Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Me in Reverse posted:

First off, you make the huge mistake that every "creative" does when they're pitching their pet project -- you are personally invested in your imagined universe and spit out a mile of poo poo that nobody cares about. I have NO IDEA what the plot of this thing is other than "There's an infection, since it's called Infection, and it's a "Sci-Fi Thriller". Work on an elevator pitch -- why do I give a poo poo about this story? I shouldn't have to read Character Bios to find out *anything* about it.

I skimmed and ended up reading (and hating) the Characters section.

1) Bad writing. Everything is repetitive and full of abstract meaningless :words:. "your pivotal role ultimately dictates the narrative." "A passionate revolutionary, he is a character with strong opinions and stronger motivations."

2) You didn't do any research. You invented the "Engineer" and then described an actual Boatswain. You picked Boatswain out of a hat (because it sounds cool?) and then completely misdefined it as your "captain's right hand man".

3) lovely gender politics. The Nav Tech is "One of the few women on the ship" and is, of course, dressed in boob armor with a bare midriff and tight pants. I'm praying that I'm reading between the lines incorrectly with "nurse" and "A re-purposed entertainment bot" but please tell me you're not writing in "a pleasure model :reddit:" Ugh.

4) "The Dog - Mascot character and lovable member of the crew. Do you believe in Dog?"
Nope, I don't.

EDIT: Jesus loving christ you weasel

So basically you came up with a story. You don't have code, even though you imply you do. I don't know if you mean programming language or linguistic language, but either way you're not going to magically "program it in nearly any language" without an actual programmer, an actual codebase, or alternatively multiple translators. Not Google Translate.

The main risk, according to you, is the lack of any actual parts of a game. Code. Visuals. Music.

Everything in the kickstarter description is just tremendously over-written.

quote:

A Player Crafted Story - The choices you make in this game all have a depth to them, and really do allow you to craft the narrative. We've made a game that does not take choices lightly.

Multiple Outcomes - With every choice comes consequence, and although out game offers multiple endings we've worked hard so that these outcomes have variety to them without forcing you to go through repetitive sections.

Rewarding Choices - No choice is wrong in this game, and they all lead to an ending we are proud of. Every finale you the player bring yourself to is one we are proud of. We think that no choice should be punishing, that every end is a quality finish.

This whole section can be condensed down to the much more easily digestible "We believe your choices will meaningfully impact the game and lead you to one of the many endings we have planned." Instead, it dances around bullet-points and repeats itself over and over, especially in the parts I italicised. I hope to God the one doing the writing isn't the same one doing the pitch.

Edit: Okay, they are two different people.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Came across this, and it just seems particularly bad.
LEDGE; A Minimal Wall Mount for iPad & Other Tablets
Or, more accurately, put it in a narrow slow on a narrow shelf attached to the wall by 3M Command Strips.

You get a minimally-milled aluminum bar for a mere $28! And then you can put your $200-600 tablet in it, secured only by a slight angle and a dollar's worth of adhesive (ok, you can use screws or anchors, but that only secures the shelf; the device can still be easily tipped out).
I suspect it will get funded; 20 days left and it's more than halfway there.

(Bingo checklist: iAccessory, aluminum finish, minimalistic design, device stand, risks destroying expensive device)

Pyroclastic has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jul 8, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Everything in the kickstarter description is just tremendously over-written.

This whole section can be condensed down to the much more easily digestible "We believe your choices will meaningfully impact the game and lead you to one of the many endings we have planned." Instead, it dances around bullet-points and repeats itself over and over, especially in the parts I italicised. I hope to God the one doing the writing isn't the same one doing the pitch.

Edit: Okay, they are two different people.

This is even more hilarious when you consider that player choices and multiple endings are pretty much part of the definition of visual novels. It's like advertising leveling up in an RPG.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is even more hilarious when you consider that player choices and multiple endings are pretty much part of the definition of visual novels. It's like advertising leveling up in an RPG.

