Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
:siren:Buy the Complete Edition:siren:
Please join Something Awful Civilizations. We need multiplayer buddies

Civilization V: Brave New World Release Thread
What’s Civilization V?
Civilization V is the newest entry in the over two decade long Civilization series, where you control a real-world civilization from 4000 B.C. discovering how to make pots, to the near-future of 2050 A.D. fighting with nukes and artillery. While playing the game you’re trying to reach one of the game’s preset victory conditions before your opponents, in order to make “A civilization to stand the test of time.”
What’s new in Civilization V from Civ 4?
Civilization V is host to a lot of new features that make it a rather different game from Civ 4.
  • Hexes – The biggest change is that Civ 5 threw out the square-based tile system of earlier Civilization games and uses hexes. This allows for more organic looking continents and avoids the often ugly looking “Fat cross” and 1-2-1 movement of units on square tiles.
  • No Unit Stacking – Civilization V lets you only stack one unit per tile. Well, technically two, you can put one civilian (Settler, Worker, etc.) per tile and one military unit to protect it. This removes the “Stack of doom” gameplay that dominated Civ 4.
  • Ranged Military Units – Some military units, like archers or artillery, are ranged. This means they can hit a target up to 2 spaces away (Assuming there’s nothing blocking their view like mountains), and will take no damage in return. This is great for softening up enemy units and cities before going in for the kill with your melee units.
  • Embarkment – Once you research the right tech, your units can now go on water without needing dedicated transport ships. However they’re unable to fight back when doing this, so you must keep dedicated naval units to protect it. In the expansion, embarked units now offer some resistance however it still isn't as good as a dedicated ship.
  • No Tech Trading – Presumably because it was too easy to exploit the dumb AI, you can no longer directly trade techs, but secure “Research agreements”, which involve dumping some money down up front, in order to receive a huge chunk of bonus research down the line.
  • Fully Voice Acted Leader Scenes – Civ 5 uses absolutely gorgeous full screen graphics in leader scenes where the leader will speak to you in their native tongue. Even civilizations who spoke languages that are long dead.
  • Happiness is now nation-wide – Instead of individual city happiness you now have a set number which is based on how many cities you have, how big their population is, and various modifiers from “luxury” resources like wine or incense.
  • Culture is now different – While culture does control your borders, borders will increase one tile at a time instead of extending out all at the same time in the “Fat cross” formation. The real use of culture now is to buy into “social policies”. MMORPG like “skill trees” that grant passive benefits to your empire. The more cities you have the more it costs to buy a new social policy, so smaller empires will grab more than big ones.
  • City-States – City States are single city “minor” civilizations who aren’t trying to win the game. You can pay them cash or fulfill “quests” to get their favor, and they will reward you with resources, units, culture and other things.
  • Resources are limited – Instead of granting you unlimited iron, horses etc. resources now give you a set amount. Since units that use resources are often more powerful than units that don’t in the same era, you must strategically make use of what’s given to you.
  • Roads and Railroads now cost upkeep – You must pay upkeep on each tile roads occupy, requiring you to make the most of a few roads rather than covering every tile in them.
  • Changes in victories – There are 4 victory types, some work slightly different from their Civ 4 versions.
    Cultural – Won now by completing 5 Social Policy tracks, and then building the “Utopia Project”. If you have Brave New World it's quite a bit more complex. You generate “Tourism” and you win if your tourism outpaces every other nation's culture. Think of tourism as your offense and culture as your defense.
    Diplomacy – Won by building the United Nations and having city states and civs vote for you in an election. Major civs may no longer vote for themselves.
    Domination – Now to win you must capture all opponents capitals, not all their cities. While a civilization isn’t knocked out of the game by losing their capital, they cannot win until they get it back.
    Science – Pretty much the same as it was before. Fill in the tech tree, build spaceship parts, go to Alpha Centauri.

Who can I play as?
In the base game you have access to the following 18 (technically 19, see dlc section below) civilization and leaders:

I heard this game sucks, what's the deal?
It did. It really did on launch. It had bad AI, it was poorly optimized and lacked a lot of features. Time has changed things though. The AI still isn't great but it's gotten better. Once you understand what it does and doesn't like it becomes easier to keep it placated. The expansion packs add a lot of features back people missed, like Religion and Spies, sometimes doing it better than Civ 4 did. As long as you get the Complete Edition it's a game I can highly recommend.

