Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone who is a fan of Batman TAS should watch Batman Beyond. It came out when I was pretty young but even then I was skeptical of how quality a cyberpunk Batman could be. Turns out, it's kickin' rad.

Any after that make sure to watch Tron: Uprising for some more amazing cyberpunk action goodness. It is a incredible shame that it only got 1 season but the fight scenes and general tone of the story is really good AND does amazing job of fleshing out the world of Tron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I don't want to take anything away from Netflix nor do I know the correct place to post this but most of the Viacom poo poo got added to Amazon Instant Prime and even more. I'm talking all Rugrats, Hey Arnold, everything Nick that was on Netflix but now they also have crazy stuff like Are You Afraid of the Dark, Rocket Power, Doug, Kenan and Kel, All That, Hey Dude, and the rest of them. Even obscure ones like Shelby Woo. They also have Comedy Central stuff (minus South Park, of course).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did anyone mention Contiuum? Season 2 starts Friday, so catch up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

veedubfreak posted:

That's fast, it only just aired this spring in Canada and just started in the US.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Does this get any better after the first couple episodes? The main character in particular was just totally unlikable but I guess if Smoking Man gets a lot of screen time that might help redeem it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yes, the first couple episodes were kind of slow, but it definitely picks up.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Tim Whatley posted:

I don't want to take anything away from Netflix nor do I know the correct place to post this but most of the Viacom poo poo got added to Amazon Instant Prime and even more. I'm talking all Rugrats, Hey Arnold, everything Nick that was on Netflix but now they also have crazy stuff like Are You Afraid of the Dark, Rocket Power, Doug, Kenan and Kel, All That, Hey Dude, and the rest of them. Even obscure ones like Shelby Woo. They also have Comedy Central stuff (minus South Park, of course).

Post it in here. I doubt anybody minds if we talk about Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus stuff.

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is now streaming!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I just watched Safety Not Guaranteed on Netflix and it was a pretty good movie. I mean, I was really unhappy with the ending but except for that it was a nice, droll comedy.

Also, Aubrey Plaza is in it. :swoon:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

I just watched Safety Not Guaranteed on Netflix and it was a pretty good movie. I mean, I was really unhappy with the ending but except for that it was a nice, droll comedy.

Also, Aubrey Plaza is in it. :swoon:

What didn't you like about the ending? It's much better than the alternative (Mark Duplass's character being crazy and this just being another wacky movie about a crazy guy). I feel like, all things considered, it was the best possible ending.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

dik-dik posted:

What didn't you like about the ending? It's much better than the alternative (Mark Duplass's character being crazy and this just being another wacky movie about a crazy guy). I feel like, all things considered, it was the best possible ending.

It felt tacked on and sappy to me. I think the wacky character turning out to be legitimately mentally ill and Aubrey Plaza having to break his heart by telling him to see a doctor and give up on his time machine would have been some nice drama instead of the cliche ending we got. I mean, I still really liked the movie but the ending was offputting. The telsa-coil flamethrower time-airboat made it marginally better, though.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

It felt tacked on and sappy to me. I think the wacky character turning out to be legitimately mentally ill and Aubrey Plaza having to break his heart by telling him to see a doctor and give up on his time machine would have been some nice drama instead of the cliche ending we got. I mean, I still really liked the movie but the ending was offputting. The telsa-coil flamethrower time-airboat made it marginally better, though.

Interesting. I found the ending to be the exact opposite of a cliche ending, but that may be because I've just seen way too many movies where there's some guy going on about some wacky thing like time travel and it turns out he's just crazy, and I felt that Safety Not Guaranteed really set up that trope very well and then subverted it. That said, I pretty much hated the entire love story plotline, but that's probably just I'm tired of those plotlines in general, and I think more movies should be courageous and do without them.

dik-dik has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Jul 7, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dik-Dik that post makes me think you could be my movie watching twin. I'll have to keep an eye on your other opinions for further analysis.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

Interesting. I found the ending to be the exact opposite of a cliche ending, but that may be because I've just seen way too many movies where there's some guy going on about some wacky thing like time travel and it turns out he's just crazy, and I felt that Safety Not Guaranteed really set up that trope very well and then subverted it. That said, I pretty much hated the entire love story plotline, but that's probably just I'm tired of those plotlines in general, and I think more movies should be courageous and do without them.

Since we're doing movie chat, did Kenneth save his sort-of-girlfriend on his first trip back by crashing into her house before the other guy could? That would seem to explain the difference between his memory and what Darius uncovered. But wouldn't he have followed up on the results after he came back to the future?

