Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

which matters more, though: bits-per-pixel in the final video or the bitrate when talking about 20-year old upscaled vhs uploaded to youtube?

i could see that with native 1080p material, bits-per-pixel is the more important metric, so a lower resolution video could be better quality than a higher resolution video if the bitrate has not been scaled down to match.

but upscaled material does not have that much information in the first place, so maybe the higher bitrate helps preserve whatever detail the original video had.

Uploading to a 2K resolution is most important because it will get the most bitrate.

h.264 is smart enough to knock details down even if it's been upscaled. There's a reason why TASvideos get uploaded at 2K resolution and not 240p native.

Youtube will encode your video at 4:2:0 colorspace, when you're trying to represent a 320x240 RGB video signal, you'll need at least 4x the resolution to maintain an RGB signal once downsampled to it's original resolution.

320x240 4:2:0 looks lovely.

Also having 5mbps instead of .5 helps alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Install Gentoo posted:

i really wish SED had made it to market

quote:

A surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) is a display technology which has been developing various flat panel displays by a number of companies as electronic visual displays. SEDs use nanoscopic-scale electron emitters to energize colored phosphors and produce an image. In a general sense, a SED consists of a matrix of tiny cathode ray tubes, each "tube" forming a single sub-pixel on the screen, grouped in threes to form red-green-blue (RGB) pixels.

it sounds cool an d monstrously complicated all at the same time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AclwH64eAkU

plasma ain't poo poo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

h.264 is smart enough to knock details down even if it's been upscaled. There's a reason why TASvideos get uploaded at 2K resolution and not 240p native.

tool assisted speedruns of old video games, recorded and lovingly scaled to 2k so others can watch said speedruns in near perfect fidelity on their computer monitors

this is it gentlemen...teh spergularity

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

would play bideo games on a jumbotron

even though you'd need repeaters out the rear end with massive lag to make a controller work

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
what the hell is a video codec

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's a secret spy radio that works by directly stimulating the bones in your ear

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the nes thread sent me here. what's up

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Werthog 95 posted:

the nes thread sent me here. what's up

did u know? ur video codec is most like a piece of poo poo!!!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuckkkk

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

spankmeister posted:

dunno if i posted it already but i once saw a shameful setup like this

hd cable box --> composite cable --> rf converter box --> 42" full hd lcd

ugh
one year we went to visit my uncle for christmas. he beamed as he showed us his new bose home theatre with 60" wega plugged into standard DVD player

I'm so glad I didn't say anything about the resolution, we'd probably still be there waiting for him to hook it up properly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

did u know? ur video codec is most like a piece of poo poo!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

one year we went to visit my uncle for christmas. he beamed as he showed us his new bose home theatre with 60" wega plugged into standard DVD player

I'm so glad I didn't say anything about the resolution, we'd probably still be there waiting for him to hook it up properly

but it's HD ready

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

I've got an eighteen minute window.

echinopsis posted:

but it's HD ready

just because your tv is HD ready doesn't mean the owner is. i know my parents sure as hell aint.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my dad has a dell optiplex plugged into his hdtv over vga

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

vga can actually do 1080p and it's rgb to boot

ain't nuthin wrong with analog son

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ofc odds are he's running it at 1024*768 or w/e

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well the screen's native resolution is 1366x768, eh

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

whoa sticky thread

I'd say we should sticky the NES thread too but it might be getting tapped out

yeah i sticked the nes thread already, i like ranting about video codecs and this is a good thread so it gets stickied now

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

well its the pc input isnt it, says so right on the tv

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

vga can actually do 1080p and it's rgb to boot

ain't nuthin wrong with analog son

:allears: what cant VGA do

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
make your video codec not be a piece of poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pagancow posted:

Here is a cool photoshop action for doing the film desaturation curve I talked about.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9h993k9mhph32k9

It will make your SLR images look more filmic. Then throw this image on top with an overlay function and boom.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7314861896_292120872b_o.png

am I the only one who thinks that if you want that Cool Authentic Film Look you should just shoot film

