Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just finished a culture victory. Poland owns, diplomacy owns, new culture game mostly owns minus the micro management of great works.

Trade routes suck. I may be the only person who thinks this but gently caress it. I don't like fielding a bunch of units just to keep barbs off my poo poo. I also don't much appreciate the extra layer of management. I guess I am just lazy. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

fspades posted:

So here's something weird: When I fire up the game, it loads as G&K. However BNW shows up in the in-game DLC menu but it is disabled. When I enable it, it reverts back to disabled after I quit the DLC menu.

Is there a way to manually enable DLC's from the game files?

Restart steam. If that doesn't work, delete clientregistry.blob

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

fspades posted:

So I tried the VPN trick. The game downloaded just fine, BNW is showing up on DLC list, it did the first time setup but when I enter the game it's still G&K. :(

Offline mode didn't work either.

Yeah I have the same problem. Deleting clientregistry.blob didn't help either. Suppose it serves me right :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh man, trade routes are awesome for tech. You don't even have to actually have fallen behind the other guys to get the free beakers, you just have to have different techs and you'll start generating free beakers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gah. I had bought the game when I was still in the Peace Corps so it is the Indonesia release date (aka the 12th). Oh well.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone from the UK know if you can preload the expansion before the release date if you buy it now?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RagnarokAngel posted:

Restart steam. If that doesn't work, delete clientregistry.blob

Nope, did not worked. I guess I have to wait for 12th and see if it works then.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Its kind of neat that the AI has hundreds of gold but now that they hosed with the return on river tiles its just phantom space gold (since they're running -20 a turn without ever losing gold) or something so now they have no luxuries to trade and no GPT to trade.

Failboattootoot posted:

Trade routes suck. I may be the only person who thinks this but gently caress it. I don't like fielding a bunch of units just to keep barbs off my poo poo. I also don't much appreciate the extra layer of management. I guess I am just lazy. :shrug:

Barbarians are also a lot more aggressive and spawn horsemen and bullshit low-tier gatling guns so they gently caress up your poo poo even more. Also, they attack caravans over military units so unless you have a corridor of units guarding a trade route there's still a good chance they'll kill it anyways.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

fspades posted:

So I tried the VPN trick. The game downloaded just fine, BNW is showing up on DLC list, it did the first time setup but when I enter the game it's still G&K. :(

Offline mode didn't work either.
Hmm strange. Guess I got lucky, it's working for me. Haven't tried what happens when I turn off the VPN and I don't think I'll try that anytime soon!

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just finished a culture win with shoshone. Early game is much harder now with limited AI gold-trading. I got lucky and discovered El Dorado for 500 gold, otherwise I wouldn't have had 4 cities till turn 70 or so. over all the new culture is really fun, as well as the diplomacy. Trade routes are kinda meh.

Denzer
May 15, 2009
Steam Error Code (53) "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request" every time I try to play Civ 5.

I figured this was because of launch, but I don't see people complaining about this in the thread? Is this just a bug?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

limeincoke posted:

Just finished a culture win with shoshone. Early game is much harder now with limited AI gold-trading. I got lucky and discovered El Dorado for 500 gold, otherwise I wouldn't have had 4 cities till turn 70 or so. over all the new culture is really fun, as well as the diplomacy. Trade routes are kinda meh.

I assume you did liberty to get four cities by turn 70? Tradition seems reserved for like, OCC now.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Well I got a response from their support about me not receiving a key:

quote:

Hi,

Because your IP address is Australia, you have received an international key, which won't be released until July 12th

So I requested a refund (I had a couple of days off and really wanted to play it before the 12th) and they said this:

quote:

Hi,

The international release date isn't until the 12th. I am processing your refund, but this is a publisher issue, not a GMG issue (at least not *this* time.) The Australian Steam store version of it won't be playable until the 12th either, simply due to regional restrictions by the publisher.

Eh. So I'll just buy it on Amazon, pay a few extra dollars and use my VPN service to activate it.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Verviticus posted:

I assume you did liberty to get four cities by turn 70? Tradition seems reserved for like, OCC now.

Na I did tradition. Old habits and all. I managed 4 cities by turn 58 or so, but that was entirely because I discovered El Dorado and got 500 gold on turn 16.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wow, is CF accurate and Pathfinders upgrade into comp bows? Good lord. Do they keep the bonus-choosing properties on top of the terrain ignoring property?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gato posted:

Yeah I have the same problem. Deleting clientregistry.blob didn't help either. Suppose it serves me right :v:

Well, I found a solution! I guess...

The problem seems to be a missing dll called CvGameCore_Expansion2 in assets\dlc\expansion2 folder. If you can download that dll BNW loads up fine. No idea if it's going to create issues in the game though.

edit: I would have uploaded myself but I feel like we are entering :filez: territory here :ohdear:

fspades fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 9, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Wow, is CF accurate and Pathfinders upgrade into comp bows? Good lord. Do they keep the bonus-choosing properties on top of the terrain ignoring property?

They hut-upgrade into CB and retain everything. They can not be upgraded normally.

They retain their bonuses though. If you can keep one alive until later you can probably claim a bunch of huts as a gatling gun murdering the native barbarians on those lovely little islands that always have huts on them. That might be a few great scientists worth of techs right there.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah they do, although I couldn't find a good time to upgrade. Between tech, population, and spending 1 hut on culture, there's not really a good chance to spend on an upgrade, especially since you'll be taking another tech on your 4th hut, and then gold most likely on your 5th to make up for limited luxury trading.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Verviticus posted:

They hut-upgrade into CB. They can not be upgraded normally.