Another thing that bugs me about the Infection video is they are trying to be the first english visual novel company or something like that? But several companies have them beat and there are several niche companies that either translate or make their own (Academagia devs and etc)..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Exmond posted:

Another thing that bugs me about the Infection video is they are trying to be the first english visual novel company or something like that? But several companies have them beat and there are several niche companies that either translate or make their own (Academagia devs and etc)..

Tinman games is another company that's specialized in Choose Your Own adventure games:
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

Basically porting over many of the old paper Gamebooks but they also crank out new adventures from time to time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

And at least they're only charging 7 bucks for international shipping, not FIFTY. Seriously goon dude, 50 dollars to ship me a DVD of your lovely Visual Novel and a press kit (whatever that entails)? You're avin' a larf mate.
For real. Even for my Pebble watch I only paid US$15 for shipping, and I live in Taiwan. Hell, even for a hardcover art book shipped from the US I only paid US$25. $50 for a CD? That poo poo better be straight-up, literal gold. Even if the rest of the project was awesome, that alone would put me right off immediately.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

etalian posted:

Tinman games is another company that's specialized in Choose Your Own adventure games:
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/

Basically porting over many of the old paper Gamebooks but they also crank out new adventures from time to time.

They did nothing but their own adventures until they managed to get the Fighting Fantasy license. Another company that does similar games, Inkle, got the license to adapt the Sorcery sub-series (due to copyright shenanigans, the licenses are completely separate). Both licenses were previously held by companies that basically failed at them.

Tin Man is also doing the sci-fi gamebooks by the guy behind Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

BiggerJ has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Jul 8, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So the Life On Bitcoin KS hit their funding goal in June

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitcoinlife/life-on-bitcoin-a-documentary-film?ref=category

Cmon people for an additional $20K they can go from buying a copy of Garage Band to hiring a Garage Band producer!

KS posted:

The baseline for our project and documentary is for everyday necessities to be found and bought using bitcoin. That includes:

Furniture Guy on Craigslist was willing to give us IKEA furniture for some BTC if we'd let him watch us gently caress
Groceries There was supposedly a raw foods market that was taking Bitcoin but they got shut down so we'll just dumpster dive and save money!
Cell phone No cell phone company takes bitcoin so we have decided to boycott the telecoms and write them a strongly worded letter demanding they accept bitcoin if they know what's good for them
Internet We were able to find a coffee shop that takes bitcoin and siphon their free wifi
Rent Some dude from Silk Road offered to send us rocks in exchange for bitcoins. We found a landlord in a transitional neighborhood willing to be smoked out in exchange for room and board
Restaurants We paid a guy some bitcoins to go buy us some Subway.
Medical No health insurance company will take bitcoin leading us to our next point
Life Insurance It was my spouse's stupid idea to try and live off Bitcoin, I shouldn't have to die for their mistakes. gently caress them I'm getting mine
Everything else we might need, from chewing gum to a plumber (never said anything about sexual favors being against the rules)

KS posted:

"We'll try to do the following:
1. Buy a reliable but cheap car with bitcoin
2. Travel at least 600 miles each way
3. Pay for gas (even if we have to barter with farmers)
4. Find car insurance
5. Stay in hotels (or camp if we can't find hotels)

1. I hear BFL makes good cars, at least that's what the one guy who his shipped to him says. He just happens to work for BFL
2. The radiator blew up on you 50 miles in? Caveat Emptor I got mine :smug:
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jC0TP-Yug
4. Pay a guy bitcoin to buy you insurance with dirty fiat
5. Well you see we used the fiat we got from the Kickstarter to buy bitcoin which we in turn sold for fiat to pay for a hotel. Therefore we used bitcoin!

God I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics they use to skirt the spirit of this experiment :munch:

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Jul 8, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Alan Smithee posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitcoinlife/life-on-bitcoin-a-documentary-film?ref=category

Cmon people for an additional $20K they can go from buying a copy of Garage Band to hiring a Garage Band producer!

