Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Alkydere posted:

My biggest (yet minor) gripe about the trade caravans is that they have no cultural flavor right now in the early game. Everyone just has the same set of camels with minor highlights for civ colors.

You don't see the European civs using carts and horses/oxen. You don't see the Native American tribes using dogs dragging sleds. You don't see the inca leading a train of llamas, so on and so forth.

Do you just never build anything except your unique unit(s)?

fspades posted:

Well, I found a solution! I guess...

The problem seems to be a missing dll called CvGameCore_Expansion2 in assets\dlc\expansion2 folder. If you can download that dll BNW loads up fine. No idea if it's going to create issues in the game though.

edit: I would have uploaded myself but I feel like we are entering :filez: territory here :ohdear:

I have the opposite problem. It's on the third download now (It just downloads and installs, and then downloads again if I restart Steam) and CvGameCore_Expansion2 is the only file that appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Have you guys tried Verifying Integrity of Local Game Cache?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:woop: Woke up to find my GMG code. Are the menu music lyrics saying something like "behold the new world"? "Terre novum eccem"?

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Is anyone playing the Mac App Store version yet? Looks like it's not yet available to me.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beamed posted:

Have you guys tried Verifying Integrity of Local Game Cache?

Yep, nothing. Apparently it's not an uncommon issue, there's people on the steam forums from all regions complaining about it.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Hrm. I think I'm approaching the new culture victory wrong, as I haven't been able to keep up with other civs even on King (I stepped down from Emperor because of the new expansion) and there have been runaways to the point I can't catch up. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I guess I'm going to have to rethink my strategy.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thehumandignity posted:

Do you just never build anything except your unique unit(s)?

I have the opposite problem. It's on the third download now (It just downloads and installs, and then downloads again if I restart Steam) and CvGameCore_Expansion2 is the only file that appears.

That's really weird. With the addition of dll it's working perfectly for me now.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
The game works! Just used an American key and VPN to activate and start the game, no problems. Playing in offline mode now.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

fspades posted:

That's really weird. With the addition of dll it's working perfectly for me now.

Yeah, it just downloads a 1 GB folder with nothing in it but a dll file. I don't understand it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I guess I might have to buy the Gold Upgrade on top of my newly-acquired Gods and Kings. :(

Stupid GMG.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, how many of you reached end game already? The biggest gripe my Civ IV-loving friend has (although be pretty much converted in G&K) is that the AI does not try to thwart your victory attempts when it seems that they don't have enough time to complete their own before you do. Basically he wants everyone to dogpile me just so he can take the lead. Doesn't matter, I can still take on everyone, it would be nice to have that so he could shut up about it.

Also, my issue: Does the AI even bother to bring siege units to sieges now?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ufarn posted:

So I guess I might have to buy the Gold Upgrade on top of my newly-acquired Gods and Kings. :(

Stupid GMG.

Wait, what? Why?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is anyone streaming or has anyone done any streaming of BNW yet?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ufarn posted:

Stupid GMG.

Probably not. Steam sale is coming soon and you can probably buy the DLC you want a la carte then. The Gold Edition upgrade is only reccomended if you don't have G&K because it is in fact cheaper than G&K most of the time. But if you have the expansion it's probably not worth it.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
Really pleased by the intricacy of the Tourism mechanic, trying to get all the right pieces to match up to your culture buildings is just the right amount of aggravating to make it feel good when you do.

Kind of wish that the Artifact distribution wasn't skewed so heavily towards Ancient, though, as it makes certain buildings (the loving louvre god drat it) extremely annoying.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Probably not. Steam sale is coming soon and you can probably buy the DLC you want a la carte then. The Gold Edition upgrade is only reccomended if you don't have G&K because it is in fact cheaper than G&K most of the time. But if you have the expansion it's probably not worth it.
The civs etc. aren't particularly interesting? I couldn't care less about scenarios.

I guess this just evens out the time I got Civ V for free by getting Bioshock Infinite from GMG.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

ufarn posted:

The civs etc. aren't particularly interesting? I couldn't care less about scenarios.

