Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If you can't figure out why this isn't a cool thing to call people in the 21st century, I don't know what to tell you. Have you wandered off reddit or something?

Good thing it's fiction.

You can't seriously, with a straight face, sit here and claim that a fictional character can't use an insult for the purposes of insulting another fictional character without everyone's feelings getting hurt. That's what insults are for. Is it insulting? Yes. It's an insult. These characters literally murder each other. Beating the poo poo out of each other the norm. It's kind of why we are reading it. But heaven forbid a fictional character who we have literally seen murder countless people call someone a sissy. It just doesn't make any sense at all to be butthurt over something like this. The only possible justification for this position is to show everyone how PC you are.

More funny panels.

Amazing Spider-Man #672

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We all know there's only one way to insult people and only one way for this derail to end.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 9, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As always, Nextwave is better.

Although it only works with the previous page.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm surprised to see so many people defending Mark "I'll just have the hero's girlfriend get gangraped!" Millar over anything. Just because a wildly out of place gay joke in an already really poo poo series is one of the least bad things he's done, it is still the same juvenile "edgy" bullshit he always does.

I get the Ultimates is basically "What if the Avengers were all really lovely assholes" but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy watching iconic characters fling stupid playground insults at each other.

Edit: forgot what thread this was. Here's Captain Marvel and Wolverine hard at work defending Avengers HQ in, I think, A+X #6

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2013

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I find extra amusement in that the Euro symbol isn't even a letter, properly speaking.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I think Millar is actually quite liberal, so I'm guessing that he put this in there to show what an idiot hulk is.

... at least I hope he did :(. I also have to give credit to millar for making me hate captain america, something I thought would be impossible.

The world, and the geek world in particular, is full of ostensibly progressive people who accidentally regurgitate society's crap without realising how offensive it is.

caboodle posted:

Another case where someone doesn't understand characterisation in a story.
I can't wait for you to get to big boy books.

Another person who doesn't understand that "This character would do X, it's realistic!" means nothing when the writer is engineering a situation in which saying X is the 'realistic' response. When the writer controls how saying X is presented to the reader. If you can't tell the difference between "Here is a reprehensible villain saying something terrible" and "Here are our heroes saying something terrible and I'm presenting it as a cool and funny moment." then you are not ready for the big boy books. Stick to Mark Millar instead.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Certain types are exclusive to the United States, yes.

I think you're certainly going to have to expand on this one, because that seems a pretty insular statement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WordMercenary posted:

I think you're certainly going to have to expand on this one, because that seems a pretty insular statement.
Its not a complicated idea. Situations usually have an influence on that type of thing, plus past history. Tbat is why Europe is insanely bigoted against the Roma, while the US doesn't know that they even exist. African-Americans, and their long history here are another situation where things are not seen in a similar light between continents.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not a complicated idea. Situations usually have an influence on that type of thing, plus past history. Tbat is why Europe is insanely bigoted against the Roma, while the US doesn't know that they even exist. African-Americans, and their long history here are another situation where things are not seen in a similar light between continents.

Trust me man, while we may not have precisely the same history, we are well aware that discrimination against black people is a bad thing, and we have much the same problems with it as you do. Sure there's unique stuff (like being wierded out by the US's tendency to glamourise the Confederacy) but the idea that you have to live in or come from the US to write about race just seems... well kinda self centred of you guys.

After all, who the hell do you think started the slave trade in the first place?

EDIT - For example, it doesn't take any specific knowledge of American culture to know that a middle class white kid beating up some dark skinned people over graffiti is a lovely image.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WordMercenary posted:

After all, who the hell do you think started the slave trade in the first place?

....Hitler? :shobon:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So you know how comics with large casts frequently have little captions pop up when a new character shows up to explain their name and power? This is the best one I've ever seen:

X-Men Legacy #13

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jerusalem posted:

....Hitler? :shobon:

Well, now that you bring him up in this Captain America discussion, you know what cover has to be posted:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

He wasn't implying all discourse about racism towards black people; just some of the more nuanced things that have come because of American culture. Also, the last page is stupid and post more panels

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Millar made some really stupid comments about race back when he was just breaking into comics but for the life of me I can't find the quotes anywhere.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Rhyno posted:

Millar made some really stupid comments about race back when he was just breaking into comics but for the life of me I can't find the quotes anywhere.

Something to do with him openly wondering if there were any black retarded people?

He also had a joke pitch modeled after Death of Superman called Rape of Wonder Woman. I can't believe I ever liked the guy. Past Me was an idiot.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

smashpro1 posted:

Not MY President!

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

That's not the president, that's the Mayor of Earth. Totally different.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Something to do with him openly wondering if there were any black retarded people?

He also had a joke pitch modeled after Death of Superman called Rape of Wonder Woman. I can't believe I ever liked the guy. Past Me was an idiot.