I've played the tutorial and while I understand how to play, I don't understand how to win. Are there any guides or tutorials?
I want to collect a couple of good Tutorials here for people. In general the recommended advice is to look up youtube videos of people playing on Deity. Whatever works on Deity will work even better on lower difficulties.

Other good tips:
  • Expand Early - It can be hard to do so early on because you have so few hammers but more cities mean you're putting out more units at a time. While you shouldn't go overboard, settling early means cities have more time to grow and you get better picks of the land.
  • The AI will pay you for stuff - It's tempting to just trade resources for resources but that's not always necessary. As of Brave New World you must make Declaration of Friendships to trade cash, but Gold Per Turn is still ok, and if you make an early friend you can sell them a resource. They also will pay for things like open borders or embassies.
  • Settling on top of a luxury resource grants that resource - Assuming you have the tech, settling on top of some silver will get you access to that silver. This is good because it saves you several turns trying to harvest it.
  • Keep a standing army - It's easy to forget this. Even if you're going for a peaceful game, keep a standing army. The AI can smell weakness. On the defensive you have the advantage so you can win with a much smaller army than they would need to take your city. Keep your army stationed to ward off any wanna be conquerors.
  • Stay focused yet flexible - Finally, keep in mind your victory early on. What do you need to do to win? Civilization is a balancing act, in a science victory you need a lot of science sure, and you should keep that as your priority, but you also need to balance that with a solid army and a good economy. Try not to spread yourself too thin by building every building in every city. Focus on what you absolutely need to have right now. And remember to adapt, if wars on the horizon, there's no shame in slowing your research a bit in order to crank out a small militia.

The AI hates me and I don't understand why. What did I do wrong?
Users Eric the Mauve and Chronojam made some very lovely effort posts in the old thread detailing all the modifiers that affects AI diplomacy. You can find them here and here. However as of Brave New World these values have changed so it may be some time before we have a more updated version.

The most common mistake people make is wiping out a civ. If you commit genocide the world community (generally) frowns on that, so don't do it. Leave them one shithole city in the rear end end of nowhere if you have to, they're generally not a threat anymore if you take their capital, but don't wipe them out. Other stuff, like border disputes, are often inevitable and that's why you must always prepare for war.

My ranged unit can't hit a target 2 hexes away, the heck?

Thanks Captain Fargle

I heard this game has a ton of DLC. Is it worth it?
At this point, buy the Complete Edition. The Complete Edition includes all DLC and expansion packs. For the sake of completeness I'm going to list all the side DLC, and Gods and Kings and Brave New World are near the bottom of the post.
It's worth noting almost all of this DLC came out before Gods and Kings so the included scenarios use Vanilla rules, the exception is Quest for the New World. This can be kind of off putting to some.

BabylonNebuchadnezzar II
Originally free with the Digital Deluxe edition of the game Nebuchadnezzar II is a technology driven Leader who can outpace nearly every other civ. He used to be a lot more powerful to a hilariously broken degree but has been toned down. Still quite powerful.

Mongolia
Free
Mongolia Genghis Khan
This civilization was given out for free to everyone who purchased the game. It will already be added to your account when you buy the game, no need to actually buy it. Mongolia focuses on horse based armies and the included scenario lets you play the Mongolian conquest of China, though on higher difficulties the scenario ranges from extremely difficult to impossible due to changes in horse units being able to attack cities.

SpainIsabella
And
IncaPachacuti
Two civilizations for the price of…well, one and a half. Despite the increased price tag this is a good pack. The Inca civilization is really great for hilly regions, with their hill farm. Spain’s ability is either really great or really crappy. It depends on whether you manage to find natural wonders first or not. The conquistador is a knight that can found cities when on another continent. Spiffy!
The included Scenario is my personal favorite. It lets you play the European conquest of America from 1492 to 1592. What makes the scenario so interesting is you can play as the Europeans (Spain, England or France) or the Native Americans (Iroquois, Aztecs or Inca). The European map is static and always resembles its historical appearance, but the New World is randomized every time. Europeans have a tech advantage but Native Americans have more cities to begin with. It’s well thought out and different every time.

PolynesiaKamehameha
Kamehameha is an absolute beast on water based maps. His units can embark before researching the necessary tech, his Moai unique building improves the defense of your units on the shore, and he generates a ton of culture. Playing as Polynesia on an archipelago map is almost cheating.
The included scenario has you playing one of 4 Polynesian civilizations, trying to become the dominant cultural powerhouse by unlocking all the social policies first, with no penalty for having many cities like the base game. It also included a modified tech tree. One of my personal favorites.