God I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics they use to skirt the spirit of this experiment :munch:

So they got their food completely independently of bitcoin by dumpster diving, paid for their rent in CRACK, used the free wi-fi in a coffee shop and got furniture from a voyeur by letting him watch them gently caress? Truly the currency of the future. They might as well have ditched the bitcoin and gone freegan/given up money altogether and joined an anarchist collective in a squat, at least that way they'd have had people to talk to and one of the anarchists might have had some basic first aid training or even been a nurse or doctor in their former life

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No-one who seriously thinks bitcoins are anything more than Komedy Kurrency actually talks to other people.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Waffleman_ posted:

Moreover, with the way it's written, it's like if an RPG kickstarter was like:

quote:

Level up and increase your strength. If the player gathers the experience and fights enough monsters, s/he will gain unimaginable powers and amazing skills. Progress through the game, and your levels will climb higher and higher; the numbers are on your side! Strike your foes down and increase your power at the cost of their lives!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

So they got their food completely independently of bitcoin by dumpster diving, paid for their rent in CRACK, used the free wi-fi in a coffee shop and got furniture from a voyeur by letting him watch them gently caress? Truly the currency of the future. They might as well have ditched the bitcoin and gone freegan/given up money altogether and joined an anarchist collective in a squat, at least that way they'd have had people to talk to and one of the anarchists might have had some basic first aid training or even been a nurse or doctor in their former life

To be fair I added all the bolded stuff, I probably shouldn't have presented it in the actual quote box since it comes across as truthful but you just know they are going to circumvent actually using bitcoin in pretty much every scenario

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exmond posted:

Hanako Games is another great place for original English VNs*. They're clean, so you don't have to worry if the kiddies are watching, well-written (The Royal Trap especially) and visually competent (though The Royal Trap's backgrounds could use a little work). This is your base competition, Rapdawg, and that's not counting the many, many Japanese VNs that have been translated. From what we've seen, there isn't much you can offer that your competition hasn't yet done better. Does Kickstarter allow project creators to take down and repost stuff? If so, then I suggest you do so, and take a little extra time to polish your proposal before coming back.

*I can heartily personally recommend The Royal Trap and Magical Diary, if you don't mind a little viral marketing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CommissarMega posted:

Does Kickstarter allow project creators to take down and repost stuff? If so, then I suggest you do so, and take a little extra time to polish your proposal before coming back.

KS won't let them take it down once it goes live (especially since it's already received a few pledges) so at this point their options are to ride it out or cancel it.

It's wayyyyyy too early to predict exactly how the project will end but Kicktraq currently has them trending to only 20% of their goal.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

They've received 6 pledges of $10,000 each :psyduck:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

cyberia posted:

They've received 6 pledges of $10,000 each :psyduck:
I feel it is worth mentioning who one of these pledgers is.

cyberia posted:

Suzy is a serial entreprenuer from Texas. She founded the multi-million dollar brand Poo~Pourri (Poopourri.com) with a mission to make everyones poop smell good when we use the toilet—it is a noble quest.
:psyduck:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Totally real testimonials from poo-pourri

quote:

I was so skeptical about this product! I purchased it due to the cleaver name thinking it would make a funny gag gift. The joke was on me… This totally works! I never leave home without it!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

1. I hear BFL makes good cars, at least that's what the one guy who his shipped to him says. He just happens to work for BFL
5. Well you see we used the fiat we got from the Kickstarter to buy bitcoin which we in turn sold for fiat to pay for a hotel. Therefore we used bitcoin!

So the whole using bitcoin concept in real-life is actually finding other people to act as a 3rd party and getting them to use real dollars.

What a useful currency since it can not be used to directly purchase basic necessities in the US.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Watching my less experienced drug dealer friends have to jump through a million hoops to get bitcoins to use on the silk road has probably been more entertaining then that documentary could ever be.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

prahanormal posted:

Watching my less experienced drug dealer friends have to jump through a million hoops to get bitcoins to use on the silk road has probably been more entertaining then that documentary could ever be.