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
2 seasons into The West Wing, really digging it. I'd recommend it to people who like snappy dialogue and politics, and somehow haven't gotten around to it. There's 156 episodes, 42 minutes long each, enough to occupy your netflixation for a while

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

What are peoples' opinions on Supernatural? I've watched through the first five seasons and it's slowly become more and more of a chore to watch. I liked how the episodes in the first season were almost like miniature horror flicks, and I liked the sort of desperate nature they had to them. It was just these two guys with rock salt in shotguns in a weird and confusing world. As the show moved on, they needed to keep upping the ante, so demons go from being horrifying abominations you can barely handle to the guys who act as fodder. First they get a knife that can kill demons, then Sam gets his special psychic powers, and the plot gets thicker and thicker.

It's kind of a shame, because I really liked the way it started off, but it's getting less action/horror-ish and more drama-centric as it goes on. Don't get me wrong, even the fifth season had episodes I liked, but the season's main plot seems to gobble up more and more episodes while the cool, interesting monster ideas dwindle away.

Oh well, maybe I'll go back and watch the tulpa/Ghostfacers episode again.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I love Supernatural but if you want MotW and dislike the overarching story, then stop at season 5. It was "supposed to be" the series finale, and the MotW stuff goes away from there. It changes tone and becomes a lot about the Heaven-Hell conflict from season 6 to now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I watched the pilot of New Girl since it's on Netflix. Between finding Zooey Deschanel's character extremely grating, and Coach being replaced (by someone who must be inferior, simply by not being Damon Wayans Jr.) is it worth trying a few seasons? My sister says it gets better, but her taste is pretty questionable.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

I watched the pilot of New Girl since it's on Netflix. Between finding Zooey Deschanel's character extremely grating, and Coach being replaced (by someone who must be inferior, simply by not being Damon Wayans Jr.) is it worth trying a few seasons? My sister says it gets better, but her taste is pretty questionable.

It does get a lot better once they decide to make it more of an ensemble comedy instead of focusing on Jess.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Coffee And Pie posted:

I agree with everything you just said and I still think it would be worth it to watch. I wish she was less goofy and more sarcastic (Like Mindy Kaling, for example) but it becomes a pretty good apartment comedy with good moments.

And give Winston a chance! I actually really like his character, especially in season 2.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I rewatched John Dies at the End over the weekend. Forgot what a weird rear end movie that was. Pretty sure I passed out drunk the first time I watched it though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

HOW COULD YOU posted:

2 seasons into The West Wing, really digging it. I'd recommend it to people who like snappy dialogue and politics, and somehow haven't gotten around to it. There's 156 episodes, 42 minutes long each, enough to occupy your netflixation for a while

Yesssssss, keep going. All seven seasons are great. I'm actually thinking about rewatching it all, but there's so much content it's daunting. Absolutely great series, though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Coffee And Pie posted:

Once they realize that the other guys in the apartment are way better characters than Zooey Deschanel's character, the show really takes off. It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I watched Hit and Run the other day and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard (who helped write and direct). It gets a little sappy for a car chase movie but there are quite a few hilarious moments.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Enjoying Borgia:Faith and Fear with the Mrs. at the moment. Definitely different from the Showtime series; not as "lush," looking (my opinion) but makes up for the visuals by giving a better feel for the politics and scheming amongst the players of the time. A non-European as the Pope is a bit jarring in terms of not having an accent per se (to my American ears at any rate), but that is a minor quibble on my part.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Djeser posted:

What are peoples' opinions on Supernatural? I've watched through the first five seasons and it's slowly become more and more of a chore to watch. I liked how the episodes in the first season were almost like miniature horror flicks, and I liked the sort of desperate nature they had to them. It was just these two guys with rock salt in shotguns in a weird and confusing world. As the show moved on, they needed to keep upping the ante, so demons go from being horrifying abominations you can barely handle to the guys who act as fodder. First they get a knife that can kill demons, then Sam gets his special psychic powers, and the plot gets thicker and thicker.

It's kind of a shame, because I really liked the way it started off, but it's getting less action/horror-ish and more drama-centric as it goes on. Don't get me wrong, even the fifth season had episodes I liked, but the season's main plot seems to gobble up more and more episodes while the cool, interesting monster ideas dwindle away.

Oh well, maybe I'll go back and watch the tulpa/Ghostfacers episode again.

Yeah, if you don't like Season 5, time to give up watching it. There are some monster of the week episodes in the later seasons, but Season 5 is usually considered to be pretty much the pinnacle of the show, and a shift from weekly stand alone episodes to an over-arching plot. The later seasons had that too, but the season long stories are significantly weaker than Season 5's.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Very much worth it. If you are marathoning it, you may notice a couple of character types that reoccur (sarcastic and argumentative short blond women, for example), and some of the characters all seem to be the same guy at times, but it never had a bad season and the show is probably one of the best ever aired.