:psyduck:

Did it go:

Panel 1: Dude tries to rape Wonder Woman
Panels 2-500: Wonder Woman beats 7 shades of poo poo out of the dude

Anyway, back to funny panels - I always enjoy whenever Hal Jordan looks stupid:

Green Lantern #3 (2011)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mike From Nowhere posted:

He also had a joke pitch modeled after Death of Superman called Rape of Wonder Woman.

There's something almost prescient about that, death and rape as the future number boosters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SirDan3k posted:

There's something almost prescient about that, death and rape as the future number boosters.

There was some webcomic that used that exact premise as a joke. I think it was in reaction to Identity Crisis.

I had no idea how close to reality it was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kharmakazy posted:

More funny panels.

Amazing Spider-Man #672

On one hand I'm like :allears: Oh Kaine :allears:

And then on the other hand I'm like :argh: SLOTT!!! :argh:

When I read all that stuff with my Marvel Sub, I enjoyed it, but, y'know, it's not exactly Ultimate Spider-man.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Spider-Man, let us check his comic strip this past week.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
thais the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why isn't this the main Spider-Man book? Put Spock into the loving newspaper and make way for the important Spider-Man stories.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not a great plan, though. He's kinda hosed if the flight is overbooked.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Newspaper Spider-Man is just incredible, and I have to believe that Stan Lee still writes it himself. I know he's old and busy and whatever, but that's more than a week of strips and you know he could write that in ten minutes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not a great plan, though. He's kinda hosed if the flight is overbooked.

It isn't, he'll just take Peter's seat. It's a fool-proof plan.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It isn't, he'll just take Peter's seat. It's a fool-proof plan.

Overbooked means they sold more tickets than there are seats...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

Overbooked means they sold more tickets than there are seats...

It's Spider-Man, he'll figure it out. That's next week's story :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Next week's story is Spiderman sitting in coach, trying to work out how to eat free peanuts and listen to the in-flight entertainment without compromising his mask.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everything about that comic is incredible. I love how the guard still refers to him as "a masked guy in a spider-man suit" even after he's used all his powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Man vs. Modern Airline Anti-Consumer Practices is not a very compelling story.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I guess it's a good thing it's not being posted in the "Comics With Compelling Stories" thread then.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordPants posted:

thais the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

That grin on Obama is even more coprophagous than his usual and I love it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Spider-Man vs. Modern Airline Anti-Consumer Practices is not a very compelling story.

I hope we never see Tarantula, that Stan Lee just forgets where the plot was going and have him fly home to New York.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Can't Spider-Man just stick to the outside of the jet? Or hell, sail behind it on a web line?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

ghosthorse posted:

Can't Spider-Man just stick to the outside of the jet? Or hell, sail behind it on a web line?

Spiders are not known for their resistance to near-freezing temperatures or ability to function in low-pressure environments.

edit: holy poo poo I am never more glad to be wrong.

double edit: whoa, why does the American flag have black stripes?

Majuju fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 9, 2013

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think the main problem with that plan is that it would be next to impossible to breath.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Not a panel but an amazing story

Everyone needs to check Jim Steranko twitter for the story about him meeting Bob Kane and bitchslapping him.

Jim Steranko posted:

I'd hadn't encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin' SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him,
and walked me into a hallway. There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes--
and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f******g Flintheart in a Dick Tracy cartoon.
For years, I'd heard how he'd taken credit for Bill Finger's contributions (in addition to half his pay) and other
despicable tales from his associates. But nothing aces an in-person encounter. We were introduced and Kane began talking
about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully.
He felt I credited Robinson & Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much. Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious,
an intolerable rear end as pompous as they come. I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements.
The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened. Our conversation ended,
but not before he said: "See you later, Jim, baby,"
and cuffed me across the face--like some rat-pack street gesture he'd seen in some cheap flick. The doors closed...
I was stunned by the sheer audacity of a stranger--like him--to lay a hand on me, and boiling with anger.
That night, I couldn't sleep and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty. Around noon, I found him
in another group, which I walked into. "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then bitch-slapped him across the face.
But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us. I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting. He did nothing.
I turned and left. But I regret it now. I regret that he didn't do anything about it,
even though he was at least a head taller than me. I wouldn't have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity
to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Majuju posted:

double edit: whoa, why does the American flag have black stripes?
Newspapers are still printed in black and white, so the strip is designed for that, then colored by some random guy who probably didn't read it for the internet.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Fraction just retweeted the entire thing, absolutely amazing. I guess I should be following Steranko, shouldn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, Fraction just retweeted the entire thing, absolutely amazing. I guess I should be following Steranko, shouldn't I?

Yes. It is the most amazing thing.

• Locked thread