DenmarkHarald Bluetooth
Vikings! :black101: Harald has the ability to move onto land from water without using a movement space, making him an excellent domination civ on water based maps.
The included scenario is kinda lackluster. About the 1066 English war with Norway you basically are just fighting to conquer England before the AI and secure the throne.

This is surprisingly really good. It includes 5 new preset maps, but we don’t care about those. The real meat of this DLC is the new generators. Specifically Continents Plus and Pangaea Plus. These are improved algorithms to Vanilla’s continents and Pangaea maps that will add little islands off the coast. Generally recommended.

KoreaSejong
King Sejong the Great is a technology power house, though his method is different from Nebuchadnezzar II. He gets more research from science buildings and great person improvements. Overall not quite as powerful as Babylon but I still really like the civ. Their military units are really fun too.
The scenario is the Japanese invasion of Korea. You can play as either China, Korea, Japan or Manchu. China and Korea are locked in a permanent alliance, but Japan has the military advantage to start. The game ends either when China/Korea push Japan off the mainland, or whoever has the highest score when time runs out.

This pack contains 3 new wonders you can build, as the name implies, in the ancient world: The Temple of Artemis, The Statue of Zeus, and The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. Pretty well balanced and not a bad purchase.
The included scenario lets you try and be one of 4 ancient civilizations to own the most of the 9 in-game wonders of the ancient world, either by building them first or conquering other cities who built them. The research speed is very heavily slowed down to keep things firmly locked in the ancient era, medieval at best. I really enjoy this scenario because there’s many ways to approach it so it doesn’t get stale.

MODS

Diplomacy Values: shows the number of jerkpoints for each modifier

Never Become a Warmongerer: disables the warmonger diplohit for all players

Civ IV Diplomatic Features: This adds diplomacy options from Civ 4 into the game, such as tech trading and vassalage (Warning, may crash the game)

Thanks KKKlean Energy!

My mods are gone!

Yeah that happens. Solution thanks to Guigui:

Guigui posted:

First: all your mods are stored in c:/users/(username)/documents/my games/sid meier's civilization 5/MODS directory. (Directory may vary). When you get all the mods you like, MAKE A BACKUP OF THAT DIRECTORY. Steam has a bad habit of randomly erasing everything in that directory when you go play offline.

Next, find the file "Civ5ModsDatabase.DB" either through the search function, or at C:/users/(username)/documents/my games/sid meier's civilization 5/cache. Delete it. This file is partly to blame; it links with the steam workshop to tell your computer what mods you have / don't have. Problem is, when the file gets corrupted, it tells your computer you don't have any mods, and causes your mods to be deleted.

The simple soultion for you, would be to delete Civ5ModsDatabase.DB, then log back onto the Steam workshop and re-download all your mods that way (since your mods folder should now be empty).

A more permanent solution (what I do) - is either A: Play offline, so Civ5 never has to link up with the workshop. Or B: I have a backup of all my mods in a seperate directory, and I wrote a small batch file that deletes Civ5ModsDatabase.db when I start my Civ5 shortcut. This way, my computer scans what is in my "Mods" folder, and remakes Civ5ModsDatabase.db from scratch.

If, for some reason, my mods directory gets deleted, I just copy/paste from my backup mods folder, delete civ5modsdatabase.db, and restart.