I guess this just evens out the time I got Civ V for free by getting Bioshock Infinite from GMG.

If you don't care about the scenarios, just wait for a sale and get all the civs for like $5 at the most.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The scenarios all come bundled with civs, they're not seperate purchases.

What I was gettiing at is if you wait for the steam sale you can probably get all the civs for cheaper than what buying the gold edition upgrade would cost you, like Beamed said.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I got a $30 credit toward any digital 2K Games game on Amazon back when I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite, but it's not being applied to Brave New World, and the lady in chat wasn't able to help me, and so she's forwarded the issue to the promotions department, and said it might take a couple of days for them to figure out the issue, and now I'm sad. :(

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DEO3 posted:

I got a $30 credit toward any digital 2K Games game on Amazon back when I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite, but it's not being applied to Brave New World, and the lady in chat wasn't able to help me, and so she's forwarded the issue to the promotions department, and said it might take a couple of days for them to figure out the issue, and now I'm sad. :(

Getting BNW for free is never a Bad Thing, and there should be enough livestreams/youtube LPs by people who love being first to tide you over. Buck up, chum. :)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Only played about 20 minutes of the Africa scenario this morning (and I'm already loving the trade ship feature)...it's going to be a lonnnnnng work day.

I'm also hopeful G&K and this get bundled or something for the summer sale. A friend of mine still hasn't picked it up so I'm gonna gift it to him if it does.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

It'd be a shame if Steam didn't offer a Civ 5 sale to coincide with the expansion's release. Then again, that fabled Summer Sale is on the horizon.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

isndl posted:

I tried watching and the stream flickers like mad, but even worse I don't know what your game plan is so it seems like all your unit movements and production is random and it's maddening. :suicide:

Tried watching it on my phone and yeah you're right, crazy flickering. I'll take it down and try and fix it.

My plan was France -> Order -> Culture victory via Dictatorship of the Proletariat/Cultural Revolution. I managed to pull it off, but not really how I expected.

Even though Napoleon gets huge tourism numbers from his new UA, and even though I focused on Tourism to the detriment of everything else, it was still 2020+ by the time I wiped out Morocco. It would have over a hundred more turns to wait him out, and I was dishing out over 400 Tourism a turn by the end of the game (all on standard).

I think it takes too long, and I can't imagine winning via tourism without City of Light. I did miss out on winning the International Games though. Turns out, it's almost mandatory for a Tourism win.

The ideology system is awesome and combined with the council the dawn of the modern era really fragments the game. Watching the capitalists revolt and destroy themselves before the Soviet Coalition stepped in to institute global communism may have frozen my face into :smuggo:

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 9, 2013

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Restart steam.

I have restarted Steam 10 times now, have even restarted my computer. Doesn't work.

I did download it behing a VPN, though, since I'm not in America. I didn't have an issue with XCOM, maybe now Steam got smart?

The game loads, there's the Brave New World intro, but Gods and Kings loads instead. I try to tick the Brave New World DLC but the game ignores me. Help?

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I played for just an hour or so last night and I wanted to share my observations.

I started as the Assyrians, who fit my playstyle perfectly in theory (set up a good base science, aggressively conquer in medieval era). All I have to say is that they might be the sleeper OP civ of the expansion. I didn't get a chance to use their UB's unique feature, but the Siege Tower makes me wonder why anyone would play as the Huns anymore. Seriously try it, it crushes ancient/classical era cities.

I also like the idea behind the changes to France, but at this point doesn't it seem like the leader should be Louis XIV? France was previously an expansion-focused civ with good Renaissance war capabilities, which fit Napoleon's leadership, but now that they're focusing on the culture the leader should be the Sun King.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Exactly how hard is it to make friends in BNW? I imagine a small gift to the AI would be enough to at least boost relations.

Quick edit: Oh yeah, but you can't give lump gold gifts until you're already friends so that's nixed.

Ugh, having to wait until the weekend to get my meatspace copy of the game is really starting to bum me out :sigh:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Exactly how hard is it to make friends in BNW? I imagine a small gift to the AI would be enough to at least boost relations.

