Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

For someone who loudly decries the making of assumptions and generalizations, you sure make a ton of them.

Sorry we're all too well adjusted and used to Taiwanese life to get in on Cardiac Country with you man.

e: Like for real, you need to get some perspective. You're trying to fight a war against an imaginary enemy. Most Taiwanese hold no particular feelings about expats one way or the other. Most people don't give a poo poo. You're tilting at windmills. There are legitimate fights to be fought, and you're completely missing them. What about the racism endemic in the hiring of English teachers? What about the treatment of Filipino maids or SE Asian brides? What about the general pervasive racism against Aborigines? Seriously man, if you're white in Taiwan, you've got gently caress-all to complain about. You've already got it better than most ordinary Taiwanese. Oh bloo bloo bloo some people think you're an English teacher or like to gently caress a lot. Here, let me tune up my tiny orchestra.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You still really need to chill out, dude. Did you expect the British guy to get into a dissertation about the difference facets of American culture on a casual talk show whose primary goal is pretty much to provide mindless entertainment. Maybe given the fact that you like to write paragraph after paragraph and asking Tetsuo to explain where he "pulled that bit about human nature from" (lol), you honestly do expect that.

I also got a similar vibe that you're kinda making a blanket statement about Taiwanese while complaining about the same thing happening to you. Even if you use qualifiers like "most" or "the majority", isn't that the same thing? You said, "it's like the guy has been infected by the Taiwanese worldview, just replacing all foreigners with all Americans." So you're saying all Taiwanese have the same worldview and you also make it sound really negative ("infected") and close-minded. You should get out more or something, you'll meet Taiwanese people who have super broad world views.

And like the same thing doesn't happen everywhere? When I spend time in Montana, you're just about as likely to meet a person who puts all Asian people together into one group as you are to meet a Taiwanese person here that thinks all foreigners are identical. Hell, I'm from Hawaii which is as diverse as it can get for an American state, yet there's tons of this "subtle racism" or stereotyping or whatever you want to call it. I survived 21 years of it by just dealing with it and not fighting every small battle.

But I guess you think you're gonna change the world one Taiwanese girl you're trying to date at a time, so good luck with that. I guess I've just given up or something, apparently it's not possible to just not flip your poo poo over this stuff without "giving up on affecting any kind of change."

edit: This was in reply to pandemonium, just fyi. New page and all that.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 8, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

No poo poo, a Brit said he thinks Americans are noisy idiotic douchebags? You apparently might be surprised to learn that people around the world think Americans are like that. The same way people around the world think Irish people are drunks, Scots are tightwads, Australians are racists....

Think?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Guys it's summer which means that we can get awesome beers at 7-11. How about us alcoholics all talk about that instead. Personally, I find that Kronenburg 1664 is the best way to trick Taiwanese girls into sleeping with me.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hey, don't wanna dogpile, cause I see where you're coming from, but this is kinda the reason a lot of people think Americans are blindly patriotic, y'know. Can't really take a joke about their country.

I'm American :ssh:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Guys it's summer which means that we can get awesome beers at 7-11. How about us alcoholics all talk about that instead. Personally, I find that Kronenburg 1664 is the best way to trick Taiwanese girls into sleeping with me.

Is Kronenburg 1664 in the summer beers thing? The only ones I see are that multicoloured one, the one with the ship, Guinness, Bear and the red Spanish one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just picked a fancy sounding beer at random. I'm a total fraud who only drinks 7-11 brand beer.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Why can't we all just drink some San Miguel and get along? Sometimes I feel bad about not caring about these foreigner expectations. This is not one of these times.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Okay, I get it. You are somewhere in between my generation and my parents'. 40s-ish I'm guessing?

Okay, I get it. You don't make generalizations but anyone who disagrees with you must be in their 40's because people your age all usually think a certain way.

fake e: whoops there was another page!!!!! I like Sapporo or Kirin.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

Okay, I get it. You don't make generalizations but anyone who disagrees with you must be in their 40's because people your age all usually think a certain way.