That's mildly less insane. Still pretty insane, though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

edit: misread

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I still wish scouts upgraded into something. Maybe even just getting a strength increase each era or something. Seems dumb to still have stone-age wanderers in 1980.

Maybe they could gain XP for each tile they uncover as well.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
On further consideration from my Shoshone victory, I think from now on I'm just going to spam pathfinders at the beginning, ignoring workers since you can't sell lux's anyways, and hopefully find 7 + ruins, upgrading 2 of those to comp bowmen and waging an early war.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Gort posted:

I still wish scouts upgraded into something. Maybe even just getting a strength increase each era or something. Seems dumb to still have stone-age wanderers in 1980.

Yeah, some promotions could be really good for later ranged units (gatling guns with faster healing + 50% defence)

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gort posted:

I think archeologists would have been a perfect choice for scouts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fspades posted:

I think archeologists would have been a perfect choice for scouts.

That makes an enormous amount of sense and should be an easy mod.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Well, it seems clear that my standard openings are shot and that I'm going to have to relearn my early game strategies. Cash is weirdly valuable yet unimportant because you can't get enough to afford anything in the beginning, and the AI loving loves religion now - I dropped myself down to a lower difficulty and I've still never seen them go so fast. Culture feels a little bit easier to get, probably because of the new Great Works stuff.

Early caravans seem kinda meh - the gold they generate isn't particularly good considering how easy it is for them to die. Haven't messed with food or hammer caravans yet to see how that turns out. Could be a nice way to get those fresh border cities up and running without relying on rush-buying.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Do keys for Civ 5 BNW bought in North America require a American IP address to activate? I know they require a North America IP to play right now, just wanting to know if they are also restricting activations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Trip report: A.i will not only hatetrain warmongers, but will declare war on them proactively. I got 3 wardecs at a time and from far away, and since there were more than 2 i don't think it involved bribing. Hopefully this will lessen runaways.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 9, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

jtm33 posted:

Well I got a response from their support about me not receiving a key:

So I requested a refund (I had a couple of days off and really wanted to play it before the 12th) and they said this:

Eh. So I'll just buy it on Amazon, pay a few extra dollars and use my VPN service to activate it.

What were you expecting? Them to give the int'l keys out on the US date?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Brave New World is out now in all regions.

All regions my arse.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

^^ Look it's 3 days and im suffering alongside you non-Americans because I made poor decisions to preorder while overseas so I dont wanna hear it :smith:

jtm33 posted:

Do keys for Civ 5 BNW bought in North America require a American IP address to activate? I know they require a North America IP to play right now, just wanting to know if they are also restricting activations.
They aren't as far as I know, it just won't work till your country's release date.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

What were you expecting? Them to give the int'l keys out on the US date?

All regions my arse.

I didn't know there were going to be different release dates split up by regions. If I knew that I wouldn't have pre-ordered the version that gets it late.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

isndl posted:

Well, it seems clear that my standard openings are shot and that I'm going to have to relearn my early game strategies. Cash is weirdly valuable yet unimportant because you can't get enough to afford anything in the beginning, and the AI loving loves religion now - I dropped myself down to a lower difficulty and I've still never seen them go so fast. Culture feels a little bit easier to get, probably because of the new Great Works stuff.

Early caravans seem kinda meh - the gold they generate isn't particularly good considering how easy it is for them to die. Haven't messed with food or hammer caravans yet to see how that turns out. Could be a nice way to get those fresh border cities up and running without relying on rush-buying.

I keep hearing "oh the caravans suck because they die too easily" when that isn't my experience. I keep getting rather crowded areas (I think I have city states set up above average for the world size) which are relatively safe even with raging barbarians on after everyone expands just a bit. When there's a bunch of cities effectively next door to each other it makes it a lot safer for caravans, which makes them very good money makers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

To be fair they seem like they wanted to emulate the idea that in real life travel routes were dangerous early on but as time went on and more of the world was explored they became safer. So similarly in Civ 5 once you have more of the map explored, less barbarian spawn, trade is more reliable.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I can confirm that an American key will activate on a non-American IP, and that using an American IP will start the game download. Hopefully I will be able to play in 30 mins!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alkydere posted:

I keep hearing "oh the caravans suck because they die too easily" when that isn't my experience. I keep getting rather crowded areas (I think I have city states set up above average for the world size) which are relatively safe even with raging barbarians on after everyone expands just a bit. When there's a bunch of cities effectively next door to each other it makes it a lot safer for caravans, which makes them very good money makers.

I was playing as Venice this morning and, with the help of a couple Military CS gifts, was able to police my caravan routes no problem. Why would you send a caravan unguarded if you wouldn't send a worker or settler unguarded? Just post them on Sentry mode on a hill, and you've probably got at least half the route covered.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

My biggest (yet minor) gripe about the trade caravans is that they have no cultural flavor right now in the early game. Everyone just has the same set of camels with minor highlights for civ colors.

You don't see the European civs using carts and horses/oxen. You don't see the Native American tribes using dogs dragging sleds. You don't see the inca leading a train of llamas, so on and so forth.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What does France's new improvement do? I've looked around but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krazyface posted:

What does France's new improvement do? I've looked around but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

You build it adjacent to a luxury, but not adjacent to another Chateau. So if you alternated tiles you could have 3 Chateaus around one luxury. It provides 2 culture and 1 gold as well as the same defensive bonus as a fort. It provides and additional 1 culture and 2 gold (making it 3 each) when flight is researched.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If your first game of ABNW is not as Shaka, I don't think we can be friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

wukkar posted:

If your first game of ABNW is not as Shaka, I don't think we can be friends.

I'm torn between Zulu and Shoshone. :ohdear: I may have to flip a coin.

• Locked thread