Expansion Content

Gods and Kings is Civilization V’s first expansion and mostly adds in features that people missed from Civilization 4, and some other stuff. Some choice new things:
  • Religion and Espionage are back – Yep, two features sorely lacking are back completely redesigned.
    Religions are no longer just a diplomacy modifier. Now they are designed from the ground up with many passive traits to boost your civilization, earned with the new “Faith” points system.
    Spies are completely different from Civ 4. They are not units, but a menu where you control up to 3 spies and send them on missions to sabotage other civs or city-states.
  • 9 New Civilizations
    Austria - Maria Theresa
    ByzantiumTheodora
    CarthageDido
    CelticBoudica
    Ethiopia - Haile Selassie
    HunsAtilla
    MayansPacal
    NetherlandsWilliam I
    Sweden - Gustavus Adolphus
  • 27 New units
  • 9 new wonders
    Alhambra
    CN Tower
    The Great Firewall
    Great Mosque of Djenne
    Hidden City of Petra
    Hubble Space Telescope
    Leaning Tower of Pisa
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Terracotta Army
    Plus an additional national wonder, The National Intelligence Agency
  • New City States To fit with the new religion mechanic, new “religious” city states are being added that give bonus faith for being allied, and Merchant city states, which give special luxury wonders (like jewelry) you cannot get otherwise, making them very valuable.
  • Revised tech tree General housekeeping is being done to reorder the tech tree, some old units require different techs than before, new units are slotted in and certain eras that previously went by quickly now go on for longer.
  • Better AI Turns out this one was (mostly) true. While still not perfect, the AI will flake on you from time to time, it seems to be a lot better both at not holding grudges for quite so long and knowing how to use ranged units better, and how to properly retreat.
Gods and Kings is out now in all regions.

Brave New World is the second expansion to Civilization V. This one focuses more on world diplomacy. Features include:
  • Updated Culture System - The culture system is being completely reworked. With strong culture you can influence other nations, even changing their ideologies from hardcore capitalism to glorious egalitarian communism or nationalistic pride. The cultural victory is also being scrapped, no longer can you just sit in your own corner and build cultural wonders till you are the winner. You have to get out there and make your civilizations culture be known.
  • Updated Diplomacy: World Congress - An attempt at fixing the lacking diplomacy of Civilization V, the world congress is a meeting of the nations to decide on matters that affect the entire world (And allow you to screw over nations you don't like). Feel a nation is getting too big? Vote on a trade sanction against them, or convince people the next World Games should be in your country.
  • International Trade Routes – You will no longer get gold from river tiles. Instead you can send caravans out to other nations to share gold and resources, and will also affect the spread of science and religion with neighboring nations. You can also disrupt the trade of civilizations you're at war with by attacking the caravans.
    Additionally domestic trade will be added, you can send caravans from your major cities to supply food or production to other cities, helping kickstart a small new colony or fuel production of a wonder in your capital.
  • 9 New Civilizations
    Assyria - Ashurbanipal
    Brazil - Pedro II
    Indonesia - Gajah Mada
    Morocco - Ahmad al-Mansur
    Poland - Casimir III
    Portugal - Maria I
    Shoshone - Pocatello
    Venice - Enrico Dandolo
    Zulu - Shaka
  • 8 New Wonders
    Borobudur
    Broadway
    The Globe Theater
    International Space Station
    The Parthenon
    Prora
    Red Fort of Delhi
    The Uffizi
  • 2 New Scenarios -
    War Between The States - Play as the union or the confederacy in the American Civil War.
    Scramble for Africa - The international powers are attempting to colonize Africa. The rest of the world will be static while Africa will be randomly generated each game, much like the Quest For The New World scenario in the Spain/Inca Pack.
Brave New World is out now in all regions.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Brave New World is out now in all regions.

Unless you don't live in North America, in which case it's not out yet at all :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's America's new UA.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like the new thread tag.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
the ability to establish internal trade routes to send food and production from one city to another might be greatest advance in all civilization history

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

YEEOW! I'm ready to party down! Alone! At 11 p.m.! Playing a strategy game...

To distract myself from my own crushing loneliness and self pity, I'm wondering what new civilization to play as first. I have a huge fascination with Sumer and Assyria but I love OCC so Venice is so appealing! Argh!!!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I like the new thread tag.

It seemed the right choice given the world congress.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I cannot wait to try out trade routes. It's just what i've always wanted :allears:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I like that GMG doesn't allow me to get my steam key yet...wait...................

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
So this happened when I tried playing.

:stare:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nazattack posted:

I cannot wait to try out trade routes. It's just what i've always wanted :allears:

I know. They even designed them exactly how I wished they would, plus some. Go bring me gold, camels.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I like that GMG doesn't allow me to get my steam key yet...wait...................

Same here, and someone in the old thread mentioned the same. Anyone who went through GMG that does have their key?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Finally, it is time. I'm going to enjoy all the new stuff in BNW, so as soon as my laptop finishes downloading it away I shall go.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
I've been searching for news about the Mac App Store version of Brave New World. So far, it hasn't updated, and BNW is not available, and there's no mention of dates anywhere online. Anyone know more?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ryen Deckard posted:

Yeah me too. Installing DirectX 9 seems to be about 95% of the steps though

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

stubblyhead posted:

Same here, and someone in the old thread mentioned the same. Anyone who went through GMG that does have their key?
I don't have it either, hopefully its more of a case of a slight delay instead of them not having enough keys.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just watching a stream, surprised to see that Iron is revealed with Bronze Working now. I didn't see any of that on the discussion sites. :aaa:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The people are the heroes now, behemoth pulls my horribly slow DSL through the mud.