Plus, when you watch Cabin in the Woods you can say "Holy poo poo look! it's Lemon Lymon!"

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just powered through both seasons of The Killing. While it could have been condensed into 12 episodes in total and been much better for it, I still enjoyed it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't watch Expendables 2.
It is a Bad Movie.

Go watch Expendables 2.
It's terrible and marvelous if you're into 80's cheese.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
FYI, the Mark Wahlberg hosting the Antiques Roadshow on Netflix is not the Mark Wahlberg you're thinking of.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Everybody owes it to themselves to check out The Good, The Bad, The Weird. It's a super high budget South Korean love letter to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly set in 1930s Manchuria. Yes, it's as awesome as that sounds.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HelmetCheese posted:

Everybody owes it to themselves to check out The Good, The Bad, The Weird. It's a super high budget South Korean love letter to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly set in 1930s Manchuria. Yes, it's as awesome as that sounds.

This is also a great introduction to South Korean cinema, too, and some of the big current stars.

I think the film is "Raiders of the Lost Ark" level of entertaining, just an extremely fun ride.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
If you enjoy sorta-doofy fantasy with some surprisingly decent action, check out The Butcher, the Chef, and the Swordsman. It may not blow you away but it's still a really fun romp.

HelmetCheese posted:

And if you enjoy that one, both I Saw the Devil and Doomsday Book are worth watching, though they're both very different (Doomsday Book is three shorts, but two of the three are pretty great).

J. Alfred Prufrock has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Jul 14, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Ultimate Force is a surprisingly good show about the daily lives of the SAS. Pretty much your standard cop show with the new guy getting into the organization and becoming one of them and they all bitch about the job and have troubles at home while off-duty, but with less feelings and more murder. Kinda goes to crap after the second series though, when nobody except the guy playing the Sergeant wanted to come back, not even for a death scene -- the entire ensemble cast is killed off in the opening minutes of S3E1 in the form of masked body doubles, and then it's just "monster of the week" sort of plots with little character development.

The terrorists are very much of the times (mid-'90s), but you can't hold that against it, really. There's an episode with a hijacked airliner, with predictable pre-9/11-in-the-UK results (pretty sure that actually happened, the SAS hitting a hijacked airliner).

It was created by an actual SAS trooper, "Chris Ryan", one of the survivors of the infamous Bravo Two Zero raid, the movie of which is also on Netflix instant. Based on the book by "Andy McNab", played by Sean Bean, in one of the few roles where he's the lead and doesn't die.

(Names in quotes because the SAS is the opposite of the French Foreign Legion -- in the Legion, you take a fake name upon entering so nobody knows of your past crimes; in the SAS, you take a pseudonym upon leaving ... so that nobody knows of your past crimes. The other survivors of B20 are apparently using their real names and not writing books that portray the Regiment as Her Majesty's Hitmen.)

(There's a scene in Ultimate Force where the less-hardened troopers realize they are Her Majesty's Hitmen and have a brief moral debate over it, by the way)

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 14, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The new Netflix original show Orange is the New Black is really great. It comes from the creator of Weeds, and plays a similar dark humor. It's about a nice little white girl going to prison after getting involved in a lesbian relationship with a major drug mover played by Laura Prepon. Jason Biggs is also in it, playing the fiancee of the nice white girl turned inmate.

Give it a shot.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

the creator of Weeds, similar. little white girl going to prison lesbian relationship major drug mover

Im confused, these are all huge red flags that the show should be downright awful. The first episode of one of the worst seasons of Weeds was when Nancy (a little white girl) goes to prison and gets into a lesbian relationship after getting involved with a major drug mover.

I think Jenji Kohan is trying to live out a fantasy that she is too old and ugly to have herself. Even if its really a train wreck I'm going to have to check it out.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
ITS SO loving GOOD!!!

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

If you enjoy sorta-doofy fantasy with some surprisingly decent action, check out The Butcher, the Chef, and the Swordsman. It may not blow you away but it's still a really fun romp.

And if you enjoy that one, both I Saw the Devil and Doomsday Book are worth watching, though they're both very different (Doomsday Book is three shorts, but two of the three are pretty great).

Thanks, I've seen a couple big South Korean movies (Oldboy, can't remember what else) and have been meaning to check out more stuff. Any other good suggestions? My netflix queue could always use more titles.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Mother
Memories Of Murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The Man From Nowhere is an awesome South Korean movie. It's a more badass version of the movie Taken, with awesome fights.

And The Host is a great monster flick, with some very dark comedy.

• Locked thread