Isn't that more of an end user type of uh service? Your friends are dumb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Honey, sorry we can't buy a house after the wedding since I put the whole joint bank account into Bitcoins.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Reach for your Fusion Wallet!

The fusion wallet actually doesn't look that terrible to me but then I have terrible taste. I'd probably buy one of them if I was young and had less sense than money.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'd probably buy it if I didn't have a $20 leather wallet that I bought 4 years ago that still works fine and is infinitely more functional.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

They'll have no problem living off of Bitcoin because its cult-like followers will want to see them succeed so their movie about how awesome Bitcoin is can push the price higher. If they need a car, some weirdo will beg them to buy his car for Bitcoin. If they need rent, some weirdo will let them live in his extra room for a song. This whole experiment will be a cakewalk for them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

KS won't let them take it down once it goes live (especially since it's already received a few pledges) so at this point their options are to ride it out or cancel it.

Isn't that the same thing? It's what I meant, certainly- can't they just cancel the KS, spruce things up a bit and come back?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Since someone else was asking advice here, I was wondering - do we have any kind of Goon kickstarter help thread? I mean, something for like advice and constructive criticism for campaigns before they're finalized and posted up?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

Since someone else was asking advice here, I was wondering - do we have any kind of Goon kickstarter help thread? I mean, something for like advice and constructive criticism for campaigns before they're finalized and posted up?

SA has forums for tons of creative outlets. Odds are there are groups of goons in all of them willing to help regardless of KS.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That drat Satyr posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Necros posted:

There couldn't be buyers if there weren't sellers.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Necros posted:

You'd be surprised. The site they were using that was a straight money -> bitcoin thing got shut down, so now the only sites they've been able to find make you do a bunch of poo poo with bank account authorization. Not to mention the kind of people who sell drugs on the silk road are not exactly good about getting things to people.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, but what I was saying was I don't think people on silk are sending serious weight through the mail. I mean I've never checked it, but from what I've heard thats the case. What are they buying a quarter ounce of weed and diming it out to people?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

They'll have no problem living off of Bitcoin because its cult-like followers will want to see them succeed so their movie about how awesome Bitcoin is can push the price higher. If they need a car, some weirdo will beg them to buy his car for Bitcoin. If they need rent, some weirdo will let them live in his extra room for a song. This whole experiment will be a cakewalk for them.

Yeah but the key word here is weirdos. I hardly consider dealing with weirdos to be a cakewalk, taking advantage of their generosity or not.

Let's peruse the Kickstarter's comments shall we?

Bitcoins.txt

Why oh why won't the free market support this Randian superman?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I think this is the best place to post this. Not a kickstarter, but a pretty hilarious crowdfunding situation. Girl Jumps Off House, Breaks Feet, Crowdfunds Recovery, Gets Jeered

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Necros posted:

Yeah, but what I was saying was I don't think people on silk are sending serious weight through the mail. I mean I've never checked it, but from what I've heard thats the case. What are they buying a quarter ounce of weed and diming it out to people?

They use it for psychedelics. Mostly sheets.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Just came across this wonderful train wreck of a man, and I just knew I had to share it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/82653245/druggies-and-bullies-beware-bullyproof?ref=recently_launched

In short - It's a man who is using his talents in making animal noises to make an educational game about bullying and drugs. It is just as great as it sounds.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"similar to a video game, but with less graphics"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I dunno, there's something just so :3: about a dude that country trying to make a video game

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It's...it's beautiful. :allears:

I'm sure 13, 14, 15 and 16 year olds would love to answer rhetorical questions in order to earn cartoon turkeys.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alan Smithee posted:

I dunno, there's something just so :3: about a dude that country trying to make a video game

It's also for a good cause too (well, the drugs thing is debatable, but the rest is nice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EllDoubleYew
Jun 28, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

To be fair, an international currency is actually an okay idea if it is implemented correctly. But Bitcoin is not that currency.