Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Soylent Pudding posted:

How do I make my jingoism go up? I've been steadily advancing into Mexico but my jingoism keeps falling so I can't add any war goals.

Just being at war with low war exhaustion makes Jingoism rise, conversely, high WE makes it fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cadmaniak
Nov 21, 2006

Le God

Soylent Pudding posted:

How do I make my jingoism go up? I've been steadily advancing into Mexico but my jingoism keeps falling so I can't add any war goals.

If you are assaulting provinces then try to take a couple at the same time, as each time you conquer one province your jingoism will rise for a short period.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

A nation can't drop out of great power status while at war.

A nation CANNOT drop out of GP status if the war is resulting from a crisis, but it can drop out of GP status during any other "normal" kind of war.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

Spam elections.

To elections, by jingo!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Okay now the Pope offered me an Imperial Crown (CK Deus Vult). But..it's a trait. Can this be passed along to my heirs, and can I release Kingdoms and keep it?

My Croation and British holdings are kind of just a pain in the rear end and don't really benefit me that much, especially when they levy only a few thousands units compared to Venice being 60k on its own (Roma, Genoa, and Alexandria are all a ton as well)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

tbp posted:

Okay now the Pope offered me an Imperial Crown (CK Deus Vult). But..it's a trait. Can this be passed along to my heirs, and can I release Kingdoms and keep it?

My Croation and British holdings are kind of just a pain in the rear end and don't really benefit me that much, especially when they levy only a few thousands units compared to Venice being 60k on its own (Roma, Genoa, and Alexandria are all a ton as well)

It's just a trait. All your heirs can receive it as well, but they have to be offered it - nothing more, sadly.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Does saving your game in EU3 make changes to any files outside of the Save folder? I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing my Watcher mod to crash on startup, especially since it started fine before the first time I saved.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I know it's nothing compared to the incredible work Westminster is doing (!!) but I finally got around to releasing my Cascadia nation mod for actual installation/play. Here's the OP on the Paradox forums:

quote:

Download the Cascadia Mod, version 0.2 (7 July 2013)

To install: Drop the contents of the ZIP file into your Victoria 2/mod/ folder, launch the game, and check "Cascadia Add-on" before starting the game.

At the dawn of the Nineteenth Century, Thomas Jefferson suggested that one day a republic would emerge on North America's Pacific coast as America's next second great experiment in democracy. The idea began to grow in settlers of the area, who met and voted to form their own independent nation in 1843. But growing concern over territorial disputes and the Civil War would eventually kill the idea. Today it remains as a bio-regional movement focused on regional pride or a second stab at independence, depending on who you ask.

This mod explores an alternate reality where Cascadia formed early. It will be an uphill struggle to maintain independence in the face of Manifest Destiny sentiment, balancing immigration and population, and securing your cores that are controlled by the powers that be in North America.

The 1836 starting point gives you a head-start in technology, but with very little population. The 1861 start finds you sandwiched between a war-torn USA, the United Kingdom, and a rivalry with a break-away group: The State of Jefferson. Jefferson seeks its own independence, making it your own little civil war to contend with.

Screenshots:

Features:
- Two new playable nations, Cascadia and the State of Jefferson.
- "Unpredictable outcomes to keep you on the edge of your seat!" (Bugs.)

Known Issues:
- I don't have any events setup yet. Would like to create an event for the independence of Jefferson in 1859 for the 1836 starting scenario.

Things To Do:
- Events (see above). I could probably use some help with this, if you're feeling up to it.

Feedback is appreciated! I'm fantastically new to modding Paradox games, so I might be screwing up horribly without even knowing.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?701157-HoD-Cascadia-(and-the-State-of-Jefferson)

My next plans are to get it working for the New Nations Mod, similar to the "hotfix" where you can just drop the new files in and overwrite the existing ones. I might have a couple of different versions, where it exists at the start of the game and where it is triggered by an event.

Edit: Table breakage ahoy!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looks cool, but I'll wait for NNM support and maybe some cool events.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
With all the Byzantium in the thread lately, I figured I'd take a run at them in EU3 again. I kinda hate their default flag, so I google-image searched for Byzantine flags, found one that I liked, and modified it slightly. All credit belongs here, unless you hate it, in which case I did it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

With all the Byzantium in the thread lately, I figured I'd take a run at them in EU3 again. I kinda hate their default flag, so I google-image searched for Byzantine flags, found one that I liked, and modified it slightly. All credit belongs here, unless you hate it, in which case I did it.

In EUIII that is what the flag was for Byzantium during the 14th century. According to The Book of Knowledge of All Kingdoms. Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos personally used the double-headed Eagle that we equate with the Orthodox Church however.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YouTuber posted:

In EUIII that is what the flag was for Byzantium during the 14th century. According to The Book of Knowledge of All Kingdoms. Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos personally used the double-headed Eagle that we equate with the Orthodox Church however.