Pretty much this; personal fable bs is cute. Seriously, just being decent and talking with Taiwanese people about it when it comes up is better than raging about it and being annoyed about having to talk about it.

I like Asahi, and FYI Sushi Express often has impressively cold ones on hand for 30 nt.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
That Kronenburg is actually pretty delicious. A tiny bit fruity but not overly disgusting like the gross mango Taiwanese beer.

I have an amazing shop up the road that sells a large number of beer so I don't even have to slum it at 7-11. Suckers

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

unadulterated drivel

OMG

*deletes a full on loving essay*

*Twice*

As a Brit, I thoroughly enjoy yanking the chains of the septics. It's just fun.
I have worked with, work with, and will always choose to work with yanks.

I like a whole swathe of US'ers - I really do - some of most decent, intelligent and thoughtful people I ever met.

However, you might be embarrassing them, the same way the Turkish guy is embarrassing you.
Keep schtum and post fukn cat pics for a while.

my2pymmv

E:
in case you skip my decidedly British criticisms ... have another nose at these, they are dead on

:wotwot:

TetsuoTW posted:

No poo poo, a Brit said he thinks Americans are noisy idiotic douchebags? You apparently might be surprised to learn that people around the world think Americans are like that. The same way people around the world think Irish people are drunks, Scots are tightwads, Australians are racists....

e2: Ahaha raging on people lumping together all Americans into a monoculture while doing exactly the same thing repeatedly to Taiwanese.

duckfarts posted:

Again, you need to relax or you'll just be super angry 'n poo poo when you get older.

url fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 8, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

Edit: Durr, spelling.

As a Brit allow me to say that you'll never be an "English" teacher.
(
A pound to a penny says you can't use S's or Z's or U's correctly!
Fuckn AP/Miriam Webster acolytes one and all!
)

Pandemonium posted:

Their are fourteen different recognized tribes of aborigines

:/

url fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 8, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

thegoat posted:

That Kronenburg is actually pretty delicious. A tiny bit fruity but not overly disgusting like the gross mango Taiwanese beer.

I have an amazing shop up the road that sells a large number of beer so I don't even have to slum it at 7-11. Suckers

Fruit beers eh? How about this?

Or something else?

We can do it aussie Christmas style, during summer!

caberham fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 8, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm tempted by the Great wall "dry".

Paulaner - it's nice to have as a variety, but I had a bunch of that in EU, and tbh.....
That sammich though - i'm hella intregued!

Well, I'm a Duvel man, and i'ts p. easy to get hold of here ime.

Since you normally hang in a diff SE thread - can we try for a full on SE Asia thread for Secret Santa this year?
(I know I was bad santa my first year here - and I accept full responsibilities and punishments as per proscribed)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That chickencheese is decidedly lacking in chicken. And cheese.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm disappointed with the selection this year. The only thing they have now that I really like is the Guinness and Boddingtons, and I've drank enough Guinness to last a lifetime, and the Boddingtons is cheaper at Welcome, I think. I was extra disappointed that they are not carrying the stout Bear Beer this year either, but just the regular lager.

I'm down for some 熱炒 and beer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just picked a fancy sounding beer at random. I'm a total fraud who only drinks 7-11 brand beer.

Do they still have "The Beer" because that was pretty awesome?

Great Wall is swill. Changyu makes a decent brandy though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Do they still have "The Beer" because that was pretty awesome?

And they've even introduced a premium label.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Magna Kaser posted:

That's not a generalization. If anything, it is an assumption. One that I made based on the guy talking about heart problems, smoking too much, and just being a wise gentleman. I would love TetsuoTW to address that assumption instead of you. 30s then?

To be clear: Things like the Taiwanese worldview that I used are in reference to their media and not to individual Taiwanese. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Or if you chose to ignore that point. People on the internet love to do that. I know generalizations are a very easy thing to fall in to doing, and I am not perfect about avoiding them. I just think with the amount of connectivity we currently enjoy we should be trying our best not to.

Apologies for the "their"--it slipped by.

And please stop treating this like it's a crusade of mine. I made some posts on the internet about it. It's not an overriding, consumptive obsession or anything.

