways of killing the inventor of XML" / "Build tools - never let designers even breathe on the XML". I gather you're focusing more on the people doing the language translation / data entry.

Build Tools - How to waste 4 years of your life and still not solve header dependencies in MSVC easily

The panel should have a big sign on it saying "wchar_t is not UTF-16" in big neon letters that flash whenever someone says the magic word, because I want to smack anyone who thinks it is.
The magic word is "but", as in "but what if you're not targeting china?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aliginge posted:

I'm expecting a post in 6 months time of 'how the gently caress is it so cold'

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

Only when our AC resets and decides the best way to go from 27 to 20 is through HEAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Aliginge posted:

The heating/AC in our building has been hosed for ages so I froze through the winter(seriously my tablet was like a sheet of ice) but now the AC works and it is blessedly cool in my corner of the office! Yaaay

Also we get visited by an icecream van pretty much every afternoon. That guy must be making loving bank.

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 13, 2013