It's pretty close. I didn't really do much research. It looks like the original flag was the dynastic banner and dynastic emblem combined, but with a more standardized cross shape.

I made it purple with sorta red trim some places. :downs:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Drink Cheerwine posted:

It's pretty close. I didn't really do much research. It looks like the original flag was the dynastic banner and dynastic emblem combined, but with a more standardized cross shape.

I made it purple with sorta red trim some places. :downs:

No, I meant the white and red flag that is stock with the game. After Constantinople was retaken by the Greeks from the Crusaders there is some written stuff stating that they used the Double-Headed Eagle flag that CK2 would use for the Ecumenial Patriach. Gold being the Emperor's personal standard and Silver being Governors and Black being low level dignitaries.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YouTuber posted:

No, I meant the white and red flag that is stock with the game. After Constantinople was retaken by the Greeks from the Crusaders there is some written stuff stating that they used the Double-Headed Eagle flag that CK2 would use for the Ecumenial Patriach. Gold being the Emperor's personal standard and Silver being Governors and Black being low level dignitaries.

Oh. Of course, it must be. If it wasn't, there would be periodic Byzantophile riots on the Pdox forums, I think.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, sorry if this is a common question, (currently mid-game with a friend of mine, so I can't check all that easily, I'm afraid) but is there some way I can remove/destroy a naval base that was already built in my capital state at the start of the game, so that I can rebuild it elsewhere in the state? Since I'm playing as Argentina and I'd rather the naval base be in Buenos Aires where my garrison is, rather than down in Bahia Blanca, since I don't want to either leave it undefended or split my garrison force. Thanks

EDIT: vvv Hmm, how can I do that for a single province? Allow rebels to occupy it, or?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 9, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, sorry if this is a common question, (currently mid-game with a friend of mine, so I can't check all that easily, I'm afraid) but is there some way I can remove/destroy a naval base that was already built in my capital state at the start of the game, so that I can rebuild it elsewhere in the state? Since I'm playing as Argentina and I'd rather the naval base be in Buenos Aires where my garrison is, rather than down in Bahia Blanca. Thanks

Lose control of the province with the naval base in it, build the base in the correct province and then re-conquer the old one.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I had fun with my most recent Victoria 2 game, playing Japan:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Kersch posted:

I had fun with my most recent Victoria 2 game, playing Japan:

You took bits of west Africa but not China?! :stare:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

BillBear posted:

You took bits west Africa but not China?! :stare:

I focused on breaking up and putting parts of China into my sphere earlier in the game. Whenever one would break from my sphere or something, the others would declare unification wars on it. Eventually an event fired that reunified the entire country and it shot into great power status. I had already sunk 40+ infamy into China and didn't have anything left to show for it, and I didn't feel like starting over. Granted, I started to ignore infamy near the end, but ehhh.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I had an AI Japan dismember a post-GP splintered China and end up puppeting one faction that they then spent twenty years conquering the rest of China for. Of course, the puppet became a GP again and ended up invading Japan.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Kersch posted:

I focused on breaking up and putting parts of China into my sphere earlier in the game. Whenever one would break from my sphere or something, the others would declare unification wars on it. Eventually an event fired that reunified the entire country and it shot into great power status. I had already sunk 40+ infamy into China and didn't have anything left to show for it, and I didn't feel like starting over. Granted, I started to ignore infamy near the end, but ehhh.

Ah, that sucks dude.

I like the Japanese California though, when ever I tried taking it off them I usually got my rear end handed to me very quickly, even during the ACW.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So, what's the fastest anyone's ever seen a crisis war wrap up? Because I just had one end in a white peace after one day. It was Britain, Germany (Me), Sweden, and Japan versus Austria, France, Russia, and the Ottomans over the release of Kurdistan. I think the problem may have been that Austria was due to lose Great Power status before the Crisis started (And they did the moment it ended.) I'm grateful I didn't have to fight a massive war on three fronts, but at the same time I feel seriously blue-balled.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is the AI supposed to get greedy as gently caress when it comes to war goals during Great Wars, or does my world's AI Great Britain just have a ton of jingoism support? Today they pulled me into a Great War alongside the entire Commonwealth, Spain, and me (Netherlands) vs. France, Russia, Portugal, A-H, and Venezuela. France was utterly annihilated, but the UK kept piling on war goals against Russia non-stop (at one point I think they had 5 or 6 "dismantle fortifications in <randomfuckingrussianprovince>" goals tacked on, causing this Great War to just last foreeeever.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drone posted:

Is the AI supposed to get greedy as gently caress when it comes to war goals during Great Wars, or does my world's AI Great Britain just have a ton of jingoism support? Today they pulled me into a Great War alongside the entire Commonwealth, Spain, and me (Netherlands) vs. France, Russia, Portugal, A-H, and Venezuela. France was utterly annihilated, but the UK kept piling on war goals against Russia non-stop (at one point I think they had 5 or 6 "dismantle fortifications in <randomfuckingrussianprovince>" goals tacked on, causing this Great War to just last foreeeever.