Oh, those Okinawan beers are quite good. Orion, I believe? Smooth.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The local noodle shop serves Orion on tap. Not bad.

Also, you said you just wanted us to all join in on your rage. That's sort of the definition of a crusade. You also said that this was such a big deal that people coming to the island needed to be aware of it. That sort of implies that all Taiwanese people are reacting and digesting the story nearly identically, which is more or less a generalization of how people think here.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

Japanese place next to my apartment has Asahi on tap.
150 - 500ml, 4 for the price of 3 - which tbh - is pretty good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

e: Actually gently caress it, not propagating this any further.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 9, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

url posted:

Japanese place next to my apartment has Asahi on tap.
150 - 500ml, 4 for the price of 3 - which tbh - is pretty good.

Dang Taiwan is expensive. 711 sells 500ML cans of Asahi for 12rmb, which is like 60NTD according to this app on my computer.

e: im dumb thats a bar, of course it's pricer than 711

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But the biggest question is "Is it imported from Japan or brewed locally?"

Asahi is cheap in the mainland but it's more watery and not as good as the imports from Japan :negative:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, you said you just wanted us to all join in on your rage. That's sort of the definition of a crusade. You also said that this was such a big deal that people coming to the island needed to be aware of it. That sort of implies that all Taiwanese people are reacting and digesting the story nearly identically, which is more or less a generalization of how people think here.

Sarcasm and being tongue-in-cheek are all too easily lost in writing. Sorry about that. I was being a bit facetious there. Not 100%, though. Anyway, what's important is your continued insistence on why you think I think newcomers should be aware of stories like Mr. Turkey. I hope I only have to say this one more time: it's about the media and it's effect. It's a perfect example. It's not about how every, most, or even some Taiwanese are reacting. My point has always been about the media. I hope there's no more misunderstanding about that. I mean, did you catch where I mentioned the news reporting on the dude's dick?

TetsuoTW posted:

And yet here you are, back banging your head against the wall.

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. What exactly is the problem you're aiming to solve? I don't mean "some people say things I don't like", I mean what negative impacts are you trying to alleviate? How do you suggest we go about this? What do you want us to do that we're apparently not? What do you want this to achieve? What's the endgame here, what does the final picture of success look like?

Also 1) nice job dodging actual criticisms, and 2) welcome to life as a minority.

What criticisms? Most people here are offering platitudes and unnecessary advice. I'm getting a lot of "chillaxes", "get a hobby", and "give up". The problem is that the Taiwanese media throws us all into a big mono-culture out of ignorance, with almost every show or article comparing Taiwan "X" to foreign "X". For me, that's an archaic, misguided construction that was never true and is actually harmful. People's behavior in my hometown more accurately reflects the stereotypical pan-Asian external politeness and indirectness much more than the stereotypical pan-Western loud and direct stereotype. That "us vs. others" mentality made sense in the past, when all people knew about the "other" was propaganda and caricatures constructed by the "us". For just one example, it's why the Japanese were able do the lovely, lovely things they did in WWII. The fact that it still exists--indeed, thrives--in the year 2013 is pathetic. But I get it. I don't expect Taiwan to change overnight. We are a minuscule proportion of the population, so it makes sense that we are seen as a single unit. It's convenient. And I know it's gotten better and will continue to get better over time. I am not one of those guys--and I have met way too many--who expect their time and experiences here to reflect or at least approximate home. The guys who live here for years, learn no Chinese, and lament the fact that they are still considered foreigners. I will never be Taiwanese. That's fine.

The point: I get riled up when foreigners, who I guess I have high(er) expectations of because a lot of us have grown up in much more diverse environments than Taiwanese, don't use the opportunities given to them to deconstruct and de-legitimatize the stereotypes and caricatures present in Taiwan. I don't expect the dude to present a lecture on a Chinese talk show, but I do expect him to not make stupid, divisive comments about groups of people he likely knows nothing about. At the very least, he could have talked about his own goddamn country.