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my loins are fully girded to argue the merits of film v.s. digital. hit me with uor best shot

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

in 30 years people will be running video through blocking and banding filters to get that ~authentic low-bitrate look~

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

echinopsis posted:

:allears: what cant VGA do

be used for a resolution higher than 2048×1536px

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

my loins are fully girded to argue the merits of film v.s. digital. hit me with uor best shot

i like making my photos look old and filmy. its just an artistic choice, based on subjective feelings of old photos looking more like "back in the day" and i like it so i replicate it. a filter is just an additional way to add a feeling to a photo. "perfect" isnt always the feeling of choice

how do you feel about that

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use VGA on my xbox 360 because it's the only way to get authentic 4:3 resolutions

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

echinopsis posted:

i like making my photos look old and filmy. its just an artistic choice, based on subjective feelings of old photos looking more like "back in the day" and i like it so i replicate it. a filter is just an additional way to add a feeling to a photo. "perfect" isnt always the feeling of choice

I respect your choice of aesthetic, and your choice to use modern gear to achieve it without the inconveniences of film

and also point to my medium format camera that not only does that by itself, but has better dynamic range and gives me ~130 megapixel photos, and I paid $150 for it

it also is able to fit ten entire photos on a single roll of film

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 9, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all im hearing is that you like really high detailed high MP photos of your own semen soaking into your loose fitting socks. cool i guess if you're into that

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i feel like you are part of the problem

and we need a final solution to the instagram question

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

in 30 years people will be running video through blocking and banding filters to get that ~authentic low-bitrate look~

it's because humans are retarded idiot babys who can't take good quality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation#Soap_opera_effect

http://www.televisioninfo.com/News/Cleaning-up-the-Soap-Opera-Effect-Motion-Interpolation-and-why-480Hz-looks-terrible-on-your-new-TV.htm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

atomicthumbs posted:

What if you're not sure if your client will like the look? You won't be able to easily "un-do" the film look.

Also when you blow 3x your budget on the spot they will find someone else to do it. digitally and just use one of these film LUTs to make it happen.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jackdh4x0r posted:

i feel like you are part of the problem

and we need a final solution to the instagram question

jesus christ, did any of you even use the PS action? It creates a desaturation curve in the upper 40% of your image, not turns it all one color.

Also instagram isn't film look.

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

also realtalk:

does anyone know why the "back porch" comes first, and the "front porch" last? this bugs the poo poo out of me in a very :spergin: way.

there is probably something dumb and obvious that i am missing but i didn't see anything in dem wikipedias

edit: i guess when you are looking at it on a scope they are right next to each other and in order, welp, dumb question from an idiot, thanks i'll be here all night!!!

jackdh4x0r fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 9, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

a professional color grader will tell you that tastefully saturing certain color channels is what will give your image a premium look. Using a full 1D LUT on your image will certantly make it look shittier unless it's shot in some goofy log space on an arri alexa.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 9, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jackdh4x0r posted:

also realtalk:

does anyone know why the "back porch" comes first, and the "front porch" last? this bugs the poo poo out of me in a very :spergin: way.

there is probably something dumb and obvious that i am missing but i didn't see anything in dem wikipedias

If I had to take a guess it would be TV Levels (16-235 in digital space), but I don't deal with stuff at the signal level I just say "make those highlights more desaturated"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

jackdh4x0r posted:

also realtalk:

it's because ntsc is lol trash and it's easier for engineers to write it that way... back before color was A Thing it was:
front porch, sync pulse, back porch, luma

front porch is basically a reset area which normalizes everything and back porch was originally just an area to reset the black levels due to the sync burst before shoving luma out

then color came about and engineers go "by george! let's shove color burst in the back porch! then when the sync rolls over and the burst hits, we can use the color burst with a chroma signal to get color!"

and everyone went "holy poo poo! this works!"

so then everyone started re-writing the signal to show the back porch first because it made more sense in terms of how the picture was drawn

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
if you want to really sperg out about signals and the sort this guy has a ton of information about it
http://www.infocellar.com/television/

• Locked thread