TIME INITIATED 12:06 AM
TIME REMAINING 1 day

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
New title screen music is great.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Yeah me too. Installing DirectX 9 seems to be about 95% of the steps though
You'll have to restart Steam once or twice as well. There's still some files it's going to need to download.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

I don't have it either, hopefully its more of a case of a slight delay instead of them not having enough keys.

I'm slightly dismayed that there's an empty placeholder where the release date should be.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

stubblyhead posted:

I'm slightly dismayed that there's an empty placeholder where the release date should be.
Still says July 9 on the store page.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Blown away at how fast this is downloading. Was expecting hours of waiting but it looks like 5 minutes is all that was needed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

GMG isn't really obliged to get it at exactly midnight, assuming they might run out (or are even "Delayed") is a tad presumptuous.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
I'm having trouble enabling the content. I got the new intro but the menu itself is G&K. When I try enabling it from the DLC menu it disables itself again.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Saw this on the GMG forum:
You will receive your key on the day of release or a short time before which is usually from an hour or two to a day or so in many cases, as there is currently no pre load for this game this is probably why you have not yet received your key but do check your games tab and your email, if you have any concerns you can of course send in a Support Ticket here: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/23363853-How-to-submit-a-support-request

Now I know to never use GMG to preorder anything, really expected I would be getting my key on time. Not sure why I expected that as I never ordered from them like this before but eh. now I know

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

GMG are based in the UK, so wait. Its only 05:20 here, give them time to wake up :P

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Conro101 posted:

I'm having trouble enabling the content. I got the new intro but the menu itself is G&K. When I try enabling it from the DLC menu it disables itself again.

Restart steam.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Well, considering GMG is in Britain, I wouldn't expect keys until businesses open there GMT time (which should probably be in a couple hours).

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Now I know to never use GMG to preorder anything, really expected I would be getting my key on time. Not sure why I expected that as I never ordered from them like this before but eh. now I know

Just because you didn't get the key exactly when it hit on Steam? Patience, grasshopper - the keys will come.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

ukle posted:

GMG are based in the UK, so wait. Its only 05:20 here, give them time to wake up :P

No. People paid, assuming quite a few people, to preorder. We trusted we would have keys like everyone else. Wake up and give the keys than go back to sleep. Lazy UK people.....thinking our time zone over here means less than yours. IT DOESN'T!!!!

edit: I feel like I should point out that I am not that upset. Like really at all. I have to work soon, I was just hoping to start the download. Worse case I'll come home tomorrow, download and sleep.
Glad others get to start playing tonight and I hope its everything we all want

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

James The 1st posted:

Well, considering GMG is in Britain, I wouldn't expect keys until businesses open there GMT time (which should probably be in a couple hours).

If that's the case then maybe I'll get to play before it gets dark. :confuoot:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Here's something I've never seen before, my culture naturally grabbing a 4th circle luxury over 3rd ring food sources, weird.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Heck I preodered from amazon and they saying 12 am pacific time, just giving me another reason to hate the west coast.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Eh, saving $10 bucks is worth waiting until later today. Its nothing to get bent out of shape over really.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 9, 2013

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

James The 1st posted:

Well at least I'm a west coaster so it's only 9:30 here.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

poo poo, what does it mean when it stops updating at 1% and changes the status to "Suspended?"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Restart steam.

Had the same issue, this fixed it, put this in the OP(?)

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

SlightlyMadman posted:

poo poo, what does it mean when it stops updating at 1% and changes the status to "Suspended?"

Either your internet is having problems or your Steam is having problems. Both can probably be solved with a Steam restart, like most things in life.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Chard posted:

Had the same issue, this fixed it, put this in the OP(?)

That's a general issue with steam games. It's not really particular to Civ 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ryen Deckard posted:

Yeah holy poo poo. I was hoping to at least give it a spin before I intended to go to bed only to be kept up for hours longer than I planned, except now I will probably not have time to get enthralled.

• Locked thread