Yeah, I think the infamy and war score cost is heavily discounted during a Great War.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Drone posted:

Yup sounds historical. WW1 was an "annex Serbia" CB at best and look how that turned out.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

If one of the substates Westernizes first, all the substates become independent. If Chinese Empire (the main part) Westernizes first, it annexes all the substates.

The real death sentence to China is if the Boxer Rebellion happens before China Westernizes. If Boxers win (and if they pop up, they WILL win), all of the substates become independent (and Tibet's vassalization is broken) AND every one of the GPs gets a free CB against China (and I usually see Russia take it).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Patter Song posted:

If one of the substates Westernizes first, all the substates become independent. If Chinese Empire (the main part) Westernizes first, it annexes all the substates.

The real death sentence to China is if the Boxer Rebellion happens before China Westernizes. If Boxers win (and if they pop up, they WILL win), all of the substates become independent (and Tibet's vassalization is broken) AND every one of the GPs gets a free CB against China (and I usually see Russia take it).

Also good for breaking China is to back the Heavenly Kingdom, as the HK winning will give the substates independence. I don't think Japan can westernize and unite so fast it can give any meaningful support to the HK, but if you manage it, China will be less of a threat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Also good for breaking China is to back the Heavenly Kingdom, as the HK winning will give the substates independence. I don't think Japan can westernize and unite so fast it can give any meaningful support to the HK, but if you manage it, China will be less of a threat.

You can westernize under the new system within a couple years as Japan by simply beating up all of your smaller neighbors.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWsCobcGtCk

An interview with Shams Jorjani and Fred Wester where they talk about the potential for EU Rome 2. Skip ahead to 3:30

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
In my latest Japan game I westernised sometimes in the 1840s after annexing Dai Nam. China was their ally and I beat them up so bad they fell to reactionary rebels shortly after. All the substates became independent and..

:getin:
Japan has got to be the one of the best nations to do a world conquest with. Has anyone tried it in HoD?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

gradenko_2000 posted:

An interview with Shams Jorjani and Fred Wester where they talk about the potential for EU Rome 2. Skip ahead to 3:30

Ouch. Maybe they should just hand it off to another developer? Surely somebody out there could do Rome 2 well, right?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Nightblade posted:

In my latest Japan game I westernised sometimes in the 1840s after annexing Dai Nam. China was their ally and I beat them up so bad they fell to reactionary rebels shortly after. All the substates became independent and..

Japan has got to be the one of the best nations to do a world conquest with. Has anyone tried it in HoD?

What mod do you use to make the flags square?

catlord posted:

Ouch. Maybe they should just hand it off to another developer? Surely somebody out there could do Rome 2 well, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if MM and EvW have soured them from hiring things out.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 10, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
So, uh, guys, in a week the Three Month Rule ends for HoD and someone can finally LP it. Is anyone up for the task? Because I'll do it if nobody else comes forward.

Nightblade posted:

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph :stare: I need to try that one of these days.

Bishop Rodan posted:

What mod do you use to make the flags square?

I think it's the Big Flag Frames mod.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nightblade posted:

If anything, HOD has made it even easier because annexing Dai Nam and the other Asian odds and ends gives you additional RP to let you Westernize even faster.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anything, HOD has made it even easier because annexing Dai Nam and the other Asian odds and ends gives you additional RP to let you Westernize even faster.

You can also easily go over your infamy limit basically instantly with no repercussions since the only nation that really cares is China and after you've dealt with them nobody else will be able to say boo to you.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

That's the one, cheers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jesus, EU Rome must have done really, really, really poorly even they're talking about a kickstarter to gauge interest. Of course, I'm inclined to think that it did poorly because it was a so-so game, and and a full-fledged Rome/Ancient Empires game that got the same love as CKII or EUIV would do tons better.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

So, uh, guys, in a week the Three Month Rule ends for HoD and someone can finally LP it. Is anyone up for the task? Because I'll do it if nobody else comes forward.

Well, The Official Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends is ready for the first day, and it will be a succession LP, so technically anyone can run it!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's odd, I'm not terribly interested in Antiquity, but for some reason I really want a good Antiquity game/mod. I know there are a couple Antiquity mods for CK2, but I don't think any are done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Does Steppe Wolfe count as an antiquity mod? I've had fun with it, because it's the most beautiful trainwreck I've ever seen.

also

Nightblade posted:

:monocle:
The Greater East-Asian Co-prosperity sphere is doing much better than expected it seems.

• Locked thread