My endgame is for people to stop being hypocrites. I don't know any of you personally, so I'm not referring to you specifically, but there are simply too many foreigners I have run across that act like they are pariahs and are mistreated or misrepresented by Taiwanese while they are guilty of the same poo poo. The Brit just typifies this kind of foreigner. They basically have no grounds to complain about the media or their treatment here if their view of another group (e.g. Americans) is as oversimplified and untrue as the Taiwanese media's. And I don't mean people need to stop complaining and doing this kind of stuff in casual conversation over beers. I mean they need to stop structuring their worldviews like this and going on television promoting divisiveness. The guy at the very least could have said something like "The Americans I have met" instead of "Americans". For me, that's a huge difference.

Edit: Grammar this time. I really have to start writing in Word first.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Neat.

Let's talk about names for a second. Over two years and many classes I've probably had five or six students named "Kevin." All of them, and I mean every single one, were terrible students, so I'm thinking the name is cursed or something. Do any of you have a Kevin who isn't completely worthless?

Also, coolest student names: I had a kid named Action in one of my classes. Also a kid named "Best" who was, ironically, the worst student in the class.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Neat.

Let's talk about names for a second. Over two years and many classes I've probably had five or six students named "Kevin." All of them, and I mean every single one, were terrible students, so I'm thinking the name is cursed or something. Do any of you have a Kevin who isn't completely worthless?

Also, coolest student names: I had a kid named Action in one of my classes. Also a kid named "Best" who was, ironically, the worst student in the class.

I've got a student named Clever. Doesn't quite live up to it. Though there was a boy named Wisdom, and he was one of the best in his class. I had a Happy, and she was always quite happy.

I've never had a student named Kevin though.

Also, Pandemonium, people say you're on a crusade because look at your posts. You've written pages and pages of words in the past day or two. You really really really seem to have strong feelings about something or another.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Beer chat:

gently caress beer in Taiwan. It is all watered down crap. At best it's on par with PBR. I still drink it if I'm out with friends, but if I'm just hanging out at home then it's wine all the way. Just wish wine wasn't as marked up as it is here. Though I guess the cheap single malt scotch balances that out.

Moon Slayer posted:

Neat.

I did have a kid named Kevin in one of my classes, and he was such a little poo poo. Never studied and purposely busted everyone's balls every chance he got. You live not to far from me (Quinshuei, right?), I wonder if maybe they tried shipping him up to your school after his parents finally pulled him from the school I work at.

Let's see, random student names I've had over the years:

Two brothers named who are both super smart: "Esse" & "Real Stone"
Random boy: "Water"
Annoying little poo poo of a boy: "Indian"
Ok student (as in doesn't cause trouble in class), but never studies: "Quinton"
Girl student who is pretty cool: "Aunty"

uhh... I know there is more, but I'm blanking at the moment.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My Kevins are terrible at learning, but they're good kid at heart. What happens is that they get frustrated that they don't understand the material and so are more likely to act the clown in class to get positive attention from their friends.

I have a Handsome right now. I won't pass judgement since he's like 10 years old and he could always turn into a beautiful swan or something.

A girl in one of my classes was named Amigo. She understood that she could spell it "Amiga" to make it more feminine, but chose not to.

I had "Simeon", pronounced like "simian", and he definitely lived up to that name. Dumb as a brick.

Every Maggie I've had so far has been a brilliant elf. The current one comes from a rather tall family and if her twin brother is any indication, she's going to continue filling out into a door-frame shaped person. However, she's still only six so she gets to continuing qualifying as an elf. She's actually a really interesting case study. We've had her brother for something like three years, but she was in China with the parents during that time (grandma demanded they leave her with the son).