Quick edit: Oh yeah, but you can't give lump gold gifts until you're already friends so that's nixed.

Ugh, having to wait until the weekend to get my meatspace copy of the game is really starting to bum me out :sigh:

I didn't play beyond 400 BC since I have work today (:smith:), but I was totally buddied up with the Incas and Siam as Venice, despite buying City-States they liked.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Andre Banzai posted:

I have restarted Steam 10 times now, have even restarted my computer. Doesn't work.

I did download it behing a VPN, though, since I'm not in America. I didn't have an issue with XCOM, maybe now Steam got smart?

The game loads, there's the Brave New World intro, but Gods and Kings loads instead. I try to tick the Brave New World DLC but the game ignores me. Help?
Delete everything in the Cache folder in the documents folder.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just had an odd AI thing occur. 5 civs all at once asked me to mutually accept embassies on the same turn. That has never happened to me before.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

jtm33 posted:

I just had an odd AI thing occur. 5 civs all at once asked me to mutually accept embassies on the same turn. That has never happened to me before.

That happened to me too while playing the Africa Scenario. I just chalked it up to the scenario just having some code that sped that kind of thing up or something. Weird.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Any manual for BNW?

No manual on BNW store page (web). And in the Civ5 page, the manual is about Civ5 and Gods and Kings.

(I'm at work, can't go in my steam client to search further. Can't play because of work... I would like to read the manual to satisfy my need.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh man thanks for the GMG tear posts. Really made my morning. Set the files to download before work this morning and will hopefully be able to get my Poland on when I get home.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize city flipping was back until I accidentally owned Shaka. I reached Influential culture with him, which put him at -52 happiness (lol) due to his being autocracy to my freedom, and his cities started revolting and joining my empire.

And ignore everything you heard about Petra being nerfed. It's stronger than ever and almost amounts to a win button with some civs.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 9, 2013

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm torn between Zulu and Shoshone. :ohdear: I may have to flip a coin.

The Shoshone are ridiculous. The special pathfinder ability doesn't require you to do more than alternate(ish) choices before you can pick again. Messing around with it I was able to alternate faith/culture/tech, which was quite lovely. My plans for the future are: get the 2 sentry promotions for pathfinders off of barbs, upgrade through a goody hut, and hopefully get multiple policies, a religion, and a nice early tech-tree out of them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game with it's new mechanics, new civs, smooth multiplayer, and a rage inducing map generator that makes friends of mine really mad and yell alot about a strategy game were totally worth me making a poor choice of staying up rather late to try this game out. I can't wait to get back to this again tonight.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

James The 1st posted:

Delete everything in the Cache folder in the documents folder.

Holy crap, it still doesn't work. It did install a bunch of stuff though. I launched the game and bam, Gods and Kings. I try to tick the DLC and nothing happens.

Steam!!!

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
So, first playthrough in about 8 months. I went with the Shoshone, is there a set of optimal choices for things to get from ruins in order of precedence?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What settings are you playing on (world size,AI civs, city states, game speed, LAN or Internet, number of players) to get smooth multiplayer?

I had big problems with 5 humans and 5 AIs just the other day. Tons of reloads and players kept dropping and eventually couldn't rejoin.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Which map templates make interesting maps? I used Continents Plus for a while; I like having more than one continent, but it seemed to put out an awful lot of tiny island strings with city-states on them. I also heard some of the map templates were adjusted for BNW though I haven't exactly done any tests yet (I am only just getting ready to play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

starfish prime posted:

I also like the idea behind the changes to France, but at this point doesn't it seem like the leader should be Louis XIV? France was previously an expansion-focused civ with good Renaissance war capabilities, which fit Napoleon's leadership, but now that they're focusing on the culture the leader should be the Sun King.
You would be surprised by the amount of stuff pillaged by Napoleon in Italy and Egypt that ended up in a museum (either British or French) or as a monument. King Francis I would arguably be a better "culture" leader than Louis the XIV.

• Locked thread