Pandemonium posted:

Media

But it's a terrible example because no one in this thread but you has been affected by it in even the slightest way. Yes, the media is dumb out here. Guess what, it's dumb everywhere. Until it gets as bad as say Korea where the media creates a narrative that forces the Korean government to demand a civilian murder trial for US soldiers who accidentally ran over a couple of girls who tried to cut through the barricades, then I'm not going to worry about it too much. I certainly don't feel like I need to warn any (white) foreigners about it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Great names throughout my work history(that I can recall):
  • Color (owns a pen/marker company)
  • Fatman (it's an awesome name for an awesome guy)
  • Wonder (surname is Wang)
  • Christ (was actually an unfortunate chopping of Christine to get it to fit in the phone extension list)
  • Even (matches Chinese name)
  • Percent (is a designer and can get away with it)

I have 2 Kevins for friends, and they're good guys. That said, there are a lot of Kevins.

Pandemonium posted:

I do expect him to not make stupid, divisive comments about groups of people he likely knows nothing about
Again, he doesn't have to do jack poo poo. Pick your battles wisely, because this is a pretty stupid one.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I met a girl called Kevin the other night. But she at least realized it was dumb and a joke name.

One of my favorite names is one of my classmates back in Hong Kong - called himself "Aero" because his Chinese name sounded like feiji and he thought it was dumb they had to give themselves English names so he decided to take the piss.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just remembered that I have an unfortunate number of "Eason"s. Originally I thought it was just a spelling mistake resulting from the inability to recognize the English "th" sound, but my new theory is that parents like it because it more or less sounds like the Taiwanese Chinese pronunciation of doctor.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've had a lot of weird student names over the years. I have a student right now whose name is Seven. I love it because I'm a huge Seinfeld dork.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just remembered that I have an unfortunate number of "Eason"s. Originally I thought it was just a spelling mistake resulting from the inability to recognize the English "th" sound, but my new theory is that parents like it because it more or less sounds like the Taiwanese Chinese pronunciation of doctor.

Isn't there some HK pop guy named Eason?

Also for my best names: I've had a kid named King sit next to a kid named Money. Money was money. King... not so much.

e: Yeah it's Eason Chan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eason_Chan though I don't know where his given name originates from. At least he didn't choose something like Microwave or Asphalt.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 9, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OK, so what you're saying is you don't actually have any idea beyond some feel-good handwaving then. If you want something done, have a plan and a goal, not just "people shouldn't be dicks." You can't accomplish poo poo if you don't know what you actually want to accomplish or how to accomplish it or how to tell when you've accomplished it. No metrics means no results.

Also:

quote:

I don't know any of you personally, so I'm not referring to you specifically, but there are simply too many foreigners I have run across that act like they are pariahs and are mistreated or misrepresented by Taiwanese while they are guilty of the same poo poo
Fuckin' lol

e:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, it's probably in part, at least, thanks to HK singer Eason Chan (who's actually pretty good).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

I did have a kid named Kevin in one of my classes, and he was such a little poo poo. Never studied and purposely busted everyone's balls every chance he got. You live not to far from me (Quinshuei, right?), I wonder if maybe they tried shipping him up to your school after his parents finally pulled him from the school I work at.

DaJia, actually, at least for another week or so. Then I'm moving to Taipei. I'm actually going up tomorrow to pay the deposit on my new apartment. It's half the size of my current one and the rent is twice as much. But I'll actually have stuff to do in my free time now!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I had a Superman once. Superman was a right dick though and nobody liked him. Thankfully his parents got frustrated he wasn't learning anything (because he would just writhe on the floor saying "pig" any time we weren't doing a game or some other activity) and pulled him out after only a few weeks. The second or third week he didn't show up one of my students asked me "Superman is GAME OVER?" and I nodded yes. He relayed this to the rest of the class and all those seven year olds started dancing :3

A coworker had a fat kid named Hunk. He was the coolest loving kid ever, too.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I had a boy named MimiIan (capital M, capital I) who I used to just call Mimi for short, until he eventually started calling himself Mimi no Ian (writing it on his tests and poo poo) and eventually he just told our CT that he wanted to be called Mimi. We had to go and whiteout all the paperwork and his books and everything.

Worth it. Great kid. Not a genius, but sweet as gently caress. Been calling him Meems lately and I think he's probably going to want to change it to that after too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I had a Superman once. Superman was a right dick though and nobody liked him.
So completely appropriate then?

quote:

"Superman is GAME OVER?"
This rules, btw.